Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [POLL] Is AMOS / Hollywood a dead end for AmigaOS software development?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Is AMOS / Hollywood a dead end for AmigaOS software development?
Yes, without any doubt - AMOS / Hollywood harms the Amiga platform
No, I see no threat in either one

PosterThread
sinisrus 
Re: [POLL] Is AMOS / Hollywood a dead end for AmigaOS software development?
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 8:02:46
#21 ]

@ferrels

The last update of hollywood is 10-feb-2019 (check your sources)

07-Jul-2019: Remedios 1.0 released
This is what many people have been waiting for: Hollywood has finally landed on iOS with the Remedios add-on. This add-on allows you to turn your Hollywood applets into stand-alone iOS apps with just a few mouseclicks! All details here.

10-Feb-2019: Hollywood 8: Supremacy out now
After 12 months of development, Airsoft Softwair is proud to present Hollywood 8: Supremacy. This is a massive update and contains tons of new features and improvements. Click here for all the details.

11-Feb-2018: Hollywood 7.1 released
Hollywood 7.1, a major update with many new features and important bug fixes, has been released today. See here for details.

19-Mar-2017: Hollywood 7: Eternity out now
In the year of Hollywood's 15th anniversary, Airsoft Softwair is back on your screen with Hollywood 7: Eternity. This is a massive update and contains tons of new features and improvements. Click here for all details.

15-May-2016: RapaGUI 1.0 released
This is the game changer you've been waiting for! Cross-platform GUI programming is now possible with Hollywood. The new RapaGUI plugin allows you to create native GUIs for Windows, macOS, Linux, and AmigaOS. See here for all details.

13-Mar-2016: Hollywood 6.1 released
Hollywood 6.1, a major update with many new features and important bug fixes, has been released today. See here for details.

31-Jan-2016: APK Compiler 1.0 released
This is what many people have been waiting for: The brand-new APK Compiler allows you to compile your Hollywood applets into stand-alone APK files that can be distributed via Google Play. Development for Android has never been so easy! All details here.

07-Jun-2015: GL Galore 1.0 released
This is revolutionary news: Hollywood goes 3D! Hardware-accelerated 3D programming is now possible using the new GL Galore plugin and OpenGL®. See here for all details.

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 8:57:49
#22 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Hollywood has brilliant 68k support and as others stated already Hollywood on 68k is as current as on other systems. My version here is V8 from Februarythis year.

Another story is that developing for Amiga with the goal to make money is not really sexy. But money is not everything - there are quite some ppl who program for the fun of it.

amigang 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 9:17:16
#23 ]
Elite Member

I always wanted to be a games programmer growing up, it the reason i got an Amiga originally, I heard how great it was to make games on.

Unfortunately I'm just not that good at programming, I joined the Amiga quite late so kinda missed Amos scene and got the newly released Blitz Basic 2 for my a12000 as I think AF was just starting a tutorial series, I made some very basic demos, but never really managed to learn the code that well.

however all was not lost as I loved SEUCK and later Reality / Backbone game maker that you didn't really need to learn to code for.

I really loved Flash for that reason as well, I know its all moving to html5/java but Flash was so much easier!

So I got Hollywood and Hollywood Designer for OS4 and I do think they are great program and had made me feel the need to try and get back into making things, I know any program I make are not going to change the world but I’ve had fun making them and learning how to make them. I really hope they update Designer as with out it I dont think I could of made the programs.

I feel in the programming world there is a bit of snobbery if your not banging the metal or so called cheat if you use a template/wysiwyg programs to achieve your goals/project then people dot like it, I dont quite get it really, if it works does it matter? True you might get better performance, cleaner programs etc but dont deny people who want to make things and just might not have skill set to pull off pure coding.

LarsB 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 9:48:24
#24 ]

@ferrels

I think its the big advantage of Hollywood that you can compile for many plattforms incl. Android. So your target market is much bigger. And in return there are more professional and ambitious Amiga-projects possible.

And btw. Hollywood brought me the Amiga feeling itsself back. Like doing something creative and constructive. And I can show up my projects on my smartie which is quite impressive.

Last edited by LarsB on 16-Sep-2019 at 02:49 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 10:15:44
#25 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@jPV

Nope you're wrong. The 68K version of Hollywood hasn't been updated in years.

No, you're wrong. Could you please check your facts before repeating these false statements.

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
I don't know a single person who uses Hollywood for ANYTHING

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a person who uses Hollywood for all his programming nowadays.

just because you cling to Hollywood and make a few Amiga apps here and there's doesn't mean that the Amiga is now somehow "alive" again. It's a dead platform and you're just a necro-programmer.

I just presented you a person who does SOMETHING with Hollywood, because you didn't know a single person who uses Hollywood for ANYTHING. I didn't claim anything about any platform being alive or such things. Why do you want to attack on personal level and put words that I didn't say to my mouth? And I don't feel I'm "clinging" on Hollywood, because I have just recently found the excellence of it and still happy to explore and learn deeper this relatively new thing to me. And if you still don't get it, Hollywood is a platform-independent language... your programs will work on very living platforms too.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 12:42:55
#26 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:
I think you're seriously confused as to what constitutes software development. Someone giving you a Vampire board isn't software development, and the Vampire is just a classic Amiga recreated in an FPGA with some improvements.

Perhaps it wasn't obvious to you but most folk would note this as being under hardware. It isn't 'just' a classic recreated though, is it? It's an accelerator along with that, faster than any previous.

Someone has already replied to you about your remarks about Hollywood, I see.

The poll itself, though you scathingly refer to it as pointless, isn't about whether any particular company is making money on the Amiga, but about whether Hollywood or Amos are harming development.

I don't believe they are as I believe that any development can only be a good thing.

Most users are only too happy to see any development, I would think.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Samurai 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 16:46:48
#27 ]

I still got confused. The title's thread states if AMOS/Hollywood is a dead end to Amiga software development, which means (?) they are mandatory for the future, and the poll underneath mentions if AMOS and Hollywood harms the Amiga platform! Correct me if I understood wrong.

Either way, I feel AMOS Pro is better than Hollywood (at least under 68k). I always speak about 68k platform. I used next-gen Amigas with AmigaOS 4.1 for 10+ years and I've lost interest, but that's another story. To tell the truth, even when I used AmigaOS 4.1 I never had a Hollywood application installed in my system (or ever had the need to use such one); maybe because they are sluggish by nature or poorly designed/developed by the programmer?

If your question is to endearment and bring (new) developers from other platforms to Amiga, I don't think Hollywood will achieve that (with all respect). If your question has to do only for Amiga developers, scattered in 4 different sub-platforms (for the same thing), to make them develop for all platform at once, there are options. I second 68k assembler is the way I like under original Amigas, but C/C++ and of course AmigaE are very good alternatives when it comes to easy porting from one platform to another.

jPV 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 18:41:18
#28 ]
Cult Member

@Samurai

Quote:

Either way, I feel AMOS Pro is better than Hollywood (at least under 68k).

They're for different purposes/targets. I don't quite see why they got bundled in this weird poll. And nobody has still answered to me what harm they can cause... although AMOS's problem is that it isn't very system friendly and needs all kinds of patches to work better on later systems/addons... but that's not the case with Hollywood, which is very system friendly.

Quote:
To tell the truth, even when I used AmigaOS 4.1 I never had a Hollywood application installed in my system (or ever had the need to use such one); maybe because they are sluggish by nature or poorly designed/developed by the programmer?

Hollywood is a bit more demanding than traditional 68k stuff (partly because it supports more modern standards and true color displays etc), but in NG (or any other modern platform) perspective it isn't sluggish at all. I think it does its internal processing and effects etc very efficiently in modern standards, and like with all languages, you can make bad or good code yourself. Maybe because it's an easly language and can attract beginners, you may see more amateurish products, but you can't blame the language itself. You can do very neat stuff with Hollywood and I think my programs are pretty fine examples too.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 16-Sep-2019 19:01:01
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai

AmosPro runs on classic 68k Amiga while Amos 2 doesn't. That's where the original poster got confused. Amos 2 runs on JavaScript and in a browser.

Samurai 
Posted on 17-Sep-2019 11:11:37
#30 ]

@Samurai_Crow

So we're talking about AMOS 2 on a browser, thanks for the clarification.

@ jPV

I see your point, I didn't say Hollywood is bad, but not the best out there either. Of course you cannot compare AMOS and Hollywood (aimed at different platforms and different kind of development), but I find PortablE (AmigaE) much more interesting and versatile than Hollywood. One thing I don't like about Hollywood is its executable files. Probably that's the outcome of the cross-compiler...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle