Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  25 mins ago
 outlawal2:  46 mins ago
 AndreasM:  48 mins ago
 sibbi:  57 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  1 hr 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is PowerPC a dead-end now?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Re: Is PowerPC a dead-end now?
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:27:09
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
Besides, IBM isn't dropping the 970 or its successors any time soon. These CPU's were developed as cut-down versions of their main POWER based server line in order to target the low-end server market with Linux. Altivec was bolted on initially just as a favor to Apple but turned out to be quite useful for Nintendo as well.

Nintendo? Do you know something we don't?

Profile     Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:29:24
#22 ]

@digitaldisaster

Quote:

digitaldisaster wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

I reckon bPlan will buy up all the left over G4's that Freescale have, and at a discounted rate.

One has to wonder where that will leave Eyetech?

That would be quite difficult as most G4's (Way more than Apple consume) are sold to the embedded markets. You would be superised what has a PowerPC chip in it. There is no way Genesi could afford to absorb the surplus generated by Apple deperating from the PowerPC market let alon eat up the entire supply

Genesi are currently in favour with Freescale, and Freescale are promoting the Peg2 all over the far east. Eyetech don't stand a chance at getting as many CPU's out of Freescale as bPlan/Genesi does.

nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:32:06
#23 ]

@Hyperionmp

As we are *constantly* reminded by Hyperion staff, you don't have permission to port to any other hardware than AmigaOne's. Alan basically said today, that only he can release AmigaOnes, and he isn't planning on making any new ones, so talk of new cell based and/or embedded machines are academic.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:33:28
#24 ]
Hyperion

@nicholas

Guy, get a grip. Freescale produces hundreds of thousands of PowerPC chips each quarter.

You don't honestly believe that Eyetech is in competition with Genesi for this type of volume.

Quite frankly, a lot of nonsense is being posted but I then again, what's new? :)

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:35:04
#25 ]
Hyperion

@nicholas

No, what Alan said was that Eyetech (together with Hyperion) have an exclusive trademark license for the trademark "AmigaOne".

This does not imply exclusivity on the hardware side, just exclusivity on AmigaOne branded hardware.

nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:36:58
#26 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@nicholas

Guy, get a grip. Freescale produces hundreds of thousands of PowerPC chips each quarter.

You don't honestly believe that Eyetech is in competition with Genesi for this type of volume.

Quite frankly, a lot of nonsense is being posted but I then again, what's new? :)

And they make this many coz Apple bought most of them. Apple now won't be doing.

Eyetech are skint, bPlan have the monetary backing of Genesi which isn't a lot, but it's more than what Eyetech can muster up it seems. "Economies of scale" people like to say, well if Eyetech had more funds they would be able to get more boards produced at once, and the price would be less. Probably as cheap as bPlans.

nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:38:11
#27 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@nicholas

No, what Alan said was that Eyetech (together with Hyperion) have an exclusive trademark license for the trademark "AmigaOne".

This does not imply exclusivity on the hardware side, just exclusivity on AmigaOne branded hardware.

I see, but that still doesn't detract from the fact he said he won't be making any new ones anytime soon.

smithy 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:43:56
#28 ]

Well this is the last nail in the coffin for PPC on the desktop. PPC will become lower volume, higher cost. Let's not try to pretend the XBox & consoles will make a difference - they all use special versions of the CPU... nothing you could simply place into a computer and run an OS on it.

The tide has turned. It's time to turn with it and move to the PC or we all get drowned. There is no desktop without Intel.

PS. Don't mention BeOS either. Remember how much they increased the userbase after the PC port. And today the BeOS commuinty is larger and more active than the Amiga community. Too bad all those years of PPC-only starved Be of cash and they ported too little too late. An earlier port may have seen Be still around today.

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:49:12
#29 ]
Cult Member

@nicholas

There is no proof Genesi is in any better position than Eyetech, if anything there is more proof that they are - or at least were - in a worse position.
Their relationship with Freescale simply means that they are probably guarenteed chips. Freescale will now have more spare chips and so will have more to sell to companies liek Eyetech. There is no reason for them to not sell to Eyetech as they make money off whoever they sell to.

smithy 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:49:45
#30 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@nicholas

Hyperion's ever over-confident tone seems to imply they have something going on behind the scenes. I suggest they either stop alluding to it in public or just come out with it. (put up or shut up). This constant speculation and uncertainty is only harming confidence.

Seer 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:51:38
#31 ]
Team Member

@smithy

Remember how much they increased the userbase after the PC port.

BeOS could run on lots of x86 motherboards, Apple will still be making their own x86 mobo's AFAIK, so I don't expect to run OSx on my Wintel box now.

That still means I need to buy specific hardware just to run OSx.. And that means, IMHO, that only OSX fans will buy it, and no current Wintel user is going to switch because of that.

Sure, I don't doubt a cracked/hacked version won't come.. But who sais it will run on my GFX card ?

nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:53:23
#32 ]

@Seer

Quote:

Seer wrote:
@smithy

Remember how much they increased the userbase after the PC port.

BeOS could run on lots of x86 motherboards, Apple will still be making their own x86 mobo's AFAIK, so I don't expect to run OSx on my Wintel box now.

That still means I need to buy specific hardware just to run OSx.. And that means, IMHO, that only OSX fans will buy it, and no current Wintel user is going to switch because of that.

Sure, I don't doubt a cracked/hacked version won't come.. But who sais it will run on my GFX card ?

You are forgetting Mac-On-Linux.

Seer 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:53:41
#33 ]
Team Member

@smithy

I suggest they either stop alluding to it in public or just come out with it. (put up or shut up). This constant speculation and uncertainty is only harming confidence.

Somehow, somewhere I agree with that.. Then again, if they don't say anything Hyperion is dead.. If they say to much, it might cost more then they want to pay..

nicholas 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:54:27
#34 ]

@digitaldisaster

Quote:

digitaldisaster wrote:
@nicholas

There is no proof Genesi is in any better position than Eyetech, if anything there is more proof that they are - or at least were - in a worse position.
Their relationship with Freescale simply means that they are probably guarenteed chips. Freescale will now have more spare chips and so will have more to sell to companies liek Eyetech. There is no reason for them to not sell to Eyetech as they make money off whoever they sell to.

But Eyetech won't be buying any CPU's unless they get a BIG order for them. Which isn't likely to happen anytime soon if we are all honest.

smithy 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:54:38
#35 ]

@Seer
Quote:

Exactly. But I'm talking about the potential for OS4 sales on the PC, not OSX sales. If someone slaps an "AmigaOne" branding on the PC will that make it more palatable?

Seer 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:55:15
#36 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

You are forgetting Mac-On-Linux.

Bah emulation, not the real thing !

Hm.. How about VMWare ? At least a little less emulation, CPU wise that is..

smithy 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:58:21
#37 ]

@smithy

Wow.. imagine PC World selling OS4 in boxes on their shelves (they sell Linux, a bunch of other alternative OSes, they used to sell BeOS too). This is only possible with a PC port. But it'd increase the userbase tremendously. We'd probably get more new users in a week than we have in the past 2 years.

This opportunity is too good to pass on.

Shame on those who let zealoutry and petty predjudices get in the way of making a success out of AmigaOS

Coder 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 19:59:48
#38 ]
Team Member

@smithy

Quote:
Hyperion's ever over-confident tone seems to imply they have something going on behind the scenes. I suggest they either stop alluding to it in public or just come out with it. (put up or shut up). This constant speculation and uncertainty is only harming confidence.

If they are quiet it's no good but if they let a little bit of info go (or in other words be active on the forums) it's also no good. They just want to show that something is going on.

Coder

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 20:00:07
#39 ]
Cult Member

@nicholas

Quote:
But Eyetech won't be buying any CPU's unless they get a BIG order for them. Which isn't likely to happen anytime soon if we are all honest.
but that has nothing to do with a Genesi/Freescale realtionship or Apple leaving the PPC market does it?

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 6-Jun-2005 20:00:47
#40 ]
Cult Member

@Seer

IIRC MOL is a Virtual Machine and not an emualtor just like VMWare

Edit: From the MOL FAQ:
Quote:

Q: Is MOL really an emulator?
A: No, not really. Very few things are actually emulated. Technically it is a "virtual" machine with custom device drivers.
Q: Is MOL similar to VMWare on x86?
A: With the reservation that I have never tested VMWare, yes. MOL does not emulate hardware though (according to the rumors, VMWare does this (?)).

Last edited by digitaldisaster on 06-Jun-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Last edited by digitaldisaster on 06-Jun-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle