Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  38 mins ago
 amigakit:  46 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is it me or all is boring...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Is it me or all is boring...
Posted on 26-Jun-2018 21:45:09
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I can't really say that IT and tech in general is as exciting for me these days. I think I'll probably have to take the plunge and build my own PeeCee in the near future. I actually like Windows 7 though Windows 10 is a bit of a chore Apple have horrendously dropped the ball with the Mac platform. I always considered iMovie and iDVD as a killer app combo (and still do). However, they first stopped support for iDVD and then they completely redesigned iMovie so that it is a confusing mess without 'Chapter Marker' support. They compounded this with never updating OpenGL post 2010 thereby killing gaming on the Mac

All this and I haven't even got started about the incoming switch to ARM chips, the rumours that macOS 10.14 will completely phase out OpenGL in favour of the Metal API and the imminent removal of 32-bit application support!

Frontier are actually in the process of dropping Mac support for Elite Dangerous! I really can't see the platform in general remaining viable in the long run as Final Cut Pro has been pointlessly redesigned in the last 5 years leading many to jump ship to Adobe Premiere. The Apple tax continues to scale new ridiculous heights, the iMac Pro has no Apple support yet (see Linus on YouTube) and all the R&D goes on thinner and thinner low power iOS devices! It makes sense the last Mac will be invisible

It really makes the Amiga World seem a lot more interesting to be honest. Apple can shove macOS Mojave where the sun don't shine along with more and more expensive Apple laptops with less and less features (unless you count less aluminium as a feature ).

On my ideal evening I'd edit some home video on iMovie / iDVD booting into Mountain Lion, play Elite Dangerous using BootCamp and then I'd shut the fruity laptop down and play 'Worthy' and mess around with Deluxe Paint on a 'real computer'

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jun-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 26-Jun-2018 21:56:14
#22 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@thellier
..... I still can't get a straight answer as to whether you can use a Rapid Road with the Prisma Megamix card clock port. Just makes you want to get on and use the machine rather than ask questions that only ever get answered with "When it's done " or silence .....

ya know we tried many many...many times

@ all

checking amiga forums is an instinct in me now after all these years and I don't care about Facebook etc as I've gotten so much help for my miggies and chatted with some great people over the years on Amiga forums and I can tell you that we have the best community of users around (known trolls aside )
heck I even find new stuff in the scene every time I read Amiga Future so always some thing going on for all my miggies (68k & PPC) ...still impressed after all these years for a supposed dead platform lol

to think I can still buy and play new games on my Amiga 1000 and C64 right now in 2018 not to mention all the great new hardware project for our miggies and people still complain

Last edited by klx300r on 26-Jun-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Last edited by klx300r on 26-Jun-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Last edited by klx300r on 26-Jun-2018 at 09:57 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Hans 
Posted on 27-Jun-2018 2:46:52
#23 ]
Elite Member

@thellier & others

Yes, there's not too much being released right now, and things like Tabor are taking longer than anticipated.

So, what are you going to do to liven up this community? One great thing about a community like this is that anyone can join in and start creating interesting/fun stuff. The more of us who actually do this, the better.

When it comes to things like GLES2/Warp3D Nova, they're only interesting if others write apps/games that take advantage of them. Plus, more developers using them results in faster improvements (e.g., kas1e working on GL4ES has resulted in bug-fixes & other improvements). I know there's more 3D stuff in the pipeline, but it would be great if more developers started using the new capabilities.

@all
Consider this thread a call for you to step up and start creating.

Hans

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jun-2018 4:28:53
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

lets bring back the traditional endless drama and what if debtes, where the members have proven to be most creative in the past. the supply of hot air smoke and mirrors must have dried up!

jPV 
Posted on 27-Jun-2018 5:57:27
#25 ]
Cult Member

@thellier

Quote:

thellier wrote:
Morphos: ditto last time it got my interest was when support for G4 PowerBook and G5 appears then a big sleep

I think it's been very lively on MorphOS lately after the 3.10 release. MorphZone forums have been more active than a long time with real discussion instead of some speculation, new software releases coming nicely, including "state of the art" email client betas, image processing program, Hollywood apps, etc. MorphOS Storage also gets new software releases regularly, I think it's been fun time lately and I don't have time to test everything I'd want.

ASiegel 
Posted on 27-Jun-2018 10:04:03
#26 ]

@wawa

Quote:

i could actually share my image of a vmware linux cross compile development environment, if only it didnt grow too big and a bit too old by now. however it wouldnt be a problem to prepare a ready to go fresh smaller one everybody could grow at will with gparted.

all it needs is time.

It should be a worthwhile project. If you included some notes on how to compile an executables and how to fetch the latest sources to stay current, that should provide everything needed for interested developers to start getting involved.

amigang 
Posted on 27-Jun-2018 14:33:51
#27 ]
Elite Member

I have to say on the software front for Amiga it is a bit slow, we do seem to be getting the odd great game (tower52/Spencer) but I really would like to see/hear updates on the LibreOffice port that purposely got to beta nearly a year ago, odd that it would make it to that stage and no word on update since, plus a browser update, I know there the bug, but it would be nice if some kind of solution could be found, as its a shame that a solution to a lot of the lack of apps/software could be solved with up to date browser with online apps (but they are starting to become less reliable on the old webkit running on odyssey).

I'm nearly given up on AmigaOS4.2 news. I guess we wont hear anything until after the court case and even then I just feel Hyperion haven't got the resources to develop it any more.

however else where on the Amiga scene I feel things are picking up not slowing down, just looking in the news of my last issue of Amiga Future and we got
A4000+, AmyITX, Morphos 3.10 (support for x5000), checkmaste 1500+ case, A1200 cases in shops, A500 case kickstarter, OS3.1 update, WinUAE 4.0, various Amiga Book kickstarters, vampier v4 update, new linux kernals for AmigaONE system etc

So I feel for 2018 were not doing to bad

Hans 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 2:19:05
#28 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

lets bring back the traditional endless drama and what if debtes, where the members have proven to be most creative in the past. the supply of hot air smoke and mirrors must have dried up!

Let me get some more popcorn first, please.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 28-Jun-2018 at 02:50 AM.

tommysammy 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 11:06:47
#29 ]
Cult Member

@all
Meanwhile i sold my X5000 and using only my Amiga600 with Vampire2.
There is no AmigaOs4.1 developing anymore and will be never happen again

Last edited by tommysammy on 28-Jun-2018 at 11:07 AM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 11:30:13
#30 ]
Elite Member

@tommysammy

Quote:

How do you know this?

tommysammy 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 13:22:43
#31 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Look back from 2018-2010. The last few years was so less developing, it is a bad joke.
Enhancer developing is really good and fast. Hope that A-Eon get the rights for Os developing

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 13:28:29
#32 ]
Elite Member

@tommysammy

Quote:
Meanwhile i sold my X5000 and using only my Amiga600 with Vampire2.

probably the best choice. ive just dig up one of my a1200 in a vanilla state and set it up for my brother to play with. hooked it up to an lcd tv and almost all floppies that i had not touched in twenty years simply worked.

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 13:36:04
#33 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

@tommysammy

Quote:

How do you know this?

He doesn't it's a completely false statement...

tommysammy 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 13:56:04
#34 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

It ist only the feeling of me and many others

sinisrus 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 15:05:12
#35 ]

@broadblues

and for AmigaOs4.2?

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 15:24:35
#36 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@sinisrus

It's not a seperate thing.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 16:57:56
#37 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I actually like Windows 10. Well, there are a few things that annoy me still but they are things like windows always coming to the front when you click on them whether you want them to or not, and I've gotten to the stage where I've given up swearing at such features. As much as possible if I need to do something I turn to Linux first and try to utilise a Raspberry Pi for the task. My Amiga dev environment largely consists of running Git on a Pi and accessing the data over Samba/smbfs and building natively (my cross-compile environment is in a Linux VM, I thought about trying to move that to a Pi too but I don't have the time and cba to fix the resulting fallout). I'm using the Amiga (OS4) less and less. In fact I can count the things I use it for on the fingers of one hand:
1. A collection of website-related spreadsheets I'm not keen on rewriting the macros of
2. An upload script which makes uploading changed website files as simple as a double-click (rsync could do this better - I already use it to do a backup in the other direction - but again it involves time and inclination to change my process)
3. A mailing list which goes into a nicely threading mailer, which I usually read unthreaded on my phone anyway
4. TuneNet which should be easy to find an alternative for.
5. Dev stuff which more often than not I cross compile, so the Amiga involvement is testing, and if I'm not using the Amiga I have less reason to write software for it, so...

It's literally just some time and point 1 that is stopping me from disconnecting it.

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 17:29:06
#38 ]

@thread

if chris young is close to walking away from the amiga, i hope that's a wake-up call for people running this show. you're talking about a significant developer of amiga software here. many of us are close to dropping the whole thing over the lack of movement and progress. the only thing that seems to be progressing is enhancer. that's it.

-- eliyahu

K-L 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 18:22:05
#39 ]

@thread

This is exactly what many (a lot in fact) are thinking (in France, everything related to AmigaOS 4.1 has slowed donc a lot anb forums are more than quiet).

Why ? Because everything is done in shadows. NDA prevent everyone from talking. Talking about what ? Who knows ? Maybe nothing...

A-Eon and Hyperion won't talk about anything either. This lack of information regarding development just conforts people that want to leave and play with something else.

And when something comes, it will be too late since there won't be anyone left to try and use it (or so few...).

We thought that ESP could give som breath but there hasn't been any update and the fothcoming one is far from being there (Polaris support will come when no more new cards will be sold).

So what now ? Who could light the fire again ?

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jun-2018 18:29:12
#40 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

simple. take the subject of your attraction for what it is, not what it could be. genuine amiga scene works like this. you can always have some improvement, but people are picky. what it constitutes of is cool enough as such. the expectations are hard to transgress for any ng spin off of amiga sytem, as it brings as much handicaps as improvements.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle