Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 kolla:  55 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 rzookol:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 lewishamilton0998:  4 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Framiga 
Re: Any news on OS4 for classic Amigas...
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 8:23:42
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

"That's why Hyperion shouldn't release OS4 for classics."

mhhh . . let me understand. You are saying that would be "right" to force users to upgrade? and that Hyperion agree?

"here's no hostility, at all. It's just that if everybody with classics
choose to not upgrade OS4 will die with the first version, simple as that."

i've heard this dozens times but . . .if the AOne were produced and sold out, how the heck other users could purchase one?

AmigaOS4 for Classic would be (other that democratic and-herewegoagain- a form of respect to users who can't afford a new board), a good point for earn money. I'm not saying "i would like to see AmigaOS4 for Classic BEFORE the final release" that would be a nonsense but as soon as and if new hardware will come, yes i want it. Or at least, i want to be free to decide.

Profile     Report this post  
hatschi 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 8:35:46
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel
Quote:
That's why Hyperion shouldn't release OS4 for classics.

Yeah, why not even further limiting the userbase and preventing development for this platform? Why don't you go one step further and say that Hyperion shouldn't release OS4 at all? Or maybe only for elitist circle of people who at least paid more than $1000 for the hardware. That way, only teh real Amiga-fans will be able to enjoy OS4, not those cavemen with their Classic Amigas.
Things are getting more and more bizarre here.

Framiga 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 9:25:09
#23 ]
Elite Member

and if possible, without being forced to sacrifice a vergin in one full moon night as well! its sooo hard to find one nowadays! much more difficult that to find an AOne board or a spare part for it.

naaaa! better to have AmigaOS4 for Classic as well

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 9:50:13
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Framiga

Why don't Hyperion hire a few hardware engineers, buy Eyetech's designs/unfinished A1 boards and release hardware themselves? They seem the only ones with the drive and determination to drive it forward. Just need investment!

A Classic OS4.0 is a waste of time and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to upgrade to A1's if the price is fair!

BinoX 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 9:53:57
#25 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

OS4 should be released for classics too...
Sure, they don't have the power of the AmigaOne... but I'd like to breathe new life into my A4000, since I just use it for playing lotus 3 at the moment.. lol

Dirk-B 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 9:55:21
#26 ]

Be patient people, Hyperion knows that there are lots of
classic-amiga-users in the usergroups, so we will see ...

And to the pessimist's on AW, go find yourselfs another hobby...

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:12:40
#27 ]
Elite Member

@BinoX

The Amiga needs an injection of 21st century technology - USB2.0, secure memory management, internet/office tools, broadband,etc. It does not need further pandering to some Amigans tightness, and selfishness by not wanting upgrade! OS3.9 is a good product and should be enough to tide us by!

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:16:52
#28 ]

@BigD

Upgrade to what?

TrebleSix 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:19:20
#29 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Framiga

Why don't Hyperion hire a few hardware engineers, buy Eyetech's designs/unfinished A1 boards and release hardware themselves? They seem the only ones with the drive and determination to drive it forward. Just need investment!

A Classic OS4.0 is a waste of time and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to upgrade to A1's if the price is fair!

but thats, the problem A1 hardware is too expensive for what you get!

OS4 for Classics will bring in the much needed dollars!

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:27:41
#30 ]
Elite Member

@TrebleSix

And the "Classic" bracket covers Blizzard PPC's, Shark PPC thingies and other rare and obsolete A1200 upgrades right? The decision to go down this route would be a open statement to the world that we're an introspective geek club with 12 year old hardware. If Hyperion have any extra developement money left they should invest in new hardware! I for one am not going to "upgrage" to another 12 year old computer (ie. a new A1200 and obsloete expansion card!! At least the A1 had USB1.0 out of the box!

Last edited by BigD on 08-Mar-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 08-Mar-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Framiga 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:28:49
#31 ]
Elite Member

@TrebleSix

sure!

All AmigaOne owners, more or less, will have theyr AmigaOS4 final as they have already paid for it, hence new money will come from the new hardware and from AmigaClassic owner.

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:34:52
#32 ]

I don' t get the whole BPPC is to slow/underpowered talk at all.

I don't want to use my 1200 to view DVD. Why would i ? i have an xbox with xbmc to do that. Wouldn't do that if i had an AmigaONE either. Don't like sitting infront of a monitor when there is a big tv in the livingroom.

I don't want to play the latest games on it. I use my PC or xbox to do that.

What i do want is to use my PPC card to it's full extent. I would like to be able to use the new native USB stack. The new screendrag in RTG feature. Would love to play with the new skinning engine. Make some skins. Maybe get some more FPS out of Quake 1&2/Shogo/Heretic 2/Freespace. Finaly get rid of the 40+ os patches/optimizations that correct all faults that are in OS3.9.

Amiga is a hobby to me. It will take a loooong time for it to be able to exchange my PC/xbox/whatever. But i like using it anyway and it would be great to be able to play with a new AmigaOS one last time on my 1200.

As i said befor. I will deffenately buy the Troika card if/when it come out and if it makes it within their expected picerange.

BinoX 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:39:51
#33 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

I have both an A1 and many classic amigas...
I'd like to have OS4 running on my A4000...
It already has some modern(ish) features...

USB2, Network access, etc... basically all that would hold it back is the speed of the processor...

But you never know what upgrades you could get for the classic in the future..
If the SharkPPC ever comes out and ever works with OS4 that would basically bring a classic up to modern standards, at least as modern as A1 hardware...

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:40:13
#34 ]

@BigD
I don't think anyone belives that the classic version is a way to attract new customers

But there is alot of people with money (these are amiga fans who have been waiting for a long time to get there hands on this). And any money that comes in to hyperion/os4 team must be good money right ?

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 10:48:49
#35 ]
Elite Member

@WOSPUPOS4

Surely if Eyetech gave IBM an order for a big enough order of PPC chips then they would be delivered and A1 production could resume? Then the mission would be to sell the said number of PPC chip carrying A1 computers. The number of chips and hence A1 required to be sold may be quite large, hence any half assed attempt to split OS4.0 users between Classics and the A1 would hit A1 sales! This argument is also relevant to ACK and Troika vapourware!

stevieu 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:14:01
#36 ]
Cult Member

@TrebleSix

Quote:
OS4 for Classics will bring in the much needed dollars!

I agree. I have a PPC A1200 and would instantly order a copy of OS4 for it. I don't have the funds to buy an A1 (if they were available) at the moment. When I do, of course I'll upgrade. I don't see the harm in releasing OS4 for classic machines. If people want to upgrade, they will.

One more thing...I'll never let go of my classic machine, just because it's a piece of history. Ideally, I want to use my A1200 aswell as new PPC hardware. There's nothing wrong with that!

Steve

Last edited by stevieu on 08-Mar-2006 at 11:16 AM.

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:36:03
#37 ]
Elite Member

@stevieu

Of course there's nothing wrong with keeping and using your classic! However, in such a small market, we all need to suport Amiga hardware manufaturers and your immediate intentions (holding on to your classic PPC card and pushing for OS4.0 support) would act as a deterant for further hardware development. If you don't need the new hardware to run OS4.0, then you have further reason not to buy the A1/Troika/PowerVixen when they become available!

Crumb 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:45:30
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
That's why Hyperion shouldn't release OS4 for classics.

of course, less users/developers is good for os4

Quote:
If everyone keeps their classics the new hardware manufacturer will not

If the users don't want to invest 800¤ on a new machine I guess they are not guilty.

I don't see the point in having custom hardware just for the sake of it.

We had custom chips on Amigas because there was a justification for it, not because the designers wanted to make something different.

I find quite absurd to create a new underpowered and expensive motherboard when you can buy NOW new PPC macs. You can buy NEW QuadG5s now. Leave the companies with experience in hardware sell the hardware and sell the OS stand alone.

Hyperion hasn't seen a single cent from Eyetech, so I highly doubt that forcing the user to waste 800¤ on an old board helps to increase the number of users/potential buyers of Hyperion games. It's better to sell OS4 for existing cheap hardware instead of restricting yourself with the weak piracy argument.

So what if somebody pirates OS4? that silly person won't buy apps or games so he won't count as an user. you prefer to force honest users who buy software to use underpowered and expensive hardware just because somebody who would never pay a single cent for OS4 can pirate it? In addition to that if somebody invests 350¤ in hardware instead of 800¤ he may have money to spend buying software. in contrast if you waste 800¤ I hope you are rich, because my pockets would be empty after investing so much money. But hey! we could advertise it as a TRUE RICH ELITE PEOPLE OS

Has MorphOS powerup damaged the Pegasos sales of Genesi? I seriously doubt it. In fact it may increase sales because ppc users can try it out before making a bigger investment (like the pegasos is).

Reth 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:49:36
#39 ]

I'm also of the opinion that the classic version should be finished and released since this will bring a wider user- and developerbase!

As soon as new Software occurs for AOS4 which needs more power than the classics can give (games for example) the classic users will upgrade if they want to use it!

WOSPUPOS4 
Posted on 8-Mar-2006 11:50:38
#40 ]

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

Surely if Eyetech gave IBM an order for a big enough order of PPC chips then they would be delivered and A1 production could resume? Then the mission would be to sell the said number of PPC chip carrying A1 computers. The number of chips and hence A1 required to be sold may be quite large, hence any half assed attempt to split OS4.0 users between Classics and the A1 would hit A1 sales! This argument is also relevant to ACK and Troika vapourware!

Now i'm realy confused
Are you saying that Eyetech's A1 should be the only way forward for OS4 ?
You must be working at Eyetech to say such a thing. Without healty HW competion the market will surly die. And no i won't buy an A1 even if Eyetech in some way manages to bring more out on the market. It's overpriced and full of buggs.

I would maybe have bought the next gen A1. The CX or what it was going to be called.
But then again the price would have been the key factor. That is why the Troika card is looking so great.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle