Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  14 mins ago
 Karlos:  16 mins ago
 pavlor:  19 mins ago
 OldFart:  55 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Can someone here get prove of the Amiga INC Indian acquisition?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
d0c 
Can someone here get prove of the Amiga INC Indian acquisition?
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 18:42:35
#1 ]
Cult Member

can someone here get prove of the amiga inc Indian acquisition, or is this just another empty place with an address... i dont believe anything of it before i see photo of the place and people working on amiga inc products...

is there anyone here that live in that area of the world that can take pictures and do some detective work??

here is the link to the site...
http://www.amigadevindia.com/

Profile     Report this post  
Tomas 
Re: Can someone here get prove of the Amiga INC Indian acquisition?
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 18:45:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@d0c
They have a phone number, so i suggest that someone call it and see what happens.
I have sadly not seen many people around here that lives in India, so i sadly doubt it is possible to actually visit the place.

Last edited by Tomas on 18-Apr-2007 at 06:46 PM.

d0c 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 18:56:22
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas

there must be at least one from india here, i cant believe there is none. since amiga says they was at the forefront of the tech boom and today is the third most recognized brand.... someone must have an amiga down there...

Last edited by d0c on 18-Apr-2007 at 06:59 PM.

alx 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 19:00:44
#4 ]

@d0c

You can still browse their old website (a simple design but one that A inc might have learned a little from ). It all seems legit and there are other mentions of the company pre-A-inc - this, this etc.

I've never looked into ADI much but, I wonder, given how much more ADI seems to be producing than A Inc, things almost look as if Ruksun made the deal to utilise Amiga's name, rather than A inc using it to get hold of Ruksun technology. I can see Ruksun/ADI as being a big enough company to go through with the Events Centre sponsorship - perhaps they're hoping that the Amiga name and some higher profile advertising will help them expand internationally? All speculation, of course, but at present it's very hard to see where Amiga Inc come into things except as a legal entity. And if things are being run based around ADI, I wonder how that'll impact the future for AmigaOS?

---edit---

Quote:
there must be at least one from india here, i cant believe there is none. since amiga says they was at the forefront of the tech boom and today is the third most recognized brand.... someone must have an amiga down there...

I guess you meant "today is the third most recognized brand in Europe"? I took that as meaning the 3rd most recognised computer brand in Europe. I suppose they mean after "All IBM Compatibles" and Apple, although frankly I'd have thought Linux would be third place nowadays.

Last edited by alx on 18-Apr-2007 at 07:06 PM.

pteppic 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 19:16:43
#5 ]

@alx

Quote:
I guess you meant "today is the third most recognized brand in Europe"? I took that as meaning the 3rd most recognised computer brand in Europe. I suppose they mean after "All IBM Compatibles" and Apple, although frankly I'd have thought Linux would be third place nowadays.

I think that mostly refers to people you mention Amiga to who reply "Amiga? Yeah, cool, I had one of them a decade ago! What do you mean they still exist?"

Tomas 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 19:29:11
#6 ]
Elite Member

@alx
Yes, it sure was a company.. But the thing is that the last news was from 2004 and you have to wonder what they have done in the meantime.
The news from 2004 was when they announced imap force and so on, which says coming soon on amiga.com.

I myself highly doubt this company has that many devs at present time.
But would indeed be very interesting if someone called just to see if someone picks up the phone.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 19:49:33
#7 ]
Cult Member

@d0c

Folks CLUE in here, the company mentioned is an outsourcing company in India that hires out cheap labor from India to US companies. That company works under a number of different names. Amiga is probably just the latest name they have made an agreement with to represent their labor force in the USA.

If you look at that page one of their quotes is from a Lucent Manager of which they still work with as the originally named company.

Personally (IMHO) I don't like these companies because they undercut the wage so much of American workers that it's impossible for price alone to compete with these companies. Workers doing minimum wage at McDonalds here in the USA usually make more money than the average worker over there in one of these outsourcing firms due to their economomy and how much the average person per hour makes.

This whole situation has been repeated many times elsewhere, and that might lead some astute readers to the conclusion that Amiga is just making a cheap labor force available to yet again undercut American workers IT jobs in the USA.

The problem that I see is you get what you pay for. One of my design partners tried to use offsite Indian labor and the quality of what they got back wasn't up to par and because they weren't onsite and the language barrier he wasn't getting the satisfactory results he wanted.

The backlash also comes from them undercutting labor costs in the USA and taking jobs away from American workers all in an effort to make a cheap buck. Most companies that employ an outsourced workforce like this don't like American labor forces and are trying to cut cost to the bone, as cheap as possible..

I am not saying this is what Amiga is doing, I don't know for sure. I was sure disappointed they had an Indian labor force that probably works cheap, when some American workers on this site claim they couldn't pay them what they owe them.

Last edited by DonnieA2 on 18-Apr-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 19:51:18
#8 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2
Well, everyone does it these days...

DonnieA2 
Posted on 18-Apr-2007 20:06:35
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas

Not true at all, in fact that backlash is hitting these companies hard here in Michigan. If they do business with India or one of the outsourcing companies, this fact is being supressed. Mostly because Michigan is a huge manufacturing state who is in a recession (mostly because it votes still as a blue state and the red states one the last two elections and Red cut economic trickle down stuff to blue states that didn't vote with them). Also because there is plenty of good labor and talent here going unused.

There is actually an anti outsourcing press popping up here and elsewhere to protect American jobs due to high unemployment rates.. People who outsource are being targeted as "un-American" and not keeping the jobs here at home and letting the wealth go out of the country as people here start starving all in the name of enhanced profit.

Business is starting to realize if they don't invest at home first and invest in the homegrown resources then they are cutting off their nose to despite their face..

If you need proof of this happening, I can direct you to a number of anti-outsourcing resources on the web and elsewhere.

gary_c 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 4:57:00
#10 ]
Cult Member

@DonnieA2

Quote:
Folks CLUE in here. . . . Amiga is probably just the latest name they have made an agreement with to represent their labor force in the USA.

What the PR releases say is that Amiga, Inc. acquired Ruksun. AFAIK, Ruksun was producing products for release under its own name, such as a WindowsCE IM client called Messenger Force. I'm not aware of any information that Ruksun did outsourcing. But as far as that goes, it doesn't seem like RuksunADI has been very productive or active since the fall of 2003 or so (see link for some background).

Is there any sign of activity from that company since that time? I don't see any new products or web site changes.

My own theory is that Ruksun never recovered from the loss of its main product and shrank to become a shell much like Amiga, Inc. The acquisition was probably pretty cheap and maybe looks good in the Amiga, Inc. portfolio, valuable to bulk up the company for a future sale) but is of little practical value (no products -> no earnings -> no staff).

-- gary_c

DonnieA2 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 6:40:15
#11 ]
Cult Member

@gary_c

Thanks Gary I stand corrected..

I did at the end of my post correctly say that "I am not saying this is what Amiga is doing, I don't know for sure. I was sure disappointed they had an Indian labor force that probably works cheap, when some American workers on this site claim they couldn't pay them what they owe them. "

According to the page:

http://www.amigadevindia.com/html/servicesofferings_workingtogether.htm

I quote: "Working Together

Companies today need to be flexible enough to adapt to the flux in the markets. Successful business houses are adopting innovative and pliable strategies to improve operational efficiency, and achieving cost reductions through outsourcing.
Outsourcing offers you multiple benefits: quicker time to market, greater returns on investment; and consistent quality. However, the selection of a partner with whom to move forward is a critical and sometimes daunting task. Key considerations involve the selection of a partner that provides both technological prowess, as well as extensive experience of successfully completing small and large projects.

ADI has a proven track record in the outsourced application development sector. Our success lies in the ability to leverage long term client relationships through hands-on experience in quality and cost-effective project delivery."

In other words they are an OUTSOURCING company..

Also it's interesting in their practices and writing programs for different platforms they don't even mention AmigaOS 4 as a platform they write and develop software for. I think this is a very interesting omission for an "Amiga" development company.. It just shows a lack of interest in the Amiga market and AmigaOne..

Last edited by DonnieA2 on 19-Apr-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 19-Apr-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Last edited by DonnieA2 on 19-Apr-2007 at 06:41 AM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 10:06:17
#12 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@DonnieA2

Just want to point out that cheapness doesn't always mean poor quality. In fact the notion that Indian labour is a bit dodgy has the slight smell of racism about it. Not that I'm claiming you are a racist. But your sources for this kind of information might be.

India is one of the most advanced countries in the world. I'll remind you that they aquired their own Nuclear technology independant of any other nation and are very high up in other areas of research including medicines, cancer research, etc.

The cheapness comes down to the value of a dollar, not the value of a rupee. What seems cheap in your currency might actually be a good living in India. And the idea that you get the cheapest overseas workforce you can to maximise profits is an not a new American idea - it dates all the way back to the slave trade.

Not intended as a flame. Mearly wishing to counter your earlier post.

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 19-Apr-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 19-Apr-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Google Translate

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 14:14:55
#13 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@d0c
They have a phone number, so i suggest that someone call it and see what happens.
I have sadly not seen many people around here that lives in India, so i sadly doubt it is possible to actually visit the place.

YES! Good Idea! They have a phone number.

I think they will answer any call from us!

- «HELLO? Thiz iz Ruzku... EHM... Thiz iz Amiga India!»

- «Amigaz? Yez! We have plenty of Amigaz here... Amiga 600, Amiga 1200! We have thouzandz of them in our warehouzez! Nobody wantz it. Only Noztalgic Amiganz foolz!»

- «We are pleazed to announce new AmigaOZ 5!»

Last edited by Raffaele on 19-Apr-2007 at 02:15 PM.

GW 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 16:44:40
#14 ]

@DonnieA2

Quote:

There is actually an anti outsourcing press popping up here and elsewhere to protect American jobs due to high unemployment rates.. People who outsource are being targeted as "un-American" and not keeping the jobs here at home and letting the wealth go out of the country as people here start starving all in the name of enhanced profit.

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."
Oscar Wilde

I believe globalisation is good. The consumer wants more bang for their buck and globalisation gives them just that. But more importantly globalisation helps poor countries to become wealthy.

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 17:05:36
#15 ]

@GW

Globalization = using slave labour in poor countries to make the rich ####s richer. Has nothing to do with making poor people exit poverty. Thats my opinion anyway. And I might add it also probably helps to crush the middle classes in countries such as the USA. And the people on top dont want a middle class noonoo .. That takes power away from them ..

Tomas 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 17:25:20
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_DBUG

Quote:
Globalization = using slave labour in poor countries to make the rich ####s richer. Has nothing to do with making poor people exit poverty.

Um, they doubt you would agree if you were living in India. The pay these outsourcing companies pay is actually in most cases quite a bit over the normal wages down there. There is no slavery when you get paid well over what you normally earn for the same kind of job in this said country.

T_Bone 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 17:37:37
#17 ]
Elite Member

@GW

Quote:

GW wrote:
@DonnieA2

Quote:

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."
Oscar Wilde

I believe globalisation is good. The consumer wants more bang for their buck and globalisation gives them just that. But more importantly globalisation helps poor countries to become wealthy.

The US is a poor country (if you're poor and you live here), and I've noticed none of the things the lower economic classes need benefits much from globalization. Education is just as expensive, Medicine and health care is just as expensive, etc, and our economy isn't going to do so well when we're using burgers as currency.

Maybe it would be better if we tried globalization once the trade deficit is dealt with.

ne_one 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 19:54:06
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

lol... would you like some birdy num nums?

Zardoz 
Posted on 19-Apr-2007 20:09:39
#19 ]
Team Member

@GW

Quote:

It does that how? By having companies from richer countries pay them the same wages a local corporation would and not a penny more? I'm not against globalisation but what has been happening in the last few decades has only managed to destroy the local manufacturers in all European countries and *significantly* drop the build quality of most goods. People want more bang for their buck but what they are getting is far less than their money's worth most of the time.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 20-Apr-2007 0:13:49
#20 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

You really didn't read thru what I said, cheapness in the context of what I said is saying low cost. We can't in the USA have workers that get $5 an hour to do IT work. I am just commenting that there is a backlash going on that is extremely visible.

I agree with you that India is a very advanced country and they do have very bright intelligent people. There is nothing wrong with them offering services, but I think the problem in the USA is there is not a level playing field for companies. We weren't given the opportunity to work for lower wages and economically with the inflation rate being what it is, there is no way we can compete for those same jobs.

If you look at the exports/imports trade balance in the USA we are basically importers and we aren't exporting very much in terms of manufactured goods these days, and I do agree it's our own fault specifically our government's for not making trade agreements that gives fair and balanced trade. It doesn't make it any easier though if you have to live here and half of the people you know are out of work and the government is kinda ignoring that fact and not helping it along.

My comments were just stating a fact, there is a backlash going on here, because so many people are out of work from doing the things they were trained to do. It's not being "Racist" to comment and say it's going on.. Also it's doubtful that the sources I am talking about are racist, unless you consider the United Auto Workers Union, Teamsters and others including the AFL/CIO..

Even with a Republican Congress going on in 2004 the "Defending American Jobs Act of 2004" bill was introduced in congress..

For more info check here

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1543345,00.asp

And to be fair, the same thing has happened in the EU too. Local manufacturing jobs are being lost.

So please consider reading through my posting more carefully. I am not against globalization, but the other countries who are making the most from it are protecting their business and industry from imports. China being the number one of these..

I think things should be fair and balanced. It's a shame that my friend can no longer get a help desk job and he'd make more money working at the local mcdonald's (if they had a job for him). I just think things should be fair and balanced for everyone everywhere, including Europe and everywhere else.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle