Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  59 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A blast back 16years
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
A blast back 16years
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 21:42:21
#1 ]

Hi all

Just watched this . 16years and the only real advancement we have is vampire . The x series of Amigaones should of happened a lot earlier. will Amiga development ever speed up. I'm not sure it will but I am very glad we still have the community and a few Devs to push it forward all be it slowly. Keep pushing guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6so9vE3oo

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
tlosm 
Re: A blast back 16years
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 22:04:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

that was a great year ... 2001 full of hope and great news. cool see the pegasos prototype.... they was spoke about jit

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Zylesea 
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 22:16:08
#3 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Tempus fugit...

Amiboy 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 8:30:38
#4 ]

@g01df1sh

Man I was 21 when that show was on..
... where has the time gone.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

miggymac 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 10:01:14
#5 ]

@g01df1sh

What a fun! Watched the full video and think i had a "déja vue" Have a look at 17:34, is this Costel Mincea (now third director at Hyperion) who said that he would prefer MorphOS over AmigaOS 4? Had a big laugh

AmigaOS 4.1 FE U1 (WinUAE on MB Pro 2016) / A1200 w. Blizz.1230IV / CV64

khayoz 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 22:59:08
#6 ]

@g01df1sh

LOVE!

@All
Gone thru a lot of NG Amigas and now landed at X5000!
And I have to say don't judge anything before you try it out,

Morphos pfff... I said till I bought an PegII, Morphos is fantastic!
Instant buy for the X5000 when it's released.

What I say is try things before judging!
Life's short and we're old!

Edit: And when I think about how scattered the Amiga community has become, Aros Morphos, Amiga OS. It's all about planting seeds for survival!

Last edited by khayoz on 07-Oct-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Beans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 23:17:08
#7 ]

@khayoz

Yes, we've gone from PCI and AGP slots to PCI-E, from 32 bit 1 GHz single core cpus to 64 bit multi-core cpus that run at 2.0 GHz or higher.

From PC133 to DDR3.

Radeon 9200 (or maybe a Radeon 9800) up to as High as a Radeon R9 270.

So there have been improvements.

Now we need SMP, 32 or 64 bit addressability, and possibly even better video card support.
I'd like to see the AMD GCN cards after Gen1 adopted, something like the RX 560 would be cool, and they are cheap.

And the latest comments I've heard about improvements to MorphOS 3.10 especially in relation the X5000 are encouraging.

That was a cool video btw. Good quality voice over work. and its neat to see how further along bPlan was than Hyperion and the AmigaOne. OS software and new hardware on display.
And even back then, people more worried about naming/trademark issues than getting good hardware and software solutions soon.

Pity Hauge & Partners Amithlon and Amiga XL projects got dropped. The QNX based Amiga XL looks really promising. Considering the continued development of this OS, an update Amiga XL on faster platforms would be scary.

Last edited by Beans on 07-Oct-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Last edited by Beans on 07-Oct-2017 at 11:19 PM.

khayoz 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 23:26:16
#8 ]

@Beans

Kool! Im so happy that I bought this computer and it's my main computer since December 2016.

Morphos will bring another dimension to it! ;)

Linux? Naahhh!

Beans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 23:35:27
#9 ]

@khayoz

If the e5500 or e6500 cores had VMX instructions, I could see continuing to follow the current 64 bit Linux path.
I'm fairly sure these 64 bit cores support little endian addressing, but without these new instructions that IBM is using as a replacement for AltiVec, they still wouldn't be compatible with the newly forked 64 bit little endian Linux derivatives.

khayoz 
Posted on 8-Oct-2017 0:28:23
#10 ]

@Beans

Im beyond the heydays of graphics and mips & mflops.

To have a computer with a super responsive OS that you can configure and have full control over to whatever you like is my dream, and Im living my dream.

Last edited by khayoz on 08-Oct-2017 at 12:48 AM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 8-Oct-2017 1:04:13
#11 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@g01df1sh

Tempus fugit...

Love that song..............

klx300r 
Posted on 8-Oct-2017 3:16:28
#12 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

thanks for posting !

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2017 14:33:33
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

Quote:
Pity Hauge & Partners Amithlon and Amiga XL projects got dropped. The QNX based Amiga XL looks really promising. Considering the continued development of this OS, an update Amiga XL on faster platforms would be scary.

Like the Amiga scene today there were politics and jerk offs using other peoples developments to futher their own agenda and cash in. But things like Amithlon weren't really developing the OS any futher. They were glorified AmigaOS emulators. Stuck as AmigaOS3.9. All they could offer is native x86 PD software. Sure all of Workbench could have eventually been replaced by PD software that did the same thing like with AROS. And leave a skeleton 68K core. But that isn't exactly future proofing the OS.

Mind you, OS4 is stuck on rare expensive hardware, so that isn't exactly a better situation. Sure the OS is developed. But a selection of OS3.9 features had to be back ported to an OS3.1 code base to form OS4 as we have today.

I still recall when Amithlon came out. It managed to beat OS4 to market. A self fulfilling prophecy from the creator. Then everyone I knew it seemed who had been waiting for OS4 suddenly wanted to abandon it and said OS4 should be scrapped and replaced by Amithlon. So Amithlon can be OS4. I wasn't a PC guy but I saw where they were coming from. But I also disagreed, as Amithlon was, as I said, an AmigaOS emulator. And the OS would have been left at OS3.9. And even if it was worked on more, then a 68K OS stuck running in an emulator wasn't exactly a sustaining plan for the future. Perhaps a bridge it could have been but it wasn't built.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 21:52:24
#14 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Amiboy

>where has the time gone.

Sorry, I needed to borrow some for my own nefarious purposes. I should be able to give some of it back to you in a century or two.

My apologies.

Google Translate

BigD 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 22:31:21
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Wow It's like you're right back there man!!!

I agree with everything you said bit since that time I've kinda just stuck with OS3.9 so maybe Amithlon would have been a step forward for me personally! Maybe it was like the Mac's Classic environment (to allow the running of OS9 and legacy software ) being built and shipped (on Windows) before OSX (Intel) was shipped (assuming that Mac PPC didn't happen either)! Maybe AmigaOS4 ported from the 'get go' on x86 with Amithlon bolted on COULD have been a better future? Somehow the level of coordination that would have taken would have been beyond Hyperion, Amiga Inc or Hague and Partner at that time (even if they HAD wanted to work together ).

P.S. Do you ever think that if the PPC line of CPUs had never existed the world wouldn't have been that much the poorer for it? I know it's a weird thing to say but like the Amiga itself the world is evolving to a point where it's influence and cultural/technological significance is being eclipsed!! I know it was important to desktops once and still is important to the automotive industry and military but it doesn't do much ARM or Intel can't do anymore

Beans 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 0:24:41
#16 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Do you ever think that if the PPC line of CPUs had never existed the world wouldn't have been that much the poorer for it?

Well, RISC in general has been an interesting concept. People will point to CISC as offering more code density and the apparent dominance of CISC, but under many CISC cpus is an RISC engine.

And I rather liked the idea of moving from the 68000 to something other than an X86 derived cpu, because when those two were originally in direct competition, Intel frankly sucked.

paolone 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 7:40:50
#17 ]

@g01df1sh

I'd say the amiga platform advanced - slowly but steadily - in different directions. For the classic line you're right, the only real step further is represented by Vampire cards, but in the OS arena the 'third contender' went serious with fully supported PC hardware, AmigaOS 4.0 and 4.1 were completed and also MorphOS advanced quite surprisingly. On the other way, our userbase shrinked a lot and, in my opinion, we're now at the turning point where players either survive, or they stop developments, or quite near.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 8:30:35
#18 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
On the other way, our userbase shrinked a lot and, in my opinion, we're now at the turning point where players either survive, or they stop developments, or quite near.

It is a simple as,

"The day Trevor gets fed up with the platform, community or the financial strain of AmigaOne development is the day that development grinds to a halt."

We are in a precarious position and as far as A-EON is concerned I bet the Vampire couldn't have arrived at a worse time unless it was a week before the X1000 release!

BigD 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 9:50:19
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I think the issue is however great the Vampire is as a concept, it is always going to be a well.. "blood sucker" in respect to stealing Tabor or X5000 sales. The more people continue to cling to 68k 'Classic' systems (I'm guilty of that too) the less money in the pot for AmigaOne systems. It's simple economics. There comes a point when the AmigaONE platform is unviable and let's hope the Vampire 68k resurgence doesn't push the number of NG users below that point!

It's admirable that A-EON and AmigaKit are presenting a unified 'Amiga' front in regards to ALL the flavours of Amiga. However, it isn't going to help us in a few years time if extra money is going to be needed to port AmigaOS away from PPC and the profits (and hence war chest) are not there due to a lot of piranhas existing in an evaporating pond!

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 13:28:39
#20 ]

On the one hand, having so many different "Amigas" in different forms fragments the market and spreads the potential userbase thin, making continued development and support for any one particular platform more difficult.

However, there's a different side to the story. Having several different Amiga platforms increases exposure. The Linux/Open Source enthusiast might stumble upon AROS. A Mac user trying to figure out what to do with his old G4 discovers MorphOS. Someone just feels nostalgic after a few glasses of wine and wants to relive their childhood memories, so they pick up Amiga Forever. Then there's the Vampire and other classic hardware for the "purist", and the A-Eon hardware I guess for those who want to run AmigaOS on new hardware.

The real problem is probably the rivalry between the different platforms. How can a synergy effect be achieved, rather than the current "clan wars"? Would it really be out of the question for a Vampire owner to also pick up Tabor, or put together an AROS system from old PC parts etc.?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle