Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  12 mins ago
 Gunnar:  23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  32 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 23 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 32 mins ago
 cncparts:  6 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Poll : Would you use OS4 if it ran on PC boxes/laptops?
Yes, immediately.
Maybe eventually.
No. Never.

PosterThread
jorkany 
Re: [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:04:14
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Carl-S,

We've been through this before, I think more than once actually:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19063&forum=17

Should be interesting to see what the results are this time though!

Profile     Report this post  
mpiva 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:10:30
#22 ]

@Carl-S

I voted "Yes, immediately!"

If it worked on my current PC, GREAT, but even if I had to buy some special proprietary PC, I'd do that too.

I think that's more reasonable. I understand that Hyperion doesn't have the resources to make OS4 work on all hardware configurations. But why couldn't some company make a branded "AmigaPC" that uses X motherboard, Y video card, Z sound card, etc? How would that be different than the situation now except that we'd already have the hardware and it would be cheaper. I fail to see the negative here?

billt 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:11:01
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Carl-S

I would feel great about that.

There's numerous threads on this site discussing OS4 on x86 or Macintosh hardware. It's basically various users occasionally repeating one or the other of these two questions, who not port OS4 to Mac or x86, every time achieving the same response, "no".

Peopl ehave tried bringing more businesslike proposals to the companies regarding Macintosh PPC and Pegasos2 PPC hardware but failed. I don't know if anyone has tried an official business proposal approach for the x86 thing or not, we've only seen the public debates about that so far.

There once was a product named Amithlon that attempted to bring AmigaOS to x86 PCs, it was a minimal Linux kernel thing that was very transparent to teh user running O3.x on top of that. Unfortunately the install CD won't even boot on my AMD64 laptop, and the companies involved had a meltdown some time ago and it's not supported, so I don't expect to be getting any updates allowing me to ever install what I paid for. I'd accept this environemnt if it was available.

I don't much care about the hardware. I'm not quasi-religiously obsessed with PowerPC. O'm not quasi-religiously against x86. The user interface experience is what I'm interested in, and that can be made on any hardware. Some people still carry some obsession with the "custom chip" concept, which really doesn't make sense today. There's no way I believe a single company today could compete simultaneously in all aspects with the likes of AtI/NVidia, Creative labs or Azalia (sound chips), and other off-the-shelf components. Dave Haynie was migrating development architectures to standard PCI when Commodore crashed, and I can't imagine trying to make a new non-standard expansion slot today to compete directly with PCI-Express. Standard hardware is a good thing, and I was very happy to have normal PCI and AGP slots in Eyetech's AmigaOne boards. Other than the CPU, that WAS a standard PC. Seeing how the PowerPC desktop/laptop market is going, I have a hard time being devoted to it, but have tried to operate within that defined boundary because there's currently no choice in the matter.

If OS4 can be available to run on Macintosh hardware, I'd love that. If it can be available for x86 hardware, I'd love that too. If some new PowerPC motherboard or laptop comes out at a reasonable price, I'd love that as well. I'd pretty much given up on any new hardware though considering the complaints in the past year from people trying to license OS4 for their designs and being ignored, but perhaps this Samantha project shows things are changing. I'd like something with a little more performance than Samantha's specs, but it's a first step, and perhaps we'll see more steps after that one.

Carl, if you've got some trick up your sleeve, I look forward to it playing out and seeing what becomes of it.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:15:04
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Carl-S

Yes, that would be excellent for the long run. Having PPC based hardware like the PS3, and older Macs supported wouldn't be bad neither.

I guess some OS4 components will be easier to port to x86 that others (ExecSG and Petunia).

In the meantime it's IMO best to see 'OS4.0 Final' fully supported on the community's own PPC projects (such as the Sam) still under development and the classic PPC expansions. Maybe AmigaOS 4.1?

Insanity 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:15:51
#25 ]

It deserves to be said again:

Apple was small potatoes in the PPC-market. (embedded, consoles, etc).

Would IBM not suck up to their main client?

Would IBM allow their main client to change architecture if their finances were more than just slightly affected by the loss of apple?

PPC is not dead, it's just more hassle to develop for it since there are only a very limited number of designs based on it.

When it comes to Aos4 and platform, I was under the impression that A. Inc had plans to expand AOS4 beyond PPC in the future. Otherwize they are just pissing upwind.

If it ran on a (read: my) IBM PC or compatible I'd try it out for sure. but I won't pay $600 for new hardware when my current rig (2 years old machine) does all I want.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

billt 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:16:23
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Carl-S

If, hypothetically speaking, one were to consider purchasing AmigaOS, consider that Amiga Inc. owns certain things but not all of OS4. One should also talk to Hyperion about such hypothetical things to get the entire hypothetical story before spending any such hypothetical money on anything. Just in case that is a hypothetically possible reason for such a post...

SvenHarvey 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:17:42
#27 ]
Cult Member

I voted for yes immediately even though I dont like x86 architecture as the price-performance ratio is rather unbeatable. However I would prefer something "better".

Insanity 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:18:11
#28 ]

@billt

Strictly Hypothetically speaking that is?

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

Carl-S 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:19:34
#29 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@ the people answering "No. Never."

If someone took a Core 2 duo laptop removed the sticker and put a "PPC" sticker next to the touchpad instead and then handed you a laptop running Amiga OS 4, how could you possible know the difference of what cpu is below the keyboard?

I just had to LOL on this message. Well said.

wegster 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:21:09
#30 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
If, hypothetically speaking, one were to consider purchasing AmigaOS, consider that Amiga Inc. owns certain things but not all of OS4. One should also talk to Hyperion about such hypothetical things to get the entire hypothetical story before spending any such hypothetical money on anything. Just in case that is a hypothetically possible reason for such a post...

Sure, as well as other issues in porting, such as Petunia, the JIT, and the author saying 'will never port to PPC.' But, then again, were someone truly interested in going to purchase or license a port to x86 or other arch, they just might be in it for the long haul, and a replacement would be part of the work to be done..

TrevorDick 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:25:03
#31 ]
Elite Member

We have had this discussion several times over the past couples of years at least! We know clearly where Hyperion stand on this issue form their repeated statements.

I am a committed amigan and want to see new hardware for OS4.0 as much as the next guy, but I hope this is not some simple publicity stunt! I don't want to appear negative but unless something is happening behind the scenes this is just wishfull thinking?

So rather strangely for me I voted "NO" but would have voted maybe if the I belived that this would not detract from the future devlopment of OS4.0.

TrevorDick

Fransexy 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:26:40
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Carl-S

Quote:
Amiga OS 4 ran on a modern PC box/laptop

NO!!!!

Now, if you meant that Amiga uses modern pc hardware that is another story.Maybe the underlaying hardware does not care but the Amiga must have an identity.When you see a Mac you know that is a Mac even if it is power off.So at least the Amiga must have a custom case, keyboard, mice, an identity that people see it and exclaim: look! it´s an Amiga

Seer 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:29:13
#33 ]
Team Member

@TrevorDick

If A Inc wants OS4 ported to X86, it will be.

If it's done by Hyperion and if X86 OS4 would use code from Hyperion is something else.

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:31:50
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

It doesnt have that identity though. Currently we have a PPC mobo in any case you like.. Amiga has no house style or design guidlines that I'm aware of - so your point is moot.

Carl-S 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:33:49
#35 ]

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@Carl-S

If, hypothetically speaking, one were to consider purchasing AmigaOS, consider that Amiga Inc. owns certain things but not all of OS4. One should also talk to Hyperion about such hypothetical things...

That's a common situation. An OS has many parts and various licensing arrangements always must be done. But, don't judge my intent in this test. I'm curious how the community feels. Best not to extrapolate beyond that.

billt 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:34:57
#36 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
If someone took a Core 2 duo laptop removed the sticker and put a "PPC" sticker next to the touchpad instead and then handed you a laptop running Amiga OS 4, how could you possible know the difference of what cpu is below the keyboard?

Wipeout2097 desn't run. Other PPC-native things don't run. PPC-optimized versions of things don't run. Hey, my Ubuntu-PPC LiveCD doesn't boot... What the?!

Now, if there was a respectable PPC emulation as part of the package, things might run. I don't know how well certain things might run that way, and it might give PPC a bad name and change these people's minds, at which point you give them back their original Intel stickers?

AV 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:37:20
#37 ]

@Carl-S

Quote:

Ah... glad you noticed that. It is one of the main reasons for me. (I have several older laptops/tablets here... OS4 would run nicely.)

What if, hypotetically, you could run OS4 on a PPC laptop ?

From a more technical point of view, have you thought of solving the endianess problem
that would plague any legacy application ?

Carl-S 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:38:45
#38 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:
We have had this discussion several times over the past couples of years at least! We know clearly where Hyperion stand on this issue form their repeated statements.

Could you summarize those repeated statements here? I've not seen them. Thanks.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:45:11
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

However I know what @Fransexy means. I would hate for OS4.0 just to end up running on an X86 box under windows! IMHO it much be standaloneand have it's own identity otherwise we may as well stay with an excellent OS3.9 emulated package like Amikit (or similar)

TrevorDick

Last edited by TrevorDick on 26-Oct-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Last edited by TrevorDick on 26-Oct-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 26-Oct-2006 21:50:21
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:

Bobsonsirjonny wrote:
@Fransexy

It doesnt have that identity though. Currently we have a PPC mobo in any case you like.. Amiga has no house style or design guidlines that I'm aware of - so your point is moot.

For that reason I am saying it.Amiga needs and must have an identity like in the past and not be enclosed on another "boring beige" pc-box

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle