Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  9 mins ago
 DWolfman:  18 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Printing in FS-UAE ?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Gregor 
Printing in FS-UAE ?
Posted on 6-Mar-2019 7:48:04
#1 ]

Is it possible to use a printer connected to the host machine with FS-UAE? How should it be configured from AmigaOS? I tried to use netprinter.device (host system has Mac OSX) but was not able to get the printer to react any way. Browsers work, so the net itself should be available from FS-UAE.

BTW, this kind of questions have gone unanswered in English Amiga board, so no help from there.

Regards,

Gregor

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Printing in FS-UAE ?
Posted on 8-Mar-2019 13:59:47
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Gregor

I haven't tried myself but regarding the nature of netprinter.device it would need a printer driver. What driver are you using? I think you would need an Amiga driver that could drive the printer if connected directly.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Mar-2019 14:18:23
#3 ]
Elite Member

Odyssey repost.

Last edited by Hypex on 08-Mar-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 9-Mar-2019 10:42:40
#4 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
I haven't tried myself but regarding the nature of netprinter.device it would need a printer driver. What driver are you using? I think you would need an Amiga driver that could drive the printer if connected directly.

Naturally... I tried Postscript, it is the best choise if suppoorted by the printer. But the fact that the printer is not reacting anyhow and not even giving an error message suggests there is no real connection to the printer from FS-UAE. (BTW, I haven't got YAM to work, either, even though Web browsers work ok, as already said).

I have used the UAE netbsdsocket.library but haven't yet tried with the separate Network card option (A2065). Do you also need some custom driver for AmigaOS to be able to use it in UAE?

Regards,

Gregor

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Mar-2019 15:01:35
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Gregor

Quote:
Naturally... I tried Postscript, it is the best choise if suppoorted by the printer. But the fact that the printer is not reacting anyhow and not even giving an error message suggests there is no real connection to the printer from FS-UAE. (BTW, I haven't got YAM to work, either, even though Web browsers work ok, as already said).

If your printer is expensive or is a laser then yes PostScript is good. Otherwise a printer that can support PCL3 is the next best thing. A popular inkjet is troublesome these days as nothing but HP would likely have a driver and more often than most it only accepts PCL3GUI.

If basic data is getting to the printer then something should print out. Printing basic ASCII text should work. I've found if the printer doesn't accept any commands given it won't always display an error or react at all, as is the case with HP. It just ignores the data.

From what I've read YAM should work. But I wonder if it is letting all the ports through. Perhaps run an online port check with the ports used by YAM and netprint.

Quote:
I have used the UAE netbsdsocket.library but haven't yet tried with the separate Network card option (A2065). Do you also need some custom driver for AmigaOS to be able to use it in UAE?

For this, no you shouldn't. The standard A2065 driver should work. There is one on Aminet. In this case, using built in A2065 emulation, it would need a TCP stack. If it only emulated the hardware.

Last edited by Hypex on 10-Mar-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 10-Mar-2019 19:51:54
#6 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
If your printer is expensive or is a laser then yes PostScript is good. Otherwise a printer that can support PCL3 is the next best thing.

I have a laser (Lexmark B2442) which understands both PostScript and PCL

Quote:
If basic data is getting to the printer then something should print out. Printing basic ASCII text should work. I've found if the printer doesn't accept any commands given it won't always display an error or react at all, as is the case with HP. It just ignores the data.

My Lexmark shows always on it's display if it is at least receiving data, even if it cannot print it. That can happen e.g. if the page size of the document and the selected bin do not match. In that case it does not show any error message, it just ignores the data.

But to my surprice I was able to print directly from PageStream! It has a custom print engine which uses a proper PPD file and bypasses totally the AmigaOS printing system. I just needed to create for it a dosdriver (NPR:) which uses netprinter.device. I also had to download from Aminet a library which Netprinter did not find (probably included in AmiTCP which I do not have on my FS-UAE boot volume).

So, the issue seems to be only with AmigaOS's own printing system. This is not a big problem as I mostly print via PageStream, anyway.

Quote:
From what I've read YAM should work. But I wonder if it is letting all the ports through. Perhaps run an online port check with the ports used by YAM and netprint..

How to do that on AmigaOS 3.5...? I have not done that kind of check before...

Regards,

Gregor

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Mar-2019 14:01:20
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Gregor

Quote:
I have a laser (Lexmark B2442) which understands both PostScript and PCL

So it does. Looks useful. Ability to switch between them.

Quote:
My Lexmark shows always on it's display if it is at least receiving data, even if it cannot print it.

That would be useful then in diagnosis.

Quote:
But to my surprice I was able to print directly from PageStream! It has a custom print engine which uses a proper PPD file and bypasses totally the AmigaOS printing system.

That's good news then. Getting somewhere at last. I wonder then what went wrong with the Workbench driver? It's quite configurable with the DPI so looked forward compatible.

Quote:
How to do that on AmigaOS 3.5...? I have not done that kind of check before...

Good question. You will need a modern browser to do it. In a nutshell you go to a site that does a port check to see what ports are open. But, even if the browser works, the port check can fail remotely. You will need to find what ports are used.

Or, perhaps best, use a port scanner. Here are some. My favourite used to be GoPortScan.
http://aminet.net/search.php?query=portscan

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle