Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Swisso:  23 mins ago
 amigakit:  25 mins ago
 AndreasM:  46 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 rzookol:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  5 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4 Video is now online
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
OS4 Video is now online
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 8:44:53
# ]

EDIT: For those requiring an mpeg version
A 24Mb file is available from
ANTOS4 Video (MPEG)

At last, It's done !

ANTOS4 Video (19Mb)

It's a Window Media File for the moment, I'll upload an Mpeg version tonight.

This is the video of OS4 running on AmigaOne at the Amiga North Thames meeting in conjuction with SEAL.

I'll explain what's going on in the video:

Bear in mind that this is an Alpha version and things may change, there were the odd crash and lockup, which have been edited out of the video, all of the crashes I witnessed are known problems and will be fixed, remember Alpha Version ! not perfect (YET!)

After the scrolly introductions, you can see the ANT logo that was posted on the door outside the meeting that I eventually found, telling me that I was in the right place

We then see the AmigaOne itself for a moment, before showing the UBoot booting into OS4.
At this point there is a 45 second delay as the OS is still booting from a networked laptop, (the delay is not shown of course ) In the final version this will be much faster once the full boot from HD is finalised.

Now we see OS4, a very uncluttered affair, now it's booted, we load up SimpleMail to prove that it works !

Now we try PhotoGenics, of which there is a known problem, which causes a Guru requester, and on clicking for more information, we get to see the Grim Reaper showing details of the crash, as you can see you can kill the task, memory is freed and we can continue with our work.

What shall we try next ?,, OK, let's open up the Prefs drawer (Ahem, that's Folder for all you WIndows persons) Hmm, that loads fast, don't forget the IDE drivers are not completed yet, so this is not full speed yet, but VERY usable .

What we seen next is the TCP/IP settings, where you can change you errm, well TCP/IP settings, like the rest of AMigaOS, it's fast, as soon as you click something, something happens, no camera trickery here !

OK, we've had enough of the simple AmigaOS 4 backdrop, let's change it. A few mouse clicks and we're done. Hmm, Nice clouds

Time to PLAY, let's load up Quake:
We open up the CLI, and type a couple of commands to get it going, OK, I know that you can write an IconX script to get it running, but noone's bothered yet

I have to confess to a little bit of trickery here, Sicky is in the driving seat here IIRC, but for all his abilities in getting all this to work for us, is not the fastest at typing in the world, hey, he's not that bad, but I've speeded the video up a little to save you falling asleep before he finishes typing

A requester pops up for the screenmode, click OK and quake is running, and I mean WHEN you click OK, Quake is running, no long delay while it loads !

(There is a short delay when loading new levels, some debug info gets sent to the serial port, slowing things down (not shown) but that will be fixed !

Enough Quake already !!!!!!

Let's see some productivity :
A paint package I can't remeber the name of, this is running under 68K emulation, so while still very fast, not as fast as a PPC native program would be, but still very usable.

This fades away to reveal OS4 again, where we have a quick play with the background colour prefs, what a horrible choice of colours for the gradient, but it shows how it works, very quick and responsive !

All too soon, it's all over.

I'm left feeling I WANT OS 4 NOW !

Hope you enjoyed the show !

Report this post  
xeron 
Re: OS4 Video is now online
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 9:22:53
#2 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

Cool video I can't wait to get my hands on OS4!

Profile     Report this post  
Jamie_S 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 11:20:25
#3 ]
Cult Member

Great video! OS 4 looks really impressive even in this unfinished Alpha form!

Montag 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 12:26:19
#4 ]

Yes, thanks Paul! It's a great video.

KimmoK 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 12:29:46
#5 ]
Elite Member

a few suggestions for the video:
- add information about what tools were used for the video
- also explanations what is being done (scrolltext for example) would be nice on the video

Otherwise GREAT! and thanks!

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 14:31:52
# ]

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
a few suggestions for the video:
- add information about what tools were used for the video
- also explanations what is being done (scrolltext for example) would be nice on the video

Otherwise GREAT! and thanks!

Nice suggestions, it was a bit of a rushed job to get it done in a resonable time, adding scrolly text would be nice, which I could do, but I wanted to get something out reasonably quickly. Also adding more features ti the video would have made the file size larger, something I was trying to avoid for a downloadable version.

As for tools used to do the job.

Video taken using a Samsung Digital video camera, recording onto DV tape.
The camera has DV out so I link the camera upto a PC (spit, boo, hss, but it's all I have for now )
The video is edited using Pinnacle Studio V8, which does all the fancy effects, I then wrote the file out as a Windows Media file and uploaded it to my web server with Windows Explorer (CuteFTP is playing up at the moment)

I have also produced the whole thing as a DVD, which gives much better quality than the compressed media file, but of course that would be a little too big to upload

Report this post  
dimmck 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 15:03:12
#7 ]

Quote:

xeron wrote:
Cool video I can't wait to get my hands on OS4!

Come on. Have a little patience. I can wait at least 3 or 4 days.

But, that's because I'm currently retrieving all my files from my scsi drives using Amithlon.

Dave M.

BobC. 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 15:07:41
#8 ]
Cult Member

The best look at OS4 so far for me and done so quickly too!

The explanation text in your post helped also but I agree some simple text on the video would help even more, still I'm very impressed ..thanks for doing this and sharing it here for us to see!

Bob C.

Oxygenet 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 16:11:06
#9 ]

Hey there,

GREAT work on the video, finally we get to see what it's REALLY like - and I must say I am impressed.

Just think, with it's GFX system how it is now, it's like it's running in windows safemode, so imagine how quick it will be when all the GFX bits are done and the IDE drivers are finished etc ....... this thing is going to burn rubber (And a hole in all our pockets LOL).

Great work. BTW, my dad just sent me over his Pinnacle Studio card/breakout box and software as his machine wasn't fast enough to use it and I have to say it's awesome hardware and software. I updated to the latest software versions which fixes sync problems with analog video and audio, and i've been digitizing all my Only Fools and Horses onto the PC and having a blast doing it

Note to Amiga/Hyperion: We need something like Pinnacle Studio on the Miggy

Chris

Chris_Y 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 16:11:22
#10 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

AmigaOneProductions wrote:
Now we try PhotoGenics, of which there is a known problem, which causes a Guru requester, and on clicking for more information, we get to see the Grim Reaper showing details of the crash, as you can see you can kill the task, memory is freed and we can continue with our work.
[...]
Let's see some productivity :
A paint package I can't remeber the name of, this is running under 68K emulation, so while still very fast, not as fast as a PPC native program would be, but still very usable.
[...]
Hope you enjoyed the show !

Very nice, but if I'm not mistaken, the second paint program is in fact Photogenics (you can just about make out Photogenics and Paul Nolan on the screen titlebar). Either the guruing one is a different program or version, or the Friedens are so efficient that they picked up on the problem and managed to produce a fix and patch the machine while the presentation was in progress despite being in a different country.

I think the latter is more likely.

Chris

sicky 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 16:51:09
#11 ]
Elite Member

@ Chris_Y on

"Very nice, but if I'm not mistaken, the second paint program is in fact Photogenics"

Yes it is, I discovered that if you loaded Photogenics a crash occurs. But if you delete the prefs file and load again it is okay!

I think it is probably the screenmode in the settings that causes the problem, of course once deleted it asks you for a screenmode, and off we go

Zorro 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 16:54:46
#12 ]

Great video, thanks !!!

I, for one, can wait for OS4...

JurassicC 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 17:04:02
#13 ]

Nice Video.... Tried Wipeout yet ?

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 17:07:24
# ]

Well technology has let me down again, can't blame this one on Mr Gates though, my phone line at home has died, which means wont be able to upload the Mpeg version tonight unless the line comes back. I'm writing this from work just to let you know the problem.
Hopefully it will be back online tomorrow.

Report this post  
Troels 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 18:21:45
#15 ]
Elite Member

Thanks AmigaOneProductions, very much appreciated :)

ajs 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 19:41:19
#16 ]

Nice One Paul

Ok who's fingers were getting in the way........come on own up

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2003 20:47:14
# ]

I wish theyd release even a buggy version :(

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 10:38:31
# ]

@AJS

As you can see I'm putting the logo you did for me to good use

Report this post  
Needle 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 11:52:35
#19 ]

Nice video -- Many Thanks for putting that out.
OS4 is looking very lovely indeed, Great work Hyperion! Say, is there any way to make "When It's Done" come a little sooner?? :o)
Kay

pods 
Posted on 13-Nov-2003 12:00:02
#20 ]

This is a large download for me... infact i've tried a few times already.. it seems to keep stoping.. Anyway, i hope the music doesnt add much room to the video because i'd had to be downloading something that doesnt add anything to the whole experience.

I guess it doesnt really matter caues i'll be seeing it in a few days @ the Melbourne show! YeeeHAW!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle