Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

outlawal2

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  3 mins ago
 AndreasM:  5 mins ago
 sibbi:  14 mins ago
 saimo:  29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  29 mins ago
 vox:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  53 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  A4000 ZORRO cards not recognized until it "Warms Up..."
Register To Post

PosterThread
10MARC 
A4000 ZORRO cards not recognized until it "Warms Up..."
Posted on 31-Mar-2020 15:58:41
#1 ]

I have an odd issue. My A4000 has a Macrosystems Warp Engine with a 68060 mod on it, SCSI and 128 MB of RAM.
When I cold boot it in the morning, it will not see any Zorro cards at all - (I can tell because it has RTG Graphics). Showconfig will show the Macrosystems card, but not my Retina, AD516, XSurf 100 or V-Lab card. The interesting thing is if I leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes, and then reboot, all the cards show up, and the computer works great for the rest of the day! Even if I reboot, or power cycle it, ZORRO works just dandy.

My first thought was my motherboard, so I replaced it (Sending my first in for recapping) - Same symptoms on a new motherboard and a different ZORRO backplane. Both motherboards have the very latest revisions of all chips.

I have no recollection if this was happening when my Macrosystems Warpengine had the 68040/40 Mhz in it, so it leads me to believe that it is the 68060 mod causing the issue? But then why would it work perfect after "Warming up"?

I could understand if there was some timing issue causing the problem, so i enabled "boot delay" on the WarpEngine (10 second delay to let Hard Drive spin up) - Same thing in the morning.

Just as a side note - The Amiga works fine when it does not see the Zorro cards - no issues or strange crashes, just no ZORRO...

Has anyone seen these symptoms with other 68060 mods? (Mine is the one from TBTORRO on Amibay)

Profile     Report this post  
deadduckni 
Re: A4000 ZORRO cards not recognized until it "Warms Up..."
Posted on 1-Apr-2020 7:04:24
#2 ]

@10MARC

Have you tried a newer more powerful PSU?

10MARC 
Posted on 1-Apr-2020 23:54:54
#3 ]

@deadduckni

No... But that is an excellent idea. I have been looking at some Interface boards to connect an ATX to my A4000 and A3000 machines. Maybe it is the Power Supply capacitors that are just not charging properly until it "warms up"...
Good thought. I actually do have a second power supply (an original) that I could try.

Wol 
Posted on 2-Apr-2020 6:42:49
#4 ]

@10MARC

This seems to be a timing issue (Temperature Sensitive).
The Amiga is very sensitive to timing, sound like something is on the raggy edge
and variations in temeprature just push it over .( Could be an electronic timing or Physical mechanical problem).
Now, your Amiga functions normally with no Zorro cards detected, and no other errors,
I would look at the Autoconfig chain starting from Buster through the Mainboard connector to the PAL's on the Zorro backplane.

Try:
If your Buster is PLCC, remove it an put it back in. (Phisical)
Backplane Connector. (Phisical)
Autoconfig Chain. (Electronic) The Autoconfig Chain circuitry is quite simple, it's just daisy chained on the Zorro expansion board.

Don't forget the Early boot Menu screen, accessed by holding Both Mousebuttons down during Booting, will give you access to Expansion Board Diagnostic screen.

PS: I know how annoying this can be, I once had a Cyberstorm Mk2 which would only boot when the system was cold, ( Crash otherwise).

Wol..

10MARC 
Posted on 27-Apr-2020 23:57:03
#5 ]

Well I seem to have gotten to the bottom of this issue... I had my A4000 board recapped by Paul Rezendes. I knew this would not be a fix since I had two boards, risers and power supplies with the same issue.
I got it put back together, and it would now just lock up right as it was supposed to close the shell and kick into RTG mode... Total lockup.
Took out all the cards and it would work OK in AGA mode. Started putting the cards in one at a time, and as soon as I put in the Retina Z3 card, the problem came back. No boot.
The card reports as "working" with Showconfig and early bootup, but as soon as I initiate the Picasso 96 drivers, total lockup.
Took the card out, and every card is recognized on first boot. (Which is odd, because I relly thought I tried this before)
Looks like a failing card was my issue... It is so hard to go from an RTG system back to an AGA system!
Funny thing about that is when I use my A1000 or A1200 with OCS or AGA, I am totally content. It is just my A4000 has been RTG since day one, so I am so used to it! Time to look at fixing the card, or maybe just getting a ZZ9000

kolla 
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 8:16:55
#6 ]
Elite Member

@10MARC

Have you tried with CyberGraphX?

10MARC 
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 20:48:43
#7 ]

@kolla

It won't often even be recognized with Showconfig, or in the early startup menu, so I know the card has a problem. Cybergraphx is fine I am sure, but I have used P96 in one way or another for about 20 years. It has worked fine until now.

kolla 
Posted on 28-Apr-2020 22:30:41
#8 ]
Elite Member

@10MARC

Ok, but you wrote ...
Quote:
The card reports as "working" with Showconfig and early bootup, but as soon as I initiate the Picasso 96 drivers, total lockup.
... so that is not true anymore?

Have you tried just the Retina card, and no other card?

Last edited by kolla on 28-Apr-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Last edited by kolla on 28-Apr-2020 at 10:32 PM.

10MARC 
Posted on 30-Apr-2020 6:14:32
#9 ]

@kolla

Ya... Tried it alone. Sometimes it would be recognized in early startup and showconfig, then it stopped even doing that.
I have since recapped the Retina board, but that did not help.
Ended up going back to my Cybergraphx 64 3D which was also giving me intermittent lock ups months ago (hence the switch to the Retina) but now seems fairly stable with the addition of a nice hear sink on the main graphics chip.
Retina card is going out to a friend so he can look at it

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle