Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5630 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel

Who's Online
37 crawler(s) on-line.
 35 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AP

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AP:  2 mins ago
 jPV:  21 mins ago
 olsen:  21 mins ago
 gregthecanuck:  29 mins ago
 Argo:  38 mins ago
 Trixie:  43 mins ago
 Yssing:  56 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 spud101:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Amiga_3k:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Interviews with Hyperion and MorphOS teams coming so get your questions in
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
hth313 
Re: Interviews with Hyperion and MorphOS teams coming so get your questions in
Posted on 30-Jun-2019 20:08:56
#81 ]

I am not familiar with Windows 10, I use Windows 8 a little bit. I am well aware that the market share for Windows is very big compared to anything else and most people actually care very little what operating system they use.

One example, my sister-in-law was getting a PC, she is a typical PC user. I asked about Linux, but that was not interesting at all, no one can understand that. Some time later at a hotel they had some courtesy browsing computers and she was sitting and using one. I looked at it and realized that it was not running Windows (it was in fact running Linux). So I asked her, does it work well to use that computer, any problems? No problems at all came the reply.

If you go back some decades Unix workstation was a niche market that eventually disappeared, killed by the PC. PC people I met at the time had no good feelings about workstations and rather hoped it would go away, porting software to something they did not use or understand was no fun for them.

The thing is that if you look around today, Unix like systems are really everywhere, so what I mean is that in some way Unix eventually won. Few really cares.

While I enjoy using Unix, I am well aware that it is hardly the best system ever, though its command line and the Unix philosofy makes is more than good enough IMO.

To be a little bit on topic. I do not have any questions for either of these two camps as they have made it very clear that they intend to hide the source code from people, thinking that a pay-ware Amiga OS is the way to go. I think they are living in the past, but that is my opinion and their choice.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2019 13:38:19
#82 ]

@hth313

Quote:
I am not familiar with Windows 10, I use Windows 8 a little bit. I am well aware that the market share for Windows is very big compared to anything else and most people actually care very little what operating system they use.

Yes, Microsoft Windows has secured the second position in global operating system market share at 35.78%, with 3th position being at 13.8%

(Statistics from here)

Quote:
The thing is that if you look around today, Unix like systems are really everywhere, so what I mean is that in some way Unix eventually won. Few really cares.

Yes, I remember how many people used to (and some still) dream about "Linux overtaking Windows".

And now that it has happened without a question, people are all like

Last edited by Jupp3 on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Last edited by Jupp3 on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:43 PM.

number6 
Posted on 16-Jul-2019 14:50:28
#83 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Quote:
I now have loads of questions for both and I am waiting times from Hyperion and will contact MorphOS team over weekend.

If you are just waiting "times" from Hyperion then that tells me you had response/acceptance.

You told us Mike would speak for Cloanto.

How about telling us who will speak for Hyperion?

Good luck with MorphOS team btw.

amigang 
Posted on 16-Jul-2019 15:10:21
#84 ]

@Jupp3

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Pretty cool seeing Amiga listed (not just in the Other camp) but how can we be at 0%, it should at least be 0.0001% of something should'nt it be!

bison 
Posted on 16-Jul-2019 16:38:46
#85 ]

@amigang

The glass is 0.0001% full.

Windows is still too high. A single company having more than 50-percent of the market is never good. The only way I see that changing is if Apple were to introduce a cheaper line of Macs, and I don't think that's very likely.

~

I am waiting for the interviews with great anticipation. The last one was really good, and I hope these will be as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle