Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 amigakit:  28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Posted on 14-Jun-2020 7:39:44
#61 ]
Elite Member

@kadenaa

If your harddisk is failing a reinstall won't fix it. You will need to back up your data pronto. Preferably to a new drive. Which you will need if it is failing. Having a bootable Workbench does help.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jun-2020 8:14:59
#62 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
I've installed the 4x2 GB memory sticks on the AmigaOne X1000 and I see no stability issues since then (middle of May). There is no difference if I install one or the four 2 GB modules. Filling the RAM drive with more than 1.5 GB of files crashes AmigaOS, but this is no memory problem. I did long memtest of the memory and everything was reported okay. For now I am not able to use more than 2 GB of RAM, but hopefully this will change in the future.

I think the crash is "normal". Though it really should not allow any buffer overrun, I recall it is something to do with the memory setup, which will crash instead of giving you a safer out of memory error.

However, there is the extended memory feature for apps that use it, such as SketchBlock. This would allow using the memory in the 2GB to 4GB region. AFAIK, anything beyond 4GB wouldn't be used because OS4 is still a 32-bit OS.

/Quote:
Issue No.4 - I can't capture 4K to the Decklink, because I can't find the proper screen mode. I think 2160p60 shall be available, but it is not.

It also depends on the definition of 4K. Excusing the pun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Only a slight difference in definition.

Quote:
Still not sure if I buy the Enhancer Software pack with the new graphics driver inside, I will be able to directly select the modes of the graphics card and be able to output 4K properly and capture it with the framegrabber.

I bought the Plus Pack which gives the you the latest RadeonHD and 3d drivers. I don't know what else can benefit. There are other graphic drivers, especially on AmiStore, but I find it confusing what they are needed for. There is a graphics add on for the Enhancer package that adds RX drivers but on the X1000 it's unsupported.

http://www.amistore.net

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Jun-2020 8:38:33
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
AFAIK, anything beyond 4GB wouldn't be used because OS4 is still a 32-bit OS.

Wrong…. Extended memory objects (ExtMem)

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Exec_Extended_Memory

There is known problem when filling above 2Gbytes, its know bug for long time, it was fixed I believe but only beta testers have it.

If can speculate way it might not work, I guess that you can’t really use ExtMem if there is no free address space to map the upper memory into, it might be that the address space it used up.

If you do not need access to memory all the time, a program using ExtMem can in theory free up address space in the low memory, giving other applications the memory they need.

I guess can be cool to have it for Amos Kittens banks, but it won’t work because I need have “Bank obtain”, “Bank release” commands. Old programs won’t know about, new programs won’t be backwards compatible.

Not sure way they needed ExtMem to do this, virtual memory should have made this possible do this automatically, sure there are some overhead in having to remap memory for etch task swap, to answer my own question maybe way.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Jun-2020 14:59:37
#64 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Wrong…. Extended memory objects (ExtMem)

Wrong in what way?

Quote:
https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Exec_Extended_Memory

It doesn't exactly say it uses memory beyond 4GB. It agrees with me on OS4 being a 32-bit OS, almost verbatim.

Are you implying that if over 4GB is fitted the ExtMem system can use it? Such as if an X1000 is fitted with 8GB?

Quote:
There is known problem when filling above 2Gbytes, its know bug for long time, it was fixed I believe but only beta testers have it.

That would make it redundant for now since ExtMem would be using 2GB and above.

Quote:
If can speculate way it might not work, I guess that you can't really use ExtMem if there is no free address space to map the upper memory into, it might be that the address space it used up.

In that case I would expect an out of memory error. Which is a basic programming check. If it can't allocate what it needs it shouldn't be attempting to use it in the first place.

But since they've said the RAM disk uses it that would explain the bug when filling the RAM disk up now.

Quote:
If you do not need access to memory all the time, a program using ExtMem can in theory free up address space in the low memory, giving other applications the memory they need.

I expect this would need to happen when the context switches to another task. Which would be expected in a mulitasking OS. But can also be expensive needing to reprogram MMU setup for each task.

Quote:
I guess can be cool to have it for Amos Kittens banks, but it won’t work because I need have “Bank obtain”, “Bank release” commands. Old programs won’t know about, new programs won’t be backwards compatible.

I didn't expect the banks would be so large.

Quote:
Not sure way they needed ExtMem to do this, virtual memory should have made this possible do this automatically, sure there are some overhead in having to remap memory for etch task swap, to answer my own question maybe way.

What I don't understand is a program chosing an address or the OS chosing a random one. That doesn't sound wise. Like going back ot the days of programs writing into specific memory to load their stuff. Or make any sense. The system is you ask for allocation, it is assigned to you, so I don't get the way ExtMem is organised.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Jun-2020 20:25:21
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
What I don't understand is a program chosing an address or the OS chosing a random one.

well it scheduler so it’s the OS, that handle virtual memory,

Quote:
That doesn't sound wise. Like going back ot the days of programs writing into specific memory to load their stuff. Or make any sense.

Well ExMem being part kernel, it should work in synergy with virtual memory,

Quote:
The system is you ask for allocation, it is assigned to you, so I don't get the way ExtMem is organized.

it kind of reminds me of memory mapped io, but instead it maps to RAM instead of IO, like you wont have file open all the time you might not need to have access to memory all the time, I guess advantage is frees up address space for other tasks, if managed well, if mismanaged you run out address space yes.
Quote:
Quote:
sure there are some overhead in having to remap memory for etch task swap, to answer my own question maybe way.

I looked it up the mmu map has space for pids, I guess we call this process id’s in Amiga Land, and so when task swap happens It simply skipes to the correct part of the mmu table, so it does not need to reinitialize the mmu table when swapping tasks. Anyway, that makes me even speculate even more way we needed the ExtMem thing to use high memory as virtual memory per task.

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/PowerPC_Book_E_MMU

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Jun-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Jun-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Jun-2020 17:25:35
#66 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
well it scheduler so it's the OS, that handle virtual memory,

According to the wiki:
A mapping is defined by the virtual address in application memory (which can be chosen by the application, or picked at random by the OS), the length of the map’s window, and the offset it maps to in the ExtMem object.

Perhaps it means it can be mapped into memory the app has allocated as workspace.

But that still leaves the OS picking random numbers to be virtual addresses. I don't place faith in an OS that picks organised memory allocations to be at random locations. Is this some kind of security obfuscation feature so apps cannot expect to get the same exact address in repated circumstances?

I think it could rewritten to be more clear. As it stands, since it's talking about computer memory, I tend to read it as literal which doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Well ExMem being part kernel, it should work in synergy with virtual memory,

It should, except a program wanting a specific address to be virtual, looks like too much freedom.

Quote:
it kind of reminds me of memory mapped io, but instead it maps to RAM instead of IO, like you wont have file open all the time you might not need to have access to memory all the time, I guess advantage is frees up address space for other tasks, if managed well, if mismanaged you run out address space yes.

That makes sense, to manage it, I just didn't get how they managed it. Which looks like the app manages it, and can pick it's own address, that can be hardcoded into the program. Or an address can be picked at random in the OS routine that plays memory address bingo.

Quote:
I looked it up the mmu map has space for pids, I guess we call this process id?s in Amiga Land, and so when task swap happens It simply skipes to the correct part of the mmu table, so it does not need to reinitialize the mmu table when swapping tasks. Anyway, that makes me even speculate even more way we needed the ExtMem thing to use high memory as virtual memory per task.

Looks like it's useful. For Book E. But what about Book S? The X1000 being the last of it's kind. Yes process ID, or task ID in Amiga land. But, a task ID isn't really a real ID, it's the address of the task. I guess this makes a good UUID, unless the task finishes and the address is reused. The main problem is it wasn't treated as a task ID in Amiga OS. The user API let on it was an address and what could be done with it. But I bet even if they didn't disclose that information some Amiga hackers would have broke in anyway and hacked the internals despite that. Like the AllocVec() incident.

Last edited by Hypex on 19-Jun-2020 at 04:09 PM.

kadenaa 
Posted on 20-Jun-2020 7:08:55
#67 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
@kadenaa

If your harddisk is failing a reinstall won't fix it. You will need to back up your data pronto. Preferably to a new drive. Which you will need if it is failing. Having a bootable Workbench does help.

I already had an SSD in the case ready to go, been sat there for over 7 years. It is a bit of a chicken and egg issue if I can't boot I can't backup :). Long story short, I am now up and running with OS4.1FE thanks to Alinea. My main issue seems to have been a dead battery (not surprising after so long), a cause of much bizarre behavior. The machine is now rock solid booting reliably and all data from the old HD is copied over to the SSD. I just need to work out what is worth keeping and what is not.

Now I just need to work out what has happened in the last 7+ years and what software I need to buy and install to get up to date. Hence my interest in this thread.

Kad.

Last edited by kadenaa on 20-Jun-2020 at 07:16 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 20-Jun-2020 7:39:33
#68 ]
Elite Member

@kadenaa

Yes backup battery can do strange things to computers.

that’s not to hard to provided you are not using any crazy file system,
just simply boot from AmigaOS4.1 install CD, provided you can (not messed with boot priorities.)

if the HD is broken, remove the HD install OS4.1 new HD, when your done installing the OS. then insert the second HD, you hopeful continue booting on your new HD, and can move files from the BAD disk.

its not as easy to know what is wrong with X1000, as with XE, the XE you know its the battery because can’t get picture, the X1000, simply does strange things, some times with clock speed or some other things.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jun-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jun-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Jun-2020 16:47:27
#69 ]
Elite Member

@kadenaa

Wow seven years is a long time. You got lucky! How small would an SSD of that age be? Hope you used the native block size.

The battery is known for producing the BSOD. The Black Screen Of Death. It's the black plague on these machines.

Even if you could boot with your old CD it would be rather out of date.

drHirudo 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 16:39:04
#70 ]

@drHirudo

My AmigaOne X1000 works fine. I am having great fun, especially with the faster JIT versions of E-UAE and DOSBox.
With the Odyssey Web Browser, version 1.23 r5_beta05, I am experiencing the new web on Amiga. It even plays YouTube videos, and renders most of the sites I visit properly. I still fire IBrowse 2.5.5 from time to time for some fast downloads, but the OWB is much much better, when you have the speed for it.

I installed AMIStore and tried downloading the free Enhancer software from there without any success. I also tryied purchasing some titles, but I can't add funds, neither I can see where to use my PayPal. Still investigating.

Next I will try some Apple Macintosh emulation. I have some old Basilisk2 installation copied from my Micro AmigaOne times (circa 2010-2011). Along with many other emulators, some of them WIP by me. Or I think it will be better to use E-UAE with ShapeShifter or Fusion or some other Mac emulator for Amiga. Does someone have success on emulating Mac via E-UAE on AmigaOne? Or if there is something like RunInUAE or RunInDOSBox, it will be great.

It's nice to see my old projects some 10-11 years, waiting to get some updates again.

P.S. I miss having spellchecker on my Amiga browser, so typos above may exist.
P.P.S. AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 is damn stable, compared to the older AmigaOS versions that I've used before (from 1.2 to 4.1).
P.P.P.S. Today, for first time I found the ShutDown menu item in Workbench. I've never software suhtdowned Amiga in my life before. Seeig some "up to date" features on the Amiga machines is great joy.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Dec-2021 20:25:37
#71 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Download and install the lastest Basilisk2, i have made changes to make fullscreen work better for X1000

As well as major improvement to clipboard, and smarter use of CPU.
and also, smart conservation routines convert more then one pixel in one operation.
so render faster, so frees up more CPU as well.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 22-Dec-2021 at 08:26 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 22-Dec-2021 23:34:15
#72 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thanks for all those updates.

@drHirudo

Gmail or Grammarly spell check doesn't work for you.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 22-Dec-2021 at 11:35 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 3-Jan-2022 13:46:55
#73 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga
Thanks. I will test it again, over my old Basilisk2 installation, from the micro AmigaOne.

Any chance of adding JIT to it and making RunInBasilisk2 (Like RunInUAE)? I love the way RunInUAE and RunInDOSBox integrate into AmigaOS 4 and make running games and applications with a single click from AmigaOS.

@DiscreetFX
I prefer the way TimberWolf was showing me the spelling mistakes, directly into the post form. Unfortunately, the Timberwolf doesn't work anymore under AmigaOS 4.1 FE U2. It gives me GrimReaper errors and crashes.

kas1e 
Posted on 3-Jan-2022 16:28:05
#74 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Timberwolf still can be used on the very latest os4. It's just os4depot upload miss some additional files/directories which present in the previous release which is on Aminet (probably was forgotten by accident).

So you just download the version from Aminet, unpack it. then download additional (latest) files from os4depot and overwrite them on top of the Aminet version. And it works. Tested right now for sake of fun and there is a screenshot:

(cliсk on image for full size):

Last edited by kas1e on 03-Jan-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 03-Jan-2022 at 04:29 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 3-Jan-2022 18:37:59
#75 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

seriously It's been since OS4.1 Update 6 it stopped working and honestly it was great using all the plugins ..me runs to the mancave

ok so let me get this straight...
1- download it from Aminet
2- download it from OS4depot and overwrite the install from Aminet

Frak me IT WORKS AGAIN

Last edited by klx300r on 03-Jan-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Last edited by klx300r on 03-Jan-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Last edited by klx300r on 03-Jan-2022 at 06:44 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jan-2022 23:18:16
#76 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Well, now you’re asking a lot.

lets talk about JIT first.
Basilisk II uses UAE CPU core, its not unthinkable that JIT version can be integrated, the problem as I see it is that Basilisk is not being maintained as well as UAE, as result it lags behind a bit, someone who knows how EUAE JIT compiler work might have more success than me. There is also series bug FPU emulation, I hope someone can take a look at.

(I suggest emulating 68040 without FPU.)

Your "RunInBasilisk2" idea, you need to copy files into boot disk, that the mac emulator can start I guess, I’m not sure how you can write HFS, and how to make MacOS understand files correct.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jan-2022 at 11:19 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 6-Sep-2022 18:04:23
#77 ]

Since there is not much AmigaOS 4 software released recently, I started tinkering with emulators a lot and found many big libraries of Atari 8 and 16 bit, IBM-PC DOS, Consoles and other software. VICE 3.2 (also 3.1,3.0) freezes but I have real Commodore 64 with TapeCard SD, so I also tinker with the CBM machines (emulated and real) as well.

But seems my AmigaOne X1000 hard drive will be too small to host all these collections. Does anybody has experience with bigger hard drives on AmigaOne machines?

Drives bigger than 10TB?

20 TB hard drive is really cheap nowadays (less than 500 Euro), so this is the capacity I want to buy. But I am not sure if it will work on AmigaOne X1000 with AmigaOS 4.1?
I already have 12 TB external and 18 TB internal hard drives drives, but I keep them for backups, which unfortunaly with Amiga USB speeds (USB 1.0 hardly 2.0) are mostly useless.

For small files transfers I use USB flash drives (4, 8 and 16 GB), which come in very handy when transferring files between machines (For the Commodore 64 I use card reader).

I want to replace the original 460 GB (or 500 GB?) AmigaOne X1000 drie and if possible to keep the 3.0 GB System partition (which uses sd600sata.device and is SFS\02 formatted.

Is it possible to clone the system partition or I have to reinstall from scratch?

What are the best filesystems to use for such big capacities?

As usual typos may exist in the above text, since it was written on Amiga with IBrowse 2.5.6 that doesn't have spellcheck.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 6-Sep-2022 19:33:27
#78 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Did you expect someone keep old topic like this alive for 2 years? Seriously?

most activity about AmigaOS4 is happening on Amigans.net, not here, simply because all treads end up as PPC vs ARM, PPC vs x86, PPC vs 68K, why not use AROS instead of AmigaOS, why not use MorphOS instead of AmigaOS, and so on, and so on…

instead asking multiple question in comment, and posting on topic has dead two years, who about creating a topic for etch question, it will easier to follow.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Sep-2022 20:19:07
#79 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
But I am not sure if it will work on AmigaOne X1000 with AmigaOS 4.1?

You're going to use an X1000 for emulation?! THEA500 Mini is £120, the X1000 was £1800 and was the only new way to run AmigaOS at the time! So you're justifying holding on the machine by using it to run emulators that would probably run better on a £120 Arm machine?! Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to play the exclusive platformer Spencer?

cdimauro 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 5:14:18
#80 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

most activity about AmigaOS4 is happening on Amigans.net, not here, simply because all treads end up as PPC vs ARM, PPC vs x86, PPC vs 68K, why not use AROS instead of AmigaOS, why not use MorphOS instead of AmigaOS, and so on, and so on…

And what's worse, you try like a desperate to defend your holy totems (especially Mr. Herman) and you always fail.

So, THE question comes to my mind: why are you still here when you've a better place to stay on?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle