Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Seiya:  59 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 mbrantley:  3 hrs 30 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:53:52
# ]

@alx

Quote:
I cannot see the supply of CPU cards being a problem for Eyetech

Once you've actually GOT a local manufacturer.

Look, everyone, has it occurred to you that your overly aggressive attitude is actually chasing the people you want to talk to away?

No one likes being shouted and screamed at, and told (by people generally totally ignorant of what's going on) to do this and that NOW! whilethey're already overworked and seriously underpaid, usually working like dogs on the very problem that all the ranting is about.

And when they answer the question , they're usually either ignored or insulted, or both.

I'm currently at the stage where I'm wondering if AmigaWorld is really worth all the stress and work, both of which I can do without.

Last edited by anarchic_teapot on 27-Feb-2005 at 02:54 PM.

Report this post  
DrJohn 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:54:46
#22 ]

@anarchic_teapot

It's seems irrelevant (at least to me) how or why someone's CPU in their A1 failed. CPU module upgrades/replacements have been advertised as a feature of the A1 motherboards since the beginning 2 or more years ago, and continue to be as newer models like the u-A1c come out.

While it's certainly frustrating to some people to not be able to upgrade their CPU beyond 800 or 933mhz, that's one thing. It's another thing entirely not to have at least a replacement at the same speed, and with perhaps a few thousand boards out there now, the odds are in favor that this will become a larger issue over time, although it's obvious that the percentage of failed CPU's over say 2000 boards is so low that it's hard to justify production just for that alone. Catch 22 I guess.

The other thing and this is just a combination of spersonal peculation and what I believe to be common sense. If I were Eyetech I probably wouldn't want to release CPU upgrade modules just yet. Why? Because a) a large percentage of the 1000 XE owners which have now had their A1 for a year or so, would want to buy one. That same group of people would probably also buy a new XC as an "upgrade" or second machine when it becomes available. Now, how many of those same group of people would jump to purchase an XC if they had their XE's (and even uA1) running at 1.4ghz? I suspect it's an unfortunate pickle for both Eyetech and the community to be in, but hopefully it's only temporary and some people will have to suffer as a result. My guess is that you will see CPU uprade modules after the XC is shipping in sufficient quantities and/or sufficient quantities of u-A1-C's have been shipped....it's anyones guess what "sufficient" equals.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:55:40
# ]

@The_Editor

Behaving like a responsable human being would suffice. A patronising attitude is only making it worse.

Report this post  
RedMelons 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:56:10
#24 ]

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:
I'm starting to lose patience. You've HAD your answer

Er, so wouldn't the sensible thing be to stop reading and stop replying. Those of us interested in Helgis' (or anyone else's) comments are then at liberty to read them if we wish.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:56:55
# ]

@anarchic_teapot

I'm sorry for that but you don't sound very helpful by just saying we should wait for unknown times. You have to understand the need of these CPU-modules.

Everybody here is screaming for them now. You are the one who is not...

I'm sorry you happen to loose patience, and i think YOU are the one that should be listening very carefully, and just not me...

I'm sorry, buddy, but that's it...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 14:59:04
# ]

@Helgis

Im not screaming for them and there is no sense in adopting such an offensive aggressive tone IMHO it never ever ever leads to anything positive.

Report this post  
The_Editor 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:00:48
#27 ]
Elite Member

@DrJohn

True.

But if a new FULL sized MoBo were to be released with all the latest wiz bangs I would then advertise my XE for sale.

@ Rose.. I'm just having fun with Ya !!

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:02:24
# ]

I'm sure Eyetech might be working hard enough, and the others being part of it, but if something doesn't happen to the situation about CPU-modules etc, then i fear that the AmigaOne is doomed...

Now there is a reason to be worried... Do any of you actually understand why this topic is so incredible important?

We want the AmigaOne to have a bright future, right? Eyetech knows what they have to do. The message stays very clear about this...

I have no further comments to this right now...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:03:15
# ]

@DrJohn

For replacement purposes, I entirely agree: it's irrelevant why the CPU failed. However, my objection was to the agressive attitude taken by Helgis and a few others, particularly hard to digest when the CPU failure was all their fault anyway.

In fact, all the failed CPUs that I know of either burnt out due to overclocking, bad cooling, or in one extreme case, a lightning strike. That last one destroyed the whole computer, though, and we got the customer's insurance company to pay for it all.

As I said, the CPU module issue is being adressed, but much of the process is not within Eyetech's control as it has to be subcontracted out. We should have already have CPU boards for sale, but the subcontractor has not yet delivered.
Eyetech isn't IBM, or Dell, or Asus or any of these companies with major clout who can make contracting companies sing, danc,e and drop their pants on command. Nor am I. If the subcontractor overruns, for reasons which may even be beyonfd his control, there's not a lot we can do except wait.

Thank you for at least one thoughtful post here. It makes a change, believe me.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:08:45
# ]

@anarchic_teapot

If you know about this situation that Eyetech needs to find a subcontractor to deliever CPU-modules, why weren't we informed about this then?

How and when is Eyetech going to find someone to make these CPU-modules? How long are we actually going to wait? This is something we ALL would like to know, and i am very much sure that most of us are already worrying about the situation..

If you are able to make direct contact to Eyetech, then PLEASE do that and let us know about the current situation very carefully. We want to know...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:15:36
# ]

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:
Then you need to test the prototype to be sure it works properly

Testing prototypes before releasing them to end-users? That sounds like a great idea!

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:20:01
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

This has actually been done in the very beginning when the first A1-motherboards were ready. This could be done now, too I understand it's a hard work, but it needs to be done. All these things i said...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:21:24
# ]

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:

anarchic_teapot wrote:

I'm starting to lose patience. You've HAD your answer, if only you had the patience to actually listen instead of rant.

That goes for several of you in this thread.

I don't understand your tone and attitude here?

I think that Helgis points are very fair and reasonable, and there is no need to be this rude and hostile!

If there won't be any CPU *upgrades* (faster, better) available - then OK, but shouldn't one at least be able to buy *replacements* for the one you have? Warranty has expired for some people, or it will soon, and things DO brake, and people DO want to experiment. What's the harm in that?

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:33:10
#34 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
I think that Helgis points are very fair and reasonable

There is always the fact that Helgis managed to blow up his CPU all by itself, so there is no reason for the topic: "Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!".

People have warned other people about overclocking, so whatever happens when you do it anyway is NO ACCIDENT.

If there is anyone that needs to tone down it is Helgis and certainly not Rose.

Most of all, what part of "the CPU module issue is being adressed" was so hard to understand?

Last edited by Rogue on 27-Feb-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:35:10
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

Thank you so much for saying that That was very wise words

I don't know what is wrong with anarchid_teapot. He has to understand, and now i was sent a warning message about abusing the site just for this topic? That's quite irrelevant, and i didn't do that! I was just pointing the need of the CPU-modules!

What is wrong with anarchid_teapot, really? I thought he understood...

He wasn't very helpful....I wish he was...

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:40:05
# ]

@Rogue

Perhaps you should read the topic very carefully first? Even that some of us have a dead CPU or whatever, we also would like to have a faster CPU. Now that my motherboard actually seems alive and whole, but with a dead CPU, it should be possible to replace it with a new one, or even getting a faster and better CPU.

Since this option is not available, the need for this topic was incredible important!

You are doing the same mistake as Anarchid_Teapot. Shouting out loud withouth showing sympathy and actually listen and being helpful about the situation. Everybody else agrees with me, actually, as you may notice yourself...!

No further comments...

Report this post  
Coder 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:42:23
#37 ]
Team Member

@Helgis

Quote:
What is wrong with anarchid_teapot, really? I thought he understood...

He wasn't very helpful....I wish he was...

She Helgis. Not he but she.

Coder

RedMelons 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:44:52
#38 ]

Helgis got a warning?!!!

Quote:
was sent a warning message about abusing the site

That is NOT on! It wasn't Helgis who unleashed a stream of insults against AmigaWorld users:

Quote:
if only you had the patience to actually listen instead of rant. That goes for several of you in this thread.

I'm currently at the stage where I'm wondering if AmigaWorld is really worth all the stress and work

Behaving like a responsable human being would suffice. A patronising attitude is only making it worse.

my objection was to the agressive attitude taken by Helgis and a few others

Thank you for at least one thoughtful post here. It makes a change, believe me

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:45:03
# ]

@Helgis

Your tone can be seen as overly agressive that's all. And you have an image of being over reactive built up by your posting history. English isn't your native language and it can sometimes be hard to see how something you write in another language is percieved.

An example:

"Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!"

- agressive, demanding.

Nicer alternatives:

"Should Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?"

"It would be nice with alternative CPU modules for A1XE."

"Eyetech, replacement CPU modules would make my day."

etc..

Try cutting down on using "!"'s and try to figure out if what you write could be percieved as if you're demanding stuff. If they do, try to phrase it diffrently.

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:45:10
# ]

@Coder

Oh God, i'm so embarrassed. Edited - offensive comment removed...

Anyway, i just wanted to mention this topic. We all want different CPU-modules, right, for whatever reason....

I love my AmigaOne so much. I want to exploit it capabillites to its' fullness, withouth damaging the hardware...

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 27-Feb-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle