Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  42 mins ago
 clint:  44 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: AmigaOS 3.2 for all Classic Amigas released and available
Posted on 23-May-2021 12:07:18
#101 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Replay of the 3.2 presentation

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 23-May-2021 17:15:41
#102 ]
Elite Member

@thread

AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ for all Classic Amigas available for download

Seems to be dated tomorrow?

redfox 
Posted on 23-May-2021 22:11:02
#103 ]
Elite Member

I ordered AmigaOS 3.2 from retrorewind.ca

---
redfox

hth313 
Posted on 24-May-2021 0:20:34
#104 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:

Recently one of the worst ones, Damien, was... banned! He was first removed by the moderator role because he did too much trolling on a thread (just by case: one about Vampire. Which he seems to hate), which was unsustainable even on a place like EAB. After that he was still trolling against other moderators, making cutting remarks. Now it's banned (don't know the reason).

But there are still moderators which act like fanatics.

Well, that was a piece of welcome information. Damien banned, I cannot express how much that pleases me.

Actually, when it comes to moderation I think EAB is the worst forum I have ever visited in my life. It was well expressed by an occasional visitor once, who said every time once in a while when he came there, he would find out that someone new had been banned.

Last edited by hth313 on 24-May-2021 at 12:21 AM.

hth313 
Posted on 24-May-2021 22:57:57
#105 ]

Seems like Damien is still posting though.

I find EAB tricky to navigate. Are there any entertaining threads I should visit? I have to admit that the place got quite boring after they banned Kolla.

To stay on topic. After having looked at the greek live broadcast of 3.2, I must say it looks really interesting. However, at the end I saw copyright Hyperion, which made me not feel so well. I think I will buy after they have settled their disputes in court.

BigD 
Posted on 25-May-2021 9:57:01
#106 ]
Elite Member

@hth313

Fair call. I still prefer the look of OS3.9 and find the developers comments about that OS quite catty like it should be obvious to any user that OS3.2 is a ‘major’ improvement!

The way I see it is that OS3.2 is a major code clean up and optimisation project (works on ANY Classic Amiga I think though they mentioned A500 as low target not A1000) with some nice additions inc ADF mounting, global help key, new Text Edit program and resizable Windows from any side! Nice and now with Reaction but why no AmiDock?

I still don’t see the major pull to overwrite stable OS3.9 systems but for a fresh install project it’s ideal

Get it while Hyperion are still allowed to sell it! I wouldn’t bet on the outcome of the court case and whatever happens customers always suffer and I’m guessing OS3.2 will be pulled for months whatever the outcome

QuikSanz 
Posted on 25-May-2021 21:54:55
#107 ]

@BigD

Looks like we need another script to load parts of 3.9 to 3.2.

Chris

BigD 
Posted on 25-May-2021 22:55:06
#108 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

I think their comments on the vid were summarised as manually copying the new Workbench library and Icon library from the OS3.2 Libs folder onto a working OS3.9 partition and leaving it at that! But that's just so that OS3.9 works with the new Kickstart 3.2 Roms so that you can dual boot! No guidance was given in terms of trying to blend the improvements into OS3.9! I assume that a third party developer would need to write a hack script as happened with OS3.1.4! Can AmiDock be installed from the OS3.9 Install CD onto a OS3.2 partition since it uses Reaction and that is now supported?

Time Stamp 1:06:06

matthey 
Posted on 25-May-2021 23:13:03
#109 ]
Elite Member

hth313 Quote:

Well, that was a piece of welcome information. Damien banned, I cannot express how much that pleases me.

Damien is an emotional roller coaster ride who is especially short on patience. He is the moderator who permanently banned me without a warning and without giving a reason. I was banned after I deleted my posts in a thread where he complained about me sharing an e-mail address which was already public and posting e-mails which he did not know whether I had permission to make public. He ignored the fact that personal attacks against me on the forum were from lies which I exposed. I expect he broke more forum rules than I did when he banned me. Moderators stand behind moderators and ignore the rules though. It is the same problem with the police policing themselves around the world.

hth313 Quote:

Actually, when it comes to moderation I think EAB is the worst forum I have ever visited in my life. It was well expressed by an occasional visitor once, who said every time once in a while when he came there, he would find out that someone new had been banned.

I agree. The topics on EAB are cool but the biased and frequent moderation is horrible. It can even be seen in the AmigaOS 3.2 threads.

hth313 Quote:

Seems like Damien is still posting though.

Maybe Damien was only temporarily banned which would be ironic considering how many permanent bans he handed out.

BigD Quote:

Fair call. I still prefer the look of OS3.9 and find the developers comments about that OS quite catty like it should be obvious to any user that OS3.2 is a ‘major’ improvement!

AmigaOS 3.2 looks to me like a major improvement over AmigaOS 3.9. AmigaOS 3.9 felt like it was many 3rd party programs tossed together while OS modules had bug fixes and a few improvements. It looks like AmigaOS 3.2 has more OS modules improved and does a better job of integrating improvements.

BigD Quote:

The way I see it is that OS3.2 is a major code clean up and optimisation project (works on ANY Classic Amiga I think though they mentioned A500 as low target not A1000) with some nice additions inc ADF mounting, global help key, new Text Edit program and resizable Windows from any side! Nice and now with Reaction but why no AmiDock?

I don't think they were able to get permission to included AmiDock. There is also no TCP/IP stack with nice Reaction GUI. AmigaOS 3.2 comes up short compared to AmigaOS 3.9 in the 3rd party inclusions for the distribution.

AmigaOS 3.2 requires 2MiB of memory so it will *not* work on something like 75% of 68k Amiga computers as they were shipped from CBM. This would likely include all Amiga 1000s, 500s, 600s, CDTVs and most Amiga 2000s and 3000s. Unexpanded AGA machines like the Amiga 1200, 4000 and CD32 may be able to boot AmigaOS 3.2 but probably wouldn't have enough memory free to do much. AmigaOS 3.9 requires 6 MiB of memory and AROS 68k requires about 6 MiB. AmigaOS 3.1 recommends 2MiB of memory but lists no minimum memory requirement. I expect it would run on a 512kiB Amiga like an Amiga 500 but I'm not so sure about an Amiga 1000 with 256kiB (the 512kiB AmigaOS 3.1 kickstart would not work on an original Amiga 1000 either).

BigD Quote:

I still don’t see the major pull to overwrite stable OS3.9 systems but for a fresh install project it’s ideal

Some of the code from AmigaOS 3.9 was not available so the developers had to start over sometimes going in different directions. The Reaction Prefs are an example. These modules are incompatible and mixing and matching incompatible modules could cause problems. Many programs from AmigaOS 3.9 like AmiDock, the TCP/IP stack and the browser should work fine but the OS modules of AmigaOS 3.2 with higher version numbers should be used when installing the new OS.

kolla 
Posted on 26-May-2021 0:03:00
#110 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
something like 75% of 68k Amiga computers as they were shipped from CBM.

Those 75% are long gone anyways.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 26-May-2021 0:43:09
#111 ]

@kolla,

Your prolly right there. Are there any un modified Amigas out there just as shipped, hell no, at least not many. I have 2 both have lots of added stuff.

Chris

Trekiej 
Posted on 26-May-2021 6:07:26
#112 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

Is Intuition and ReAction the two GUI API's available?

John 3:16

Trixie 
Posted on 26-May-2021 6:21:28
#113 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Trekiej

Quote:

Strictly speaking, they are not two different GUI APIs. ReAction is a GUI toolkit that makes use of Intuition's object-oriented API a.k.a. BOOPSI.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-May-2021 7:05:28
#114 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

So you can technically mix and match BOOPSI toolkits? MUI and Reaction gadgets in the same window?

matthey 
Posted on 26-May-2021 8:31:37
#115 ]
Elite Member

Trekiej Quote:

GadTools and ReAction are the two AmigaOS 3.2 GUI APIs built on Intuition (Intuition can be used directly for a GUI as well). GadTools is older, simpler and less flexible although it was recently updated to be more flexible as far as font sizes and scalability. Most AmigaOS 3 programs which use ReAction still use GadTools for the menus. Even the ReAction window.class may internally use GadTools for it's menus.

There is a new work in progress ROM Kernel Reference Manual Addendum which is mostly about Reaction at the following address.

https://www.retro-commodore.eu/rkrm-wip/?fbclid=IwAR1G4b7ksjeFcT85O487kxBaTtwj0eiNS13lnZfEbX_xmMmt_o0EsY4WELk

Trixie 
Posted on 26-May-2021 12:57:14
#116 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
So you can technically mix and match BOOPSI toolkits? MUI and Reaction gadgets in the same window?

A BOOPSI gadget should be written in such a way that it can be displayed in a window like any other Intuition gadget. That different toolkits use different layouting mechanisms is another thing.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

OldAmigan 
Posted on 26-May-2021 13:25:04
#117 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

V1.3 of Amidock is available on Aminet, although I imagine the OS3.9 version may be somewhat updated

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Trekiej 
Posted on 26-May-2021 22:54:54
#118 ]
Cult Member

@matthey and Trixie
That is very interesting. I wish I could go back and study C++ and C.
Working with Classes and Objects and Multiple Inheritances is interesting to me.

I would include STRUCtures with that too.
Complex Data Structures are something too.

Trekiej 
Posted on 27-May-2021 1:48:04
#119 ]
Cult Member

@thread

Does OS 3.2 do anything for gaming?

amigadave 
Posted on 27-May-2021 4:38:15
#120 ]

@thread,

I hope everyone realizes that buying OS3.2 does not support future development of anything Amiga related, and only funds Hyperion's court cases. I just can't contribute anything toward that company ever again, no matter what the outcome of the court case is. IMHO, Hyperion Entertainment is the worst thing to ever happen in the long sad story that is the Amiga.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle