Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  52 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Post questions for Alan here...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Eyetech 
Re: Q & A with Alan Redhouse?
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 16:50:40
#21 ]

Ok, the puppy was the clincher.

I've promised Mike Bouma that I'll do an inteview for AW, so these questions seem to be a good basis for it. Mike, can you gather me a set of representative questions and send them to me for, say next Monday 27th?

Cheers

Alan

Profile     Report this post  
Kay 
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 17:29:40
#22 ]

@Snuden:

> Would you mind telling us that price, please?

I wouldn't, but Mr.Redhouse might. I don't want to quote him out of context, at least not on a public forum.

Eg får heller sende ein PM...

Kay

Controller 
Re: Post questions for Alan here...
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 17:52:20
#23 ]

I have one question:

I have bought my AmigaOne, Graphic-card and ram-module from Eyetech. But the ram-module (Kingston KVR133X72RC3 512MB with Kingston labeled chips) is not compatible.

I have wrote to Eyetech several times and have recieved good help, but when I wrote about a replacement of the ram-module I didn't get any reply. I wrote two more times and have now given up.

My question is, can I get the ram-module replaced? If I can, how do I do this?

Contoller

BTW I thin my AmigaOne I a super cool computer and is very glad that I bought it

GadgetMaster 
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 20:07:12
#24 ]
Cult Member

If a UK Amiga show is organised soon would Eyetech attend for an official UK demonstration of the A1 with OS4?

MikeB 
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 20:34:15
#25 ]
Elite Member

@ Alan

Quote:
Mike, can you gather me a set of representative questions and send them to me for, say next Monday 27th?

Great! I myself and the rest of the AW team will do our best.

Vidar 
Posted on 22-Oct-2003 21:04:50
#26 ]

Q: How is Eyetech's policy for replacement of write protected BIOS chips which cannot be updated without proper equipment? Would it be possible with some kind of swap arrangement in order to minimize downtime for direct customers? i.e. Eyetech provide new chip, customer then return the protected one?

Reason for asking is that I'm still, after several weeks, waiting for a reply from Eyetech on an inquiery on such arrangement. Other inquieries has been replied to prompte!

NOT a self-appointed internet police..

jahc 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 2:31:01
#27 ]
Elite Member

How many AmigaOnes sold so far? :)

I know you probably cant answer that, but had to try.

Hey, its taken you guys so long to satisfy the large backlog of orders. Its great that you've caught up.. but when OS 4.0 is released, demand will sky rocket again.. will there be similar delays again or do you have plans to hire more staff etc? Thats a tough/sensitive question to ask, but I'd really like to know...

Thanks.

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 2:34:31
#28 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Eyetech wrote:
Ok, the puppy was the clincher.

(Knew it would work!)

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 4:02:15
# ]

1- What are the market perspectives for non Apple hardware regarding the G5 ? Do you think you could have a chance, and that sooner or later the Amiga community could benefit from it, like with the AmigaOne lineup?

2- Could there be a version of the A1 lite with an AGP slot?

Thx

Report this post  
JonasH 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 11:53:06
#30 ]

How dose the plans/ideas for future (beyond A1 lite) models look like?

Will future models be called A2, A3 and so on, or just A1#? ?

How hard would it be for you to make a laptop out of the A1 lite?

// JonasH

Treke 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 13:03:30
#31 ]

Q: Any (more)exact A1-Lite price estimations ?

re
Treke

vortexau 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 16:20:15
#32 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
Ok, here goes.

With the Aone lite being announced for 1st Qtr 2004, what are the chances of an Aone Laptop??

I already have the A1G3-XE, but I think a laptop option would be an added bonus.

Peter Swallow.

Actually, that was a question I asked Fleecy during the IRC session at the Brisbane RoadShow last Saturday.
His answer was along the lines that- it was TOO early to give a CONCRETE answer to that!

So, I'd say that they are looking into that issue!

Eyetech 
Posted on 23-Oct-2003 16:23:12
#33 ]

@ Controller, Vidar

Quote:
I have wrote to Eyetech several times and have recieved good help, but when I wrote about a replacement of the ram-module I didn't get any reply. I wrote two more times and have now given up.

Quote:
Reason for asking is that I'm still, after several weeks, waiting for a reply from Eyetech on an inquiery on such arrangement. Other inquieries has been replied to prompte!

We haven't got any emails outstanding, and both of these requests are very straightforward to deal with. Please email us at sales@eyetech.co.uk with your proper return email address so that these can be sorted out.

I don't know what happened to your original emails. We certainly do get glitches in the service from time to time, but we also have general purpose trashcan mailboxes to catch anything (ie spam) not correctly addressed. If it ended up in there it may have got missed, sorry.

Alan

Dirk-B 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 7:59:37
#34 ]

Hello,

edited:

Alan: Will there be a sort of discount or an exchange
possibility for the Ones who already have an SE or
an XE and wants to buy an AmigaOne light?

De groetjes, Dirk.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 12:20:13
#35 ]
Elite Member

With the /MicroA1 are there any plans to house it in its own unique case? I, and many others feel this is very important for recognition and branding that it has its own face. Its own identity which people can become attached too.

Any prospect of the wedge shape coming back?

Chunder 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 12:41:00
#36 ]

1) ...or to elaborate on Bobsonsirjohnny's question...
Have discussions been held with any third parties regarding the production of full Amiga systems - badged and branded as Amigas? i.e. not just anonymous ATX (or mini-ITX) towers.
(This may be more of a question for Fleecy, as it relates to the Amiga brand; I'm sure, however, that Eyetech has got good contacts with companies that can design custom cases...)

2) The A1 (and microA1) have been touted as being solutions for the embedded market - especially the microA1, I'd expect. Would you anticipate such solutions running AmigaOS, or Linux?

3) Do you have a "roadmap" illustrating the direction in which you'd like to see the A1 development going?

4) Please could we have a microA1 built into a pictureframe, or plasma TV? Pretty please?! Money is waiting!

Thanks and regards!

Amighista 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 15:17:39
#37 ]

So here are my questions.

1) Since no one (at least here in Italy) is interested in the A1SE, are you considering stopping the sales of that product, substituting it with an A1XE/G3 (without AC97: see below) as an entry level offer?

2) Since no one ever wants an AC97 - many italian amigans works in the music field or just as a hobby - inside the A1XE, are you considering to not include it in the A1XE, in that way lowering the prices and making the board both a good entry level offer (see previous question) and a fully customizable board suited to developers/modders/overclokkers/other crazy people (G4 version)?

3) A personal suggestion: why you don't rename the AmigaOne in PowerAmiga, paving way to the return of some classic amiga user, basing on evidences from the analogue Apple experience?(The A1SE/XE/Micro names would remain as "motherboard codenames")

4) Are you considering to make a "Server Edition" with SCSI and/or RAID?

vortexau 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 16:15:42
#38 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Bobsonsirjonny. wrote:
With the /MicroA1 are there any plans to house it in its own unique case? I, and many others feel this is very important for recognition and branding that it has its own face. Its own identity which people can become attached too.

Any prospect of the wedge shape coming back?

Hmmm! You've given me an idea that could lead to more product consistancy:-

NOW, imagine a Laptop, a A1200 decendant, and a CD32 decendant that shared a common design feature, logo, or shape!?!

Addressing the A1200 decendant firstly; while the numeric keypad is quite necessary, it also makes the case w-i-d-e and cumbersome! So, what if the numeric section could be lowered by 2xcasing thickness and pushed inside like a drawer? If it also had a built-in trackball, and pocket to store powerlead + tv/monitor leads, then it would be much more portable than the A500 & A1200 were!

Now, dealing with a CD32 decendant, it should also have built-in storage for powerlead + tv leads. Its shape (and maybe logo) should be identifyable with the A1200 decendant, and there should be useability-upgrades such as expansion interfaces, wireless keyboards, etc.

Then, the FIRST Laptop could share the (slight) wedge-shape. Remember the illfated CBM 8bit laptop? It had a flattened wedge shape identifyable with the C128 and 64C models! I'd say that the FIRST Laptop would have VERY important design requirements- it SHOULD NOT be too expensive (students in mind here), it should be versatile (iTunes? games/productivity), it should have an identifyable shape!

OTHER, more expensive Laptop models could follow-on later!

REMEMBER, CBM gained its BIG share of the early-eighties market (more units sold than Apple+IBM to home consumers) by aggresively low-pricing!

IonMane 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 17:17:19
#39 ]
Cult Member

How soon can we expect to see an AmigaOne based around the IBM 970 or similar CPU?

Glorfindel 
Posted on 24-Oct-2003 23:10:49
#40 ]

Will non-earlybird purchasers of an AmigaOne board be allowed to compile and flash their own versions of the Free Software U-Boot firmware?

I know of no other board as mainstream as the AmigaOne with Free firmware. It has no competition in that regard. To lose such a major selling point (at least for some of us) by artificially crippling the board for the sake of some useless "software protection" (you know it won't work, right?) does not seem like a sane business decision to me.

Think custom, personalised power on animations, music, etc., anything is possible with Free firmware .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle