Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6044 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
Home
Features
News
Forums
Classifieds
Links
Downloads
Extras
OS4 Zone
IRC Network
AmigaWorld Radio
Newsfeed
Top Members
Amiga Dealers
Information
About Us
FAQs
Advertise
Polls
Terms of Service
Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
47 crawler(s) on-line.
 9 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.



You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 austgarden1:  5 mins ago
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 DiskDoctor:  33 mins ago
 michalsc:  33 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 CygnusEd:  58 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  RadeonHD driver confusion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 6-Oct-2022 12:58:39
#41 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 5-Jun-2005
Posts: 3918
From: Unknown

@PixelHi

Many Radeon R7 240 and R7 250 cards wont work with the Sam460ex currently so it can be trial and error.

I am using a RadeonHD 8570 for testing.
As of this morning with a updated beta version of the RadeonHD V5 driver it is working very well .
Compositing gui prefs and Interrupts .
Warp3DNova and accelerated video up to to 720p .
Both DVPlayer and Emotion.

RadonHD 8570 model

Using a DP to DVI cable.

_________________
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
PixelHi 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 6-Oct-2022 14:07:07
#42 ]
Member
Joined: 23-Aug-2022
Posts: 37
From: Unknown

@Spectre660

Great thank you for suggestion. I have some Radeon 5450 and 4xxx and something else lying around on my pile of useless hardware😁. If none will work I will get 8570, on ebay those quite cheap.

Thank you!

I think I will create new thread.. Sam460 most optimal hardware selection 🙄

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 7-Oct-2022 15:54:43
#43 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 6-May-2007
Posts: 10935
From: Greensborough, Australia

@Hans

Quote:
I think I mixed up your comment and billt's, who did seem to ask about the RadeonRX driver.


Ah ok. Yes he did. He was asking what Rx meant and if it related to RX. So in any case it is relevant. Unfortunately, as I found, both Rx and RX terms are used in OS4 Radeon driver info as well Radeon GPU info.

Quote:
It doesn't go full-screen, because WipeOut is hard-coded for a big-endian 16-bit screen which aren't available on newer graphics cards.


Okay. So how is it rendered into a window? Does it need the Workbench screen to be RGB16BE?

If not, when that mode doesn't exist, how is it rendered into a window on a framebuffer of different format? And can this or some kind of compositing or conversion be performed to render it on a foreign screen? With scaling if needed.

Last edited by Hypex on 07-Oct-2022 at 04:00 PM.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 8-Oct-2022 14:04:52
#44 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 27-Dec-2003
Posts: 5008
From: New Zealand

@Hypex

Quote:
Okay. So how is it rendered into a window? Does it need the Workbench screen to be RGB16BE?

If not, when that mode doesn't exist, how is it rendered into a window on a framebuffer of different format? And can this or some kind of compositing or conversion be performed to render it on a foreign screen? With scaling if needed.

The Workbench screen can be 16 or 32-bit. I don't know exactly what it does, but it's most likely rendering to a 16-bit back-buffer, which is then copied into the window. The GPU handles the conversion.

Yes, the same conversion during copy to the screen could theoretically work for full-screen, but it might not be needed. It could be as easy as patching the binary to look for a 16-bit little-endian mode instead of big-endian. If the game's intro copies 16-bit bitmaps directly to the screen, then those would be messed up (I've seen that done before). However, the game itself would work just fine.

_________________
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - More of my work.

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: RadeonHD driver confusion
Posted on 10-Oct-2022 12:12:33
#45 ]
Elite Member
Joined: 6-May-2007
Posts: 10935
From: Greensborough, Australia

@Hans

Quote:
The Workbench screen can be 16 or 32-bit. I don't know exactly what it does, but it's most likely rendering to a 16-bit back-buffer, which is then copied into the window. The GPU handles the conversion.


Okay, that makes sense, since the 3d needs to be rendered. Unlike copper lists that can render live.

Quote:
Yes, the same conversion during copy to the screen could theoretically work for full-screen, but it might not be needed. It could be as easy as patching the binary to look for a 16-bit little-endian mode instead of big-endian. If the game's intro copies 16-bit bitmaps directly to the screen, then those would be messed up (I've seen that done before). However, the game itself would work just fine.


Patching seems a bit hacky. But if the source is unavailable I can see why. Good to know is how it copies the bitmaps, directly or using Warp3d or OS. In any case something would need to intervene and convert it. Be easier even if a virtual big endian mode could exist that did it when prompted.

The P96 FakeNative modes did something similar for planar to conversion,

 Status: Offline
Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle