Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 75 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  3 mins ago
 mbrantley:  11 mins ago
 Tpod:  16 mins ago
 michalsc:  45 mins ago
 number6:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Djk83:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Checkmate A1500 Kickstarter in risk of failing, needs YOUR support!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Petah 
Checkmate A1500 Kickstarter in risk of failing, needs YOUR support!
Posted on 22-Sep-2018 17:12:01
#1 ]

As most AmigaWorld.net regulars know by now, Stephen Jones is currently running a Kickstarter aiming to raise 77,500 GBP to fund Checkmate A1500 Plus - a brand new A3000-esque, modular computer case suitable for the upcoming Amiga Tabor and the Vampire motherboards, as well as existing A1200 and A500 motherboards. The campaign, which has been running since August, 28th, has so far managed to collect around 45,000 GBP from around 247 users. Although that's a feat all in itself, it's nowhere near the set goal - and since Kickstarter only allows an "all-or-nothing" approach, it's basically do or die for the Checkmate; Jones himself has said repeatedly that the project won't see the light of the day if the fundraiser isn't successful by the time it wraps up on Tuesday October, 2nd.

At the time of this writing, chances are the fundraiser will in fact fail. The graph above shows the trend as presented by Kicktraq's all-seeing algorithms. Clearly, the fundraiser needs to pick up its pace and attract more attention within the week. Here's where you can help out! See, the Checkmate doesn't only cater to AmigaOS users. Its modular design allows for standard Mini ITX and Raspberry Pi motherboards, too - making the case an ideal solution for ex-Amiga users now running other operating systems, like Linux and Windows. Getting the word out to those users is something everyone can help out with, especially considering quite a few of them tend to hang out on various Facebook groups and public forums not associated with the Amiga community.

Since Stephen Jones is based in the UK/EU, reaching out to non-English speaking users is next to impossible seeing it not only requires proficiency in other languages, but knowledge about where the potential users hang out, too. Take Sweclockers, for instance - home to thousands of Swedish PC builders that have no idea about the Checkmate. Likewise, there are similar forums all over the planet - but the trick is to find them, and to target them. Here's where you can make a big difference! Do the campaign and the community a huge favor and post a few posts in your native language on any place you can think of; and if you happen to be a native English speaker, than there's work for you, too - the more people that know about the campaign, the better! Provide a few (clickable) links to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/483774293/amiga-3000-inspired-modular-amiga-pc-desktop-compu.

With a surge of interest and a bit of luck, chances are the community will have a badass hardware platform to look forward to!

Last edited by Petah on 22-Sep-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OldAmigan 
Re: Checkmate A1500 Kickstarter in risk of failing, needs YOUR support!
Posted on 22-Sep-2018 23:43:38
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Petah

Added to my facebook page and donated.

Come on, guys, you could do the same even if you don't want one!

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

ASiegel 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 8:59:58
#3 ]

@OldAmigan

Quote:
Added to my facebook page and donated. Come on, guys, you could do the same even if you don't want one!

Encouraging people to share the news is perfectly fine but please do not ask that people donate even if they are not interested in ever owning this particular computer case.

There are projects that have the potential to benefit an entire community due to secondary and tertiary effects if they can be successfully funded. Big software developments that provide key functionality comes to mind. This particular project does not quite qualify, which is not meant as a critique but merely as food for thought for those who think this is deserving of donations from users who actually prefer other case form factors.

clusteruk 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 12:25:05
#4 ]

@ASiegel

I totally understand your point but here is my argument for doing this. By creating an Amiga inspired case, some of the millions of Amiga users who fled to PC's may actually enjoy having a PC that reminds them of their favourite computer, but can run all of there normal Windows and Linux software, but with the emulation layer sitting on top of it to remind them of the good old days. Now some of these may be so intrigued after running AmiKit on Amiga Forever with the Rabbit Hole function that they come back to the Amiga. On top of this, having all Amiga flavours on one unified case design range may also help to promote as a unified community image. However, do not pledge if you do not want one

Therefore there is a bigger plan than just a pretty case

Last edited by clusteruk on 23-Sep-2018 at 12:27 PM.

ne_one 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 18:27:46
#5 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

Just a thought: is it possible with this campaign to extend the duration to 60 days?

BigD 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 19:15:57
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

Bad timing is all. Launching a KickStarter campaign for the case BEFORE either the Vampire V4 stand alone OR the Tabor A1222 board are available for pre-order is a mistake. This is a great venture but marketing efforts should have been pooled to collect pre-orders for all three products with a transparent release date window for all three. It would then be favourable to launch these three products in the space of a couple of months and to actually make a splash and get people outside of the Amiga bubble interested.

It is unrealistic to expect the Amiga community alone to make up this shortfall in the KickStarter campaign in such a small space of time. Retro coverage in Retro Gamer, Rasberry Pi Magazines and heck even the BBC's Click! programme are some of the ways wider interest could have been sort in the mainstream press. In such a small space of time social media and the Amiga.org affiliated FaceBook page will now have to do the leg-work to get this back on track. I hope the total can be achieved.

Last edited by BigD on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:18 PM.

ASiegel 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 19:19:48
#7 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:
I totally understand your point but here is my argument for doing this. By creating an Amiga inspired case, some of the millions of Amiga users who fled to PC's may actually enjoy having a PC that reminds them of their favourite computer, but can run all of there normal Windows and Linux software, but with the emulation layer sitting on top of it to remind them of the good old days.

My apologies but this sounds like a stretch to me.

Stickers and virtual desktop wallpapers with the appropriate branding would be substantially more economical alternatives and likely more effective in terms of visibility / exposure. Plus, based on the images you posted, the proposed case design completely lacks the official trademark name and logo which might limit its appeal to some folks.

Quote:
Now some of these may be so intrigued after running AmiKit on Amiga Forever with the Rabbit Hole function that they come back to the Amiga.

Based on what I read on these forums, the way to attract people back would be by providing attractive and somewhat unique software choices. With the amount you are trying to raise, you could do a LOT of good in terms of software development (browser updates, office suite, etc.).

Please note that I am not saying you should cancel this effort and raise money for something else. But, given that there are other needs and clearly a limited pool of resources, I am just pointing out that OldAmigan's suggestion to donate so others can buy a case that you do not like / need yourself just seems misguided however well intentioned it may be.

Quote:
However, do not pledge if you do not want one

Great, so we do actually agree.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 19:34:01
#8 ]

@clusteruk

BigD does make some good points.
If the end date could be extended further to when the Vampire standalone and Tabor are released, I think this would generate more interest.

bison 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 22:49:28
#9 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Launching a KickStarter campaign for the case BEFORE either the Vampire V4 stand alone OR the Tabor A1222 board are available for pre-order is a mistake.

Good point; you may be right.

When the A1222 finally arrives -- if it arrives -- it would be nice if AmigaKit and/or AOTL offered the Checkmate case as a build option on complete systems. I think I would have a hard time not selecting that upgrade.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 23-Sep-2018 23:31:58
#10 ]

Good news from the KickStarter page.

Tabor A1222 from A-EON ready in time for Checkmate A1500 Plus shipping

If you are waiting for the Tabor A1222 from A-EON, please read this message from my Facebook group from Trevor Dickinson from A-EON.

Last edited by TiredofLife on 23-Sep-2018 at 11:33 PM.

number6 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 0:31:25
#11 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

direct link since the wording might be important

ne_one 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 3:00:56
#12 ]
Cult Member

@number6

I'm sure it's just the choice of words but it almost implies a dependency.

bison 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 4:49:57
#13 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Yeah, it seems that way. Is he implying that Tabor will not be ready in May if the Checkmate Kickstarter fails, or is this an incorrect inference on my part? I can't make sense of this at all.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 8:21:59
#14 ]

@ Number6

Thanks, I was doing that myself and then got distracted and never went back to it.
My bad.

@bison

Hopefully that isn't the case but I can see how it could be read that way.
I expect there will be some clarification.

Cheers

Kronos 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 9:01:57
#15 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

All Trevor is saying is that he expects Tabor to be shipping before May.

clusteruk 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 14:54:38
#16 ]

@all

On the timing, no time is ever a good time to do this, I aimed after the holiday and before XMas. Tabor and Standalone Vampire may be a nice little bump in sales, although it is yet to appear since I announced Trevor's comment but may come later. However I am not betting the farm on them to make a huge difference until maybe later.

Most people are wanting to put an A500, A1200 or A600 in with a Vampire or accelerated system, plus a lot around 20% are building a PC and running AmiKit which was always my target for a great Amiga experience and to widen the appeal of the Amiga platform again by going after those who have left.

Even if this Kickstarter fails I and 259 people so far believe in this project and I think that number will grow in the coming days.

Ultimately, if it is a success my aim is to promote the Amiga outside of the Amiga community not within it and I think we have the tools to do it, not to take over or anything stupid like that but as a nice small niche platform for those who truly think differently.

Thanks to those who are supporting me though.

Steve

Oh, and you cannot extend a Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/483774293/amiga-3000-inspired-modular-amiga-pc-desktop-compu

Last edited by clusteruk on 24-Sep-2018 at 03:01 PM.

dan.hutch 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 15:40:20
#17 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

Trevor's comment was reassuring.

I want to back but money is tight, definitely can't back two cases. Struggling to decide between the A500 version or the PC version. If I back can I decide at a later date?

Recently picked up a rather tired A500 which needs some love and attention. Like the idea of adding Zorro cards etc. However also keen on PC case for Tabor, thinking I could use an old A1200 keyboard and tank mouse with it too after seeing your recent video about the keyboard solution .

Has anyone tried a keyrah with OS 4.1? Does it work?

If it weren't for Tabor the decision would be easier, I would just go for the A500 version.

AmeegaGuy 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 17:45:32
#18 ]

Cases look nice but I thought A1222 is destined for laptop?
Update on such is due at AmiWest 2018...

outlawal2 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 18:37:02
#19 ]

@AmeegaGuy

A1222 is a mini- ITX mainboard not a laptop.. (Someone may be planning to use one and build it up into a laptop) but the board is a desktop Mini-ITX board and would be perfect in the Checkmate case..

duga 
Posted on 24-Sep-2018 18:37:02
#20 ]

Quote:

AmeegaGuy wrote:
Cases look nice but I thought A1222 is destined for laptop?

No it's not. Just a possible future option.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle