Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  14 secs ago
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  28 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Luc:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Small ACK PowerVixxen Update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
salteadorneo 
Re: Small ACK PowerVixxen Update
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 11:37:25
#21 ]

I have two A3000 a three A4000 ready and waiting...

For HighEnd I do understand some higher processor specifications... A G3 or a G4 to 800Mhz minimum?

Profile     Report this post  
Legion 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 12:59:25
#22 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Apr 02 19:12:07 adam The A3/4K(T) version is higher end than the 5200

I wonder if the A3k/A4k version could be rigged for standalone as well?

T_Bone 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 13:06:38
#23 ]
Elite Member

Yes! good god yes, let's get this thing out the door, I'm so incredibly bored! I was contemplating doing something drastic, like finding other hobbies

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 13:10:57
#24 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Be careful... I have heard that the sun stings the eyes, and that open air is toxic. It is alleged that humans are real.

@polka. (IE. NEXT POST FOLLOWING THIS) |
|
|
\ /

LOL! That computer looks wicked (/me grabs credit card for USB tanning centre)

Last edited by Bodie_CI5 on 03-Apr-2006 at 01:34 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 13:17:49
#25 ]

@Bodie_CI5
Quote:
Be careful... I have heard that the sun stings the eyes, and that open air is toxic. It is alleged that humans are real.

I heard the same thing. Sun is not necessary anyway since the invention of the USB tanning centre:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/usbtan.jpg

Elbox already confirmed compatibility with the Subway usb-card. When connected to an AmigaOne however, strange buzzing noises might appear when using Warp3D.

@T_Bone: One possiblity might be vocalist of a rap band. I wonder what your children will say about it.

Last edited by polka. on 03-Apr-2006 at 01:20 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 15:26:54
#26 ]

@salteadorneo

Quote:
For HighEnd I do understand some higher processor specifications... A G3 or a G4 to 800Mhz minimum?

If you say "higher end than the 5200 (PV A1200)" it means that you define "PV A1200 = high end" and everything above 466Mhz (wow!) as "higher-end".
It could mean virtually anything >466Mhz.

Personally, I frigging don't care about speed anymore. It just needs to be reasonably priced, available either stand-alone or for my A1200 and ACK should release it preferably THIS YEAR. Arrg. Otherwise I don't see much hope for OS4.
We need cheap entry-level hardware, quick! Doesn't matter if you call it high-end, low-end or dead-end.

Last edited by polka. on 03-Apr-2006 at 03:27 PM.

d0c 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 15:41:37
#27 ]
Cult Member

good to hear something from the ack... but i still dont believe it before i see it.... if it will be released i will get one for my a1200 :)

redfox 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 16:11:25
#28 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Its good to hear some news. I'll be happy to see any version of the PowerVixxen.

---
redfox

--edit, removed silly remark--

Last edited by redfox on 03-Apr-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 16:48:52
#29 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@Thread

It is nice to see somthing positive for a change, but it does look like my A1200 will have to keep its '040 for a little while longer. Still A3/4K users will have a chance at OS4.

wizz.

polka. 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 17:02:36
#30 ]

@Wizzard_o
Quote:
It is nice to see somthing positive for a change, but it does look like my A1200 will have to keep its '040 for a little while longer.

The news is only positive for A3k/A4k owners, since they also might get a Powervixxen at an undefined point in time. Or am I missing something? Ok, it's positive to see that Adam is still alive.

Apart from that:

- there is a major setback due to lacking A1200 CPU connectors, Adam has been unable to locate some of them so far

- the "standalone aspect" is not "polished" yet, probably needing some further design/testing

Adam's "Powervixxen is in production, docs are being polished up" statement in December sounded very different from the above. Now I don't see too much hope that I will see either PV nor Amy before end of 2006/beginning of 2007.
And some people here talk about "Momentum" and "we need to wait with the release of OS4 Classic, otherwise all the Momentum is gone!" Oh well...
Get some new OS4-users/developers on the bandwagon NOW. No reason to wait, or they'll be gone.

Last edited by polka. on 03-Apr-2006 at 05:03 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 17:15:19
#31 ]
Elite Member

@polka.
While it was nice of Adam to answer some questions, yeah, I pretty much agree 100% with your comments above. While it's always true we might be 'surprised' at some point, this market really doesn't have much history of those surprises being positive ones.

When/if a standalone version becomes available, I'll gladly buy one.

I still understand and agree with the 'wait for classic release,' but I am seriously hoping Hyperion's 'backup plan' is coming close to fruition...

mpiva 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 18:01:29
#32 ]

@lavo

Quote:

Why doesn't Adam just ditch the classic host and get the board into production as a standalone board, seeing as that part (from the above conversation) seems to be ready?

Based on wegster's comment ("Somewhere after the above, Adam seemed to indicate Hyperion has, or is allowed to license, classic expansions. "), I suspect there's licensing issues for the standalone version but not for classic expansions.
GRRRR AmigaINC!

On the other hand, as an A4000T owner, I'm happy to hear the news about A3/4k

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 18:16:44
#33 ]
Elite Member

@mpiva
Quote:
I suspect there's licensing issues for the standalone version but not for classic expansions.

Exactly. That's also what you can read on the Amiga Inc. website:
Quote:
AmigaOne Partners have the right to distribute AmigaOS 4.0 into the AmigaOne desktop computer market and into Cyberstorm PPC enabled devices. Distribution into any other market or device requires a licensing and distribution agreement with Amiga, Inc.

I think "Cyberstorm PPC" also includes other PPC expansions for Amiga Classic hardware.
But don't take it for granted, there is other blatantly wrong information on the very same page:
Quote:
Now scheduled for commercial release in early 2005, AmigaOS 4.0...

CodeSmith 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 18:31:14
#34 ]
Elite Member

@lavo

Quote:

lavo wrote:
Its amazing that we get a thread with some positive news, and there are only 2 comments. Yet, someone posts something negative, and there are hundreds of posts. Go figure!

It's pretty simple - no-one really believes it. The last bit of information ACK employees leaked on IRC ("the boards are in production" in the Hyperion interview) proved to be just noise, so why should this be any different?

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 19:53:44
#35 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

I can't see the positive news either. In late December we got told that the "Powervixxen is in production". Now we get told that major parts are missing. Huh?

Further, he told us "Regarding CPU modules for the A1 boards....expect an anouncement shortly.". Maybe after the A4k, A3k and A1200 Powervixxen have been finished, so somewhere in 2007?
An attitude which looks pessimistic now could turn out as being realistic in the end.

If there is none of the "secret hardware projects" releasing anything very soon, the whole OS4 situation will even look worse.

Seehund 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 19:55:02
#36 ]

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@mpiva
Quote:
I suspect there's licensing issues for the standalone version but not for classic expansions.

Exactly. That's also what you can read on the Amiga Inc. website:
Quote:
AmigaOne Partners have the right to distribute AmigaOS 4.0 into the AmigaOne desktop computer market and into Cyberstorm PPC enabled devices. Distribution into any other market or device requires a licensing and distribution agreement with Amiga, Inc.

I think "Cyberstorm PPC" also includes other PPC expansions for Amiga Classic hardware.
But don't take it for granted, there is other blatantly wrong information on the very same page: ...

That seems to be one of the few things that are correct on the site. And why would they lie and keep lying about that? To make themselves and everything about AmigaOS look worse than it is?

"As a result, AmigaOS4 and all future versions will ship only on those hardware products to which Amiga Inc has specifically granted a license after reviewing the capabilities of both the solution provider and their product. The only exclusion to this policy is a temporary measure to support the community members who have invested heavily in existing PPC accelerators and will cover products where an Amiga manufactured or licenced Kickstart ROM is present (for instance A1200/A3000/A4000)."

Emphasis mine, the text goes on to explicitly list "AmigaOnes", CS-PPCs and BlizzardPPCs as the only hardware that AOS4 will "currently" (020412) be sold for.
http://amigapop.8bit.co.uk/041202-mcewen-cache.html

Last edited by Seehund on 03-Apr-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Last edited by Seehund on 03-Apr-2006 at 07:56 PM.

A3000T 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 20:06:25
#37 ]
Cult Member

@createcoms

> Disappointed to hear the A3/4K version will be higher spec'd than the
> A1200 version. Come on just because originally the 1200 was the budget
> machine doesn't mean it's that way now.

High end CPU boards tend to need more power and bigger heatsinks. This may be a problem for the A1200.

An other problem is that A1200 users tend to have less money available for their hobby then A3/4000 users. A lot of A1200 users can't afford a high end CPU upgrade.

Kind regards,

Dennis

CodeSmith 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 20:07:06
#38 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
In late December we got told that the "Powervixxen is in production". Now we get told that major parts are missing. Huh?

Exactly. Either the boards were not in fact in production in January (unless you start arguing semantics on what "in production" really means), or they started a manufacturing run before having all the parts on hand. I can't believe they'd do the second one (unless that happens to be a common practice in the hardware manufacturing world?), so it looks like someone jumped the gun with the "in manufacturing" statement. Of course, the IRC chat wasn't an official communication from the company, so we can't really complain about that. On the other hand, this latest statement was also just a comment on IRC, so I'm choosing not to trust that either.

amipal 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 20:07:16
#39 ]

@Seehund

Quote:
Emphasis mine, the text goes on to explicitly list "AmigaOnes", CS-PPCs and BlizzardPPCs as the only hardware that AOS4 will "currently" (020412) be sold for.
http://amigapop.8bit.co.uk/041202-mcewen-cache.html

And it was written nearly a full four years ago: April 12th, 2002...

Last edited by amipal on 03-Apr-2006 at 08:08 PM.

hatschi 
Posted on 3-Apr-2006 20:12:36
#40 ]
Elite Member

@amipal

Quote:
And it was written nearly a full four years ago: April 12th, 2002...

Apart from the mentioned accelerators which apparently completely vapourized I can't see a reason why the statement shouldn't be valid anymore. The contract is still in place.

"We have also been approached by and are currently in negotiation with the following companies for the licencing of the AmigaOS to allow for a combined hardware and software solution:
* The Shark card by Elbox
* PPC accelerator cards for the Prometheus by Matay
* Merlancia Industries MMC Toro Series" < ---

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle