Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  2 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  48 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 1 min ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Luc:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Calling all users and dealers!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
shoe 
Re: Calling all users and dealers!
Posted on 15-May-2005 20:34:45
#41 ]

Now this is what a call a thread!

Count me in!

We (as in ACGGbg, and others in the area) have organized a few things in the past. (Like AmiGBG, OS4 On Tour, Release partys, SAFIR, etc..) And AmiGBG 2005 will have a huge impact, at least here in Sweden. It's really important that we make this one count! So PLEASE if you're a developer and have anything you'd like to show of announce - CONTACT US!
And we still need all the assistance we can get, with graphics, invitros, PR, translations, etc. let us know if you want to help us make history!

Let's make this look good!

And like always, nice one Guru!

/shoe (shoe at acggbg.org)

Profile     Report this post  
Jeremy_Reimer 
Posted on 15-May-2005 20:46:14
#42 ]

@PR

Quote:

Just tried it, locked up, could'nt reset from kb.

If you are having trouble with FinalWriter locking up when first loaded, go into your UBoot preferences, select 'integrated peripherals' and change Parallel Port to 'EPP'.

This worked for me and after bumping the stack a bit FW97 has been an absolute champ on my uA1. I'm actually writing my book about the history of the Amiga on it!

What I'd really like to see is someone start selling FinalWriter again. Right now there is no way to purchase it legally, other than used copies. This is ridiculous! It's a perfectly good, modern wordprocessor that runs just like a champ on an A1 (and fast, too!) and why couldn't you just sell it for $99? The funds could be used for porting to OS4 or fixing bugs or whatever.

Softwood doesn't even seem to exist any more as an entity, at least according to their empty website. So how hard would it be to get the rights from them?

Anonymous 
Posted on 15-May-2005 21:14:29
# ]

Hi @Jeremy_Reimer

-> ".... FW97 has been an absolute champ on my uA1. I'm actually writing my book about the history of the Amiga on it!..."

Gack! Umm, leave out a couple chapters - deliberately! It would lend realism to the Amiga story. 1994-1998 has to be some 'vague' times.

Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Posted on 15-May-2005 22:57:16
#44 ]
Team Member

It is nice to see some of the dealers in this thread giving their support already.

@GuruMeditation

Excellent news and idea. If more dealers could join in, the platform would get a much needed developmental boost.

[Edit: fixed @ bit....in my haste and sleep deprived state, I wrote the wrong company/dealer down]

Last edited by _Steve_ on 16-May-2005 at 09:15 PM.

anythingamiga 
Posted on 16-May-2005 3:19:40
#45 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
On a recent thread there seems to be some indication of a disengagement between dealers and users ( at least on this site ). I'd like to see this stop, in fact I'd like to see discussion continue but for personal feelings to keep out of the way of it.

Snip

So, could at least some of the A1 dealers, people involved in OS4 now and OS4 future and users who have ideas, time, creativity and interest please reply on this thread as to whether or not they are interested in helping out and how. If you have an idea, post it. If you see a problem, post it. If you are cynical about something like this, post it. I don't mind. We need to re-engage and to do so constructively, and try to put old differences aside.

Snip

Personally I as a dealer I believe have gone out of my way supporting the platform and developersand users, so much so that I don't even have an AmigaOne of my own to use as I have lent both my XE and my pre-prod Micro A1 out to two developers whilst we wait for more stock of Micro's.
I poured many dollars into research of Ram modules, IDE controller cards etc for the XE and the Micro, as well as sponsoring, funding and supporting various OS4 shows and user groups ....................... and I will continue to do so for as long as I can and for as long as we can afford it.
Mind you the cupboard is just about bare with no OS yet to sell, nor any hardware available to sell to run it on !!!!
Things are that quiet I have had to go back to a fulltime job ............. work ............... a bad four letter word that one !!!

Regards
Doug

redfox 
Posted on 16-May-2005 3:20:23
#46 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Final Writer 97 works just great for me on my AmigaOne (µA1-C) ...

Just follow the advice given by sundown and Jeremy_Reimer ...

Quote:

Remove the FWFiles/FW.Prefs file & see if FW97 works. I couldn't even get FW97 to start until I did this. The prefs file will be re-created when you save your settings again.

Quote:

If you are having trouble with FinalWriter locking up when first loaded, go into your UBoot preferences, select 'integrated peripherals' and change Parallel Port to 'EPP'.

Like sundown, my FW97 wouldn't even start until I removed my FW.prefs file.

If you copied over existing documents from your old Amiga, you might have to add an assign to reflect your new hard disk volume name.

For example, on my Amiga 2000HD my hard drive volume name was Workbench ...

On my AmigaOne, my hard drive partition volume name is AmigaOS4 ...

So, I added an assign statement in my user-startup file to reflect this.

assign Workbench: AmigaOS4:

That way I don't have to change the default tool for every document I moved over to the new system.

Last edited by redfox on 16-May-2005 at 03:36 AM.

wegster 
Posted on 16-May-2005 5:59:04
#47 ]
Elite Member

@anythingamiga
Doug, sorry to hear about the 'back to fulltime job' part..been through that (after owning a business) and it's tough Hopefully things will change for the better...somehow!

Quote:
Mind you the cupboard is just about bare with no OS yet to sell, nor any hardware available to sell to run it on !!!!

Are all the dealers currently having problems getting their hand on the uA1s, or???

Anonymous 
Posted on 16-May-2005 6:37:32
# ]

@Doug

Ive had quite a few sleepless nights worrying that this will happen to me, with what Im doing, but at least we have the option right?

Sorry to hear all your good works have gone unreported

@Thread

The A1 poll on the right hand side indicates there are as many potential sales as people already have A1s! Only 5 people have indicated they aren't interested and couldnt be persauded.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 16-May-2005 7:52:53
# ]

SQLite 3 port just went up to os4depot, I haven't tested it much yet but its a start!

Report this post  
Mark 
Posted on 16-May-2005 9:29:17
#50 ]
Team Member

@Wiffy

you could assist on the OpenOffice project?

Mark

Anonymous 
Posted on 16-May-2005 9:33:14
# ]

@Mark

I'm so disinterested in office software that my contribution would slow to a crawl. Im happy and motivated with e-commerce software, daemons, servers, desktop replacement software, christ even games.

I know my limits, and Im limited by yawn factor

Report this post  
Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 16-May-2005 9:56:14
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@Doug

Sorry to hear all your good works have gone unreported

I am somewhat guilty of this non-reportedness of Doug's efforts. I post so much yet have over the past few months not really mentioned anything this dealer has done behind the scenes. I don't have access to his mailing list thing (haven't really tried to set up a yahoo account thingy), but I do know he is constantly engaged with the community.

(Not a shameless plug, just merely stating the fact of his invlovement on the larger OS4 scene).

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 16-May-2005 9:57:24
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@Mark
even games.

Games? Yes please!

Anonymous 
Posted on 16-May-2005 12:00:27
# ]

Im considering setting up a email list between dealers, enthusiastic users and potential users to discuss ideas but the only thing about that is that it takes the action away from where others get to see somethings happenning.

Bad idea? Good idea? you tell me.

Report this post  
PR 
Posted on 16-May-2005 13:00:54
#55 ]

@Jeremy_Reimer wrote:

That worked! (The FW.prefs file was deleted some time ago) , The UBoot change
did the trick. Thanks! Now getting to work with the next problem, printing..:)

Reaps 
Posted on 16-May-2005 13:05:26
#56 ]

@Wiffy

Personally, I think (well... me thinking is a rather personal thing wouldn't you agree?) that taking such discussions away from a public forum will ultimately kill it off. At least in a public forum you may attract new participants with minimal effort, where as in the "closed" environment of a mailing list, people will leave, addresses will change and the attrition rate will probably be higher than the rate at which you can find new and interested participants.

For me:
Pros for a mailing list - higher quality communications, interested parties only.
Cons for mailing list - "closed" to only those on the list (may miss out on new parties and ideas), extra communication (to the community) required.
Pros for forum - transparency as to what is happening, open to all.
Cons for forum - increased "noise" and the occassional spanner trying to derail the process.

I vote forum.

Other thoughts people?

James

gnarly 
Posted on 16-May-2005 13:16:53
#57 ]
Cult Member

@Wiffy

Take a look at Spread Firefox. Its a community driven effort to promote the Firefox browser to the masses.

You might remember that Firefox had a double-page advert in the New York times. The community at Spread Firefox paid for that. Now, I don't think we can do anything on that scale (yet) but it might give us some ideas for fun and interesting promotion outside the clique - some people just painted the firefox logo on the quad at Oregon State University for instance. Community promotion and marketing is something that all the non-programming community members can help out with.

Perhaps creating a dedicated forum on this very site might be a start?

Also, you said that yawn factor was what was holding you back from helping port office suites. Perhaps helping with some of the dependencies might be more interesting? LibUSB, SANE, BerkelyDB, etc...? Any other coders that might be interested would be welcome too

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 16-May-2005 21:52:45
#58 ]

A little update so that this thread doesn't fall entirely out of view (I think that is important):

Two combo cards are waiting to be shipped off to developers as we speak, I'll keep you posted on the progress of the drivers (probably once we have "something" working.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 16-May-2005 21:54:09
#59 ]

@Wiffy

You mentioned something about a tutorial for writing PCI drivers or something similar.. That would be most welcome and further these efforts about getting drivers to OS4. Are they available now, or is this your knowledge/experience?

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

wegster 
Posted on 17-May-2005 5:36:05
#60 ]
Elite Member

@GuruMeditation

Quote:

GuruMeditation wrote:
A little update so that this thread doesn't fall entirely out of view (I think that is important):

Two combo cards are waiting to be shipped off to developers as we speak, I'll keep you posted on the progress of the drivers (probably once we have "something" working.

Ok, THIS sounds interesting!

USB2 and firewire?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle