Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  10 mins ago
 Rob:  48 mins ago
 billt:  56 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Zool Redimensioned - Out Now!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
agami 
Re: Zool Redimensioned - Out Now!
Posted on 22-Aug-2021 1:19:53
#21 ]

@BigD

Quote:
... but yes they want to know how we tick and what to sell us!

Is not awareness of the game MS are playing not sufficient inoculation? Or are thee still so easily tricked?

Profile     Report this post  
Chris_Y 
Posted on 22-Aug-2021 18:33:56
#22 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
Chris_Y Quote:

That's surely true of any OS as all the legacy stuff hangs around.

But Windows 10 is supposed to be smaller (@BigD apears to have confirmed this), and is certainly faster.

And it's supported, which is more important! Especially if you're connecting it to the Internet.

A good antivirus program takes care of most security issues.

It's far better to have the holes plugged, and AV software is starting to drop Windows 7 as it's unsupported.

Quote:

The big problem is not MS dropping support but 3rd party programs dropping support for older versions of Windows, usually for no good reason. That is why I had to upgrade Windows XP which I liked better than Windows 7, was faster than Windows 7 and worked perfectly fine. From what I've seen of Windows 10 and heard from others, I would like Windows 10 even less. Windows 7 and 10 have the same minimum requirements.

They do it because Microsoft no longer support it. Why release commercial software for a version of Windows which is no longer supported? It may work, but it certainly won't have been tested. It's not worth the risk.

Quote:

It's planned obsolescence when 10 year old computers are capable of doing what most people need. I wish computers were made that I wasn't forced to upgrade. The MS ecosystem encourages bloat by dropping support for older Windows versions on older but adequate hardware. Programmers then fluff up software for no reason. Take Zool for example of bloat over a long time period. The CPU clock frequency requirement has increased by over 400 times and the processor performance is likely over 1000 times higher. Memory requirements have increased by over 16,000 times and storage requirements by over 1000 times. Some people would call this progress but it's wasteful.

Well, I do agree with this bit. But if it's a problem, run Linux. Zool will probably work on it too, if it doesn't, just run UAE and the original.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Aug-2021 14:56:11
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

I am confused as to why a small footprint single player game with no online multiplayer would require Windows 10 when the DirectX version required is supported by Windows 7 and the distribution system Steam also supports Windows 7!

Lazy students?

agami 
Posted on 24-Aug-2021 4:20:57
#24 ]

Oh for crying out loud. Have none of you ever produced something, or worked at a company that produced something that required to be supported?

If I'm a small software/games studio, I would look to save on development, testing, and support costs.
If I target a single OS version, then my testing and support costs are much smaller.
The software/game may very well run on other versions, e.g. Windows 7 and 8.x. But I'm not making sure it runs on those, and I'm not going to have multiple versions of Windows to troubleshoot issues as part of support.

By stating the requirement/supported system is Windows 10, and other specific minimum hardware requirements, I make sure that those that run into issues with the software/game on Windows 7 or 8.x are immediately triaged out of my support commitments/capacity.

Windows 10 was released 6 years ago. You are perfectly within your rights to run whatever previous Microsoft OS you wish. But you shouldn't be surprised that in 2021 a software/game studio is not interested in supporting users on operating systems from 10 years ago.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Aug-2021 10:19:45
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Cheese

I know they were trying to create an effect but the lettering is still confusing me. Even after seeing what is meant I am still asking. What does Redime Sioned mean?

BigD 
Posted on 27-Aug-2021 10:28:20
#26 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Then they lose out on their precious academy funding then! There’s always Cuphead DLC upcoming and Streets of Rage 4 to play

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle