Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 Hypex:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  55 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:49:14
# ]

@Orgin

I COULD have done that, while thinking. Maybe i do that the next time

It's hard to be balanced here And God, i thought i was the guilty one with the warning of an abuse, while actually Anarchid was the one abusing the site?

Ok, now to a nicer question. Will Eyetech be able to solve the CPU-modules issue?
How will they do that, and more importantly...when?

Now, that's better, isn't it?

Report this post  
RedMelons 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:50:36
#42 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
there is no reason for the topic: "Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!"

Well, there is probably no need for the dramatic emphasis used by Helgis, but he is understandably a bit stressed out about his AmigaOne, and his posts are always entertaining and full of charcter.

The topic is otherwise correct though. Any dealer should be able to provide spare parts for the goods sold. It's a bit worrying to think that if my CPU fails today I can't get a replacement. Is that actually the case? Where did the original cpu for my AmigaOne come from?

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE...
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:55:36
# ]

@RedMelons

Gees, that's a very good question. In the very beginning, when the first AmigaOnes were about to be released, a CPU-module test for the first A1XE boards was done. I would like to know WHO actually made the first CPU-modules? Something surely should be done about the situation..?

Yes, i think it's actually the case that no dealers, probably especially around Europe, is more or less able to provide spare goods like CPU-modules. Other parts like the new Sillicon Image ATA-controllers, yes, but NO CPU-modules yet?

I am using a PC for rent now, and now i actually realize how much i miss my A1..

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Report this post  
Gopal 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:57:26
#44 ]

@Helgis

You have every reason to be embarrassed. Not for the gender issue. But for this thread, and certainly for the "Edited - removed reference to offensive comment" comment.

Eyetech "promised" not to release cpu modules, before they saw a real market for it.

Please try to exchange this kind of posts: "Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!"
with this kind: "Eyetech: Can you please provide CPU-modules for A1XE?" in the future.

You´ll make more friends, and produce less anger.

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 27-Feb-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:01:54
# ]

@Gopal

Yes, i'm aware of that. One already mentioned a more "kindly" topic, so i could just change that now. Thank you. It is noticed

But i don't understand what Eyetech means "when it's a market for that"? It is clearly a market for that. That's why we have the problem that they're not available from dealers around the world...

Report this post  
The_Editor 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:02:45
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Gopal

Very true.

Anonymous 
Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:06:16
# ]

Take a look at the topic now. It has become more friendly and neautral. Hope to get more friends now then

Report this post  
alx 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:07:06
#48 ]

@Helgis

Quote:
But i don't understand what Eyetech means "when it's a market for that"? It is clearly a market for that. That's why we have the problem that they're not available from dealers around the world...

TBH I haven't heard of anyone else needing just a CPU module - certainly not enough for Eyetech to order a batch. That said I cannot see any reason why they cannot simply order more CPUs than mobos, and something like that appears to be in the works now. Have patience my young padawan

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:12:10
# ]

@alx

If i'm not mistaking, there are rumours about several CPU-modules to be available soon? One of them is surely a 1.6Ghz Motorola 7447B low-power G4 CPU-module?

Good, that would be so great, and even a 1Ghz IBM 750GX G3 CPU-module, too?

It these the things you're trying to tell me? So they will be available soon? My AmigaOne will come back to life then? Yes, i'm a padawan learner. I will serve you, my master!

Teach me the way of the Jedi. Let me learn the way of the Force I want to be a Jedi like my father was before me

Report this post  
tomazkid 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:23:56
#50 ]
Team Member

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:
One, I recall, that you brought on yourself by overclocking your CPU despite being told it was a bad idea and in any case would invalidate your warranty...

So how long is this warranty, after all my A1Xe is almost 2 years old now

Agree with the thing about overclocking though, one should always be very careful, and really think if one is needing those extra MHZ it gives.

billt 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:44:45
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

If you can find someone willing, try his CPU module in your motherboard. At least then you'd have proof that only the CPU is dead and the rest of the motherboard is fine. I'm curious how you can tell that everything else still seems to be working fine...

But I would like to see people having the option to replace or upgrade.

Last edited by billt on 27-Feb-2005 at 04:56 PM.

sgm 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:45:35
#52 ]

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:

anarchic_teapot wrote:

I'm aware of two CPU module projects, one in the US where it is supposed to be at the production stage, and the other in France where we have yet to reach the prototype stage.

Rose,

there's one thing that doesn´t 'click' to me yet, and that is: when Eyetech delivered SEs and XEs, it did include G3/G4 Megarray boards, which are supposed to be working fine (and they do, unless you mess too much with overclocking, that is ). So, what prevents Eyetech to go to the same provider for CPU boards only? Probably the answer to this question is well known by everybody here, but fact is that I don't know it.

Thanks.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:48:02
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
I think that Helgis points are very fair and reasonable

There is always the fact that Helgis managed to blow up his CPU all by itself, so there is no reason for the topic: "Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!".

People have warned other people about overclocking, so whatever happens when you do it anyway is NO ACCIDENT.

The reasons to why anyone would want to *buy* (yes, pay money for) a new CPU card is not really relevant IMHO, and really none of our business. However, it could perhaps be seen as a little worrying if no CPU cards are even available? I am not necessarily talking about upgrades (even if that would be nice too of course), but simply replacement cards!

Quote:
If there is anyone that needs to tone down it is Helgis and certainly not Rose.

I agree that Helgis writing style can be a little "bombastic" sometimes! But everone here certainly knows his writing style by now, and his writing style does not make his points less valuable. There simply needs to be replacement CPU cards available! He meant no harm to anyone, and doesn't deserve to be treated as if he did IMHO.

Quote:
Most of all, what part of "the CPU module issue is being adressed" was so hard to understand?

That is good news, and not hard at all to understand!

May I ask you if this will be a CPU *upgrade*, or *replacement*?

You don't happen to have a timeframe for this?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:53:45
# ]

I hope the rumoured different CPU-modules will be available soon. If not, i will have to save money to buy a new A1XE-motherboard, but the G4-model that time.

And i could pick up a much better ATA-controller. The S-ATA Sillicon Image 3114, now THAT would be something, and a Radeon 9800 Pro, and faster and better harddrives, and NO overclocking at all! That's for sure!

Report this post  
The_Editor 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:56:06
#55 ]
Elite Member

@alx

Well Helgis is obviously one that needs a new CPU (if it turns out to be cooked).

Also JerryUk is looking like he might need one as well.

So certainly it would seem like some spare Bog standard MegArrays are needed.

If these DO need to be manufactured then whoever takes a chance on this might as well go the whole hog and supply the best upgrade they can.

At least there would be a sale for more than TWO cards !!

( I'm pretty sure Helgis & Jerry would buy the faster card if thats all that they can get).

Zardoz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:57:46
#56 ]
Team Member

@Helgis

This issue is so important because you fried your CPU card. You would have never posted anything about it, you would never really care about it had this not been the case.
BTW, I would tell you to test the machine with a friend's card or something, just in case the chipset it dead.

Toaks 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:04:52
#57 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

well i know i will buy a cpu ugrade if it comes before other machines come (like the XC(?) etc) ...

but yes this all boils down to the fact that helgis blew his cpu card..

@helgis:

i told u before, i havent even fixed my vcore for the reasons you are well aware (messing with something i have no idea about = BAD) of now and i wouldnt have changed my fan either if it hadnt been done in the shop while i bought it.

Toaks 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:06:08
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

lets hope its only your cpu thats dead, but i would recomend you to just buy an µa1 c while waiting for cpu modules or whatever.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:20:52
#59 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
Perhaps you should read the topic very carefully first?

I read "must provide" and an exlamation mark. That sounds like a command to me.

Quote:
we also would like to have a faster CPU.

That is pretty much desirable, but it is still not a "must provide".

Quote:
You are doing the same mistake as Anarchid_Teapot. Shouting out loud withouth showing sympathy

Beg your pardon, but it was you that didn't listen to people (including myself) saying you should not overclock your CPU. If you are driving a car too fast and crash, are you asking for sympathy as well?

Quote:
Everybody else agrees with me, actually, as you may notice yourself...!

Being right or wrong is not a majority decision. If you would have written a mail to Eyetech and *politely* asked for replacement CPU's to be made available, this would have been different, but you had nothing better to do than to *demand* that in a forum.

I have *always* told everybody *not* to overclock their machines, but have been largely ignored. Now don't bark at me if I tell you "I told you so".

Quote:
No further comments...

You said that before.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:29:18
#60 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@RedMelons

Quote:
Well, there is probably no need for the dramatic emphasis used by Helgis, but he is understandably a bit stressed out about his AmigaOne, and his posts are always entertaining and full of charcter.

I beg your pardon? I was especially pointing out what you call "dramatic emphasis" (I would call it offensiveness). Yes, he might be stressed, but that is no reason to be impolite to Rose or anyone else for the matter.

Quote:
Any dealer should be able to provide spare parts for the goods sold

To what extend? What if it isn't the CPU but one of the parts on the mainboard? Ultimately, a "spare part" is a complete new machine.

Quote:
Is that actually the case?

Why ask this in a forum, to me? Why is the whole thread in a forum, to begin with? The only one that can actually answer is Eyetech. The only purpose I see is to stir up enough people to start complaining, and apparently, this has worked.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle