Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  25 mins ago
 kolla:  28 mins ago
 saimo:  34 mins ago
 A1200:  36 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  41 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
RobertB 
Re: Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 5:47:09
#81 ]

@drHirudo

For your upgrade questions, have you contacted any of the OS 4.1 experts/beta testers? Like Bill Bosari, Steven Solie, etc..

I'm sure they have answers,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Profile     Report this post  
drHirudo 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 6:14:47
#82 ]

@RobertB

I know they read this thread, since I have some answers here already and I've sent a crash report of the USB keyboard I was using back then.

If I don't get any answers here, I may try other forums, or try by myself.

I already had a Hard Drive disaster around 9 years ago on Windows PC, where I was using 3 TB hard drive with an external HDD adapter, which turned out to support only 2 TB. When I filled the partition with over 2 TB of data, the partition just disappeared to never be seen again. It turned out that as soon as I passed the 2 TB, the drive sees the remaining 1 TB as free, but can't address them so it started overwriting from the beginning, damaging my partition data.

Later I was able to restore some of the files, without their names and other attributes, and it wasn't nice experience, so I prefer to ask, before experimenting again.

Because everything was working fine, until I have started filling the 3rd TB.

agami 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 6:34:29
#83 ]

@drHirudo

Have you thought of using a NAS for your backups. Last I heard, it is possible to get a X1000 connected to an Ethernet network. Sounds like money isn't a problem, and it should be faster than that USB 1.1 speed.

amigang 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 13:18:45
#84 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
THEA500 Mini is £120........ to run emulators that would probably run better on a £120 Arm machine

same could be said about the A500 mini, although its great its got Pandory500 v2 that really expands the system, you be far better off getting a Pi4 that has many emulators packs made for it and its again cheaper (£35) and more powerful system.
Here a great site with loads of custom emulated set ups https://www.arcadepunks.com/

If I was to break down my main time spent on X1000 was simply playing Point and Click Adventures games on ScummVM, with second Hollywood Designer programming, Surfing the net and trying out the odd Os4 software. Could I do the main jobs on much cheaper hardware, yes, but its not AmigaOs4.

I've seen people buy £1,000+ Mac books and all they need it for is Email, Surfing, and a few office jobs, a Chrome / Netbook could do that for £100. But there are other reasons why people buy these products for its extra something.

The A500 mini hardware is basically a Pi3B that the newer Pi Zero 2 can nearly match for £7, but again the reason you bought the A500 mini is for the extra something.

Last edited by amigang on 07-Sep-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 07-Sep-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 14:58:10
#85 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
Since there is not much AmigaOS 4 software released recently

Commercial or interesting stuff on os4depot.net?

Quote:
20 TB hard drive is really cheap nowadays (less than 500 Euro), so this is the capacity I want to buy. But I am not sure if it will work on AmigaOne X1000 with AmigaOS 4.1?

Wow. That's really huge. That 10 times my 2GB Samsing HDD!

Is that a real HDD or an SSD? Seems too big to be SSD. You did say hard disk. The only issue I know of is OS4 drivers not supporting TRIM on SSD and some SSD devices don't like using slower PIO modes at boot.

Take a look below at this guide. It doesn't mention a max drive size, only max partition. With SFS2 you're using is limited to 1TB partitions. JXFS can do 256TB and NGFS 100EB. Unfortunately, JSFX is unsupported now and NGFS is unavailable on the X1000 unless you are a beta tester. X5000 users have a public release though.

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:AmigaOS_File_Systems

Quote:
I already have 12 TB external and 18 TB internal hard drives drives, but I keep them for backups, which unfortunaly with Amiga USB speeds (USB 1.0 hardly 2.0) are mostly useless.

USB 1.0? That's terribly slow! An XE did around 900KB/s with USB 1.1 Something is wrong with your setup if you are not getting full USB 2.0 speeds. The X1000 has a USB 2.0 USB controller. Internal header and external ports.

Quote:
Is it possible to clone the system partition or I have to reinstall from scratch?

You can clone it but it's a DIY job as you need to copy it. We don't have software that can clone a partition or even clone partitions from one drive to another. So you will need to setup and partition another drive, format it and copy it across. BackItAllUp is popular. You can use shell or any tool you like. Or use Workbench. I use Workbench a lot to copy stuff. But, in the Workbench Prefs, I max out the copy buffer.

Quote:
What are the best filesystems to use for such big capacities?

You have 3 GB which isn't too large. My Workbench is 2GB. In that case SFS1 or SFS2 should be fine. But be careful, SFS2 is popular, but there are no recovery tools. SFS1 at least can be recovered.

Last edited by Hypex on 07-Sep-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Sep-2022 15:04:57
#86 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Did you expect someone keep old topic like this alive for 2 years? Seriously?

This is not unusual. In fact before I checked I thought this was a new thread. Then I found it was 5 pages worth and both you and I had commented which brought back memories.

Quote:
most activity about AmigaOS4 is happening on Amigans.net, not here, simply because all treads end up as PPC vs ARM, PPC vs x86, PPC vs 68K, why not use AROS instead of AmigaOS, why not use MorphOS instead of AmigaOS, and so on, and so on…

Don't jinx it. Who caress about Amigans.net? I never signed up in the day. AmigaWorld has lots of activity. I find it has an even balance of Amiga and OS4 topics.

Quote:
instead asking multiple question in comment, and posting on topic has dead two years, who about creating a topic for etch question, it will easier to follow.

I don't see an issue. Saves creating a new topic. And if the topic title would be the same the thread can go on!

You're obviously familiar with OS4 systems. Since you release software for OS4. So why are you complaining about how drHirudo asks his questions instead of offering him advice?

Last edited by Hypex on 08-Sep-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 07-Sep-2022 at 03:11 PM.

agami 
Posted on 8-Sep-2022 1:35:15
#87 ]

@amigang

Quote:
I've seen people buy £1,000+ Mac books and all they need it for is Email, Surfing, and a few office jobs, a Chrome / Netbook could do that for £100.

Yes, and because of that disparity we consider the former to not be a sensible or wise purchase.

Quote:
but its not AmigaOs4

You say that as if it's some sort of advantage.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle