Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaPapst:  12 mins ago
 Frank:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  30 mins ago
 clint:  49 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [X1000] Errors and improvement ideas for CFE
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
billt 
Re: [X1000] Errors and improvement ideas for CFE
Posted on 14-Apr-2020 0:02:09
#41 ]
Elite Member

Is the memory limitation a uboot thing, or an os4 thing, or some combination? (Sorry, cfe not uboot)

Last edited by billt on 15-Apr-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
corto 
Posted on 15-Apr-2020 9:33:35
#42 ]

@billt

uboot? On the X1000, the bootloader (CFE) recognized well the memory, I tested different configuration between 2 and 8 GB. OS4 only manages 2 GB of RAM even if you install more in the X1000.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Apr-2020 18:41:59
#43 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

What keyboard do you have? This must be for keyboards that don't play by the rules. ­­I tested a Dell PC keyboard with Alt next to space and it behaves as expected. I didn't need a key swap. It's possble to redefine keys on a PS/2 keyboard but not USB. Well not since they removed the swap working for USB.

Also, I don't know how you are getting into the ESM. Because the the boot menu is ignorant in my FE. It ignores scroll lock as well as mouse buttons. I have no way of breaking boot! The only way I can do it is to disable the Startup-Sequence so ends up at a boot shell but that's not the ESM.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Apr-2020 2:37:57
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Do you also have one of these "swapped" keyboards? I'm wondering why that is.

BillE 
Posted on 17-Apr-2020 21:42:44
#45 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

I can confirm the variable has been removed. It's listed in Documentation/Libs/keymap_lib.readme.
The "keymap_swapaltamiga" firmware variable has been removed and replaced
with an equivalent user Input preferences option.

I found that. I still cannot see why it has been removed from CFE, having it as an OS Prefs is rather late in the process. Even though you have an option to do it in Prefs why remove the CFE option for those who still want it.

Quote:

I've submtited a bug report about this situation. There were some related ones but as this relates directly to keymap_swapaltamiga I felt a new one was needed.

Good news. I would have checked it out but I just cannot remember my password for Bugzilla. I have not used it in a while as all testing these days seems to be for X5000 and A1222 so not having either of those have not needed to remember the password

Quote:

In cases where the user needs to reset, they can and have pressed the wrong reset combo, meaning they need to remember the keys are wrong before making a mistake. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Two rights they don't !!!

There must be consistency whether having fully booted into Workbench or booted without startup. To have different behaviour on the keyboard is just plain stupidity.

Quote:

As to Linux I'm not sure as I have used different keyboards with it over the years. One had no right Windows key. I just checked the PS/2 keyboard I've been using with my A1/XE for years, that has Alt next to space, and have had no problems in either AmigaOS or Linux that I can recall.
Given Linux would usually work with PC keyboards how would this be a problem?

It is only a problem if your PC keyboard is Amiga like with the Boing keys next to the space bar. eg swapped - hence the need for alt-amiga swapping in the first place.

BillE 
Posted on 17-Apr-2020 21:57:52
#46 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

What keyboard do you have? This must be for keyboards that don't play by the rules. ­­I tested a Dell PC keyboard with Alt next to space and it behaves as expected.

A Cherry keyboard, but whatever brand of PC keyboard I use with my Amiga I swap the alt keys and replace the Windows keycaps with Amiga or Boing ones. I want the keyboard to be like an Amiga not the way Microsoft want it to be. I thought that ever since people first used PC keyboards with Amigas - even back in the day of towered A1200s, then everybodty swapped them over !

The original X1000 keyboard supplied by AmigaKit has the boings swapped when you buy it. The only problem with their keyboard was that they only had US layout in white - had I known I would have ordered the black instead. So I bought a white Cherry in UK format and swapped those 'orrible Windoze keys for the Boings and sold the US one with the windoze keys on ebay. As the keys are swapped as provided with the X1000 it was sensible to have the ability to swap them in CFE.

Gripe Mode:
I never got the Help key from AmigaKit either it still says Scroll Lock - they were supposed to come with one labelled Help instead. So what with no proper Help button and a US layout that keyboard was a bit of a disaster.
/Gripe mode:

Quote:

Also, I don't know how you are getting into the ESM. Because the the boot menu is ignorant in my FE. It ignores scroll lock as well as mouse buttons. I have no way of breaking boot! The only way I can do it is to disable the Startup-Sequence so ends up at a boot shell but that's not the ESM.

That is odd. I have no problem at all with that. I do not think holding both mouse buttons down works anymore with USB mice but the Scroll Lock key (it would be nicer if it said 'Help') works fine to go to the ESM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle