Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
45 crawler(s) on-line.
 31 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaPapst:  8 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  12 mins ago
 Marcian:  14 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  16 mins ago
 kolla:  23 mins ago
 Hammer:  44 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  A-EON is internally testing Alpha releases of their own operating system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: A-EON is internally testing Alpha releases of their own operating system
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 3:37:03
#101 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Quote:
Based on what key criteria?

Just the size and scope of the project, mostly. Users are demanding. Twenty years ago people wanted A, B, and C. Now they want A-Z, and more. You know, "please spend the rest of your life writing this subsystem that I'm going to use once every two weeks."

It would be a fun project for people who like operating systems, just not very practical.

Profile     Report this post  
AP 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 6:56:15
#102 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS
Quote:

Potejto potaato, call it what you want; (...) it is a new OS re-implementation, (...) Just like how it was done when developing AROS, MorphOS, and OS4 at early stages.

The main-difference is the kernel: They (Trevor) own and are able to use the original-kernel of AmigaOS4, so it's - like Trixie said - in fact more like a distribution. A small but important difference to other re-implementations.

And the first step isn't a OS-replacement but a self booting Enhancer-CD/stick for preparing HD, copying files and installing another OS (e.g. AmigaOS4) on A-EON-hardware. It's also for people who wont´t mix Enhancer-components with AOS4-components - they can keep a "clean" AOS4-installation and install AOS4+Enhancer (or better: Enhancer+AOS4) on a separate partition. And last not least its more efficient for us beta testers to test Enhancer-components on a separate partition.

agami 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 7:13:05
#103 ]

@matthey

Quote:
But was it A-Eon's financial support of "Hyperion and their courtroom ways" which freed the PPC AmigaOS from Amiga Inc. for them to use?

In 2009, A-Eon's priority was speed-to market. The original plan had X1000s coming out mid 2010. The quickest thing at the time was to free up Hyperion to continue the PPC AmigaOS work.

At the time, I may have made the same choice if I were building a completely new custom motherboard and system. Of course, and I have said this back then, I would not have gone straight to custom board, but that's a story for another time.

My main point is: I would not have waited this long. The first and only slap in the face I would've needed was the botched launch of the X5000 in 2015. I would've stopped throwing good money after bad and funded an AROS distro/fork.

Quote:
AROS is a valuable resource for what it is missing but AmigaOS is more efficient and compatible.

I agree, but if I'm A-Eon my goal is not efficiency. I'm trying to grow a user-base and a developer community around a new set of Power hardware as quickly as possible, whilst maintaining some form of lineage to the legacy Amiga.

While I still don't agree with the strategy of marketing a set of new/obsolete and highly priced Power-based hardware as the way forward for what is left of Amiga, I do agree with distancing/disconnecting from bad actors.

matthey 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 12:24:35
#104 ]

agami Quote:

In 2009, A-Eon's priority was speed-to market. The original plan had X1000s coming out mid 2010. The quickest thing at the time was to free up Hyperion to continue the PPC AmigaOS work.

At the time, I may have made the same choice if I were building a completely new custom motherboard and system. Of course, and I have said this back then, I would not have gone straight to custom board, but that's a story for another time.

I don't blame Trevor for financially backing Hyperion to free AmigaOS 4 from the shady Amiga Inc. which had become a zombie after losing funding. It would have been difficult to know at that time that Ben was beyond shady and a crook. I wonder if Trevor contemplated or tried to buy out Amiga Inc. at that time which would have been a better way to go. It was a surprise and a great strategic maneuver by Michele to buy Amiga Inc. instead.

The PPC didn't look so bad at the time of the X1000. The PA Semi CPU designs were new and good although the first one was aimed at embedded and was trading performance for low power. The X1000 should have been a cheaper design rather than a full fledged desktop tower with the performance of an embedded CPU and using half the CPU cores running AmigaOS. There was a lot of fluff that could have been eliminated to make it cheaper. There were already Eyetec and Acube AmigaOnes running AmigaOS 4 so the rush to the X1000, which was late, didn't keep AmigaOS 4 from having SMP support but rather it was compatibility. AmigaOS 4 is only half way to a next generation desktop AmigaOS and going all the way likely requires breaking compatibility which is not worth it for the dead PPC architecture.

agami Quote:

My main point is: I would not have waited this long. The first and only slap in the face I would've needed was the botched launch of the X5000 in 2015. I would've stopped throwing good money after bad and funded an AROS distro/fork.

The AmigaOne X1000, X5000 and A1222 have all been late. The PPC branch of AROS isn't very well developed and updating it to SMP like the x86-64 branch would lose compatibility with AmigaOS 3 and 4 but maybe could have some compatibility to the x86-64 branch. PPC hardware should have stopped at the Amiga X1000 and no later than the X5000. The A1222 is likely the last PPC hardware if it ever comes out. For the low end Amiga market, A 68k SoC ASIC on a SBC would be more compatible and cheaper than an A1222 or Sam460. For the higher end desktop market, an architecture change is needed but then I don't see a way to make a profit so goodbye A-Eon.

agami Quote:

I agree, but if I'm A-Eon my goal is not efficiency. I'm trying to grow a user-base and a developer community around a new set of Power hardware as quickly as possible, whilst maintaining some form of lineage to the legacy Amiga.

While I still don't agree with the strategy of marketing a set of new/obsolete and highly priced Power-based hardware as the way forward for what is left of Amiga, I do agree with distancing/disconnecting from bad actors.

I think even Trevor would agree with the distancing from bad actors part. I bet he regrets a few of his strategic moves and choices of business partners. The end doesn't justify the means.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 13:37:14
#105 ]

@matthey,

I agree, we talked about this. There is a whole more that can be done with this OS with more grunt on a single core, read ASIC, or if the task can be split, more. I'm sure it will be done by some one.

We need apps bad, this is problem ONE. Everything is dated and behind. Terminills will never finish all of final suite by himself and APDF is way behind now, just a couple of examples.

Chris

davidf215 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 15:26:22
#106 ]

@ne_one, Quote:

The problem isn't the technology, it's the donkeys who control the IP.

The more I think about it, the more this rings true.

kolla 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 15:30:21
#107 ]
Elite Member

Am I the only one who think Studio 54?

bison 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 21:07:48
#108 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I was thinking of Car 54.

Car 54, Where Are You?

BigD 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 22:09:13
#109 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
I bet he regrets a few of his strategic moves and choices of business partners. The end doesn't justify the means.

Look at Hermans though! Falling out with that old man would be like hating your friendly old Grandpa Joe!

BigD 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 22:22:37
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

...when he was younger he used to do school assemblies and tell the children 'Just Show' stories!

...he was also "all about cutting edge gaming" on the Amiga! Just look at the passion! How did he not get Worms Armageddon ported by shear force of personality?

Last edited by BigD on 07-Jul-2021 at 10:23 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Jul-2021 22:32:57
#111 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

...here he is tucking into his 'chip' supper!

Last edited by BigD on 07-Jul-2021 at 10:33 PM.

BSzili 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 3:59:11
#112 ]

@AP

Sure, it's more like a distro for now, but come on. Why would they need to replace AddBuffers, Assign, Copy, List, MakeDir, etc commands, if their goal is not making a stand-alone OS in the long run? Don't tell me that the ones in OS4 have such crippling limitations that they had no choice but to re-implement them for their distro. No linux distro started out with "we need to write our own version of ls and cp".

AP 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 5:07:53
#113 ]
Cult Member

@BSzili: I don´t say that a full blown distro or even a standalone-OS MAY not be possible in the future, but for now we are testing a self-booting Enhancer-CD for A-Eon-hardware, which has the purpose to prepare the hard disks, copying files and install an OS AFTERWARDS.

And for preparing a hard disk, copying files etc. you need commands like COPY etc. (remember this CD/stick will be used BEFORE you install the OS).

I know this isn't as dramatic as the an-headline but it's the current reality.

Last edited by AP on 08-Jul-2021 at 06:22 AM.

tlosm 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 9:21:46
#114 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
A-EON is internally testing Alpha releases of their own operating system

why i have to use this OS? where i will use this os? on Aeon machines (too slow for open a website like is facebook?) sorry i will prefer use Win,Lnx,MacOS and amiga os on classic amiga or OS4 on a Sam or an AmigaOne Micro/Xe.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:19:04
#115 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
on Aeon machines (too slow for open a website like is facebook?)

Not really, the problem is again on the software side, sadly we do not have 1000 of developers that work full time on this funded by sponsors and courses, support contract with major companies.

Anyway composition, good 3D support, can also accelerate page rendering, not sure if any time was invested into this. as well as web assembly, Javascript JIT support, and techniques, speeds up the execution of scripts on page.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Jul-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:21:28
#116 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Not really, the problem is again on the software side, sadly we do not have 1000 of developers that work full time on this funded by sponsors and courses, support contract with major companies.

Having even 1000 ACTIVE users would be a start....

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:28:06
#117 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@Rose

1000 active users.. AAAAH AH AHA AHAHAHA AHAHAH HA HAAAAA

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:29:28
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Yes, page has only 6043 users, where some margin hare inactive accounts.

Anyway there Spanish and French web pages as well, they never come here due to the language barrier, there AmigaOS4.x user that never come here because of all fighting in comments. There also other pages like EAB that also where popular places, with users that never come here. How many of this user that have at one time registered a user account here I do not know. There some exotic Swedish pages, and popular germen pages. but combined amount active Amiga users are more 1000 I’m pretty sure.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Jul-2021 at 12:30 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:29:28
#119 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

AAAAAA AHAHAHAH AH AHA HAAHHAHA HA HA HAAAAAAA....... JESUS JESUS SAVIOR OF US ALL

AAAAHAHAHAHAHHA HAAAAAAAAAAAA....

COUGH
HAH.........

.....MEGA

Rose 
Posted on 8-Jul-2021 12:39:48
#120 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thought that this thread is about OS4 and it's possible replacement.

Like it or not, classic userbase is several times larger than NG combined.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle