Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Comi:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  27 mins ago
 vox:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  55 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Noob WB Question... It's been so long!
Register To Post

PosterThread
csdecato 
Noob WB Question... It's been so long!
Posted on 8-Jan-2019 13:43:39
#1 ]

Hi All!! and thanks so much for reading...

I think this is a simple question, and I'm trying to save myself a few hours of reading by embarrassing myself, and showing my age!!

I'm just trying to rule out an issue. I'm trying to copy a working WB System from one drive to another... My memory is that this was as easy as making sure the new partition was bootable, scsi IDs didn't conflict with other devices, and the boot order was lower than the floppy. Copy the system files in entirety over to the new partition, and away you go... I may be confusing this idea with the way the old mac os could be copied no problem... What am I forgetting??

When I boot from the working system, I can see the new drive, it reads/writes. I've made sure the device is called DH0, is bootable, SCSI ID isn't in conflict, and boot order below 5. When I hold both mouse buttons on boot, the pre boot screen lists the drive, as if it's ready to use it... but then can't find the system... screams for a 68040 driver, then an ENV folder... then crash!

It's been so long!! I'm sorry to be asking such a noob question! But I've read a lot, and it seems to be such common knowledge that no one even asks!! haha

thanks for any help!! (^=

Profile     Report this post  
csdecato 
Re: Noob WB Question... It's been so long!
Posted on 8-Jan-2019 14:11:07
#2 ]

@csdecato

So I figured I'd add a bit more info and share what I'm trying to do, which is mainly backup my friend Rays A3000... he passed last year. He was an amazing musician, and sfx designer, and inspired me to get my 1st Amiga! My A3000 hasn't booted since 2006... fell victim to the dreaded barrel battery I believe. His A3000 though, has somehow survived! and his old Quantum drives wirr up, and work perfect.

I've got myself a SCSI2SD V5 gizmo, and have read a bunch, and watched a few vids about it... seems pretty simple! And I've had success in that the machine sees the sd as a drive, and I can use it... but I'd like to be able to boot from it, and give his old drives a rest! Then start the work of archiving his midi files and samples! and hopefully one of my old drives still spins up as well!!

I had quite a audio/music machine back in the day... the AD516 card, One Stop card, and all the audio editing and creation apps out there for the Amiga.

Anyways!! Thanks for reading!

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Jan-2019 15:37:20
#3 ]
Elite Member

@csdecato

Do you have install disks? Maybe starting with bare-bone OS would rule out hardware issue.

Looks like OS install you want to copy is not suited for this new computer (eg. that 68040 thing sounds like previous computer had 68040 CPU card and new one has - probably - 68030). Look into startup-sequence (or user-startup; both in S drawer), if there is not some 68040 related stuff, then comment it out (";"). And move anything from WBStartup drawer - just in case.

Note if you don´t find your answer here, you may try eg. eab.abime.net forum, which is more "classic" oriented.

Deniil715 
Posted on 8-Jan-2019 15:46:23
#4 ]
Elite Member

@csdecato

Could also be that the old startup-sequence or user-start references the old parition by name (Workbench:) or device (DH0:) instead of SYS:. Then it won't find its stuff if the backup is called f.ex. BakWorkbench: and DH1: and the old harddisk is removed.

Have you tried booting (from the new harddisk) with both disks present in the machine?

csdecato 
Posted on 8-Jan-2019 19:48:07
#5 ]

@Deniil715

Thank so much!! Yes!! the names got me! I was worried that if I duplicated the names, it would create a hassle, and so I created a hassle anyways! As soon as I named them exactly the same, It boots perfect... other than DOpus is looking for the old drives... nbd!

Running great from the SD card reader! So cool! and quiet!

Looking forward to backing up my old drives as well as seeing the old girl in action running
Bars & Pipes!

Thanks again!!

(^=

csdecato 
Posted on 9-Jan-2019 2:37:45
#6 ]

@csdecato

Thanks so much!! If I could pick your Amiga brains a little more... So now I have my dead
friend Rays system, and everything he ever did, and my system, and everything I ever did on one
16 GB mini SD card... It boot's into either system, and runs great! No HDs!

My question is this.. I'm a Mac guy now... is there a way to easily image that SD card? OR do I have
to create a virtual Amiga via FS-UAE to make a backup that I could easily copy to a fresh SD card when this one poops out?? I've only scratched the surface of creating an actual FS-UAE system on my MBP... I dig the idea! But it seems pretty complex! My love for the AMIGA is really all about
how amazing the 8 bit audio hardware sounds... I'm not a gamer, and not a lot of the cool AMIGA audio apps are available virtually... is it worth the hassle to create a FS-UAE system? or can I easily image the SD card via an app on my MBP to create copies...

Again, thanks sooo much for your help!! I'm so happy and impressed with the amazing folks that still love this amazing OS and HW!

(^=

Amigo1 
Posted on 9-Jan-2019 7:06:09
#7 ]

@csdecato

Hi and welcome!

Starting from OS X Mavericks all through macOS Mojave, you can connect your SD using a CardReader (the OS will complain the disk is unreadable and ask you if you want to initialise the disk, please click "ignore").

Open "Disk Utilities" and create an image (either read/write or read only) from the SD card.
Then change the file ending from (make sure you selected "Show all filenames extensions" in the Finder Preferences) from .dmg to .hdf but it's not really needed.

Finally you can use the image in FS-UAE or WinUAE.

edit: it might work prior to Maverick too, but I can't remember..

Last edited by Amigo1 on 09-Jan-2019 at 07:07 AM.

csdecato 
Posted on 9-Jan-2019 14:56:26
#8 ]

@Amigo1

Thanks so much!! I was able to create an image using Disk Utilities in Sierra... not sure if it will actually work in a FS-UAE set up yet, but I'm betting it would! No way to copy that image to a fresh SD card though, at least DU wouldn't let me... it can't read the file, even if I leave the .dmg it won't do it... So for me to copy that image onto a fresh SD in the future, I'm assuming I have to create a FS-UAE system... is that right? I'm feeling more excited by the idea of it now... just worry that I'm not all that savvy!!

Thanks again for your thoughts!!

I plan to do some videos of my A3000 running with no HDs in the next few days... Last night I installed my AD516 card, and One Stop Music Shop card in, and amazingly!! They both worked!! Just like they did in 1993!! So I'll be posting some vids of those in action also, if anyone is interested (^=

woop!

Amigo1 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 6:23:41
#9 ]

@csdecato

you can restore the image to an SD card using the Terminal and "dd"
all the data on the SD will be overwritten. It's best to use a card with the same
capacity (2GB, 4GB...)
You might need to unmount the new SD-Card if it is formatted:

1. open Terminal and type

diskutil list

now you can take a note of the disk identifier of your card. For example
Amigo1-MBP:Desktop Amigo1$ diskutil list
/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
0: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: 2.0 GB disk3

2. unmount the disk
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3

3. now type
sudo dd if=~/Desktop/ImageName.dmg of=/dev/disk3 bs=512

it will prompt to type in your administrator/user password and then start writing
to the SD-Card.

that's it

Last edited by Amigo1 on 10-Jan-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 14:42:56
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Disk Utility won't do this, restore an image, from the GUI?

klx300r 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 16:38:39
#11 ]
Elite Member

@csdecato

welcome back

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Amigo1 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 17:47:39
#12 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Amigo1

Disk Utility won't do this, restore an image, from the GUI?

Disk Utility can restore image to media, but unfortunately it has to be able to read it.
Since it can not read Amiga Filesystems it will refuse to do so.

g0blin 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 21:02:11
#13 ]
Cult Member

@csdecato

Hello mate, welcome back!

Quote:
Again, thanks sooo much for your help!! I'm so happy and impressed with the amazing folks that still love this amazing OS and HW!

I am quoting your lines because right before Christmas we had a thread that kept going forever about why the people left the Amiga.

Why I left the Amiga

Your enthusiasm proves that we can still make it!
Thank you for that!

Cybersphere Page

csdecato 
Posted on 15-Jan-2019 21:04:49
#14 ]

@Amigo1

Thanks so much for this!! Although I've been trying to get it sorted for an hour or so... and still not getting it!! haha!

I'm giving up for now after finally getting close (i think!) but i'm getting this

dd: unknown operand

followed by my path to the dmg... Is it that I'm running Sierra? or am I more likely typing the path wrong? I know that was the case earlier... took me a few tries to successfully unmount cuz of my lack of typing skillz

Thanks all for the welcome back! I have some more Amiga audio vids I'll post soon if anyone is interested! I'm having a ball running the old girl!

(^=

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle