Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  31 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 corb0:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:34:53
# ]

@smithy

Certainly. But what good will it do? And wouldn't a bit of investigative journalism be in place? Perhaps a bit of talking with someone who has technical understanding of these things?

I could suggest a port to UltraSPARC too or a hosted Linux environment. What good would it do though?

Report this post  
falemagn 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:39:53
#142 ]

@Trezzer

Quote:

But what good will it do?

Is it supposed to do any good?

~~ Henry Ford

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:42:04
# ]

@falemagn

Well, there's no point in stating the obvious, is there? Then we're back at saving some typing time.

Constructive criticism is always useful and/or interesting. If it's just criticism it's wholly uninteresting.

Report this post  
smithy 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:49:29
#144 ]

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@smithy

Certainly. But what good will it do? And wouldn't a bit of investigative journalism be in place? Perhaps a bit of talking with someone who has technical understanding of these things?

Everytime an OS4 thread appears on osnews.com, many of the comments express frustration that people can't run it on their hardware. Thom's article is just the views of many expressed in its own thread. Fair enough.

This is the computing enthusiast market speaking to us, and the only market that OS4 has the only viable chance of achieving some new users from. Somebody should be listening instead of dismissing (the only source of) potential customers as trolls.

Last edited by smithy on 27-Mar-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:53:41
#145 ]

@Trezzer

smithy is right, Trezzer. You say you ARE seeing the bigger picture-- but then why do you insist on looking at my column from the viewpoint of an Amigan/AW.net dweller saying you already know everything? Please try to understand that the article was written for OSNews, and NOT for AmigaWorld.net.

The fact that someone posted a link to it here changes absolutely nothing about that.

falemagn 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:55:41
#146 ]

@Trezzer
Quote:

Well, there's no point in stating the obvious, is there? Then we're back at saving some typing time.

There's not even point in arguing about the obvious, for that matter, but that's what you're doing, if what you're arguing about is obvious, as you say.

Quote:

Constructive criticism is always useful and/or interesting. If it's just criticism it's wholly
uninteresting.

So, what are you asking from Thom, that he make a new business plan for the Triad and forces them to adopt it?

Look ahead of you: what future there can be with Hyperion stating that they have no communications with AInc anymore?

Time to take your own stuff and move on, methinks.

~~ Henry Ford

polka. 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 17:58:21
#147 ]

@smithy
Quote:
Somebody should be listening instead of dismissing (the only source of) potential customers as trolls.

Now where are the dancing bananas? We need some positive vibrations!

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 18:00:43
# ]

@smithy + Thom

Like I said I agree wholeheartedly in the bigger scheme of things. The problem is a lack of hardware. But like I wrote already it doesn't make much sense beating a dead horse - that is suggesting the typical non-solutions. I think the article could have been written in an informative manner without going into a technical discussion of things Thom doesn't have a proper understanding of (I don't claim expertise in the area myself - I just know what has been repeated by the persons who would actually undertake the process).

Less opinion and more fact would make this more than a rehash - even if the target audience is OSNews who will most likely not question the suggestions much. After all they haven't been informed about the issues over and over again.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 18:06:45
# ]

@falemagn

Quote:
There's not even point in arguing about the obvious, for that matter, but that's what you're doing, if what you're arguing about is obvious, as you say.

Ooooh aren't we getting circular? I'm sure we agree that the context is somewhat different. This is not an editorial but a simple forum post.

Quote:
Look ahead of you: what future there can be with Hyperion stating that they have no communications with AInc anymore?

Time to take your own stuff and move on, methinks.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Then again you could argue that since 1994.

I'm happy with my micro, though, and I hope we'll get new hardware soon so others can join in on the fun. Even more so I hope the situation can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction one way or another. That's not really up to us though. If people listened to the community we'd be headed in 400 different directions already ;)

Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 18:11:31
#150 ]
Elite Member

I kinda agree with the editorial too, with the exception of blaming this on Hyperion.

polka. 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 18:15:49
#151 ]

@Tomas

Quote:
I kinda agree with the editorial too, with the exception of blaming this on Hyperion.

It seems as if "Thom is blaming Hyperion" is already successfully transformed/warped to a fact. Hopefully at least some will READ the editorial and make up their own opinion about what "bashing and blaming" really means. I can't find anything of this in the interview.

/me shakes head

Last edited by polka. on 27-Mar-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Last edited by polka. on 27-Mar-2006 at 06:17 PM.

AP 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 18:35:37
#152 ]
Cult Member

Let´s see: Two of the three AmigaOne/AOS4.0-partners (Amiga Inc., Eytech) are not willing to support AOS4.0. Is there a chance for the third AOne/AOS4-partner (Hyperion) to get out of this contact (or to force Amiga Inc. to change their licence-politics)?

Last edited by AP on 27-Mar-2006 at 06:36 PM.

SoundSquare 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 19:07:22
#153 ]

Quote:
Why? Because it touches a raw nerve.

huhu right.
I'm an Amiga lover, having an AOne, a Pegasos2 and some classics (500, 1200...) but i would allow everyone to have a negative and sceptical point of view concerning OS4 as outsiders. Too much useless drama and fanatism in the amiga scene nowadays IMHO.
Lots are complaining (i did), lots are blind (yeah OS4 will be ported to the PS3 and the Amiga will have its revenge...), naive thoughts, childish hopes, geek fanatism, but i can only see a few wise amigans that keep a sense of self-criticism.

VidarL 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 19:25:29
#154 ]

@umisef

Quote:
7) Is Hyperion aware of ANY such hardware manufacturer having been able to contact Amiga Inc in the last 6 months?

Why shouldn't they have been able to contact Amiga Inc? Amiga Inc still read their emails.

Vidar

hatschi 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 19:36:26
#155 ]
Elite Member

@VidarL

Do the "talking against a wall" comments,these statements, the "*cough* next question please" in IRC and various other comments sound as if there is great communication going on between them?

wegster 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 19:45:49
#156 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
It seems to me that people over here are just too intimate with their platform to be able to step aside and look at the scene and see how completely and utterly hopeless the situation is, at the moment.

I think plenty of people are quite aware of that, myself.

Quote:
Now, it is fine with me if you want to see this article as 'Hyperion bashing', in the end, your opinion means just as little as mine.

Quote:
Nobody seems to be seeing the bigger picture-- aside from a few people (like myself) who are then considered flamers, trolls, and what not.

Now, does that mean I will stop writing about subjects like this? Hell no, of course not. I might be more lucky telling a floor tile to flip-- but an account of that won't fit on OSNews' frontpage.

Except according to your article, you also claim only 5% of OSNews readers even know what Amiga is in the first place. (I don't agree, as far from everyone reading OSNews is still in college or just graduated...) However, IF that is indeed the case, then why would you even bother writing such articles? Or are your numbers wrong, or there's some other motive?

The article itself is pretty much a fluff piece, something to take up space without saying much. You keep referring to farmyard animals for some reason, and while I won't ask about your own personal history with such, repeating it instead of at least attempting to get valid information or guestimates about current userbase points again to there being little substance in the article.

Random comments on the article-
- Pegasos info is still not complete enough to produce 'open pegs,' nor are they RoSH compliant. Oops, strike that from your 'easy solutions.' You can, AFAIK, order them from bPlan, however...but again, the big issue is licensing- no one evidently can get one.
- Again, you state you have little to no Amiga experience...so your interest here is what, then?
- Regarding- 'Most logically: get hardware vendors to make hardware for you.' Very difficult considering the tiny market size.

So, while I'm still at a total loss as to why someone with no Amiga exposure whatsoever would even want to write such an article, or why OSNews would bother to even post it...I just didn't see it's point. That 'from the outside,' where you seem to believe you 'hold the solutions,' you don't have any in reality? Ahh, ok wait, right, you claimed no one else is able to 'see the big picture' above, yet you've shown no evidence of seeing it yourself. This isn't rocket science here...I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back for any 'new ground ' covered, just more of the same.

Oh, was the 'point' that the situation is pathetic? Sorry, everyone knows that one already, no 'news' there...

To be fair, I agree regarding the piracy comment...it's a non-issue, and could actually increase the OS4 market and software base, assuming there was anything to run it on..

Anyways, move along people, really nothing to see there, write the OSNews staff if you've got a huge problem with the article, or just yawn as someone else thinks they have some wonderful ability to state the obvious, and still manages mistakes in attempting to do so (the article itself).

Last edited by wegster on 27-Mar-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 27-Mar-2006 at 08:03 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 19:50:45
#157 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@smithy
Quote:
Somebody should be listening instead of dismissing (the only source of) potential customers as trolls.

Now where are the dancing bananas? We need some positive vibrations!

:

What happened, did they 'find' AInc's 'corporate offices'?

gnarly 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 20:15:45
#158 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

Quote:
So, while I'm still at a total loss as to why someone with no Amiga exposure whatsoever would even want to write such an article, or why OSNews would bother to even post it...
Thom ond his readers obviously have a passing itnerest in platforms other than the mainstream. Many don't know the situation surrounding the Amiga at present. Seems like a nice little topic to mull over on a Sunday afternoon.

Quote:
Oh, was the 'point' that the situation is pathetic? Sorry, everyone knows that one already, no 'news' there...
Do they? We do, obviously, because we read the forums all the time. Not so obvious for anybody who doesn't religiously frequent these fora though.

Anyway, dropping the subject now...

VidarL 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 20:18:13
#159 ]

@hatschi

Quote:
Do the "talking against a wall" comments,these statements, the "*cough* next question please" in IRC and various other comments sound as if there is great communication going on between them?

No, but I didn't say that either. I just said that Amiga Inc read emails sent to them. How, when or what they answer is another matter.

My **GUESS** is that Amiga Inc wants more money if Hyperion ports OS4 to non-A1 hardware, and that Hyperion is unwilling due to the extra effort they have put into OS4..

Maybe we'll never know the truth..

Doobrey 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 20:54:08
#160 ]

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
I won't go into details, But let's just say that there are certain parties whom have a desire for hyperion to fail.

Parties ?? Plural... or am I reading so far between the lines I'm reading from a different book?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle