Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  13 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 Rob:  28 mins ago
 blmara:  54 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 48 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Re: installazione new Debian jessie
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ghillo 
Re: installazione new Debian jessie
Posted on 22-Sep-2018 13:10:48
#1 ]

Hello everyone, I tried to install the new Debian Jessie with the installation CD for AmigaOne XE that has just been available.
I did everything (or at least it seems to me that I do not know English and I had trouble understanding the installation manual), and it seems to have been successful.
I created a bootable 100Mb bootable LNX boot partition after the AmigaOs partitions
A 20Gb Root partition and a swap partition, I formatted them with the Debian installer and completed the installation using the corresponding CD.
After all the reboot you see the other two options to choose the SLB in addition to AmigaOS4.1 Final two other Debian Jessie, but once selected UBoot gives me the following error.
BOOT IMAGE AT 00500000 ...
BAD MAGIC NUMBER
FAILED LOADING KERNEL (OR KICKSTART) IMAGE FILE

seems in short that you can not find the boot partition. So from the installation CD I chose the recovery mode and went to see in the created partitions if there is something inside, and everything seems fine.
I installed it on an HD SATA through the SIL 3112, from UBoot I tried to issue the command diskboot 500000 0: 4 2; bootm; But it gives me the same error. I rechecked from MediatoolBox the partitions created are only good that the boot I forgot to even check the automount in addition to specifying that it is a boot apart, saved and restarted but nothing to do.
Anyone who has ventured into this installation can give me a hand? In reading the manual among other things he mentions:
It must be a partition after your AmigaOS4 Workbench boot partition.
Maybe I have to force it not only after all the AmigaOS partitions but after the OS4 partitions? In that case I would have to reorganize all the HD seen after the OS4.1 partition I have one for the programs and then the OS4 swap one.
I also have on my computer a HD PATA 40Gb in which case it works if I reinstall everything on that HD and leave the SATA only for AmigaOS?

Profile     Report this post  
ghillo 
Posted on 28-Sep-2018 21:05:53
#2 ]

I have a doubt, the boot partition of Linux must necessarily be after OS4? Let me explain better on my HD I have as a first partition that of AmigaOS4.1 bootable, then I have one in SFS2 with the programs of OS4 and then always for Amiga that of swap.
does the Linux boot need to be after OS4 and before the one in SFS2 with the Amiga programs on?

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Oct-2018 13:38:22
#3 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

If you can see Linux boot entries then your boot partition looks to be setup fine with the boot menu. Otherwise the installer should have given an error if it found a problem. It does a lot of checks. 100MB should be fine. Does it seem to be loading any boot image when you pick Linux to boot? There should be a few moments delay as it loads.

As to being after Workbench partitions, in simple terms, that would after an Amiga bootable partition. I've always wondered if this was really needed. But since you are getting a boot menu I wouldn't worry as the SLB can see the files so your boot partition is in the right palce.

So, are both boot and root partitions on the SATA drive? If SLB can load Kickstart off SATA the SLB should work fine for the Linux image as well. Where ever you place the boot partition, it will need to be on the same drive as where the SLB is installed.

Just to be sure do another check from the rescue mode. Mount the boot partition. As well as the "boot/a1boot.conf" file there should be a folder in the root with the UUID of the root partition. This looks like a bunch numbers. Inside here there should be boot images. Do you see any in there?

ghillo 
Posted on 7-Oct-2018 19:27:01
#4 ]

@Hypex

I tried to install everything from scratch, I followed everything that the manual told me. I put the 100Mb boot partition just after the one where I installed OS4.
My HD SATA is thus partitioned:
AmigaOS boot with OS4.1 Final installed
a1boot for Linux
Programs for OS4 in SFS
Swap OS4
Linux Root
Linux Swap
The installation was successful without errors, but when I choose the lbb to boot Linux it always gives me the usual error.
A doubt the partition a1boot from mediatoolbox as well as check the boot entry, must also select automount?
I try to do the checks you tell me.
Thank you

ghillo 
Posted on 7-Oct-2018 20:43:21
#5 ]

@Hypex

From the installation CD I went into recovery mode, I opened a shell in the root partition and mounted the boot partition in / mnt.
I found a file with a lugo number of digits 5172a36a-339b-4d74-a522-538f29675a37 a directory / boot and a / lost + found.
In / boot I find the kernel images, vm-linuz system.map and an empty / a1boot directory.
I did not find the a1boot.conf file, very strange inside if I'm not mistaken there should be a text file to boot Linux.
Can I create it by hand? where should I put it and how should this text file be?

ghillo 
Posted on 7-Oct-2018 21:36:59
#6 ]

@Hypex

Sorry but I made a bit of confusion with the Linux command ls and directories, I did cd / mnt after mounting the boot volume and to see the boot content I typed / boot and I was going to see the contents in the root partition sorry.
The boot partition is the a1boot.conf file, but there is no trace of the boot kernel. all those kernel files actually have them in the root / boot directory.
Just copy the content that is in / root / boot inside boot that is in the boot partition?

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2018 14:49:13
#7 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Your partition setup looks fine.

You don't need automount set as that is for Amiga/OS4.

You can try to copy the "boot" folder in the root filesystem to the boot partition. But just be aware of the following. The boot volume is setup to be mounted at "/boot/a1boot" from the root volume. So, if it has the files, they will need to copied from the root volume at "/boot/a1boot" to the boot volume.

I can see that looks confusing. It's just that the "/boot/a1boot" folder on the root volume is used as a mount point for the boot volume. For management in upgrading the kernel and also in the installer.

You can try to reinstall the kernel from within the installer as follows:
Boot into recovery mode.
At the mounting screen once there mount these.
Mount your root drive.
Mount your boot at "/boot/a1boot" with the boot option provided.

This should have mounted your root volume at "/target" and boot volume at "/target/boot/a1boot".

Now drop to a shell.
Execute this.
/amigaone/postinstall.sh

That should have reinstalled the kernel and also boot menu. Exit the shell and select to reboot system. I'm not sure but selecting the final installer option in the menu may also trigger it, but I forgot what that is called. Hope this helps.

Geri 
Posted on 14-Oct-2018 13:28:51
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

I'm a little bit confused now regarding the content of the Linux boot partition. Can you mount it again using recovery mode and post the output of "ls -laR" after changing the current directory to the boot partition?

However my impression is that everything is setup correctly. Maybe something went wrong with the generation of the kernel boot image. In this case I would try to reinstall the kernel package, which should also trigger a regeneration of the kernel boot image. But let's see first what's really on the boot partition.

- A1 Linux support -

ghillo 
Posted on 15-Oct-2018 21:28:10
#9 ]

@Geri

Hi, I did as Hypex said and finally Linux started from SLB. Thanks a lot to everyone .
I'm trying this new version of Debian and I have noticed a certain slowness since I choose the option from SLB to boot Linux that pass even 2 or 3 minutes before the kernel image starts, then the boot is fast but there is this really long time since you choose to boot Linux that is very long, is it normal?
Another thing the management of the graphics is slow in moving the windows in fact the mouse pointer is faster than moving the window that remains late, and then I can not figure out if the HD I'm using it in dma fact the uploads are not fast.
I tried to see the a1boot.conf file in the Root volume and I noticed these two entries:
video = radeonfb: off
libata.dma = 0
I state that I am using Linux on my A1G3XE with a HD SATA on Sil3112 and as a graphics card a Radeon9250.
If I change those two parameters with on and 1 risk of compromising Linux? Which parameters should I change both in the Root volume and in the boot volume?

Geri 
Posted on 17-Oct-2018 14:09:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:
ghillo wrote:
@Geri

Hi, I did as Hypex said and finally Linux started from SLB. Thanks a lot to everyone .

Good to hear!

Quote:
I'm trying this new version of Debian and I have noticed a certain slowness since I choose the option from SLB to boot Linux that pass even 2 or 3 minutes before the kernel image starts, then the boot is fast but there is this really long time since you choose to boot Linux that is very long, is it normal?

Unfortunately this is normal, because U-Boot only loads the image in slow PIO mode and because the image is not compressed (U-Boot can only decompress images below a certain size and the kernel has exceeded that since a long time).

Quote:
Another thing the management of the graphics is slow in moving the windows in fact the mouse pointer is faster than moving the window that remains late, and then I can not figure out if the HD I'm using it in dma fact the uploads are not fast.

Graphics will remain slow, as we don't have hardware graphics acceleration under Linux on the first-gen AmigaOnes. Which desktop environment did you install?

Quote:
I tried to see the a1boot.conf file in the Root volume and I noticed these two entries:
video = radeonfb: off
libata.dma = 0
I state that I am using Linux on my A1G3XE with a HD SATA on Sil3112 and as a graphics card a Radeon9250.
If I change those two parameters with on and 1 risk of compromising Linux? Which parameters should I change both in the Root volume and in the boot volume?

The "video" parameter needs to stay as it is, as it only deactivates the old radeonfb driver, which IIRC is not supported anymore by the X server. Otherwise the radeon DRM driver is not loading and you would get no desktop GUI at all.

However you can enable DMA for your SATA devices. The right way to do this, is to first edit the /etc/default/amigaos4-slb config file. One line in this file should specify the libata.dma=0 parameter. Usually you can just comment out the whole line and run "update-amigaos4-slb -u" as root to update the a1boot.conf bootloader config file.

In case you experience problems with DMA it may help to specify sata_sil.slow_down=1 as additional kernel parameter, which limits the transfer size of every access.

- A1 Linux support -

ghillo 
Posted on 18-Oct-2018 20:19:43
#11 ]

@Geri

Thanks for the info. So if I did not understand correctly regarding the DMA I have to modify the configuration file / etc / default / amigaos4-slb in the root partition.
I have to comment on the libata.dma = 0 line so that this option is not used, then from the root user run update-amigaos4-slb -u, which updates the a1boot.conf configuration file.
In addition it may be useful to add the sata_sil.slow_down = 1 line in a1boot.conf. I wonder, but the modification of a1boot.conf I have to do both in the boot partition and in the root ?

Geri 
Posted on 19-Oct-2018 8:31:08
#12 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:
ghillo wrote:
@Geri

Thanks for the info. So if I did not understand correctly regarding the DMA I have to modify the configuration file / etc / default / amigaos4-slb in the root partition.

If you take a look at the /boot/a1boot/boot/a1boot.conf file (the real bootloader config file) you should see a note written in capital letters in the first line that says that this file should not be modified manually, because it is autogenerated.
The file is generated by the update-amigaos4-slb script mentioned before and the reason for this is that the update-amigaos4-slb script hooks into the installation scripts of Debian kernel packages so that you automatically get a new boot entry, whenever a new (with a different version number) kernel package is installed.

Quote:
I have to comment on the libata.dma = 0 line so that this option is not used, then from the root user run update-amigaos4-slb -u, which updates the a1boot.conf configuration file.

Right. The amigaos4-slb file is parsed by the update-amigaos4-slb script and the fact that it is a simple shell script also allows easier customization than the pure a1boot.conf file.

Quote:
In addition it may be useful to add the sata_sil.slow_down = 1 line in a1boot.conf. I wonder, but the modification of a1boot.conf I have to do both in the boot partition and in the root ?

For a kernel module parameter like this (sata_sil is the module name), there are two options:

1. Specify it as kernel boot parameter:
In this case you add the option to the /etc/default/amigaos4-slb file somewhere after line 13 like this:

Quote:
# Limit Silicon Image 3112 SATA controller transfer size.
SLB_CMDLINE_LINUX="${SLB_CMDLINE_LINUX} sata_sil.slow_down=1"

After a run of "update-amigaos4-slb -u" this should also show up in the /boot/a1boot/boot/a1boot.conf file.

2. Specify it as kernel module parameter in a modprobe config file: (my prefered one)
In the /etc/modprobe.d/ folder you should find some *.conf files. These files are parsed by the modprobe command, which is used to load new kernel modules. Since the driver for the sii3112 controller is compiled as a module, you could also create a new modprobe config file or edit an existing file in this folder to force the slow_down parameter. IIRC there should be a local.conf file, where you could add the following line:

Quote:
options sata_sil slow_down=1

After this you need to run the following command, which will update the initramfs image and the final boot image so that the parameter can take effect on boot:

Quote:
update-initramfs -k all -u

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 11:13:06
#13 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:

A delay like this you are describing is not normal. At least not when compared to my IDE controller. The boot image would be under 14MB and should take no more than ten seconds to load in and about 5 to unpack.

How long is the loading time from disk? And subsequent unpacking time? Then after it unpacks is there another delay before the action begins?

Quote:

As Geri stated this is due to lack of hardware acceleration. It's disabled by the installer. It can in fact work and works smoothly but is unstable and you are very lucky if you get three minutes out of the desktop before it freezes. The average being a few seconds. It's due to lack of cache coherency. If all DMA could be disabled during the entire blitting process I think it would be fine. But it's a sensitive issue and so far no solution has been found.

However you can speed up window dragging. I recall I wanted to do this in the installer but I may not have got the setting in there. I can't boot my system to test (my A1/XE is currently out of service) but there was a setting for the window manager. Try and see if you can find some setting to disable opaque move and instead use display a frame. I tried to Google but didn't find it.

ghillo 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 12:17:07
#14 ]

@Hypex

Thanks for the information, as I said before the time before the writing on uboot comes out that the kernel image has been loaded and then decompressed is really high. I have not measured it with a stopwatch but surely at least two minutes after I have chosen the Linux option from the SLB there are all and actually even being in PIO mode it seems excessive.

ghillo 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 12:24:55
#15 ]

@Geri

I tried to comment only on the line with libatadma = 0, and after updating the a1boot.conf and restarted the system after the first lines of messages that provides Linux at boot everything crashes, then from the installation CD I recovered the old a1boot.conf, which fortunately had created a backup of the a1boot.conf.bak file.
I'll try again as soon as I have time to insert the sata_sil.slow_down = 1 line in addition to the comment on libatadma = 0 as you described before.
I have a doubt about my system I have not only the HD sata but also an HD PATA with data on OS4.1 and one in ext3 where I record the video captured with the camera plus a CD burner and a DVD all on PATA.
Is not that maybe you plant when you recognize the other PATA devices? In fact, from installation I had to disable all the DMAs otherwise the installer was stuck when loading from CD.

ghillo 
Posted on 21-Oct-2018 19:20:27
#16 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@ghillo

[quote]
A delay like this you are describing is not normal. At least not when compared to my IDE controller. The boot image would be under 14MB and should take no more than ten seconds to load in and about 5 to unpack.

How long is the loading time from disk? And subsequent unpacking time? Then after it unpacks is there another delay before the action begins?

Once the A1 is turned on and the various ATA and SATA devices are checked, the SLB menu appears with the choice of the OS to be started. Once selected, Linux will display the message that starts the kernel, after which there is this long wait, then appears the wording of the loaded kernel and that is unpacked in ram to finish starts immediately after the screen with the various messages of Linux that you are starting.
Ho provato a vedere cosa c'è nella partizione di boot ed è così composta:
Un nome lunghissimo di un file 617a36-339b................
/lost+found e /boot con al suo interno a1boot.conf e bootborder.conf
Invece nella partizione di /root in /boot c'è:
a1boot
config-3.16.0-4..............
cuImage.amigaone.elf
cuImage.amigaone.img
initrd.img
system.map-3.........
vmlinux-3.16.0-4

Ma le immagini del kernel non dovrebbero essere nella partizione di boot?
Non dovrebbero esserci anche i moduli del kernel (mi ricordo che c'erano nelle versioni precedenti che avevo installato sul mio A1)?

Geri 
Posted on 22-Oct-2018 20:49:05
#17 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:
ghillo wrote:
I have not measured it with a stopwatch but surely at least two minutes after I have chosen the Linux option from the SLB there are all and actually even being in PIO mode it seems excessive.

Okay, U-Boot is slow loading the kernel image, but 2 minutes is really long. To be honest I have no idea at the moment, what could cause this long delay.

Quote:
ghillo wrote:
@Geri

I tried to comment only on the line with libatadma = 0, and after updating the a1boot.conf and restarted the system after the first lines of messages that provides Linux at boot everything crashes, then from the installation CD I recovered the old a1boot.conf, which fortunately had created a backup of the a1boot.conf.bak file.

Yes, the update-amigaos4-slb script always saves a backup of the file.

Quote:
I'll try again as soon as I have time to insert the sata_sil.slow_down = 1 line in addition to the comment on libatadma = 0 as you described before.
I have a doubt about my system I have not only the HD sata but also an HD PATA with data on OS4.1 and one in ext3 where I record the video captured with the camera plus a CD burner and a DVD all on PATA.
Is not that maybe you plant when you recognize the other PATA devices? In fact, from installation I had to disable all the DMAs otherwise the installer was stuck when loading from CD.

So are you using a SATA controller and the onboard PATA controller? Does your A1XE have the DMA fix?

Last edited by Geri on 22-Oct-2018 at 08:51 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

ghillo 
Posted on 22-Oct-2018 21:05:03
#18 ]

@Geri

Anch'io non riesco a capire questo ritardo così lungo per il caricamento dell'immagine del kernel ,forse potrebbe essere un problema nella gestione del SATA? Oppure qualche parametro di UBoot?
Poi si sto utilizzando sia il PATA integrato che la Sil3112 .
Sul PATA ho 2 HD , 1 masterizzatore CD e 1 masterizzatore DVD.
Sul SATA 1 HD 320Gb con installato OS4.1 e Linux.
Il mio A1g3XE e stato Fixato con correzione DMA e USB.

ghillo 
Posted on 22-Oct-2018 21:05:58
#19 ]

@Geri

Sorry

I also can not understand this delay so long to load the kernel image, maybe it could be a problem in the management of SATA? Or some parameter of UBoot?
Then I'm using both the integrated PATA and the Sil3112.
On the PATA I have 2 HD, 1 CD burner and 1 DVD burner.
On SATA 1 HD 320Gb with OS4.1 and Linux installed.
My A1g3XE has been fixed with DMA and USB correction.

Geri 
Posted on 22-Oct-2018 21:07:49
#20 ]
Elite Member

@ghillo

Quote:
ghillo wrote:
Ho provato a vedere cosa c'è nella partizione di boot ed è così composta:
Un nome lunghissimo di un file 617a36-339b................
/lost+found e /boot con al suo interno a1boot.conf e bootborder.conf

I'm not sure if Hypex understands Italian, but let's see if I remember some of the Italian I learned at school.

Anyway, the file with the long name should actually be a folder, which is named after the "unique universal identifier" (UUID) of the root filesystem. It contains the actual boot image (boot.img*) and a another a1boot.conf file (on systems with multiple Linux installations all these a1boot.conf files in the subfolders are concatenated together to the global a1boot.conf file).

Quote:
Invece nella partizione di /root in /boot c'è:
a1boot
config-3.16.0-4..............
cuImage.amigaone.elf
cuImage.amigaone.img
initrd.img
system.map-3.........
vmlinux-3.16.0-4

Ma le immagini del kernel non dovrebbero essere nella partizione di boot?
Non dovrebbero esserci anche i moduli del kernel (mi ricordo che c'erano nelle versioni precedenti che avevo installato sul mio A1)?

Th actual boot image is on the boot partition (as mentioned above) that is mounted under the a1boot folder. The files in /boot folder of the root partition are just used to build the final boot image. So everything is in place here.

The kernel modules are stored under /lib/modules/(kernel version). The modules that are needed before the actual root partition is mounted are included in the initramfs image (initrd.img), which is part of the final boot image. You can take a look at the content of the initramfs image with this command:

Quote:
$ lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img*

- A1 Linux support -

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle