Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
41 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  32 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  32 mins ago
 amig_os:  45 mins ago
 cdimauro:  52 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 berylbruse:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 timothyferriss:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Caspian:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Hondo:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Yes, I would Join! £30
Yes, for less
Maybe
No
Bad idea, I have a better one....
Pancakes!

PosterThread
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Re: Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Posted on 10-Sep-2022 10:36:37
#181 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

and now,
and always

ZORRAM

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Posted on 10-Sep-2022 21:45:24
#182 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

Got it. However 640MB of RAM used only for that (I saw some videos with the OSD interface that is displayed) looks overkill to me.

It is, if it was just that. But it also provides various services on the Linux side, like samba share, sshd (for midnight commander and whatever), ftpd etc. and it leaves some ram for us who wish even more.

Quote:
It would be interesting to have an AROS port for MiSTer / DE-10 Nano: to me it's the perfect (small) o.s. for these kind of projects.

I have a disk image with AROS/68k on mine, though it is many years old now.

BigD 
Posted on 10-Sep-2022 22:51:08
#183 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:

MEGA_RJ_MICAL wrote:
and now,
and always

... Violent Ken!

eliyahu 
Posted on 11-Sep-2022 17:38:32
#184 ]

@thread

David has posted a video on his proposed organization on Youtube. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOrM1JnCs8

-- eliyahu

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Sep-2022 18:31:52
#185 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Summary:
Everyone in the Amiga community should pay fee. (30 UKP / yearly subscription.)
Telling random people what you have in your house or apartment, is that good idea?
Services (animators, music, graphics, repair service), contact information.
New Global platform (like Amigaworl.net, amiga.org, eab, amigans, morphzone, facebook, Discord, Twitter)
Downloads (old videos, documentaries, audio book)
Some money going back to software development, and hardware design.
20% of money going back into community. (Promotion, market, advertise.)
if pay some bucks to David CAGA, you are allowed advices for David for free.
None profit foundation (%80 go somewhere.)
Funding of random hardware and software (instead of you having to sponsor developers directly.).
Tremendous Group, cerate Hollywood movie, maybe not possible (worthwhile cause.).
Nothing to lose (only few bucks).
Benefits in numbers, to bringing alliance to alive.
Put the Amiga family on the map.
Sell new stickers with CAGA, bypass greedy people selling C=, other logos.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Sep-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 11-Sep-2022 19:41:33
#186 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@eliyahu

Summary:

The Amiga community has fallen for so many obvious scams, whats one more...

matthey 
Posted on 12-Sep-2022 3:25:07
#187 ]

Kronos Quote:

The Amiga community has fallen for so many obvious scams, whats one more...

I don't think CAGA is a scam. I believe it has good intentions especially to boost community morale but there are issues.

o The Amiga community is very divided by the different Amiga like OS camps, hardwares and emulators which is getting worse in my opinion. While most of us still identify as Amigans, it is a tough sell to bring us together and cooperate.

o Spending CAGA money on hardware or software will benefit some camps more than others. The MorphOS camp may want to invest in Radeon drivers while the AmigaOS 4 camp may want to invest in NVidia drivers. Maybe they could be paid to exchange drivers sources but then someone else is going to complain they didn't get anything from the exchange. Without NG API standards, it would be difficult to make payments for software ports available to all and the largest 68k AmigaOS camp may not benefit at all from more modern ports. Funding 68k Amiga hardware would do the most to increase the community size but then it would compete with NG camps.

o Is spending multi millions of dollars on movies to boost morale better than spending the same amount of money for competitive hardware? We can get Amiga users and ex-Amiga users all excited about the Amiga from the professional movies for them only to find overpriced under-powered incompatible Amiga NG hardware in short supply, overpriced and under-powered Amiga FPGA hardware, failing original 68k Amiga hardware in short supply, eye candy gimmick hardware using emulation that is not as capable as the original hardware, a divided community using incompatible hardware and software, endless lawsuits, etc. The history of the Amiga as cutting edge and innovative is cool and we used to have one of the most standard and affordable hardware PC platforms but the modern reality is embarrassing and depressing so goodbye morale boost.

o Maybe it would be better to use the community money collected to try to buy out divided practically dead entities and reassemble and revive the Amiga under new leadership. David Pleasance is trying to shake things up and make things happen for the Amiga. He deserves credit for his leadership at CBM UK where his understanding of marketing was very good and could be useful today. It will be difficult to turn the sinking Amiga ship around especially with current leadership in the way and unwilling to merge, sell out or cooperate. Just getting community support and community leader support is likely not enough but maybe building momentum with it could encourage current leadership to act.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 12-Sep-2022 4:44:05
#188 ]

Quote:

matthey wrote:

I don't think CAGA is a scam.

Friend matthey,
I have underlined the key point for you.

Yes, you so not think, we know.

If there's something that Kickstarter and other circuses of the past decade should have taught you nimrods, is that there's an entire new dangerous generation of scammers out there:

the unintentional scammers.

They have good intentions, and perhaps even USED to have talent, or skill,
which they delude themselves to still have.
But they don't.
Not anymore.

They dream to relieve the glories of their past, with a little financial help from "the crowd".
They go around rattling a tin can, you recognize them as "That guy who did that thing", and chip in.
And then, when it gets to actually do something,
they find out they're not as productive, talented or motivated as they used to be.

Watching that last youtube video made my heart sink, friend matthey. Sink!
The vacuous look in those spent eyes.
The sheer sadness exuding from that tie.

It is time, my dearest among all friends,
not to back,
but to back away.

- From the ever-shiny, finely waxed varnished and polished desk of
"MEGA" RJ MICAL, Esquire, Phd
& Associates

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ VVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ferrels 
Posted on 12-Sep-2022 18:40:38
#189 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
They have good intentions, and perhaps even USED to have talent, or skill,
which they delude themselves to still have.
But they don't.

Gotta agree with you 100% on this. This forum is infested with the delusional and with simpletons who are egged on by people who are either looking for entertainment or to scam said delusionals and simpletons.

Of all the retro-computing platforms out there, the Amiga is the only one where delusionals and idiots show up on a routine basis and discuss how they can get the platform to rise from the ashes.

It's great entertainment but sad when I see good people being scammed.

Rob 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 0:34:08
#190 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

People are complaining about how the money will be spent and how it might not benefit their wims and wants without stopping to think that there might not be enough subs to make the website itself viable.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 1:39:38
#191 ]

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

It's great entertainment but sad when I see good people being scammed.

I'd say,
friend ferrels,
that it's sad / but great entertainment.

I "was here" long before I was here,
and I have been chuckling over and over again for years.

OH THE MIRTH WE HAVE AHEAD OF US,
thank you mr. Pleasance,
thank you so much in advance.

/m!

ferrels 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 5:15:24
#192 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

What I find most amusing about all of this is the fact that there are those who claim to be educated adults who say they're sending money to support this effort! Honestly, the video was pathetic with nothing more offered than, "I'll send you some download links to Amiga related stuff if you send me £30 annually". I've seen better sales pitches from kids running lemonade stands and at least they provided something tangible. I also laughed out loud when David said his Global Alliance was going to be even more popular than the football clubs! If I had been drinking coffee I would have spewed it all over my monitor!

He must have meant Canadian football as it's nearly as dead as his Global Alliance.

Last edited by ferrels on 13-Sep-2022 at 05:16 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 6:01:57
#193 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
What I find most amusing about all of this is the fact that there are those who claim to be educated adults who say they're sending money to support this effort! Honestly, the video was pathetic with nothing more offered than, "I'll send you some download links to Amiga related stuff if you send me £30 annually

ALAS, friend ferrels,
it seems we now live in an alternate reality where this is the norm.

Where cult of personality is the norm.

Except, there's no personality to this particular jester.
He had a decent run at Commodore, onto which he seems to have oh so luckily stumbled,
did nothing afterwards,
doesn't seem to have done much before that.

/m

ferrels 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 6:34:17
#194 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

I think you're onto something. Reason and facts have no place here, at least to the zealots who continue to show up here saying they have the solution(s) for resurrecting 35 year old technology so that even lowly consumers will want to buy it (again).

This place is even better than a late night soap opera....we have a tractor rim/tire salesman passing himself off as a hardware and software engineer, guys who wrote 4KB of obscure Amiga code in 1985 passing themselves off as OS designers and a cult of simpletons who lap it up like kittens around a bowl of milk!

And the kittens are such slow learners....the charlatans have had 35 years to resurrect their precious Amiga yet still haven't succeeded. That's also the definition of crazy, doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome. If I didn't know better, I'd think the charlatans as well as the kittens were making their posts from within care facilities for the mentally retarded and/or mentally insane. Unfortunately they're loose in the public and have the right to vote as well.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 9:56:22
#195 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

20% are for administration?

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 10:03:35
#196 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I do not see the sense of investing lots of money in a kind of marketing as long there is nothing competitive to sell. 68k market may make most sense currently because people outside remember (if they know amiga at all) playing games on A500.

What people here call "NG" is not competitive at the moment and runs on used macs or overprized hardware. Marketing this will only make people doing fun about it. In any case there is modern software missing compared to mainstream platforms (and people will compare it with mainstream platforms).

At the moment i see no sense in it.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 10:11:15
#197 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

I really cannot see how common marketing platform would really make a difference (besides that there happened too many scams in the past so there is not much trust left).

In my view you would need a common strategy, common and competitive products, competitive in todays terms. 68k with its products is perhaps most interesting because there are new products and people perhaps remember playing with A500. "NG" is not competitive in todays terms, OS misses lots of what is now standard and modern software missing if you compare it to mainstream (and people will do that whatever people here think or say). First innovative products and then marketing (not the other way round). And why another new website (certainly done for lots of money). I do not see the sense expect spending money.

In short: I am not interested. I will support developers directly where appropriate if they do something I like and not give money in a big fund with no control what will be done with it.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Sep-2022 at 10:13 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 16:52:41
#198 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I watched video 3 times, trying to make sense of all the bla, bla, bla…
if you can make sense of it let me know

To me it sounds like he is making it up on the spot, it does not sound like a plan, and I believe if someone truly believed in this, create site first, then ask for money, server fee on google is free for lowest end server. (They have more server capacity then they have customers.), so this not that expensive to setup, sure cost if you have pay someone to make site.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Sep-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Sep-2022 at 04:53 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 19:28:02
#199 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

I think you're onto something. Reason and facts have no place here, at least to the zealots who continue to show up here saying they have the solution(s) for resurrecting 35 year old technology so that even lowly consumers will want to buy it (again).

This place is even better than a late night soap opera....we have a tractor rim/tire salesman passing himself off as a hardware and software engineer, guys who wrote 4KB of obscure Amiga code in 1985 passing themselves off as OS designers and a cult of simpletons who lap it up like kittens around a bowl of milk!

And the kittens are such slow learners....the charlatans have had 35 years to resurrect their precious Amiga yet still haven't succeeded. That's also the definition of crazy, doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome. If I didn't know better, I'd think the charlatans as well as the kittens were making their posts from within care facilities for the mentally retarded and/or mentally insane. Unfortunately they're loose in the public and have the right to vote as well.

I for once don't who you both are, but those one the video at least have a past, have a face, they have a name. You may not agree with what they are doing but scam? At least they aren't annoying af spamming each thread each 18th post...

Rob 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 19:54:01
#200 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
create site first, then ask for money

I don't think he's asking for money ahead a site being created.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle