Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 secs ago
 OlafS25:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 Kremlar:  30 mins ago
 Rob:  34 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  57 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Sam440EP RevC trying possibly broke (update: solved and works)
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Bugala 
Sam440EP RevC trying possibly broke (update: solved and works)
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 17:53:49
#1 ]
Cult Member

I bought used Sam440EP RevC long ago and it came in completely working condition with case and all.

I hadn't used it for a while, but suddenly there came need to use it, but alas, I had accidentally removed the power cord cable away, and I couldn't remember where, nor find it.

So I started looking for similar power cables and plug them in. I got power on but no picture, until after few different cables, it stopped turning on even.

First of all, it is not sure if I ever actually got my SAM turned on, since I got no picture.

I thought it was on based upon case having this display that was showing the heat of the fan when turning on, and this have now stopped.

I also never heard hard disk drives sound, hence it is possible that either HD was so silent, or never started. And I also am not sure the fan actually was turning around either.

All I know is that there were some lights, and that display on case that was showing the heat of fan and some graphics on it.

Now situation is that the display doesn't turn on anymore, but when I plug power cord, I can see two lights come up.

First of all there is this blue light, which goes on and off, depending if I try to turn SAM on or not by pushing the power on/off button on case.

Second one is this green light that is on something that might be PSU.

There is no traditional PSU there in that case, but there is this dongle that is attached to back of SAM which I suppose is PSU since there goes power cords from it all around.

That dongles size is size of a smaller USB stick, but I think it is PSU, especially since power cords cables go there too. So that one gets green light when power cord is on, which would suggest to me that it is getting at least some power.

So what should I do? Is my Sam done or not?

I would guess there is still hope since the blue light is there?

Last edited by Bugala on 25-Sep-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Last edited by Bugala on 25-Sep-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
utri007 
Re: Sam440EP RevC trying possibly broke
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 19:25:55
#2 ]

@Bugala

Based your text there is too many open questions.

First you need to figure out if your power supply is OK.

Sam has very common ATX power connector, so you could try normal ATX psu.

Have you visited saku foorumi? You could try to find some local help from there.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 19:28:23
#3 ]

@Bugala

The blue light shows that the SAM is receiving power as normal.

I had a look in the manual and it says:

- "There is a blue led near the J21 Sata connector. When this led is lit, the
board is under power. When the board is switched on, this led should
go off and the power led on the computer case should light on."

So when you turn on the SAM, the blue light disappears, which is just as it should be.

What do you have connected to the computer? HD, keyboard, mouse etc?

I remember one problem with a SAM440EP Flex. It was exactly like this and the culprit was, after a lot of troubleshooting and even help from ACube themselves, the PSU. It seemed to be working, but when the owner tried a stronger one, everything worked properly again. Do you have another PSU you can try?

Last edited by AmigaOldskooler on 12-Sep-2020 at 07:28 PM.

K-L 
Posted on 12-Sep-2020 21:12:52
#4 ]

@AmigaOldskooler

I had the same trouble, and indeed the PSU was not working correctly anymore. I changed it and the Sam was working again.

Trixie 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 6:46:17
#5 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@AmigaOldskooler

My first PPC Amiga system, the Sam440ep, developed similar symptoms after two years of good service. After replacing the battery and PSU (to no avail) it turned out that the M9 gfx chip had burnt

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Bugala 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 7:06:44
#6 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Okay, then I just need to keep going through those Power Cords I guess.

Point being that if that dongle is PSU, then it does have enough power since it did work before.

But another possibility is that perhaps that cord itself is the PSU, and I need to find strong enough one.

To clarify a bit here. I have been avoiding touching hardware for last 20 years, so I have bit of dropped on things.

to me PSU is the traditional big thing that you put inside a case, this one however doesn't have one like that.

I haven't even given a thought what is the PSU on laptops, always just assumed it is inside the laptop itself somehow, but now that I think of it, perhaps on laptops it is that big box on that cord that is the PSU?

If that is so, then perhaps my SAM has a same system, since as I told, I cant find that cord anymore, but I think it did have that box on that cord, so maybe that is actually the PSU, and it is exactly as K-L suggested, that I just need to find PSU / cord, powerful enough.

So what is the power requirement for SAM440EP REVC + Harddisk, Keyboard, mouse, internet cable (I guess internet cable doesn't really take any power).

Bugala 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 11:31:06
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Bugala

Oh, and another question.

If I disconnect the HardDisk, should I still see something on my monitor when I turn Sam on?

Point being that I am bit afraid trying different cords with harddisk on if it could cause harm to hard disk, and if I could first try without HDD, then it would also take less power I suppose.

utri007 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 11:42:41
#8 ]

@Bugala

Pictures would be helpfull? I suppose that you have some kind of PICO solution https://fi.grandado.com/products/160w-12v-kaytannollinen-dc-atx-160w-pico-kytkin-psu-auto-auto-itx-atx-virtalahdemoduuli-60150?variant=14042405208099¤cy=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7Ghvobm6wIVltwYCh2MNgTKEAQYAiABEgLMpvD_BwE

Bugala 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 15:08:40
#9 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Yes, that is exactly the "dongle" I was referring to.

So is that a PSU?

And when looking for a cord to attach to that from a wall, what do I need to take into consideration?

And I suppose that "dongle" is getting power normally too, since there comes a green light when I attach one of my cords to it.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 17:57:17
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Have you checked the battery?

A friend had one of these and the PSU had blown.

Another issue I have seen is the UBoot chip loosing contact. I don't recall where it is. But try pushing the socketed chips in on the board.

KimmoK 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 18:37:51
#11 ]
Elite Member

My challenges with SAM440ep...
https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39297&forum=33#754888

Not tried it for a while.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Bugala 
Posted on 13-Sep-2020 19:36:52
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Havent checked battery, but how do I check if PSU is blown?

PSU or something else blown is a possibility, since I now see it requires 12 V source, but at time it stopped working I was trying 15V source cable.

To clarify a bit, a tried couple of different cords, maybe 4 in total. First maybe 3 worked same, then the fourth try it stopped displaying that case thing, and even replacing to one of the previous ones that had just worked moment before, didn't work the same anymore.

However, the only real difference I can notice is that the cases display doesn't work.

Even when the first cords did make the case display work, I didn't hear any sound from HDD, nor did I get any picture out, so chances are that everything is working as before, except the cases display stopped working.

PSU gets the green light, SAM board shows the blue light, and when I press the power on button, blue light turns off, and if I push power button again, blue light is back on.

Therefore only real difference I can notice is the cases display not turning on anymore.

utri007 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 6:36:45
#13 ]

@Bugala

PICO is not a PSU, it just a adapter wich allow you to use laptop style PSUs.

You can always try normal ATX PSU. You can replace PICO wit it.

You should NOT just test things like you have did. Seems that PICO is 12v device.

Bugala 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 7:05:44
#14 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Okay, so basically the thing I refer to as cord is the PSU then?

that a cord that attaches to a wall, and has that box in middle of the cord, the box is the PSU then, right?

And I need to look for ones that have marking of 12V now I suppose, and basically that 15V could have blown something up.

utri007 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 7:49:32
#15 ]

@Bugala

Add pictures here. It would make things easier.

Bugala 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 9:17:20
#16 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Here is picture of the case display that stopped working:
[img align=left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/m264tkubtauj07g/IMG_0090.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Here is what I mean by the cord, and the box in that cord (that I suppose is the PSU in this case):
[img align=left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vkobvgclrdtnbv/IMG_0087.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Here Sam board without Cord plugged in:
[img align=left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/espf0dsd6afto2l/IMG_0086.jpg?dl=0[/img]

And here with the Cord on, which shows that blue light is ON on board, and there is Green light ON on Pico:
[img align=left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6ncs53xj8ta7kw/IMG_0088.jpg?dl=0[/img]

If I press the power button on top most picture, blue light turns off, else than that, nothing happens.

Also, additional question. Are all necessary cords in place on those pictures when forgetting mouse and stuff which by purpose are not plugged in.
Also notice that HDMI cable is not in place, nor is the power cord to HDD and Cd-Drive, HDD and Cd-Drive are off since when I open the case, the cord is not long enough to hold, so for picture taking purpose I had to unplug it. Meaning the power cord that goes from PICO to HDD and Cd-Drive and actually also goes to that case display too.

But is everything else there in place, or is there some power cord missing on board still?

EDIT: Those images are not displaying like I meant them to. Is this only on my computer, or others not seeing the images either?

Last edited by Bugala on 14-Sep-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Last edited by Bugala on 14-Sep-2020 at 09:18 AM.

utri007 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 11:08:38
#17 ]

@Bugala

Have you tried VGA cable?

Do you have a change to test with normal ATX psu?

bison 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 14:37:43
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

No images here either. Maybe links would be better anyway.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Sep-2020 17:20:40
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Quote:
Havent checked battery, but how do I check if PSU is blown?

Usually by a simple test. Turning on and finding nothing happens. A better way is looking at the mainboard for lights and other activity.

I don't know about the Sam. But these PPC boards can go haywire when the battery dies down. Or not go at all. For example, my X1000 would no turn on and I thought the PSU had blown. Turns out it was the battery.

Quote:
To clarify a bit, a tried couple of different cords, maybe 4 in total.

Okay, yes some power cords can look the same, but not deliver enough power.

Quote:
Therefore only real difference I can notice is the cases display not turning on anymore.

A serial null modem cable seems to be the most effective way of seeing if these things are alive. Next to any on lights on the board. Since they lack warning speakers.

Bugala 
Posted on 15-Sep-2020 10:43:59
#20 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Havent tried VGA, since for some strange reason SAM has a male VGA connection and I have only male cables, so male to male just doesn't work.

Every other VGA connection I have seen have always been female. A very odd design decision that one.

I just dragged one old computer, going to check If I can use its PSU, I suppose it is ATX (not sure what that refers to actually)

EDIT:
hmm.. Actually, looking at that VGA connection better, I guess it isn't VGA connection at all, since arent VGA connections usually blue colored? and this one isnt.

Looks to me like this board has only HDMI connection and nothing else as an option.

Last edited by Bugala on 15-Sep-2020 at 10:46 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle