Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 djnick:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 41 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 Hammer:  6 hrs 12 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 57 mins ago
 pixie:  7 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiga.com change - what happens next?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Amiga.com has changed - now with picture
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 15:37:13
#61 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I'm not great at predictions, but I'm pretty sure Mike's not going to hire you to do the amiga.com website.

@paolone

Studying ancient Roman language probably isn't going to happen. I did make a start on Koine Greek a few years ago. I'm currently stalled out in the middle of a Rust tutorial. So much to do, so little time...

Last edited by bison on 18-Jul-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hondo 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 17:58:44
#62 ]

@number6

Thank you for clarifying.

As I understood that PDF file, the trial date is 2. november - unless Hyperion gets it delayed even more....sigh

number6 
Posted on 18-Jul-2020 18:06:22
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

I'm sure it will be delayed further, as they have postponed dates many times before for more normal reasons.
Now that they have the covid-19 excuse, it's even easier to postpone, since even the court admits and understands the delays regarding that.

number6 
Posted on 22-Jul-2020 15:35:30
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

latest delay request granted - dates listed

A1200 
Posted on 22-Jul-2020 17:11:06
#65 ]
Elite Member

@number6

That's what I call kicking it in the long grass!

BigD 
Posted on 22-Jul-2020 17:27:53
#66 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Ha ha ha! No stability in Amigaland until at least January 2021!

Goodbye Stephen Jones and Apollo Team to permanent AROS support rather than OS4. Also, good luck launching the Tabor earlier than January 2021 as the 1st batch outside of Early Adopter boards is not going to happen this side of Q2 2021 IMHO!

It all makes me want to buy the last good Boot Camp enabled 16" MacBook Pro / 4K Blu-Ray enabled Sony PS5 and kiss all of this mess goodbye to be honest However, you'll have to prise my Classic 'Miggies out of my cold rigor mortis siezed hands because after all you can't take them with you

But at least Mike Battilana is a nice guy and means well as is Trevor, as is Matthew Leaman and yet we're still in this mess!!

matthey 
Posted on 22-Jul-2020 21:48:54
#67 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Stability would be lack of change. Are you sure that would be good for Amigaland?

Quote:

Goodbye Stephen Jones and Apollo Team to permanent AROS support rather than OS4. Also, good luck launching the Tabor earlier than January 2021 as the 1st batch outside of Early Adopter boards is not going to happen this side of Q2 2021 IMHO!

I doubt the lawsuit is directly holding up either the Apollo Team or A-EON. I'm not so sure Vampire products are a planned target for AmigaOS 4 either. The current strategy of back porting lighter weight AmigaOS 4 features to AmigaOS 3 to improve compatibility and ease development seems more likely to continue to me. There may be a legal advantage to renaming the Hyperion 68k AmigaOS to AmigaOS 4 depending on the wording of licenses/contracts but Hyperion would have likely already renamed it if that was the case.

Quote:

It all makes me want to buy the last good Boot Camp enabled 16" MacBook Pro / 4K Blu-Ray enabled Sony PS5 and kiss all of this mess goodbye to be honest However, you'll have to prise my Classic 'Miggies out of my cold rigor mortis siezed hands because after all you can't take them with you

Classic Amigas are like semi-modern antique cars that were ahead of their time. An antique car may be quicker, better handling, better breaking, more fun to drive and look better than 95% of the new cars but they are missing modern features, are not as fuel efficient, probably aren't as reliable or safe and are usually not as good of a daily driver (speaking from experience with my 1993 "antique" car). Can it be modernized while retaining the feel, the fun and the passion? Maybe, but not if you change too much.

Quote:

But at least Mike Battilana is a nice guy and means well as is Trevor, as is Matthew Leaman and yet we're still in this mess!!

A-EON is *not* part of the lawsuit. If it was just the "nice guys" you mentioned then there would likely be no lawsuit but AmigaOS would likely be minimally updated too.

BigD 
Posted on 22-Jul-2020 22:28:14
#68 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
I doubt the lawsuit is directly holding up either the Apollo Team or A-EON. I'm not so sure Vampire products are a planned target for AmigaOS 4 either.

Obviously in regards to the Apollo team I meant to reference OS3.1.4 not OS4 sorry. A-EON is not getting the due support from Hyperion in terms of OS4 updates or drivers and if having to bolt on its Enhancer software and graphics driver updates to kind of Boing Bag update OS4 is considered relying on Hyperion I'd hate to see the situation where they were actually in competition! This is definitely not Microsoft / Intel type synergy!

Quote:
A-EON is *not* part of the lawsuit. If it was just the "nice guys" you mentioned then there would likely be no lawsuit but AmigaOS would likely be minimally updated too.

So yeah, the unspoken part of that sentence is that Hyperion play the part of the bad guys or at least the blood thirsty lawyers! Heaven forbid we're guilty of taking sides Anyway, I've always taken the approach of the enemy of my enemy is my friend and Amiga Inc. WERE the enemy along with Pentti Kouri! But if Hyperion want to play the part of lawyers rather than software engineers then the following quote holds...

... that's fine IMHO when the people they're stealing from are overblown Christmas card maker software hacks / stadium advertising con-artists (Amiga Inc ) but it's less endearing when it's Mike Battilana; one the 'good guys'! But I guess that all's fair in love and war!

Last edited by BigD on 22-Jul-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 22-Jul-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 22-Jul-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 22-Jul-2020 at 10:30 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 23-Jul-2020 0:06:44
#69 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
Stability would be lack of change.

Like OS4? :)

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jul-2020 0:55:59
#70 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
Stability would be lack of change. Are you sure that would be good for Amigaland?

Stability in the sense of knowing that the IP police won't pull the rug from under you if you develop an Amiga product. Stephen Jones would have tried to get an Amiga license for the Checkmate case and the Apollo Team wanted to bundle OS3.1.4 with the Vampire Boards but with dubious IP ownership scuppered both original plans and the Checkmate A1500 Plus has now been discontinued.

Lack of faith in the ability to market products correctly IS effecting the risks people will take in the market and quite honestly why should they bother? I mean it's great that so many ingenius products have been launched but developers need to know who the IP holders are and that they have a vested interest in building the brand and helping the licensees to succeed. When has that ever happened? Not even Commodore were particularly helpful to NewTek if we're honest.

Amigo1 
Posted on 23-Jul-2020 8:51:11
#71 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@number6

It all makes me want to buy the last good Boot Camp enabled 16" MacBook Pro / 4K Blu-Ray enabled Sony PS5 and kiss all of this mess goodbye to be honest

Oh common you waited years, what are 6 more months!?!!!!!!

Quote:

God made all his children nice!

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jul-2020 10:11:35
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Quote:
God made all his children nice!

Yeah, and then original sin happened and Adam and Eve squabbled about whose fault it was and we've been squabbling ever since! Toddlers refuse to share and even it seems do multi-national cottage industries that dress their CEOs up for court while their market fragments and evaporates!

There is nothing nice about the "It's mine!" sentiment or "I don't want to share!" but while I expect to have to correct it in my 4 year old I would think that the grown ups would have moved past it and to have settled out of court by now!

A1200 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 0:54:09
#73 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You really are Ned Flanders aren't you?

BigD 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 6:06:30
#74 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

If that's the only Christian reference in your life then that's something I guess! I recon the battle fought against the greedy and selfish nature in all of us is fairly clear to most people and an important part of altruism. We may differ on where that base corruption came from but it's clear to me that we are all born with it. It is a important observation irrespective of your relationship with Jesus.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 9:30:00
#75 ]

@BigD "but it's clear to me that we are all born with it. "

Completely off-topic for the thread, but have you seen babies? They clearly do not have any ability to or concept of sin. "Original sin" theory didn't really kick off until that fruitcake Augustine of Hippo got involved in the 4th century. There is certainly no basis for it in any of the reported words of Christ.
Sin is a social and learned construct - either a person chooses to follow God's path or chooses not to. Happy to discuss on a new thread...

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 11:11:12
#76 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I only wonder why you care at all

You have not bought anything NG related for a long time despite talking about it.

MorphOS is not hindered by the lawsuits
AROS the same
Vampire not too
Even 3.1.4 is not blocked by it, at least as long the lawsuits lasts. Would Cloanto win the situation would be difficult of course because 3.1.4 is a mixture between different sources including OS4 (as I understand it). So there would be needed a agreement between Cloanto and Hyperion then.

What will really happen if Cloanto wins has to be seen. Nobody can forecast that. In any case, the delays with Tabor were not related to it. BTW you could have preordered it if you wanted like others did.

Even if both Hyperion and OS4 would disappear then current situation would not really change. People could still use the hardware and OS4 would get no updates (like it is for years now).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Jul-2020 at 11:13 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 11:34:15
#77 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@A1200

If that's the only Christian reference in your life then that's something I guess! I recon the battle fought against the greedy and selfish nature in all of us is fairly clear to most people and an important part of altruism. We may differ on where that base corruption came from but it's clear to me that we are all born with it. It is a important observation irrespective of your relationship with Jesus.

Friend BigD,

will you ever, ever, ever understand that this thing you repeatdly do, is akin to standing up during mass and yelling

"YOU NEED A KICKSTART 2.0.1 ROM!! GURU MEDITATION!" ?

Please, for the love of (insert appropriate deity),
stop being outrageously off topic and inappropriate and, of course, ridiculous.

BESTEST of regards,
MRJM

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 11:40:05
#78 ]
Cult Member

@yoodoo2

It would probably be much better in another thread. With that said, I've read quite a bit from the fruitcake Augustine. He was reflecting on something not necessarily in Jesus' sayings, but those of the Pentateuch, the Apostle Paul, and the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews. In Abraham, Levi paid tithes to Melchizedek. In Adam, all sinned. It is an ancient concept that is considered by modern standards to be unjust. However, many African Americans get the concept, demanding justice from white people for evils done over a century ago by their ancestors.

Regarding babies, Christians don't look at babies saying, "They are sinning!" We look at babies recognizing the same things as everyone else. A baby is very self focused. A child as it grows has to learn from society how to think about others. If it remains self-focused, the child will grow up to do many evils (I work in law enforcement. Believe me when I say that an inability to consider others results in evil deeds). Children don't learn to sin, though they may learn various methodologies of how to act it out They have to be taught to do good.

Regardless of when and where we believe evil, sin, or guilt originated, we share the same desire for good. If we did not desire good, we would not be on an Amiga forum desiring good for the Amiga community, and developers.

Back on topic: When I first saw the Amiga, I was amazed at its capabilities.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 15:50:58
#79 ]
Cult Member

@yoodoo2

It would probably be much better in another thread. With that said, I've read quite a bit from the fruitcake Augustine. He was reflecting on something not necessarily in Jesus' sayings, but those of the Pentateuch, the Apostle Paul, and the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews. In Abraham, Levi paid tithes to Melchizedek. In Adam, all sinned. It is an ancient concept that is considered by modern standards to be unjust. However, many African Americans get the concept, demanding justice from white people for evils done over a century ago by their ancestors.

Regarding babies, Christians don't look at babies saying, "They are sinning!" We look at babies recognizing the same things as everyone else. A baby is very self focused. A child as it grows has to learn from society how to think about others. If it remains self-focused, the child will grow up to do many evils (I work in law enforcement. Believe me when I say that an inability to consider others results in evil deeds). Children don't learn to sin, though they may learn various methodologies of how to act it out They have to be taught to do good.

Regardless of when and where we believe evil, sin, or guilt originated, we share the same desire for good. If we did not desire good, we would not be on an Amiga forum desiring good for the Amiga community, and developers.

Back on topic: When I first saw the Amiga, I was amazed at its capabilities.

tygre 
Posted on 24-Jul-2020 20:17:45
#80 ]

@PhantomInterrogative @yoodoo2 @BigD

Anyone who sees a baby and thinks "sin", anyone who sees a child and says "you must be saved", anyone who sees a person and says "you will end up in hell" (at the end of your natural life or through my hand)...

Anyone like that is just sick in their mind and need professional help!

@all Let's stay on topic!

Tygre

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle