Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 fordprefect:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 redfox:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Can you install AmigaOS 3.2 direct from the CD-Rom?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Jose 
Re: Can you install AmigaOS 3.2 direct from the CD-Rom?
Posted on 10-Dec-2022 2:50:14
#21 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

The worse part is how they put the key on a sticker in some plastic that is disposable after you open it. I through it away and later had to literally search in the garbage to find it, a comical scene not all would be willing to do... Luckily I did find it!! But if I hadn't found out about the key placement almost by accident it would be lost forever...
Have they changed the placement of the sticker ? Maybe that's up to the vendor that sells it too, to be fair, I can't remember the details cause my A4000 is waiting for repair for ages so I'm not using it at all...

José

Profile     Report this post  
redfox 
Posted on 10-Dec-2022 4:54:28
#22 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I never had OS3.9 or TurboPrint so I don't know.

However, the following 68K programs do work fine:
Appetizer/Write
Appetizer/Paint
Brilliance
Final Writer 97
Cloanto Personal Paint version 7.1 also known as PPaint
Amiga Basic
AmigaVision Authoring System
Microfiche Filer
MaxiPlan 500

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 11-Dec-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 10-Dec-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Dec-2022 13:07:42
#23 ]
Elite Member

@All

It seems even more strange what I am reading here. The CDROM set up with correct device and unit. But if that wasn't setup the CD wouldn't even mount in the first place so how does this matter?

Like anything it should be using the volume name to look for it.

Does it actually look for a CDROM device? A CD0 device? It sounds like a very strange installer.

All that should be needed is to double click an install icon and it figures out the rest. But it doesn't seem so simple. Not by reading this thread.

Tpod 
Posted on 12-Dec-2022 1:41:28
#24 ]

@Hypex

If you reread the first paragraph of my post (#17) you will hopefully see that it works exactly as (I think) you correctly say it should work … i.e. if you are putting the disk into an Amiga with OS 3.1, 3.5 or 3.9 that has a fully working CD-ROM the OS3.2 disk appears like every other disk & if you click on where it tells you to it installs!

If you read the last sentence of post #17 I'm sure you understand why I mentioned the mount file. On all Amiga OS's through to 3.9 (& now 3.2) you always need to make sure you give the system both the correct device name & unit number before any CD disks will show up, when you put them in the drive! You can use a boot floppy for this if OS 3.1 or above isn't already installed.

The bit that potentially could be confusing is that the disk enables you to install it buy copying it's contents elsewhere, e.g. I guess on a PC that's networked to your Amiga or use Winuae to copy to a Zip disk or perhaps another Amiga bootable drive or converting the adf disks provided back to real floppies & installing that way. A lot of people don't have CD drives attached to their Amiga so all these options are very helpful .

If your surprised it doesn't work like any modern (as in made in the last 20 odd years) PC & automatically see the CD-ROM on power on (without using a boot floppy) & then boot from it if a bootable disk is in the drive, the simple answer why, is that it's a 29-37 year old computer. I know the Kickstart space is extremely limited so it may not be realistic to add that feature, but it may not just be about space.

Hope this clarifies for yourself & anyone else who is a bit baffled.

Steady 
Posted on 12-Dec-2022 3:21:11
#25 ]

@BigD

You open the install drawer and then double-click the 'StartHere' icon.

A requester opens up telling you what to do next, but basically you open the mounted Install_3.2 adf, open the Install folder and then launch the installer in the usual way by clicking on the icon for your language.

Things are normal from here and the adf files will be mounted/unmounted as needed.

BigD 
Posted on 12-Dec-2022 10:09:09
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Steady

Sold! Thanks for the advice.

royleith 
Posted on 27-Apr-2023 17:17:34
#27 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

I am currently in a gotcha. I replaced the 3.1 ROMs with the 3.2 replacements. I wondered if the new OS would boot from the CDROM, but it does not. I can't even get the boot device selection screen. Neither the Amiga mouse emulator nor the Amiga keyboard emulator seem to be working although they should not require alternative software drivers.

However, the 3.2 Insert Floppy Disk startup screen appears correctly and so all appears OK from that point of view.

I cannot boot any of my old floppies including the OS3.9 Install that used to call up the CDROM.

Does this mean that I have to reinstall the old 3.1 ROMs, dig out the old keyboard and mouse, boot into Workbench, install the adf to floppy program, generate the OS3.2 Install floppy, then reinstall the OS3.2 ROMs, boot the OS3.2 Installation floppy and click on the OS3.2 CDROM installation icon?

BigD 
Posted on 27-Apr-2023 18:11:19
#28 ]
Elite Member

@royleith

It works on a bootable device like 1230scsi.device but not on the SquirrelSCSI. I also left the CD-Rom in the drive but just used the CD to provide the extra libs for the 3.2.1 Roms while it booted into 3.0! Worked great!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle