Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 Hypex:  24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  51 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Lazi:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 QBit:  3 hrs ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Site Announcements
      /  Site traffic grows at an alarming rate
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: Site traffic grows at an alarming rate
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 19:23:18
#21 ]
Elite Member

Of course everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But is AmigaWorld the right place to advertise his petition each time he posts to an AmigaOS4/AmigaOne topic, like he does at various other places already?

I believe most people have heard of his petition by now. No need to brainwash us, IMO.

But if not enough other people are bothered with his 'advertising', I won't take action.

Profile     Report this post  
SvenHarvey 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 19:41:48
#22 ]
Cult Member

Excellent

Go AmigaWorld, go!

You know, I feel an article coming on....

Kay 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 20:32:39
#23 ]

> Of course everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But is AmigaWorld the right place to
> advertise his petition each time he posts to an AmigaOS4/AmigaOne topic, like he does at various
> other places already?
>
> I believe most people have heard of his petition by now. No need to brainwash us, IMO.

I believe EVERYONE has heard of it, many times, including AInc.

> But if not enough other people are bothered with his 'advertising', I won't take action.

You shouldn't do it preemptively, anyway. If he really wants to hang out around here, let's give him a chance.

Kay

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 21:06:57
#24 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
You shouldn't do it preemptively, anyway. If he really wants to hang out around here, let's give him a chance.

Well, he submitted his petition website here a couple of days ago, which I added to our links archive. Later within a few hours his website "received" over 150 hits, jumping onto the frontpage in the Top Links area located to the left. After this, ordinary traffic resumed, which is 1 hit every couple of hours at most. It is obvious that the hits count was being spoofed by someone, so I decided to remove his website from our archives.

Any such behaviour worries me alot.

gemini 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 21:26:09
#25 ]
Cult Member

The only real thing that annoyies me with sigs is if they are really long! I mean who wants to have to download a 1k sig everytime that person posts!

unclecurio 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 21:30:25
#26 ]

@Hmetal

What a bizarre thread! That's why I rarely posted over there. There was a high chance my comments would get lost in a thread which I simply would not be interested in reading (I got through two pages of that one and gave up!)

I agree that firm moderation is an essential. People will get upset along the way and accusations of censorship will abound at times but it's the only fair way to keep the place in order.

Bizarrely, it seems that silencing the lunatics lets the rest of us talk more freely. Censorship = Open Discussion. Weird equation!!

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 21:51:16
#27 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
I agree that firm moderation is an essential.

No rules or no rule enforcement can result to anarchy.

Quote:
Bizarrely, it seems that silencing the lunatics lets the rest of us talk more freely. Censorship = Open Discussion. Weird equation!!

I would not call genuine and consistent moderations a form of censorship. In ordinary life, if someone breaks the law, they will get punished if they are caught. If they repeatably break the law, they will likely end up in jail.

I see moderators as "website police", who try to enforce the rules at the given website.

unclecurio 
Posted on 11-Mar-2003 21:55:40
#28 ]

Quote:
I would not call genuine and consistent moderations a form of censorship. In ordinary life, if someone breaks the law, they will get punished if they are caught. If they repeatably break the law, they will likely end up in jail.

Personally I'd agree - just taking an alternative view for comic (debatable I know!) effect.

HMetal 
Posted on 12-Mar-2003 3:59:34
#29 ]

Quote:

unclecurio wrote:
@Hmetal
I agree that firm moderation is an essential. People will get upset along the way and accusations of censorship will abound at times but it's the only fair way to keep the place in order.

I agree that over-moderation can result in those types of accusations but it is for the better and it keeps your site "constituency" happy. In that case you are being a proper moderator and applying the same standards to all sides of the situation and any others that arise.

This is where the other sites fail and why the membership/participation dwindles. I know this for a fact as I've seen it happen on more occasions than I can count on 2 hands and 2 feet, when I was the developer of CNet Amiga Professional BBS software. Unless you are a sucker for punishment and revel in conflict (like many of those do on a few of Amigaworld.net's peer "news sites" and forums), then it just gets too out of hand and no one cares to read it anymore. The topics end up being short, spoiled topics full of the same old nonsense regurgitated over and over. It gets to a point where it becomes boring and not worthy of the wasted time.

When someone posts to a topic and drags it off topic, such as the thread I mentioned previously, it just becomes a joke. I notice that Wayne has locked the topic now, but it's too late, the topic is already ruined by those who, instead of letting the person research using facts alone, interject their opinions and competitive solutions. What a waste!

What the moderators really need for those cases is the ability and the conviction to break that off-topic post into a new topic and e-mail the poster, informing them most politely to, in the future, start a new topic instead of posting a severely off-topic or unrelated message to an existing topic.

--
Ray A. Akey (AKA HMetal) - Designer / Photographer
http://www.phofan.com - Photography Fan Community Forums

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle