Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  8 mins ago
 VooDoo:  9 mins ago
 OldFart:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  [Poll] Garry Hare
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Poll : How has the latest info struck you?
No change
Optimistic before, now pessimistic
Pessimistic before, now optimistic
More cynical
Less cynical
I'm backing AmigaOS4 against 'AmigaOS5.0'/AA
I'm deserting AmigaOS4 for 'AmigaOS5.0'/AA

PosterThread
Dandy 
Re: [Poll] Garry Hare
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 18:23:34
#41 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Yeah - I know what you mean.

Itr seems that today most people can`t accept if one does not want to be
reachable...

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
Dandy 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 18:30:15
#42 ]
Elite Member

Ooops - sorry - double post - deleted.

"Cancel post" button does not work!

Last edited by Dandy on 22-Mar-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Dandy

nzv58l 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 18:44:25
#43 ]

@olegil

Quote:
Let's see them track a moving target somewhere on the 800km of open road between Strömstad and Ystad.

Thats easy, especially when they have a GPS tracking device that was implanted at the base of your skull.

Oh! yea,,, on topic stuff... well, I think Gary redeamed himself very well. I myself just think the IRC was at the wrong time. Politics are so fun!

Last edited by nzv58l on 22-Mar-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Dandy 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 18:50:22
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy
Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
Let me know when Bill Gates has a vision where he gasses Jews, invades random countries and takes Deutchland Uber Alles too seriously.

When that happens, I think Ill emigrate to a small island without hotspot connectivity.

I have no information about him gassing jews - all I can say is that he invades every country that is/could be profitable from his POV and that his credo is not "Deutschland über Alles" but "Microsoft über alles" and that he tries to "kill" all competitors...

So it might very well be that you want to tink about emigrating to a small island without hotspot connectivity.

Dandy

Frags 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 19:44:38
#45 ]
Cult Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@Dandy

Let me know when Bill Gates has a vision where he gasses Jews, invades random countries and takes Deutchland Uber Alles too seriously.

When that happens, I think Ill emigrate to a small island without hotspot connectivity.

Where? The UK?

Last edited by Frags on 22-Mar-2005 at 07:45 PM.

- insert profound text here -

MikeB 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:27:52
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
No - seriously - we already use our computers in connection with webcams and voice-over-IP for that and have the advantage to see each other in a reasonable size without having to use a microscope as well as the the advantage of lower costs (once you have the HW)!

I know, but the advantage of smartphones is that you can easily take them with you and you can usually operate them at many different locations.

Quote:
Or how can you make a video stream of yourself while having the phonie at your ear for talking???

You either need a good built-in microphone and speaker or more commonly use a hands-free (bluetooth-enabled) headset.

Quote:
That`s already possible today with my old fasioned phonie, as long as it`s switched on.

You will need a smartphone with an OS like Symbian and a proper display for the phone to provide you maps for your current location (or directions).

Quote:
Are we talking about phonies or navigation systems for cars?

The same type of technology is possible on smartphones as well.

Quote:
Hummmmm - maybe my "paranoia"

No, I don't think smartphones are anything for you and I don't want to convince you that you need one as I am not selling any. Your grandpa or dad may not have liked mobile phones at all. People often just seem to get used to the technology they grow up with.

Last edited by MikeB on 22-Mar-2005 at 10:52 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:35:14
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
Quote:
Similar technology can point in realtime to your current location using geographic maps of the surrounding area,

That`s already possible today with my old fasioned phonie, as long as it`s switched on.

The FBI may be able to track you down, but you would not know your location by just having your phone switched on. (nor would ordinary police)

Steff 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:46:21
#48 ]

@wiffy

Well my mind is unchanged seeing as Garry's clarifications were just a rewording at best.

He did state that he received the AOne that he had mentioned ordering (although I respect the problems entailed with this in some places of the world I had more or less assumed that the CEO of Amiga Inc. would manage to get an AOne if he wanted it.) And I guess the insight to the web layout is interesting for those who absolutely must know everything.

I didn't vote however seeing as the choice "no change" can be interpreted in different ways.

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Manu 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:50:44
#49 ]

Voted no change. ( Allthough I am a tad more optimistic for the future in the long run)
No panic at all nothing really drastic have happened.
Still saving for my A1 and OS4.
Don't understand why ther should be any risk for new splits.

Steff 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:51:46
#50 ]

@olegil

Quote:
Let's see them track a moving target somewhere on the 800km of open road between Strömstad and Ystad. Muhaha.

Better make a detour around Jörlanda (just after Stenungsund) because I'll be keeping my eyes peeled from my summer place there!

Or better yet, come by, set up your tent and have a cup of coffee! I'll show you my AOne XE G4, it runs Soliton like nothing you've ever seen!

Steff 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 21:53:52
#51 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:

Hasn't that been done already?

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 5:57:16
# ]

@Wiffy

Looks like Garry Hare did pretty well with his followup. Yes I know this is imperfect as there was a 31 vote intersection but you cant have everything.

No harm done - in fact some improvement

61 people experienced no change in their views, 51 felt more optimistic as a result and 25 were less cynical. 4 people even claimed they were jumping ship onto 'AmigaOS5.0' based on AA.

Damage done

10 people claimed to be more pessimistic, a further 15 more cynical and 35 were prompted to the point of declaring their support for AmigaOS4 over and above any 'AmigaOS5.0' based on AA.

So as damage control it seems to have worked, yet the polarisation I suspected has already begun.

Report this post  
AlexC 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 7:14:47
#53 ]

@miksuh

I'll state the obvious but: there should be a balance in everything.

Some things can be done by a server, e.g. my e-commerce apps don't require any feature beyond form support on the browser side, and relying on a browser to be able to run flash or java applets to navigate a site is not very bright IMHO.
Those are cases where all processing can be done on the server side because it makes sense.
But don't ask me to store my personal addressbook or accounting tools on some remote server out of my control.

Confidential/sensitive data can only remain confidential if it stays on a medium that can be controlled physically.
Even encrypted connections are insecure to some degree, with sufficiant computing power (i.e. NSA) any SSL encryption can be broken no matter how big the key is.

I can think of some cases where remotely hosted binaries would be a good thing, like using distributed "idle-CPU" time to render some huge 3D animation, or if a business want to install dumb terminals to lower costs.

What I find more worrysome is the idea that one company, M$ for that matter, is pushing the concept to further lock people in. I'd need several pages to properly explain what it is they've done and are working on that is cause for concern. In short their goal is to prevent people from having any alternative.

Just check IonMame's sig about TCPA to see the kind of crap that's coming, and if you give it enough thoughts you'll realize that ultimately it would make writing your own sofware a crime and corporate giants would get to dictate what you can and cannot do with your hardware and software.
In essence its about raising the legal requirements so high that individuals and start-ups can't use/make/release anything that's not "approved".
The cost of approval being out of reach, of course.

Ultimately, it's about freedom. That's why I use the Amiga in the first place, and I'll probably have to move to another country to keep doing so, seeing how things are becoming here with the DMCA, software patents, etc.

Hopefully my rambling makes some sense

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 8:00:05
#54 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
I recall to have read somewhere in Gary`s earlier statements, that his vision would be to (ab)use AmigaOS for a technique, that stores the data across the internet so that you don`t need an harddisk anymore.

I think that was in reference to the Capacity Networks technology that stores things accross a potentially wireless private network. AInc has sold Capacity Networks and one would have to assume are no longer persuing that technology, unless they've found licensing it easier. Seems odd to purchase a company and turn it over so quickly but...what do I know.....I hope they made a profit rather than dropping it like a hot potato.

Of course mentioning that AmigaOs is intended to become an "internet" OS could indeed make your points all the more valid. An Internet OS could do more than store your data, such as all your media files such as TV programs that you recorded, it could potentially take advantage of the extra processing power of other AA user's machines, sort of like Grid Computing, and that was another tech that Capacity Networks was working on. Maybe AInc have found a better way. It might just evolve into a way to provided distributed services on any device connected to the internet. Really, hackers can do that now...without you even being aware of it.

I also have to re-iterate for this thread....
That AA is to AmigaOS what .NET is to Windows. MS would be daft to write Longhorn in .NET and aren't, so neither should Hyperion. AA like .NET and Java, is an application framework. There's always a place for OS4 in the Amiga product lineup...Stop yer worrying.

Ok. Going back to my happy place now.

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 8:00:56
# ]

@BigBentheAussie

Or maybe they never managed to successfully complete the purchase in the first place.

Report this post  
Dandy 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 16:20:05
#56 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
I recall to have read somewhere in Gary`s earlier statements, that his vision would be to (ab)use AmigaOS for a technique, that stores the data across the internet so that you don`t need an harddisk anymore.

I think that was in reference to the Capacity Networks technology that stores things accross a potentially wireless private network. AInc has sold Capacity Networks and one would have to assume are no longer persuing that technology, unless they've found licensing it easier.

You might be right with that...
Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
Seems odd to purchase a company and turn it over so quickly but...what do I know.....I hope they made a profit rather than dropping it like a hot potato.

Yes - really strange.
But one thought struck me - could it be possible that when AInc sold Capacity Networks again, that Capacity Networks suddenly had one or several patents less in their assets, and AInc had some more?
Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
Of course mentioning that AmigaOs is intended to become an "internet" OS could indeed make your points all the more valid. An Internet OS could do more than store your data, such as all your media files such as TV programs that you recorded, it could potentially take advantage of the extra processing power of other AA user's machines, sort of like Grid Computing, and that was another tech that Capacity Networks was working on. Maybe AInc have found a better way. It might just evolve into a way to provided distributed services on any device connected to the internet. Really, hackers can do that now...without you even being aware of it.

I also have to re-iterate for this thread....
That AA is to AmigaOS what .NET is to Windows. MS would be daft to write Longhorn in .NET and aren't, so neither should Hyperion. AA like .NET and Java, is an application framework. There's always a place for OS4 in the Amiga product lineup...Stop yer worrying.
hot potato.

Yes - I think best is to wait and see what they will come up with.
If I then like what I see, I might buy - if not, then that`s it for me...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 17:53:39
#57 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Hummmm - here in Germany it had been repeatedly reported on the news,
that it would be possible to locate a person, as long as it`s phonie
is switched on - no matter how old it is.
It was said they`d do it justby findig the nearest 3 transmission-antennas, where
the phonie is logged in.
This method was said to be quite accurate - it allows to locate the person within
a circle of a few (can`t remember the exact figures) meters.
A guy from east Germany was said to have been inpsired by that to invent a small
transmitter. Parents could place that in their kids school-bag for example, to be
able to trace where the kids are or to find them if they`re missing.
It was said that the guy holds a patent on that...

Dandy

jkirk 
Posted on 23-Mar-2005 18:24:11
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

yep i think you are right on that. i think it is a common misconception that if you are not talking on the phone that the tower don't know you exist. when a phone is turned on it logs into the strongest tower. this tower notifies the service provider they know your phone # so all the police need is a telephone # and can track a person to the area of a cell tower(if no other towers are nearby.) as you travel the cell phone logs in to each tower it passes as the previous tower gets weak. therefore they know the area of a tower and know where the towers are. they can track your movements. if they wanted to. just don't expect it to tell you which street you are walking on, Yet.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

olegil 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 0:56:59
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Steff

Hey, I was planning on spending a night in Stenungsund anyway, maybe I will

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 24-Mar-2005 3:09:13
#60 ]

@jkirk

Quote:
I think it is a common misconception that if you are not talking on the phone that the tower don't know you exist.

So common, that even Mulder got tracked in one X-Files episode.

Ok. Going back to my happy place now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle