Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

vox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  1 min ago
 kolla:  7 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  48 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr ago
 saimo:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Back when Ben was the White Knight!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Back when Ben was the White Knight!
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 15:11:40
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I wouldn't say Gunnar is trash talking the AKIKO in 2018 as it seemed like a reasonable assessment. But by 2020 he had suffered reversals and looked like a fan boy.

But I have to say, after researching the topic, I think AKIKO was a poor C2P solution. You had to do this:

1. Write chunky data to hardware register.
2. Read planar from hardware register.
3. Write data to separate bitplanes.

In most cases the data woud be cached to ram, fast ram if you were lucky. In that case, you would render a byte buffer to fast ram, then read from buffer, and write to hardware register. If you only had chip ram, then you would be writing to chip, reading from chip, writing to hardware register, reading from hardware register, then finally writing back to chip again!

Thats's too many reads and writes!

Do you know what else makes it poor? EGA had planar. And EGA had chunky to planar built into hardware! Almost ten years before AKIKO and the design looks simply superior. In a nutshell you write chunky into a register and the hardfware writes it into the planes for you. Don't even need to think about it.

I don't know if IBM would have sued Amiga if they used the same method from the onset. But when a machine more well known for chunky had superior bitplane write support, it makes you wonder what they were doing with the most well known planar machine for it's time and why they left it crippled. I think for this reason AGA having this EGA feature would have superior to the AKIKO solution.

My old thread on the topic:
https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43687&forum=2

Last edited by Hypex on 21-Jun-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 16:07:16
#42 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Enhancer would not be required if serious development money was being invested by Hyperion.

I didn't claim in my post that Hyperion were investing money in development of OS4. They aren't investing in OS3 development either. So unless thay've paid Trevor for access to the latest kernel version included in FE2 then aside from court cases the only money they've spent in the last few years would be on physical media for 3.1.4 and 3.2, website infrastructure and fees to their online sales partners and the rights to Reaction.

Quote:
I honestly don't believe that Hyperion's heart is in AmigaOS4.x development right now. Why would it be? AmigaOS3.2 is the cash cow that will see them through the court case

Hyperion's heart doesn't have to be in either version of the OS. The developers chose what gets updated and what new features are added. Hyperion by virtue of the rights granted to them or the rights they believe are granted in the settlement agreement are simply the conduit through which their work is published.

Quote:
A-EON/AmigaKit are playing a game of chicken not wanting to renegotiate the OEM contract.

Unless they've withdrawn Cyrus/X5000 from sale but still have it in stock then there is no reason to negotiate a new contract while they still don't have new X5000s and A1222s to sell.

Quote:
In addition, AmigaKit are choosing not to stock AmigaOS 3.2 (or aren't allowed too).

I've seen a few people make issue of this but none seem to have noticed the lack of Cloanto products available at Amigakit. Feel free to speculate.

Quote:
This all suggests things have soured somewhat for the AmigaOne partners!

There has certainly been disagreement and friction over the years but maybe not to the point of no co-operation since new versions of the kernel where released with both the December update and January hot-fix.

Quote:
So no I don't expect the fabled SMT support/OS4.2

The only time I think about the second core in my X1000 is when people who don't use OS4 bring it up. It would be nice to have but it didn't play a part in my decision to by the hardware and to that extent it doesn't bother me that it hasn't been supported to date.

Quote:
or the A1222 Plus with OEM copy of AmigaOS4.1FE any time soon.

Certainly as long as A1222+ boards aren't built.

Quote:
But hey if the beta testers weren't stuck behind a NDA I'm sure they'd probably (wrongly) tell me otherwise.

OS4.1FE update 2 is billed as "by far the largest update ever released for AmigaOS and includes more than 200 updated components with hundreds of bug fixes, improvements and new features and six completely new OS components." it certainly doesn't sound like it development has been, as you put it, stalled.

Quote:
But yes, I'm sure the beta testers are have fun testing all the small fry bug fixes and I'm glad the priority is keeping them happy

People who actually use the OS might not be so flippant about the huge number of hours the developers and beta testers put into improving the end user experience.

Lou 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 17:27:02
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Lou

I wouldn't say Gunnar is trash talking the AKIKO in 2018 as it seemed like a reasonable assessment. But by 2020 he had suffered reversals and looked like a fan boy.

But I have to say, after researching the topic, I think AKIKO was a poor C2P solution. You had to do this:

1. Write chunky data to hardware register.
2. Read planar from hardware register.
3. Write data to separate bitplanes.

In most cases the data woud be cached to ram, fast ram if you were lucky. In that case, you would render a byte buffer to fast ram, then read from buffer, and write to hardware register. If you only had chip ram, then you would be writing to chip, reading from chip, writing to hardware register, reading from hardware register, then finally writing back to chip again!

Thats's too many reads and writes!

Do you know what else makes it poor? EGA had planar. And EGA had chunky to planar built into hardware! Almost ten years before AKIKO and the design looks simply superior. In a nutshell you write chunky into a register and the hardfware writes it into the planes for you. Don't even need to think about it.

I don't know if IBM would have sued Amiga if they used the same method from the onset. But when a machine more well known for chunky had superior bitplane write support, it makes you wonder what they were doing with the most well known planar machine for it's time and why they left it crippled. I think for this reason AGA having this EGA feature would have superior to the AKIKO solution.

My old thread on the topic:
https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43687&forum=2

No one is disputing the process...but

He disses it here:
http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=2¬e=15535
He praises it here:
http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=5¬e=28256

If using AKIKO can save you CPU cycles, especially when your memory bus is whatever he claims faster than original, it's still an overall speedup.

Implementing AKIKO makes sense because it combines: Beauty, Grace, Gayle, 2 CIA's, a CDROM driver and fast C2P in one package. (Beauty and Grace were in the CDTV).

Again, C2P/P2C is reversible because it just reordered the input bits to the output and so he used it to speed up planar icon rendering onto chunky screens. IFF->Chunky screens...

Regardless:
In a little more details, DoomAttack.040:
c2p_Akiko2: 48.6 PFS (SA_7376x12)
c2p_040: 48.6 FPS
c2p_Blitter: 11.5 FPS

My whole point was implement AKIKO ... then enhance it. That was when everyone was trashing AKIKO (and me as a by-product) and when it came out that SAGA was just code running on the other cpu thread that the OS doesn't use. This also pre-dates the stand-alone version because the custom chipset reimplementation wasn't completed yet.

Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 20:48:53
#44 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Ben was never a white knight. He spread FUD from the beginning and put a lot of harm to the Amiga community.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 23:11:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

He saved AmigaOS from Amiga Inc; the Kent hockey arena, Washington scamming, Christmas Card Maker creating jokers that couldn't tell a QNX from a 68k SDL!

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 23:38:10
#46 ]
Elite Member

Who is the Black Knight & the Red Knight?

matthey 
Posted on 22-Jun-2021 3:35:13
#47 ]

Lou Quote:

Samuel Crow let the cat out of the bag.
I know nothing of Renee and EAB. Please link it to me.

http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?note=30552
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1405258#post1405258

Once again, I do not agree with Renee (nonarkitten on EAB). The accusations are highly speculative and do not agree with what I know from the Natami era and when I was part of the Apollo team.

Not only was the ColdFire evaluated for the Natami project, but the Apollo team talked about it often. While adding 68k support to ColdFire is difficult, adding ColdFire support to the 68k is easier. ColdFire sold well in the embedded market and was well liked even as a performance reduced 68k replacement. I pushed for better ColdFire compatibility and code density to be more appealing to the embedded market. We evaluated adding ColdFire instructions to the 68k which most compilers would be able to use with few changes as most backends support both the 68k and ColdFire. I thought adding the MVS and MVZ instructions as encoded in ColdFire looked pretty good. I created ADis Stats (not public) which created stats of disassembled code and allowed me to get an idea of how much code size would be reduced by certain ColdFire instructions. I added support to ADis to disassemble ColdFire instructions in 68k Amiga programs.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82709

I suggested ColdFire peephole optimizations which Frank Wille added to the vasm assembler. Gunnar ended up rejecting MVS and MVZ support as he didn't think 1%-3% average code density improvement was worthwhile even though the RISC-V team was very happy with a 1% code density improvement to their compressed encoding. I discovered MOV3Q was mostly used for stack args do to the ancient ABI and found a more general optimization with a new 16 bit sign extended immediate addressing mode so we rejected that and the poor encoding. We liked BITREV and BYTEREV functionality which the Apollo Core has. ColdFire instruction naming was inconsistent and generally poor so you don't see the names and Gunnar didn't use the encodings either but he ended up creating a funky ISA for the desktop for a core optimized for an FPGA. My point is that we looked closely at what Freescale did with ColdFire even though we generally didn't like what was done.

Gunnar's comments about ColdFire on the NXP forum make sense.

1) Support for BYTE and WORD instructions
ColdFire lost performance and 68k compatibility by removing byte and word sizes with negligible gains. In fact, later versions of ColdFire added support for some of these sizes with specific instructions back in which was helpful but inconsistent. A 2 bit encoding for size is actually optimal and the way to go to add a 64 bit size although the current 68k encoding doesn't support it everywhere which is why I wanted a new encoding map in a new 64 bit mode.

2) Support for more/all EA-Modes in all instructions
ColdFire also lost performance by restricting address modes to 6 byte length instructions. This increases the number of instructions needed and makes compiler support more difficult. The 68060 could only handle up to 6 byte length instructions in a single cycle as well and the ColdFire is basically a cut down version of the 68k by the same architect. Expanding the instruction length limit to 8 bytes for ColdFire (as well as the 68060 single cycle limit) would have included almost all instructions at that point. Gunnar had experimented with different instruction fetch sizes and reducing parts of the core to fit the cut down Apollo Core in the early Vampires with small FPGAs so it is reasonable to believe he would know what was and what was not limiting the timing of the core.

NXP wasn't interested in Gunnar's suggestions as they had likely already decided to abandon the weak ColdFire architecture and replace it with ARM while paying the license fee which is better than embarrassing themselves with half supported, inconsistent and poor ISA designs. Their brains probably turned to mush and all they offer now is ARM a la carte at a premium price.

Lou Quote:

My point exactly. How was 'compatibility' maintained? By throwing everything into the cpu.

You can't see it so it must be magic.

Lou Quote:

He didn't create a 3D accelerator, he created a 2D video card that plugged into a Zorro slot.
He thought AMMX would be enough but it isn't.

I thought Gunnar was working on 3D for a 2D Amiga video card that was never released. The only thing I heard was from him and he is not the most reliable source. AMMX is better than nothing but it is not even a complete MMX implementation due to limited space in an affordable FPGA.

Last edited by matthey on 23-Jun-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 23-Jun-2021 at 12:29 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 22-Jun-2021 at 03:38 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 22-Jun-2021 12:28:28
#48 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

You seem to have gone off on a tangent. IDC about ColdFire and that Gunnar may have 'reappropriated' it for the 050/070/080. I mentioned implementing AKIKO and enhancing it and in so doing found out SAGA is nothing more than a framebuffer for "HDMI out" [RTG] and some software running on the 2nd thread of the cpu. You've presented nothing to dispute this. As I said - it was so stated my at least one developer. Gunnar was supposed to 'open-source' SAGA...where is it?

kolla 
Posted on 22-Jun-2021 22:07:22
#49 ]
Elite Member

When you guys link to apollo-core board, remember to replace & with & in the URL.

Last edited by kolla on 22-Jun-2021 at 10:08 PM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 23-Jun-2021 18:21:23
#50 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

Converting slowness to fastness is better, then converting everything to slowness.

Not converting is even better.

Vampires have Chunky GFX and there are software expansions using PNGs instead of IFF for Icons.

If you want some kind of conversion speed up magic I would suggest YUV ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV ) into RGB or an YUV screen (usable for video acceleration) YUV 422 be implemented as a different interpretation of 8Bit chunky data. IMR Gunnar had something like this announced/planned for Natami.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 23-Jun-2021 18:27:41
#51 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Ben was never a white knight.

He was the red knight:
https://youtu.be/MtqyPFhubVs?t=210

amigadave 
Posted on 23-Jun-2021 20:06:30
#52 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Zylesea

He saved AmigaOS from Amiga Inc; the Kent hockey arena, Washington scamming, Christmas Card Maker creating jokers that couldn't tell a QNX from a 68k SDL!

Did he?

After so many years of Hyperion Entertainment controlling (and stalling) development of AmigaOS4, I'm convinced that even the inept and ridiculous McBill and the Amiga Inc. he represented, COULD NOT HAVE DONE WORSE than Hyperion Entertainment and Ben Hermans. We will never know, but that is what I think and feel, and I don't see any way that Ben and Hyperion Entertainment can ever make up for their previous actions and non-actions, that would change my mind.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jun-2021 23:14:52
#53 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

The fact that Amiga Inc just wanted straight port of OS3.1 for PPC with no improvements or development plan shows they weren't serious! They saw a cheap offer from Hyperion and bit their hand off. The problem was their's was all the IP but no toys! They didn't have any of the source code or even any Amiga Tech assets! A Tiger with no teeth! Ben beat them hands down both in the courts and at life!

RIP Vince but seriously this guy was VP of Operations! What operations? False attempts to sponsor a sports stadium or ordering a batch of Amiga branded mugs/t-shirts? Conjuring up another pre-order scam? Yeah, I can see how he would have been kept busy

Plus project managing the Christmas Card Maker product must have been a nightmare. Having to expedite the code development to get it out before Christmas. Phew! I need another burger just thinking about it

It might have been easier living a life of corporate espionage!

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jun-2021 23:23:39
#54 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Ben's looking like quite the slick business operator compared to Vince even with his blue rinse in his old age!

Mr Smooth Operator

amigadave 
Posted on 25-Jun-2021 2:03:41
#55 ]

@BigD

We will never know what would have happened, if the fools at Amiga Inc. hadn't given away their control of developing AmigaOS4 to the "Smooth Operator". It makes no difference, and it certainly does not make what was done, and how it was done "Right"!

My assertion is that no matter what McFool "might have done", it couldn't be much worse than what we have suffered through over the past 10+ years with Hyperion and Ben in charge.

Who knows, maybe the same developers who have volunteered so much of their time and talents to Hyperion, would have done the same for Amiga Inc., or they may have been successful in steering McFool in a better direction. Amiga Inc. certainly would have been easier to influence, than the inflexible Mr. Hermans, IMHO.

It's all a moot point, because AmigaOS4 on PPC is not going anywhere, and it doesn't appear that anyone has a plan that will save it.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 16:35:09
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
No one is disputing the process...but

Yes I already read it.

Quote:
If using AKIKO can save you CPU cycles, especially when your memory bus is whatever he claims faster than original, it's still an overall speedup.

But it's also rather confusing. SAGA has it's own registers for newer features. AKIKO is a CD32 specfic feature. Sure, Apollo core is based on AGA, but AKIKO is an obscure feature not common on other AGA machines.

Quote:
Implementing AKIKO makes sense because it combines: Beauty, Grace, Gayle, 2 CIA's, a CDROM driver and fast C2P in one package. (Beauty and Grace were in the CDTV).

But is it needed? The issue I see there is reimplementing another chip. Because AMMX is meant to fix that. The Blitter is there but looked down upon in new code as AMMX is considered better by keeping it in the CPU. And AMMX would be expected to perform C2P or P2C.

Quote:
Again, C2P/P2C is reversible because it just reordered the input bits to the output and so he used it to speed up planar icon rendering onto chunky screens. IFF->Chunky screens...

It is but the old design also has overhead as mentioned. Since it needs to be written to and read from. Even the Blitter takes a pointer to data, converts if needed, then writes out the result itself. I think AKIKO has too much manual intervention. It doesn't seem to fit with the chipset design.

Quote:
Regardless:

The 040 and AKIKO look to be converting at the same speed.

Quote:
My whole point was implement AKIKO ... then enhance it. That was when everyone was trashing AKIKO (and me as a by-product) and when it came out that SAGA was just code running on the other cpu thread that the OS doesn't use. This also pre-dates the stand-alone version because the custom chipset reimplementation wasn't completed yet.

If you enhance then compatbiliy can break. Is it worth enhancing or replacing as SAGA does?

I keep reading about this other CPU thread. Is this thread part of the 080 core? Or in the FPGA?

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 16:50:32
#57 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
We will never know what would have happened, if the fools at Amiga Inc. hadn't given away their control of developing AmigaOS4 to the "Smooth Operator". It makes no difference, and it certainly does not make what was done, and how it was done "Right"!

I got no indication they were interested in developing it at all. All I could see was OS3.5/OS3.9 as a stop gap. And the Amiga Objects plan to keep us interested.

What they did is release AmigaDE. Which wasn't actually Amiga. OSX opening windows on a desktop doesn't mean it was related to Windows.

And they also announced OS4. Again, it was just to keep us interested. OS4 x86 was announced where they would develop the next Amigas OS, apparently. OS5. Then, Amiga OS5 would be released, apparently back on PPC. Right...

Quote:
It's all a moot point, because AmigaOS4 on PPC is not going anywhere, and it doesn't appear that anyone has a plan that will save it.

Was it going anywhere? Was it meant too? I'll paraphrase a comment I read about in an Apollo games edition for the Vampire and how it all started.

"Papa. Why do I have to click all these icons? This is too complicated!"

And there's your answer. I think it applies here. OS4 will not go anywhere because it is too complicated. It works backwards to a modern OS. They want it to move along. They need to make is user friendly. Instead of manually setting up drivers and crap. The OS needs to locate what drivers it needs and do it. For one thing among others.

Trixie 
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 18:10:29
#58 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigadave

Quote:
AmigaOS4 on PPC is not going anywhere, and it doesn't appear that anyone has a plan that will save it.

But how can you make a plan when it's unclear who owns what? How can you start any serious undertaking when every Tom, Dick and Harry feels free to sue you?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 22:33:13
#59 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

AI was simlpy incompetent, after a short while noone with a remotely working brain took them serious, hence no harm, but a bit hurting to see if you were remotely fond to the name and idea of Amiga.

Hyperion on the other hand promised things they weren't able to deliver and copycated MorphOS and divided the community. MorphOS was already there to fill the void. And in retrospect MorphOS leaving all the name and legal shebang behind them was one of the best decisions.

And when I met Ben in early 2000s he was just arrogant and refused to talk to us who wanted to sort out the separation of the Amiga commnity.

Then again I don't care too much, as I went the MorphOS route which, as said - did best with creating a bit of an own identity. Nevertheless I see MorphOS as part of the Amigaworld and am a bit interested in the other Amiga favours. But it sadens me to see what happened to all the stuff where the name is involved.

matthey 
Posted on 27-Jun-2021 5:01:07
#60 ]

Zylesea Quote:

AI was simply incompetent, after a short while noone with a remotely working brain took them serious, hence no harm, but a bit hurting to see if you were remotely fond to the name and idea of Amiga.

Is Hyperion more competent?

Amiga Inc. business plan:
Java byte code will translate to Tao Intent Virtual Processor code which will translate to native code on the fly and faster than Java interpreted code. It has nothing to do with the Amiga and the Amiga name is used in a market that has nothing to do with the Amiga but maybe Amiga users can be persuaded to try the product because it uses the Amiga name.

Accomplishments:
Acquired the rights to the Amiga IP sufficient for Amiga branding.

End game:
Amiga Inc. ran out of money and went into hibernation hoping some opportunity would come their way.

---

Hyperion business plan:
PPC hardware manufacturers will line up and pay for an AmigaOS for the desktop which has no SMP, 64 bit support, memory protection or process isolation and pay an outrageous price for this noncompetitive AmigaOS when there are free alternatives which are competitive and support hardware which offers more value. Not enough copies of PPC AmigaOS were sold to support development so it was necessary to go after the 68k AmigaOS market which was larger despite no support and noncompetitive hardware but it was possible to take all the profit to survive. There is no money to port the AmigaOS to other platforms.

Accomplishments:
Ported the AmigaOS to PPC but with half Amiga compatibility and half next gen desktop features.

End game:
Hyperion ran out of money developing the PPC AmigaOS which went into hibernation while taking all the profits from 68k AmigaOS development to stay alive and hoping some opportunity would come their way.

---

Why would investors and potential business partners ignore these opportunities with failed business models? Shouldn't their fine reputations be enough to attract opportunities?

Zylesea Quote:

And when I met Ben in early 2000s he was just arrogant and refused to talk to us who wanted to sort out the separation of the Amiga community.

Ben is still just as arrogant and stubborn. The game he is playing is like bluffing in poker with poor cards. The odds are against him but he is a gambler to the end, which could be relatively soon. Most of the PPC AmigaOS fan boys on this site have been humbled but never Ben.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle