Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Luc:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 kolla:  40 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Hyperion Fires Team Lead and Core Developer
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
cap 
Re: Hyperion Fires Team Lead and Core Developer
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 8:01:35
#81 ]

@ssolie

Hello ssolie,
I`ve just start reading David Pleasance`s book. Will you be releasing a similar type insider book once your "nda" runs out.
You know it will sell. :)

OS4.1 latest update.
1ghz Radeon Club3d 9250
Usb/Dma fixed.

Profile     Report this post  
kas1e 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 8:07:13
#82 ]
Elite Member

@davebraco
Nope, i didnt confuse, it was quote from tony, i just forgot to put @tony before quote, fixed

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 9:09:15
#83 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Costel (one of the directors of Hyperion) posted on a german forum that too much was promised, including SMP-Support. It is a little strange that the former "speaker" of Hyperion still inisists on that nonsense. Still in his role as entertainer?

broadblues 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 12:20:14
#84 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@OlafS25

Quote:

Costel (one of the directors of Hyperion) posted on a german forum that too much was promised, including SMP-Support. It is a little strange that the former "speaker" of Hyperion still inisists on that nonsense. Still in his role as entertainer?

Too much was promise for 4.2 was the point (and he was right they never should have promised such an ambitious feature set) not that these things would never be a thing.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 12:37:21
#85 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Too much was promise for 4.2 was the point (and he was right they never should have promised such an ambitious feature set) not that these things would never be a thing.

This is why it will be many year before AmigaOS hits version 4.2

Other than that who cares? Steve Solie was trying to drum up excitement and he over promised. I can understand that. At least he kept peoples' interest. Hyperion are a very dull legal company with no friendly public face to show their customers. Even Ben Hermans who purports to like the Amiga and seems to have (in the past) showed a reasonable amount of enthusiasm for the platform, at the VCF in Bletchley Park in 2010 simply stood with his arms folded for most of the time (as did the head Varysis guy by the way so he's not the only 'suit' in Amiga land).

However, the point is without people like Trevor and Steve Solie there would be ZERO point of going to these Amiga launches / shows. It is the personalities that matter and if the Tabor gets a decent feature set and AmigaOS port at the time of launch then frankly at this point in the madness that is the Amiga's history, that would be a bonus!

... but what do we actually remember from the shows / forums / KickStarter Projects etc?

Trevor's socks?

Steve Solie's over the top laugh?

The catchphrase: "What happens at Amiga shows stays at Amiga shows!"

Stephen Jones' dance after his KickStarter was successful for the 2018 version Checkmate A1500 Plus case?

Summary: It's Amiga personalities that keep us here!

Last edited by BigD on 18-Mar-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Kremlar 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 12:50:41
#86 ]

@sundown

Quote:
As well as all the beta testers, but we signed up more to help Trevor get his new systems going, me for the X1000. Steven is still coding for the newer systems & plans to keep doing so.

Understood. But if someone doesn't want to sign an NDA, then don't sign it. I'm not sure why there needs to be a "law" to stop NDAs. Government already has too much control over our lives.

Last edited by Kremlar on 18-Mar-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Kremlar 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 13:01:11
#87 ]

@kolla

Quote:
So you would prefer that authorities make it illegal for corporations to trick dumbasses into signing silly NDAs? You really find this necessary? Why can't you and others simply have enough spine and guts to not sign nonsensical NDAs??

Some people feel the need to have laws to protect them from their own free actions.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 13:09:45
#88 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Sounds like your describing someone paying protection money and shooting the messenger.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 13:10:49
#89 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze 

Damn it I can't press it either.

But at least I figured one thing out, the logical answer is (2b), that I know.

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Mar-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 13:41:27
#90 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
Multicore support is still a priority. 64-bit support depends on what you mean exactly. We already support large files and hard drives for example. The ExtMem feature allows access to RAM outside the 32-bit address space.

I think this can be answered easily in a logical fashion. So for 64-bit, it's not just 64-bit disk support, or being able to perform 64-bit math and operations on data. Like OS3 had 32-bit optimsed routines and could also take advantage of 64-bit math instructions; so it is with OS4 that can use the FPU for 64-bit data transfer or vectors for 128-bit operations.

But, taking it to a logical conclusion, what would be 64-bit here would obviously be a 64-bit version of AmigaOS; with all pointers being 64-bit, with 64-bit address space or rather here the max range the hardware supports and max integer size being 64-bit.

Of course AmigaOS would need an overhaul for that to happen. But it's been due for a long time. And I start to think if it should have been what OS4 is in the first place. Compatibility, which is only for OS friendly applications and games, I see as no big deal since it was all emulated anyway. API wrappers can be written to cleanly seperate a superfical AmigaOS from a real modern AmigaOS.

The way it is now we would need a 68K emulation later as well as a classic OS4 PPC emulation layer. So be it. Also finding a standard language to replace the original C would be good if the OOP trend is to continue. Hacking OOP into C may have been acceptable over 20 years ago but would be a bit unacceptable today. The API needs a clean up.

@All

Regarding an NDA I signed one as well. Just paperwork really. You'd have to be a pretty stupid spy to sign one in order to gain trade secrets and abusively spread them. That sort of person would deserve the wrath of a contract and a large fine.

In any case I don't see a big deal. It has enabled me to contribute to AmigaOS, in my own way, which otherwise would not happen. And after all, when people get married don't they sign a PNA? Soundslike an NDA.

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Mar-2019 at 01:52 PM.

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 14:01:30
#91 ]

Good to hear.
The less voice Hyperion have the better.

Kremlar 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 14:21:42
#92 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Regarding an NDA I signed one as well. Just paperwork really. You'd have to be a pretty stupid spy to sign one in order to gain trade secrets and abusively spread them. That sort of person would deserve the wrath of a contract and a large fine.

I agree, no big deal. Until you lose your position of importance in the "club" and start making excuses for your prior actions. And cry for the government to make NDAs illegal just because you signed one and apparently have regrets about it.

If I was doing free work for a company and they asked me to sign an NDA I'd tell them to shove it. I mean, what are they going to do? Take someone else's free time instead? Go ahead! LOL

If I wanted to be part of the "club" perhaps I'd sign it, but you wouldn't hear me complaining about it later. Because I'd know what I signed.

NDAs in this situation are stupid anyway. There is no significant money in this market. It's more about control than anything else.

Last edited by Kremlar on 18-Mar-2019 at 02:22 PM.

PR 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 15:24:55
#93 ]

We Need Petro Back and the dancing Girls. That makes things Happen;)

In Love Of This Secret Hobby can't understand all the blaa.

Signing a secret document in Silent Service II.

number6 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 15:52:42
#94 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

(evil grin)

amigasociety 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 19:04:11
#95 ]
Cult Member

@mbrantley

Yeh, when Steven was in charge... seemed we had all sorts of updates happening. Was great no matter even if small updates or bug fixes.

Now for years things changed and we don't get any updates.

Sad state in my opinion...

To outsiders, it all seems like a dead platform with zilch going on, even if there is.

Why not get those updates in customers hands! Keep us occupied and enjoying the platform.

As of late I am finding less and less to enjoy about Amiga NG myself other than outside developers making some neat apps and such.

In terms of the OS, seems dead. Sad.

TJ

deadduckni 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 19:31:18
#96 ]

@amigasociety

OS dead? Sadly based on Hyperion’s public official performance you are patently 100% correct. Privately, I am not so certain. A number of very productive and reliable AmigaOS developers assure me that work continues apace... Unfortunately for the end user the visibility of this work sums out to zero.

The number of excellent devs still working tirelessly on the OS and subsystems amazes me. As an end user the steady stream of their outputs keeps me engaged and entertained. For this I am extremely grateful! Thanks all :)

amigasociety 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 20:21:25
#97 ]
Cult Member

@deadduckni

Indeed.

Just seems to make 100% sense for them to release some of the updates so end users can enjoy.

I mean.... WHY NOT?

What do they LOSE?

It would make all our lives that much better computing wise.

Makes ZERO sense to me holding it back for years and years, which has been the case since the last public updates.

My X5K still has the same exact OS as 2+ years ago when I purchased it with no updates since.

TJ

deadduckni 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 20:32:51
#98 ]

@amigasociety

Same here with the X1K. However the ESP from A-AEon has been a superb alternative. Have you used it?

amigakit 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 20:33:34
#99 ]
Amiga Kit

Quote:
My X5K still has the same exact OS as 2+ years ago when I purchased it with no updates since.

@amigasociety

I have to respectfully disagree and the rest of the AmigaDeveloper Team would too

We have released three major upgrades to the Enhancer Software over the last two years for benefit of all X5000 users. The Enhancer Software significantly updates the entire system: MultiViewer, MultiEdit, X-Dock 2, Updater tool, Sound DT Classes and many new libraries and classes. Just view here for the many updates that have been released in last two years: https://www.amisphere.com/updater

It hs been a lot of hard work and I hope you have it installed and not using the basic OS from 5 years ago.

Warp3D Nova, OpenGL ES 2.0, RadeonHD and RadeonRX are large bodies of work and trailblazing for this platform. We are ensuring software support continues and our customers are not forgotten.

Last edited by amigakit on 18-Mar-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 18-Mar-2019 at 08:34 PM.

deadduckni 
Posted on 18-Mar-2019 20:38:22
#100 ]

@amigakit

I think TJ is referring to official Hyperion releases...

Hyperion have been carried by third party developers for years. Something significantly disruptive needs to happen. Soon.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle