Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1,  Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  2 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 mins ago
 amigang:  7 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  52 mins ago
 Rob:  59 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Poll] AmiDevBox Developer Programme
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Poll : Do you think AmiDevBox is a good idea?
Yes, and I will support it financially.
Yes, but I am unable to support it financially.
Yes, and I am interested in developing.
Its got potential
No. I do not think this is a good idea.

PosterThread
Bobsonsirjonny 
Re: [Poll] AmiDevBox Developer Programme
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 0:15:21
#21 ]
Elite Member

@DaveP

Ok I will register an account with GuestMap - we can then see about getting this ball rolling

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 0:16:26
# ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

If you want free hosting and glue logic coding for a database let me know, you can do the CSS and graphics tho.

Dave.

Report this post  
Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 0:48:26
#23 ]
Elite Member

@DaveP

Lol - you beat me to it.

Ive made two guestmaps, and am making a page. GuestMap has the code I need to cut and paste in. I'm keeping it as simple as possible so it works in Amiga browsers

Cheers dude

Rob.

tomazkid 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 0:54:35
#24 ]
Team Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:

1 to North America
1 to Europe
1 to Asia
1 to Australia
1 to Africa

None to South America?

Or Antarctis?

At least there is a A1 owner in South america, dunno about Antartis though

The idea is good though

Ami603 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 0:57:56
#25 ]
Cult Member

@All:

here it goes my own idea on how it could be done:

1-.One guy does have a machine capable of running OS4.
2-.He does have a small spare hardisk.
3-.He then plugs his small spare hardisk and installs a basic OS4+SDK install on it, then left some FFS2 partitions ready to format&use.
4-.He installs VNC on this small setup.
5-.He boots from it while sleeps,and tell some devs the data they need to connect.
6-.Each Dev at different timezones can use the machine, store his own work on his own hardisk,and use only the compiler and other tools to compile/test, or he can even setup one of the ready to use partitions using FFS2 encryption plugin to keep his work from being accessed/deleted by other people.

Discuss

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 1:19:49
#26 ]

@Ami603

Errr... This is exacly what I said. Except instead of having to buy yet another hard disk, just partition your drive and boot into different partitions. I assume there's a bootloader on the A1.

I guess, there's a limit on how many partitions are bootable, which could completely screw up my idea. But how many devs do you realistically want on your machine? 3 perhaps?

How much space would you need for an OS4 install, VNC, the SDK and essential apps to do with developing?

Why can't each developer have a partition to play with.

Ok. Scampering back to my happy place now.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 2:32:24
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Ok, I have set up two guest maps - one for developers, and one for testers, and made a site. This will be uploaded tommorow.

aldur 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 10:24:14
#28 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@aldur

Quote:
a web interface is much faster, allows you to edit the files quicker

I really hope you're not suggesting you edit the files through a textarea in your browser. Errr.... Maybe that's not so bad I guess, but isn't there a limit on the text size?

only on the length of time the script can run for....

aldur 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 10:41:11
#29 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@aldur

Quote:
we can use the power of Php and Apache

Ummm... Do you intend to run the webserver on your A1? Is Apache even ported?

yes I have been told that there is people running php , apache and Mysql on A4000's so as long as someone ports tha a4k version to an A1 and Mysql we are flying (if mysql doesn't work the server can use text files)

Quote:

Or do you intend to keep the website separate and you manually download and compile the code and upload the results?

No, this would take too long, I see the webserver on the A1 and the developer can request compiles from the system, once it has compiled the tester can be requested to test the code, and can make a debug report available to the developer, the developer can ask for a single fix to be tested (via a comment box) if you have a small group of testers that can be emailed with the latest program and the test comments

Quote:

You could write a program that runs on your A1 that polls your website for their latest additions, and commands, and uploading the output automatically, making the process more interactive with the developer. I think the developer should be able to issue CLI commands. Also you could potentially have several devs compiling code at the same time.

If you are concerned about their CLI commands remove the really dangerous commands from OS4. ie format. Get to know the devs and keep a log of their commands. Ban them if they do naughty things.

Having a partition you could boot up for devs would ensure that the whole process is not too dangerous for your own everyday activity.

Ok. Scampering back to my happy place now.

A SOAP server/client would be perfect for this as the deveopler on his os3.x machine can call the compile function directly and have the results returned to his own CLI also its then up to the server to say what functions you can call.

A small gui front end to this would be good,

options would be
Choose project
Add compile job
Submit to testers
Submit bug report
Get Bug report
Login/logout

this would be available to all (dev & tester) when you login to the gui it connects to a webservice and gets your roles in the project of your choice.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 13:42:07
#30 ]
Cult Member

I think you guys are approaching this the wrong way: You are constantly talking about developers, but you should be talking about applications instead.

A developer is quite useless (to us) if he doesn't own a good application that we want to be available for OS4. Additionally, if you're going to ask users to contribute money (or share their A1 or whatever), it will be way easier to get them motivated if you say "we're going to get Application X ported to OS4" instead of "contribute money, it's good for OS4".

Therefore, the first step should be to identify applications that meet the following requirements:

1. There's demand for a ppc native version
2. Porting it makes sense (i.e. something written in 68k ASM is not exactly suitable)
3. The developer is still around and willing to port it, but unwilling or unable to buy an A1

If you have compiled a list of applications that meet these requirements, you should try to gauge the demand for each of them, take the most popular ones and announce that these will be sponsored.

And I don't think that 'A1 sharing' or similar approaches will work. Amiga developers are hobbyists (sp?), they're doing it for fun. Following a strict schedule ("an A1 is available to you at Wednesday from 10 pm to 11 pm and Saturday from 4 am to 6 am") is not exactly fun.

And said developer would be new to OS4 - he might want to spend a few weeks tinkering with new APIs or the new library interfaces without doing anything really useful. Can you imagine a developer getting familiar with OS4 on Bobson's A1 while Bobson's mum is cleaning the room and Bobson comes in every five minutes asking if Amizilla is done yet?

I think the only approach that makes sense is supplying a developer with an A1 that he can keep for himself. Here's how I would do it:

1. Identify suitable applications and try to find out the "most wanted" ones (see above)
2. Approach their developers and ask them how much money they'd be willing to contribute themselve
3. Substract that amount from the total cost of the cheapest A1 + memory + HD + case
4. Go public: "We have a deal with developer X to get application Y ported. We need Z EUR, please start contributing. The OS3 version of application Y costs XY EUR. You can contribute any amount of money, contributors that payed XY EUR or more will get a free version of application Y once it is ported".

Of course there's no way to guarantee that the developer in question actually delivers something, but I guess patience and trust are needed with any approach.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 14:12:18
#31 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:

1. Identify suitable applications and try to find out the "most wanted" ones (see above)
2. Approach their developers and ask them how much money they'd be willing to contribute themselve
3. Substract that amount from the total cost of the cheapest A1 + memory + HD + case
4. Go public: "We have a deal with developer X to get application Y ported. We need Z EUR, please start contributing. The OS3 version of application Y costs XY EUR. You can contribute any amount of money, contributors that payed XY EUR or more will get a free version of application Y once it is ported".

Of course there's no way to guarantee that the developer in question actually delivers something, but I guess patience and trust are needed with any approach.

That is to all intents and purpose the original plan - but the lead time would be slower. As for popping in every 5 mins asking if Amizilla is done, that wouldn't be the case as they would have the use of my machine while I sleep. Plus there doesn't necessarilly have to be any real time interaction between parties.

A list of apps is featured on the guest map and will be compiled into one which is regulalry added to the site.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 14:28:45
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

its up

aldur 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 14:54:37
#33 ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 14:57:40
# ]

If nothing else Christian this will inventory how many developers there are left out there without access to an A1...

Report this post  
Foody 
Posted on 20-Nov-2004 16:08:40
#35 ]

@All
Ok guys here is another idea and I hope this is not a bad one. Why not create a brench all over the world where you pay per hous 3 bucks or so to use the AmigaOne computers in a store with developers so people could just use the computers to program their project. I know it is a sucky idea but still an idea.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 21-Nov-2004 0:18:09
#36 ]
Elite Member

I realise this is a little off topic, but in a thread I made on aw.net a little while ago I was informed by hyperion that there's no cros compilers, etc as yet, so to those saying you can just create the s/w on an x86 box that's apparently not the case. Well obviously you can do the coding, etc, but not compiling as yet. For OS4 specific stuff anyway, obviously there's a few methods for creating system friendly 68k (and maybe wos?) software. That aside I think this idea in some form or other could be a good idea. Anyway, Im running late (hence the skittyness(is that even a word?) of this post) , so I'd best mosey.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 21-Nov-2004 15:22:47
#37 ]
Elite Member

Ok, a new MAP has been added.

One which will allow you post that you have an A1 seperate of any dev or testing team.

http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

Rob

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2004 16:24:51
#38 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

I think you misread the comment form hyperion, I owen a cross compiler and it's made by hyperion,

they are taking about if they are going to sell a version of SDK separately from the OS,

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2004 16:29:44
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

I think you shoed ask hyperion about this, I can see how I'm going to be able to protect my OS header files / SDK to be copied or redistributed,

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2004 17:10:43
# ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

There is no need to allow your SDK or header files to be copied, merely provide the autodocs and even if you are uncomfortable about doing that then don't - just offer to build the app on behalf of someone else.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle