Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  26 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 30 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  ZitaFTP(S) Server from Hans De Ruiter
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
K-L 
Re: ZitaFTP(S) Server from Hans De Ruiter
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 16:30:02
#21 ]

@Samurai

It's a server software, not a client one.

If you want a free FTP server, try ftpd (it doesn't support FTPS but works without any problem at all).

@Trixie

Dévelopers can charge whatever they decide to. And I'm free to say that I think the price is a little bit high for this kind of sofwtare.

I'll stick with ftpd.

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 16:40:00
#22 ]

@K-L

Good to know, didn't pay full attention, probably because I'm not interested in this.

Templario 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 17:58:48
#23 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor
You have reason, also I have a limit because this is a hobby, although there are people tbat forgot it.
The people has their money to spent in this hobby or others, but lastly the habit is ask 50 euros or more.
When the developers ask 50 euros they are in right to value their work but if the people don't pay this prices and they have low sales, perhaps here is the problem, so as not to attract new users.

Trixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 19:20:04
#24 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Templario

Quote:
if the people don't pay this prices and they have low sales, perhaps here is the problem, so as not to attract new users.

We have had low-priced software in the AmiStore for several years now, and it didn't attract many new users. AmigaOS4.1 FE has been sold for less than 30 EUR since 2015, and it didn't attract many new users. So the price is apparently not the problem.

Software can take months, even years to write, and it is written by people who need to pay bills just like you. Telling them they should sell it for peanuts because "Amiga is a hobby" is a slap in the face of the few people who still burn the midnight oil so that you can enjoy your hobby.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 20:26:19
#25 ]
Elite Member

@All
Tried trial version, and .. and when i tried to login via total commander from win32 to zita where i setup to share "work:" partiiont, it take pretty long time to open up list of directories ! I mean really long , about 30 seconds to just showup the listing and about every 30 seconds to just come up to any directory. Something weird happens. Maybe lots of debug output left, or anything of that sort ?

And i even didn't use "encrypted" connections, just pure ones.

Its like it trying to cache things, dunno.

Cheese 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 20:45:20
#26 ]

If you can live without (s)...

http://aminet.net/search?query=ftpd

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

Cheese 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 20:48:01
#27 ]

If you can live without (s)...

http://aminet.net/search?query=ftpd

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

Hans 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 22:36:24
#28 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Hans

40 Euros ??? For only one computer ? /

No sorry, way too expensive. And I don't think you'll sell many with this price

In your opinion, what would be needed to make it worth 40 Euros?

Quote:
10€ woud be the maximum I think. I don't blame the work being done but, hey, 40€ !!

When I looked what other people charged for their servers, I found FTP servers that sstarted at $199 USD, $299 USD, and even $599 USD. Granted, they have more features and are geared more toward businesses and enterprise, but I'm not charging anywhere near that.

Plus, none of those companies are going to put in the extra time needed to port their software to AmigaOS. And, getting it to work on AmigaOS too a surprising amount of extra time because I had to work around bugs (e.g., AmiSSL not working as it should), compiler/stdlib issues (e.g., workarounds needed to get std::to_string()), missing features (network functions that don't exist), and limited tools (e.g., lack of a working debugger, sgit being slow and clunky in its current state). That's extra time that I could have used for other things.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 22:40:08
#29 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@All
Tried trial version, and .. and when i tried to login via total commander from win32 to zita where i setup to share "work:" partiiont, it take pretty long time to open up list of directories ! I mean really long , about 30 seconds to just showup the listing and about every 30 seconds to just come up to any directory. Something weird happens. Maybe lots of debug output left, or anything of that sort ?

Nope. I tried Total Commander, and directory listings were near instant. That was over a secure connection too. Alas, Total Commander's SSL/TLS appears to be broken, so file transfers frequently fail.

The quality of FTP clients on Android is disappointing. AndFTP won't even list directories because it checks the system type, doesn't know what "AmigaOS" is, and bails out. I've been told that other clients have issues too.

Meanwhile, gigabytes and thousands of files have been transferred quickly using Filezilla...

Hans

ktadd 
Posted on 5-Sep-2019 23:16:52
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Hans
Quote:
AndFTP won't even list directories because it checks the system type, doesn't know what "AmigaOS" is, and bails out.

Hmm...not sure what the difference is but I use AndFTP all the time to connect with my X1000 using
A-FTP_Server. Haven't had a chance to try with ZitaFTP(s) yet. Maybe a difference between a secure and unsecured connection?

...thanks for the new secure ftp server. I've purchased it.

Last edited by ktadd on 05-Sep-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Last edited by ktadd on 05-Sep-2019 at 11:20 PM.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 2:25:47
#31 ]

@Hans

well, for me, price is fine, since I want a server, It really needs the GUI.

Last edited by SACC-dude on 06-Sep-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 3:16:18
#32 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Quote:

SACC-dude wrote:
@Hans

well, for me, price is fine, since I want a server, It really needs the GUI.

Good to hear.

To clarify (so that those who haven't tried it themselves don't get the wrong idea), there is a makeshift quick-configure GUI that helps you set up the server. Have a look at Skateman's video.

It's a pre-release. So it's good enough to be truly useful, but not done yet.

I'm planning to write a full-featured web based GUI plus a docky, all of which pre-release buyers will get as soon as its ready.

Hans

Skateman 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 5:56:17
#33 ]

@ALL

The setup of ZitaFTP server is straight forward and clear!
Starting the ZitaFTP Server with the --echolog option gives you a good realtime log of what is happening on the server.

I will create a new video of the Pre-Release 1.7 version i have bought to show it.
Just transferd the WHDload DEMO pack which consists of around 1300 directories with 7000+ files withous any issues from Windows 10 Filezilla client to ZitaFTP Server on 0S4.1 FE.

I am happy with Zita as it is, and knowing it will be developed further and getting support and updates makes the 39 euro no problem at all.

Last edited by Skateman on 06-Sep-2019 at 06:16 AM.

jap 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 6:15:30
#34 ]

@Hans

Hi Hans,

Just tested ZitaFTP server with Mac's FTP client (Cyberduck) and it cannot access the server. There is one error and one warning in the ZitaFTP's log:

Unrecognized command: STAT /
Received LIST with parameter: -a. Not supported

Skateman 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 6:20:47
#35 ]

@jap

You could try to switch from active to passive

Cyberduck
Choose between an ​Active (PORT) or Passive (PASV) connect mode per bookmark or when opening a new connection. The default setting can be set in the System Preferences in Network → Advanced... → Proxies → Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)

kas1e 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 6:56:14
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Hans
Quote:

Nope. I tried Total Commander, and directory listings were near instant.

Not for me for sure. It take 30 seconds for each go to any directory.

Quote:

That was over a secure connection too.

As i say i tested NOT on secure connection, instead on plain one. I specially disable it when configure window popup, as i was in needs to test non-secured connections.

Quote:

Alas, Total Commander's SSL/TLS appears to be broken, so file transfers frequently fail.

And seems it happens to be broken only with Zita ? If so, workarounds need it imho

Quote:

The quality of FTP clients on Android is disappointing. AndFTP won't even list directories because it checks the system type, doesn't know what "AmigaOS" is, and bails out. I've been told that other clients have issues too.

But all others ftp serves on amigaos4 works with no probs and with totalcommander and with any android devices. So, seems workarounds or fixes need it again.

Hans 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 7:31:22
#37 ]
Elite Member

@jap
I've added the STAT command to the to-do list. Can you get CyberDuck to remove the "-a" from LIST?

@kas1e
Quote:
Not for me for sure. It take 30 seconds for each go to any directory.

Please contact me privately. Maybe we can figure out what's going wrong.

Quote:
And seems it happens to be broken only with Zita ? If so, workarounds need it imho

Okay wise guy, how do I do add workarounds for TLS communication failures? There are three possible causes:
1. Total Commander's SSL/TLS implementation is broken
2. AmiSSL is broken
3. There's some kind of conflict between AmiSSL and Total Commander's SSL/TLS implementation (i.e., both violate the protocol spec. in some way)

None of those are under my control. Meanwhile, we get no TLS errors with Filezilla...

@all

I'd appreciate it if people who are having trouble with ZitaFTP Server would contact me directly rather than posting on forums. I normally don't check or post on AW.net very often, and I can't go scour all the forums for "bug reports."

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 06-Sep-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Last edited by Hans on 06-Sep-2019 at 07:31 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 11:17:59
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Hans
Quote:

Please contact me privately. Maybe we can figure out what's going wrong.

Not that i really need Zitaserver for myself , i most of time just use usb-stick. I only report it to make you know that there issue. It can be non implemented "stat" command, or dunno what. Not sure if i want you to loose your time on any of my bug reports about Zita, all i want is warp3dnova bugfixes.

Quote:

Okay wise guy, how do I do add workarounds for TLS communication failures? There are three possible causes:
1. Total Commander's SSL/TLS implementation is broken
2. AmiSSL is broken
3. There's some kind of conflict between AmiSSL and Total Commander's SSL/TLS implementation (i.e., both violate the protocol spec. in some way)

None of those are under my control. Meanwhile, we get no TLS errors with Filezilla...

I only know that TotalCommander use millions ppls, and if there was / is issue they or already fixed, or if reported will be fixed. But its not in my interest to spend time there to understand what happens. But i can made only one logical and safe assumption: if totallcommander use millions users, and problems happens now with Zita , then to blame totalcommander kind of naive.

And, about that "not under my control". Warp3dnova , ogles2.library, gl4es all of them not under my control either, and still, i trying to find issues myself and report it to those under which control it are. So probably with Zita you need to find where problem is and report it, right ?:)

ps. Btw, is everything build with -O3 with Zita ? -O3 is very good test for hiden bugs.

Last edited by kas1e on 06-Sep-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 06-Sep-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Last edited by kas1e on 06-Sep-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Skateman 
Posted on 6-Sep-2019 21:43:06
#39 ]

@all

For those interested i have created a new video using ZitaFTP Server on my X5k.
Client connection done by Filezilla on Windows 10

ZitaFTP Server 1.7 Video

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Sep-2019 10:30:53
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

I think it be good idea to split the logs into months/years, no need point keeping 2 or 3 years old log, the log files can get really large, slow things down or even take up a lot of disk space if forgotten.

It also be nice to option to block traffic from WAN (router), and only allow LAN traffic.

Is there like a Reaction GUI, where you manage etch shared folder, to add new directory or change FTP groups and users allowed to access the directories?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle