Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  12 mins ago
 Hypex:  39 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 QBit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X5000 and hard drives
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Swoop 
X5000 and hard drives
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 11:16:18
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi,

My AmigaOne XEG3 *00mhx, has seemingly died on me, and although i replaced the psu before Xmasm I have no idea what has gone wrong with it now.

I have bitten the bullet, and ordered an x5000.
I know it is expensive, by ny Eyetech Amigaone lasted nearly 17 years so teh annual cost is comparable to a PC.

Anyway, I was thinking that with a 1TB hard drive, would it still be best to partition it? I have an 80gb, and a 160gb hard drive in me A1, which has been more than ample.

I would also like to try MorphOs, and I started with Debian Linux on my A1 before OS4 was released.

Is there anyway to put a second hard drive in the X5000.

It is a 15day delivery schedule for the X5000, which I presume is work days.
So I have about three weeks to ask questions.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Swoop on 16-Feb-2020 at 11:16 AM.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Profile     Report this post  
Trixie 
Re: X5000 and hard drives
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 11:35:42
#2 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Swoop

As the X5000 only has two onboard SATA ports, you'll have to get a SATA expansion card to use two harddrives and an optical drive simultaneously.

On my system, I only use the two onboard ports at the moment. The first one hosts a 500GB SSD harddrive (with three partitions), the other one has a DVD-ROM connected to it. I also use an external HD for backup, connected via USB. Works fine for me.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Swoop 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 12:59:56
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

That sounds good.

I have an external hard drive backup of my A1, but my mac cant read that filesystem.

I had seen the sata expansion cards but didnt know if they worked in the X5000

Thanks a lot

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Trixie 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 14:54:58
#4 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Swoop

Quote:
I had seen the sata expansion cards but didnt know if they worked in the X5000

They do, but you must get a card with a supported chipset - I think SIL3112 or SIL3512 are the ones most X5000 users have.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Swoop 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 15:04:43
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Right, so they are PCI to Sata Controller cards?

I saw some Sata splitter cable on Amazon, I didnt know if they would work?

Ist it a PCI, or PCIe, sata exoansion card I would need. The X5000 seems to have more PCIe slots, althoughi dont know what are in use.

Rob 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 15:08:16
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

In theory the SATA 1 card will be slower, especially over PCI, than the X5000's built in SATA 2 so I'd advise using the on board ports for the two main drives SATA 1 ports on the card for your the DVD drive and any additional drive you may add in the future.

Xenic 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 15:10:52
#7 ]

@Swoop
I'm not using my X5000 right now but I have an Sii3512 card installed on my X5000 for external hard drives. I also have a Delock esatap adapter connected to the Sii3512 so I don't need to provide external power to external drives. However, external drives with an esatap connection are hard to find now that USB3 is widely used.

I have the internal X5000 hard drive partitioned into 7 partitions (backup system partition, application partition, data partition etc.)

Swoop 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 17:54:27
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Thanks for that.
An optical drive would work fine on a pic card.

Swoop 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 17:55:57
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

So does your sil3512 card have external sockets in the mounting plate, much like Usb cards do?

Thanks for the info by the way.

tonyw 
Posted on 16-Feb-2020 22:12:19
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Get yourself an SSD for the main drive, the performance is startling.

All of my SiI cards have on-board connectors (standard SATA type).

Don't get an SiI3114, they don't work at full speed in an X-5000 (that may be only a limited sub-set of the cards, but those that I have tested have a problem with Write speed).

U-Boot can't see any PCI or PCI-E devices, so if your DVD is connected to an expansion card, you won't be able to boot from it.

We don't recommend large partitions unless you really want all your movies in a single partition. HDs and SSDs do fail after many years and you don't want to lose everything from a huge partition divided up into large directories. Divide the partition up into smaller partitions instead - that way a fatal partition fault will only lose the contents of that partition.

For instance, the system volume (SYS:) only needs about 500 MB (give or take). It is better to give it a 1 GB partition and install extras on another partition.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Swoop 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 9:00:54
#11 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Thanks TonyW

I had Debian on my A1, before OS4 was released, and I have never tried MorphOS either.
I am not really a gamer, I use PageStream, Turbocalc, ImageFX etc.

I anticipate having to gave different boot partitions for each, but don't know if you can have all three on an X5000, because of filesystem compatibility.

If it was possible to install all three, would I have to have different "work" partitions for each?
Mainly thinking of trying PageStream on MorphOS, as well as OS4.1FE, but didn't really want to duplicate, or copy across PageStream documents, if it was possible to share them between MorphOS and AmigaOS.

dirkzwager 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 9:23:12
#12 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Swoop

Get yourself an SSD for the main drive, the performance is startling.

Yes do it. I have a ssd in the sam 460. Top.
Price is low these days and the speed is great.

Powerbook 17" and MorphOS 3.13
PowerMac G5 2.3 MP and MorphOS 3.13
Sam 460 with Amiga os 4.1 and checkmate 1500
www.sitedesign.be

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 14:16:06
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Do you have a serial debug cable?

Last year when my XE played up I pulled my cards out and RAM. The plugging them back in somehow fixed it. Especially RAM seems to fail or get dirty contacts after a few years of use.

Still needing an extra controller card for the X5000 would be just like needing one in the XE.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 14:21:36
#14 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Quote:
U-Boot can't see any PCI or PCI-E devices, so if your DVD is connected to an expansion card, you won't be able to boot from it.

That's rather strange. I thought the X5000 UBoot would be well advanced in front of the XE one.

It has to see the video card which would be sitting on the PCI-E bus. As on example. Looks like it's due for an update.

Swoop 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 14:55:50
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I must admit I only took out the cards, and not the ram.
i will give that a try.

Do you know if there is a linux distribution for the X5000?

Or, if you can boot into MorphOS?
It is something I have never tried, and have a niggle,
saying I should at least look at it.

thanks again

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 15:25:27
#16 ]

@Swoop

There are indeed GNU/Linux distributions working on the X5000, most of which you'll find discussed on the Hyperion support forums. I highly recommend Fienix, though. It works very well, has an active maintainer, and you can get started easily with a nice USB drive made available through Amiga On The Lake, my favorite Amiga dealer (link).

And, yes, you can run MorphOS on the X5000, too. It's blazingly fast, but unfortunately doesn't support the Southern Islands or Polaris GPUs that we use on AmigaOS; so you'd need to swap out a video card with something older to get decent video performance. It's worth a try, but not something I use regularly due to this limitation.

-- eliyahu

outrun1978 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 18:35:47
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Swoop

You can certainly try MorphOS it will run from either a USB Key or a disk connected on to one of the onboard Sata ports.

Personally having been one of the very few people to have road tested this out extensively on the X5000, I’d say give it a miss and run it on some other hardware platform that is better suited to their operating system. Something with an Apple logo will always be their focus.

You won’t get much support from fellow MorphOS users or certain members of the development team. You will need to seriously downgrade your graphics card to something like an X1650 to get any decent mileage out of it on the X5000. Even then 3D support will be limited, their Updated version of Odyssey has many of the same problems that the OS4 version has and the only truly nice feature is Iris.

My own personal opinion is that I certainly wouldn’t waste your cash on one of their licences which will be tied to your machine and cannot be transferred to another piece of hardware where you will get much better value.

The fact that since version 3.10 where the X5000 was first supported, you have had three full extensive updates and they still haven’t solved the one issue that every X5000 owner has been crying out for on these forums, says a lot about their focus.

I still have money on a updated browser for AmigaOS 4 appearing long before the MorphOS team finally get round to supporting the graphics card that 95% of X5000 owners are currently using.

I wouldn’t even bother harassing these people either for when it’s likely to be supported. Focus on the goodies that do come with AmigaOS 4 and Fienix there is more than enough!

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Feb-2020 21:39:31
#18 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
I still have money on a updated browser for AmigaOS 4 appearing long before the MorphOS team finally get round to supporting the graphics card that 95% of X5000 owners are currently using.

Hmmm. I'd take that bet!

Quote:
I wouldn't even bother harassing these people either for when it's likely to be supported. Focus on the goodies that do come with AmigaOS 4 and Fienix there is more than enough!

Good advice. Totally agree.

-- eliyahu

Gregor 
Posted on 18-Feb-2020 13:29:25
#19 ]

@outrun1978
Quote:
You won’t get much support from fellow MorphOS users or certain members of the development team. You will need to seriously downgrade your graphics card to something like an X1650 to get any decent mileage out of it on the X5000. Even then 3D support will be limited, their Updated version of Odyssey has many of the same problems that the OS4 version has and the only truly nice feature is Iris.

Unfortunately this 3D issue is the same with Linux, too. There is hardware 3D (and video) acceleration availabe only for 4xxx, 5xxx and 6xxx Radeon models. And for AmigaOS there is no 3D support for any of these. Thus, you have to choose on which side you need it more.

If I have have understood right , endianess issues have prevented to solve this problem on the Linux side. On the Amiga side, is there anything which would prevent from adding 3D support for older graphics boards, too?

Quote:
The fact that since version 3.10 where the X5000 was first supported, you have had three full extensive updates and they still haven’t solved the one issue that every X5000 owner has been crying out for on these forums, says a lot about their focus.

...not to speak of some minor bugs, like the non-working SCSI driver module which still waits for a fix. On the bright side, they have published those fixes already done without delays (in contrast to Hyperion and OS4.1), and the onboard ethernet already works with MOS, whereas we Linux users still have to use a PCI card for ethernet.

Regards,

Gregor

amigasociety 
Posted on 18-Feb-2020 17:47:54
#20 ]
Cult Member

@outrun1978

Quote:

This one reason right here... web browser that is more usable for modern internet, is the reason my X5K is still just a hobby box and not a daily use computer.

If only it had a better web browser, I could do my work from home with it and get more mileage from my X5K.

I would say if signs of still no web improvement by 2021... I may move away from AmigaOne and Amiga OS for good. It is a fun box but... needs to earn its keep here as I have plenty of hobby boxes... and I prefer the other hobby boxes over the Amiga... so may go on the chopping block next year if it still seems stale in this department of web browser.

TJ

Last edited by amigasociety on 18-Feb-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle