Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 Frank:  17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  36 mins ago
 MickJT:  55 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmiDVD Copy Aiff to CD-R
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ggw 
AmiDVD Copy Aiff to CD-R
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 3:11:42
#1 ]

Amiga X1000 OS4 FE, update 1. AmiDVD Nov.28,2016

Complaint: Copied CD of AIFF. It plays on Amiga. But in the CD player it is all Buzz, then HISS all the way to the end.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I played CD in my cd player and it played properly. CD is two AIFF format tracks of a personal recording I made several years ago which was made by a professional outfit.

I made a disk folder, copied the 2 tracks to that folder (they played properly there).
Used AmiDVD to create an image file from the source being that folder. Put a brand new CD-R in the Amiga, told AmiDVD to Burn image. It's size is close to the sum of my 2 tracks.

I ran verify. Happy. Play that CD-R on my Amiga. Great.

Put it in my CD player and an annoyingly loud buzz for, say, 3 seconds is followed by a quiet-ish HISS until the CD time (it seemed to know of) expired. End of CD.

--------------------------
What might I try to get a copied AIFF files to play in my cd player?

Last edited by ggw on 16-Nov-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Last edited by ggw on 16-Nov-2021 at 03:30 AM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: AmiDVD Copy Aiff to CD-R
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 12:52:25
#2 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Had you been using Update 2 AmiDVD wouldn't have worked.

So your source CD, is this actually a CD containing two AIFF files? Because if your CD player can play that it must be fancy one with extra features as I don't recall any that play AIFF files. I've only seen CD, MP3 and WMA.

You didn't say the CD was CD audio or I could make a guess. With an audio CD OS4 adds AIFF files to the volume so it's unclear from here. If the CD is a data CD with AIFF files AmiDVD should be able to copy it fine.

I don't know how AmiDVD handles an audio CD. But both MakeCD and FryingPan can handle both audio and data CDs. MakeCD can create an audio CD from AIFF files, just slightly more fiddly than modern software.

ggw 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 13:51:23
#3 ]

@Hypex

I don't understand "Update2". Oh. OS4 FE update 2? Well, I have 1 and you are saying the after one upgrades to 2 AmiDVD becomes worthless? Hmm. Onward to my desire of my last post.

However, this morning I did find that I am used to playing CD by loading it into the X1000. When the CD appears on the desktop, I double click it and in the resulting window show me the tracks, I click on which ever one I want to hear. Shortly thereafter a second small window with is obviouslya "Play!" icon comes up and I click on that and it plays immediately.

I admit I do not know how a CD is different from a series of tracks stored on a CD.

I have only one CD drive so I copied the track to a folder, as I said, and used AmiDVD to make the "CD" image and then burned it. That burned CD plays exactly in the same way as the original.

However, THE difference is the original can also respond to the Amiga PlayCD (which I do not use ordinarily), but my AmiDVD CD-R is totally ignored by PlayCD.

So! What do I have to do to make a CD-R (or whichever) that playCD accepts?

Last edited by ggw on 16-Nov-2021 at 01:55 PM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

klx300r 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 13:54:30
#4 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

AmiDVD hasn’t worked at all on my system for a few years now sadly after one of the FE updates came out or one of the AEon updater ones can’t remember

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

ggw 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 13:57:19
#5 ]

@klx300r

I'm getting the picture. I still am under the impression that OS4 (whichever) could make playable CDs. No?

redfox 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 18:13:03
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

I used AmiDVD for many years to create bootable recovery CD-R discs for my OS4 system.

Never used AmiDVD to create audio CDs, so I don't know how to do that.

MakeCD can do it, however, I never used MakeCD for audio CDs.

Unfortunately, AmiDVD does not work with AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 16-Nov-2021 at 06:16 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 19:09:54
#7 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

It's been a long time but I used to use mpdecode to convert MP3 to AIFF and then I burned the files to the root of the CD. No folders.

That worked fine AFAICR.

This was on my a4k using MakeCD but I think that any burning software should work as long as you burn the files to the root of the CD.

Last edited by hotrod on 16-Nov-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 16-Nov-2021 19:41:14
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Make CD along with a keyfile and documentation i available at the following link.

http://www.estamos.de/makecd/

ggw 
Posted on 17-Nov-2021 3:25:36
#9 ]

@Rob

Thanks. It mentioned CD-R, so I looked for that and got to the bottom where the last update was 1999.

Since the X1000 is a circa 2012 setup, can you guess if am I wading into "unknown, but not dangerous waters" to pursue MakeCD some 21 years after?

I suppose you would suggest my looking online for MakeCD, eh?
Not very many posts. One claimed that the learning curve was steep.
Looking around did cause me login to Amiga.org where I haven't been for a very long time.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Nov-2021 14:44:13
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Yes I meant OS4 FE Update 2.

Okay now I know what you mean by tracks. Yes that is an OS4 feature but also confusing. When an audio CD is inserted OS4 will mount a volume with the audio tracks available as AIFF files. From your description you are playing them by opening the files that loads up MultiView.

A real audio CD doesn't have AIFF tracks like this. Even though it has tracks. An audio CD will be in CDDA format with a custom format. Compact Disc Digital Audio.

To recreate the CD you need to image it. AmiDVD should be able to do this. But you will need to use AmiDVD to create an image direct from the disc.

By all accounts, PlayCD is acting as expected. It only plays audio CDs. Your CD would not be an audio CD, but would be a data CD with audio data, in this case AIFF files.

So you will need to use AmiDVD to image the disc, then write the image to a CDR, if it can. I don't know if you can select disc type as data or audio. Or use MakeCD. Or FryingPan. MakeCD will take AIFF and create an audio CD.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Nov-2021 14:46:59
#11 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Some years back I was using MakeCD to burn mp3 files to CD. But, it kept converting them, so it made an audio CD. This wasn't what I wanted, since I wanted a data CD, with mp3 files.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Nov-2021 14:49:04
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I know it was made free but that site is still a confusing hot mess. You need to patch four archives together to get the complete final build. I did this years so maybe I should just upload it to Aminet.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Nov-2021 14:54:28
#13 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Not sure about X1000, I do have one, but only used MakeCD on XE. And it does indeed work on OS4. Harder to set up than AmiDVD and use but it was popular when life was more complicated.

I do recall the write pri had to be slightly lowered in tool types. As the program GUI would lock up. Still worked but waited on disc. This may not be the case now. Since the X1000 and drivers are way newer.

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Nov-2021 1:36:45
#14 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Rob

I know it was made free but that site is still a confusing hot mess. You need to patch four archives together to get the complete final build. I did this years so maybe I should just upload it to Aminet.

please upload this to Aminet because I can't make heads or tails from that site and would like to see if I can get MakeCD working on either my 1200T or X1000

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

ggw 
Posted on 18-Nov-2021 2:52:48
#15 ]

@Hypex

Am taking your advice about AmiDVD. I hate learning software only to have it slip away, but I probably will be upgrading my X1000 to the latest and (almost) greatest in the next couple months.

If AmiDVD doesn't work for me I'll do battle with MakeCD. I have 21 personal recordings ( 1 for each April Fool's party starting around 1978 and ceasing in 2002 ) missing some whenever I was needed "far away" for several weeks at a time to get a couple million $ industrial tomography scanner (every dang one of them a custom job for a valued customer!) that needed a programmer with a EE degree to see to it that it would meet the acceptance test. Ah .. the good ol' days.

If none of this works, then I'll go to the next town north and have the guy(s) who converted cassette tapes to CD in the first place. They'll copy them (for a pretty penny, I assume). So I'm going to succeed IF I get to keep at it. Ha! The copies? They go to older pandemic fearing people I know who'll transcribe what can be made out (it is a party of 20 or so "drop by" people in (and around) my 1200 sq ft house) to give as presents to party attendees who I can find a mailbox for who kept coming to the parties over the years (and were not too shy to contribute to the very public recording) though vicarious pleasure is not unheard of around here.

Rob 
Posted on 18-Nov-2021 19:06:04
#16 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

I've found a copy of the manual supplied by Hi Soft. It doesn't cover making an audio CD from samples but if you follow the data CD turorial just to get the hang of the program you should be able to figure the rest out for yourself. I never made audio discs myself but after I burned my first few data discs I never need to pick up the manual again including when I added an A1 XE and an amithlon system to my collection.

https://retro-commodore.eu/files/downloads/amigamanuals-xiik.net/Applications/MakeCD%20-%20Manual-ENG.pdf

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Nov-2021 16:37:24
#17 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Okay I've uploaded it to Aminet last night but I don't know if it will be accepted. I didn't get a rejection email but it hasn't appeared yet either. I did setup FileZilla to do it but it's an awkward program to use, I don't even know if the files are uploading correctly, and the creators could learn from AmiFTP or similar on how to layout a normal working interface.

Last edited by Hypex on 19-Nov-2021 at 04:38 PM.

petrol 
Posted on 19-Nov-2021 22:10:45
#18 ]

MakeCD works on AmigaOS4, and to burn audio tracks or audio files (aiff, wave or mp3) to a Audio CD, just drag and drop the files to the main window.

Regards,

Last edited by petrol on 19-Nov-2021 at 10:11 PM.

ggw 
Posted on 20-Nov-2021 1:28:21
#19 ]

@Hypex

I see what you mean about AmiNet. Guess I'll check in on Sunday.

Am going to go read about "minimum CDDA setup".

cgutjahr 
Posted on 20-Nov-2021 16:39:07
#20 ]
Cult Member

@ggw

Apologies for the delay. We could not moderate the Aminet upload as is without asking permission from the copyright owners first. I forgot to contact them yesterday, just sent the mail. I'll report back here once I hear back from them.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle