Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

_ThEcRoW

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  3 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 Gunnar:  24 mins ago
 Kremlar:  39 mins ago
 Rob:  42 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Interested in boot time of typical Radeon HD cards
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Interested in boot time of typical Radeon HD cards
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 6:12:42
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi guys.

Compared to the classics of the Radeon 7000 to 9000 series the HD series is a beast. Especially in the high end. With a view to updating my video card I'm interested in boot time as well as performance, power usage, noise and cooling needed.

I'm interested in any set up that has a Radeon HD attached, be that an AmigaOne and bridged HD, Sams, X1000 and X5000. A1222 if you can.

What I mean by boot time is how long it takes to boot or set up the card. So, just a focus on the video itself. So, how long it takes from power on/reset to seeing a visible image on screen. Perhaps we could call this the logo time.

I'll give a few examples here.

My AmigaOne XE, had a Radeon 9200SE for years, since I built it new. I turned it on and within moments UBoot was all setup and working. A good example.

My X1000 was built with an XFX HD 4890, something I managed to snap up from a UK sale online at the time, with the 4000 series and any top card being recommended. But I was in for a shock. The card is a monster. It took a whole 20 seconds of logo time. That was painful. Every time I needed to reset there was a deadness for 20 seconds before CFE showed any sign of life. And then sometimes it crashed, rinse and repeat. I never got full use out of that awesome 3d hardware.

I later tested a standard HD 5450 in my X1000. It only took 5 seconds of logo time. Wow! That makes a whole lot of difference. Wins over the 4890 in my book. LOL.

By comparison I tested a PowerMac G5 Quad. Don't recall the video card but it might have been Nvidia of similar spec to my 4890. I was shocked. The machine also took 20 seconds of logo time. The X1000 is not looking so bad.

Now, on an AmigaOne machine, it doesn't matter what whizz bang 3d hardware, bus speed or pixel giga flops what not it has. What matters is raw brute force CPU power. Because the logo time is taken up by the firmware emulating the x86 video BIOS code. Now this would be a simple interpretive emulator and without cache enabled dog slow on even the most Ghz beast.

So what matters to logo time is optimised and efficient BIOS code that doesn't need to do much setup on the hardware itself nor execute much code. The more humble the card, the faster it will setup. The more powerful, the more time it will take to setup. Inclusive of hardware efficiency.

Right now I'm researching what is supported. The latest chipset working and with 3d support is the R9 series. I would like a 3d supported card. Otherwise might as well stick with a 5450. Which, I found, has no 3d support like my 4890. But, a few years back, there was a virtual 3d hardware acceleration layer added to the Radeon drivers so what happened to that?

This was brought to my attention when I tested the new Spencer game. It only works on OS4.1 FE I found. And needs supported 3d hardware. On my AmigaOne XE it loaded up into the 3d title screen and then crashed when trying to load the game. On my X1000 it refused to load at all with a 3d error! This was before and after I updated to the latest Radeon HD drivers. Spencer is a new, reasonably priced game, but it requires the latest 3d drivers and supported hardware. Something I don't have.

Unfortunately, the R9 series is around four years old. I can't see any in local shops and only find old stiff on eBay. This is not good. I can't imagine buying a new X5000 and being forced to cram an old rusty dusty video card from a strangers PC! Ewww! And although my X1000 is a few years old, it deserves the newest of the best!

In any case, that is another topic of discussion. For now, what I'm interested in is:
Machine, Card and chipset, Logo time.

Thank you!

Profile     Report this post  
amigakit 
Re: Interested in boot time of typical Radeon HD cards
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 6:32:56
#2 ]
Amiga Kit

@Hypex

To run Spencer with Warp3D Nova you need an Southern Islands or Oland chipset Card such as Radeon HD 7770, Radeon R7 240, R7 250 or R7 250X. There are many more in this range too.

The 4 series and 5 series cards are very old now and based on Evergreen chipset.

Official Wiki here:

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=RadeonHD

Last edited by amigakit on 11-Jul-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 9:15:10
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

X5000/20 Radeon R9-270X = 10 seconds

klx300r 
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 18:24:48
#4 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@Hypex

from the time you push the on button to the time you see the WorkBench screen

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Spectre660 
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 18:42:11
#5 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

He is asking how long does it take for something to be displayed on the screen after the video card is initialized.In this case the X5000 U-Boot logo.Not how long the OS takes to boot .
42 seconds to finished Workbench from hitting start though .

Quote:

klx300r wrote:
Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@Hypex

from the time you push the on button to the time you see the WorkBench screen

Last edited by Spectre660 on 11-Jul-2018 at 09:06 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 11-Jul-2018 21:28:14
#6 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@klx300r

He is asking how long does it take for something to be displayed on the screen after the video card is initialized.In this case the X5000 U-Boot logo.Not how long the OS takes to boot .
42 seconds to finished Workbench from hitting start though .

hmm ok then I just posted a vid on my blog of my X1000 booting up to Workbench and its approx 40 seconds too from Uboot screen and me hitting enter to WB

Last edited by klx300r on 11-Jul-2018 at 09:57 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

severs 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 3:03:40
#7 ]

@Hypex

X5000/20 Radeon 7770, 10.5s.

54s to WB screen. I shoulda got a SSD

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 6:54:14
#8 ]

@Hypex

X5000/20, Radeon HD 5450, Cedar, 10 s.

(35 s. to WB from OWC Mercury SSD, amigabootmenu_animcycles=1, no optical drive)

Rob 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 20:39:52
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
But, a few years back, there was a virtual 3d hardware acceleration layer added to the Radeon drivers so what happened to that?

Hans wrote a 3D engine to demonstrate the flexibility of the compositing system built into OS4.1. It is not part of the RadeonHD driver.

Daniel Müßener has made us of this for some of his own games.

You can get a demo of Wings Battlefield below.

http://www.goldencode.de/download.php?file=WingsBattlefield_Demo_AOS4_RadeonHD_Compositing.lha

Quote:
This was brought to my attention when I tested the new Spencer game. It only works on OS4.1 FE I found. And needs supported 3d hardware. On my AmigaOne XE it loaded up into the 3d title screen and then crashed when trying to load the game.

What type of crash do you get? If it's a GR then you should send a report to Amiboing. Before that you should confirm that you have the latest version of MiniGL installed.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the R9 series is around four years old. I can't see any in local shops and only find old stiff on eBay.

Radeon R7 250 cards are easier to find new.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 3:30:14
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Thanks for your info. Yes I found all this out in the last week or so. If I'd known this was going to happen I would have bought a new Radeon four years ago.

Perhaps I should get a new spare in time for the next Radeon drivers update.

Oh you didn't post your times.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 14:39:48
#11 ]
Elite Member

@All

Thanks for reporting your results. I thought there were more then five people reading AW who had an OS4 machine with a RadeonHD. But no one else showed up.

It also seems I was a bit off with my timing. I tested my X1000 before and it took ten seconds from off for my monitor to acivate the screen. Though I'm hoping some of that is the monitor itself.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 15:20:20
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
Hans wrote a 3D engine to demonstrate the flexibility of the compositing system built into OS4.1. It is not part of the RadeonHD driver.

Is it available seperately as part of Warp3D or something? I suppose there would be much work writing a MiniGL wrapper so that 3d apps could use this virtiual 3d engine. I could always try Wapz3d!

Quote:
You can get a demo of Wings Battlefield below.

I also tried this on MorphOS. Thanks. It runs really well on my X1000 in full HD.

Quote:
What type of crash do you get? If it's a GR then you should send a report to Amiboing. Before that you should confirm that you have the latest version of MiniGL installed.

It's an ISI. ­Bizarre. Seems to be in unknown space but crashing on a cmp instruction.

I don't know what MiniGL version. It's currently in my out of service XE.

Quote:
Radeon R7 250 cards are easier to find new.

Yes I see that. I did find some R9 example on eBay but at close to 500 bucks, nup!

I compared all the supported chipsets against a HD4890 on http://gpuboss.com but only the R9 matched it. Of course, it just compars the spec, real world perfomance is where it matters. Or matters on an AmigaOne.

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 15:49:06
# ]

@Hypex

- X1000
- RadeonHD7750
- 4 GB Ram (2 GB visible/usable)
- 500 GB SSD
- Catweazel and LAN Card installed in PCI
- BenQ BL3200 connected through DVI

-> 12 or so seconds until the monitor's power light first turns from yellow to white (indicates that it has a connection over the cable, but no visible display yet)
-> 17.18 seconds until the X1000 boot/firmware/CFE logo comes up

Didn't check the time it needs to boot into WB completely, because it's still way faster than the PC, so i don't care.

Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 16:31:23
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Is it available seperately as part of Warp3D or something?

The demo should be in the media drawer of your X1000 install CD and both the demo and source are available on Hans' website.

[Link

Quote:
suppose there would be much work writing a MiniGL wrapper so that 3d apps could use this virtiual 3d engine.

I don't think that's something in the scope of the engine. You'd basically have to create a new API based on the engine and it's not really practical to create something we already have and that does a better job of it.

On the subject of MiniGL. Daniel is currently working on a MiniGL wrapper for Nova so you can run current MiniGL apps without the need of a separate driver for the legacy Warp3D.

Quote:
Yes I see that. I did find some R9 example on eBay but at close to 500 bucks, nup!

Currently clock speed is the most important factor in choosing a card to use with Amiga OS. This is because the APIs, or at least the software currently using them do not take advantage of the massive parallelisation offered by these cards.
I got an R9 280 but would have been better off with a 270X since the clock speeds are higher than on my card and some R7 250 cards even have a faster clock speed than some 280 cards.

I think an R7 card is probably the most sensible choice for Amiga OS hardware. It's also worth noting that support for Radeon RX cards is currently on the way for Amiga OS.

nbache 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 21:34:04
#15 ]

@Hypex

X1000 with Radeon HD 6670, Dell 30" monitor with 2560×1600.

Around 11 secs to blue LED on monitor, around 32 secs to first image (the grey X1000 logo screen).

This is after turning the machine off and waiting for the monitor to go to sleep. A case reset works significantly faster for both parts.

Best regards,

Niels

nubechecorre 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 22:28:55
#16 ]
Cult Member

Just to let you know that with my Sam440ep i am able to play Spencer demo. It hasn't all the 3d effects that you have with a modern 3d graphic card (that I suggest you to buy if your system support it) but it's playable (at least the demo).

So i don't know why it doesn't start on your system..

Bitplane

outrun1978 
Posted on 21-Jul-2018 11:50:49
#17 ]
Cult Member

@hypex

How about this then? Switch on to MorphOS desktop in 16 seconds on the X5000. Check out the 2nd video

http://amigax5000.blog/2018/07/19/morphos-3-11/

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 10:18:04
#18 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Yes I bet MOS uses a compressed boot image. Smaller and faster to load.

But how long does your X5000 take to set up?

outrun1978 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 11:04:10
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Not sure what you trying to ask here in terms of setup?

On The X5000 MorphOS is by far the quickest to load in about 16 seconds from switch on of the machine to desktop
AmigaOS will take about 40 seconds
Linux will take over a minute as it runs a read of the kernel from the usb and set up of all the onboard hardware prior to loading Ubuntu

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2018 15:36:09
#20 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

By set up I mean from power on to logo.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle