Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 74 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  24 mins ago
 clint:  30 mins ago
 vox:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Underground Arcade - New Amiga games company
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Beamish2040 
Re: Underground Arcade - New Amiga games company
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 14:25:25
#21 ]

@TheDaddy

It would be a nice case to put a minimig in.

Two A2000's with no working harddrives.
One Efika with MorphOS 2.2
One HP Netbook running Amikit.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 15:03:25
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Rebel-CD32

Whey nice and all, when write your games, please avoid CIA timers and stick strictly to timer.device, and please provide an option for AHI, and support 8/16/24 bit screen modes (Picasso96 or Cyber graphics), optional keyboard or joy stick support, if you do I think your games might work on all Amiga systems including the new systems.

And please test the games whit enforcer, if you write the games in C I might recompile the games for AmigaOS4 for you, note it’s possible to combine Assembler code and C code, if you need too optimize some thing, on faster computer there is most likely no need too.

Rebel-CD32 
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 18:20:54
#23 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I'm not a coder myself, but if we do get any coders onboard, I'll make sure they read this. I'd love to have as many games ported to all Amiga systems as possible.

For the game we're working on now, we're using Backbone, the platform game engine. Unfortunately that means the games will only run in PAL or NTSC and use the Amiga's native audio. There will be options for Joystick, Control Pad and Keyboard controls though.

Sidewinder 
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 19:14:12
#24 ]

@Rebel-CD32

Where do I sign up? I'd like to offer my help as a coder. Although I'm currently heavily involved in writing Mattahias BASIC, I'd certainly like to contribute where I'm able. I can help with C/C++, Assembly, and BASIC (AMOS or Blitz).

Last edited by Sidewinder on 17-Oct-2007 at 07:20 PM.

SvenHarvey 
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 20:25:44
#25 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Is there any point putting any effort into developing anything for OS4 any more - seriously will anyone ever going to be able to buy OS4 outside of the few classics with functioning PPC cards and the few owners of still functioning A1s? If Hyperion Entertainment win Amiga Inc, will go after anyone trying to make hardware, if Amiga, inc win OS4 will be glossed over in move to OS5. For the moment the classics - or more appropriately Minimig and Clone A/CloneAA? should be the target, with OS4 being an option... well if it becomes an option!

I would probably suggest targetting the A500 with enhanced version for vanilla A1200s and the CD32 with features where appropriate to take advantage of faster processors/RAM just as games like The Settlers did.

PS - Rebel-CD32 - the Avataar - that's just Prime!

Last edited by SvenHarvey on 17-Oct-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 17-Oct-2007 21:45:14
#26 ]
Elite Member

@SvenHarvey

Quote:
I would probably suggest targetting the A500 with enhanced version for vanilla A1200s and the CD32 with features where appropriate to take advantage of faster processors/RAM just as games like The Settlers did.

Ideally software should be system friendly with RTG support so that OS4/MorphOS users can use it too. MorphOS and OS4 can fall back on EUAE for hardware hitting stuff if necessary, although that may pose problems for future users with lower spec systems than Pegasos and AmigaOne.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 9:57:11
#27 ]

@Rebel-CD32

If you are going to be one of the few, if any, Amiga games development teams or companies, can you think of things you can do that would further associate you to the platform?

For instance, would not AmiArcade, AmiGames or some sort of derivation that associates you to the Amiga platform be more appropriate as a name.

As Nintendo has Mario and Sega had Sonic, is there a character or range of characters that you could centre your games around, as sort of a rallying point for the platform. For instance, as an idea, could you collaborate or get the rights to some of Eric Swartz's characters or popular Amiga game characters of the past.

You could then have a range of games and genres focused around these groups of characters. This would not only allow you to share and improve upon graphical artifacts and themes between games, but it could lead to a rise in popularity of these characters and assist in garnering developer talent.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 10:07:40
#28 ]

@Rebel-CD32

To speed up development of several games from different developers, would it not serve to keep a repository of graphical artifacts that developers could share.

That way the artists do not necessarily need to create separate graphics for different games, or even focus on a particular game, and they can improve upon the graphics from past games as well.

Having a compendium of either graphical artifacts or 3d models could go a long way to getting Developer attention and have them join your effort.

Musicians could create music, jingles and sound effects that could be used in not just one but several games, at the developers discretion.

If you went the 3d route, for instance, you could create one or several themed 3d worlds that could be used by different games of different genres.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 10:25:27
#29 ]

@Rebel-CD32

it could be amusing to make games which are a mash-up of genres or a parody.

A platformer that suddenly becomes a shooter, and then a beat-em-up.
Or cameo appearances by popular game characters.
If they're from existing Amiga games or reminiscent of characters from another platform it would be fun to make them the baddies or make fun of them somehow.
Like, for instance, maybe the shadow of the beast character as an end of level baddie.

Create games with a twist. Like perhaps you eat a magic mushroom, balloon to towering height and get to stomp on Mario like characters. Maybe you get to play the baddie in the game and be the evil villain. Maybe you have to keep characters from saving the princess. Maybe you have to shoot the innocent, sort of like what I imagine the game "Destroy all Humans" to be about.

Be different, because in my opinion it's not worth doing if it's just the same formula, and it would set you apart.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 10:41:02
#30 ]

@Rebel-CD32

Maybe you should release your games in parts rather than sequels. Then you could get customers to make micropayments. Maybe you could tell a story through the parts of the game, and get people to want to tune into the next installment. Maybe the story could even be made up via audience participation or maybe even bounties.

Maybe games could be a parody of current events and concerns. Like you have to collect all the trash, or somehow prevent global warming by shutting down factories or something. If you aren't shy of politics maybe you could bring in political figures or maybe even members of the community as characters.

Maybe you could make a red vs blue game, that makes fun of the platform war and has lots of in-jokes. Something that is pertinant to our current platform situation.

Beamish2040 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 10:50:51
#31 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
As Nintendo has Mario and Sega had Sonic, is there a character or range of characters that you could centre your games around, as sort of a rallying point for the platform. For instance, as an idea, could you collaborate or get the rights to some of Eric Swartz's characters or popular Amiga game characters of the past.

Maybe naming the girl in the Halloween game Agnus would be a good start?

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 10:55:17
#32 ]

@Beamish2040

Quote:
Maybe naming the girl in the Halloween game Agnus would be a good start?

And then after she ate all the candy she could become Fat Agnus.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 18-Oct-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Varthall 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 11:09:55
#33 ]

@SvenHarvey

Quote:

SvenHarvey wrote:
If Hyperion Entertainment win Amiga Inc, will go after anyone trying to make hardware, if Amiga, inc win OS4 will be glossed over in move to OS5.

If I understand correctly, you mean that Amiga Inc. would try to block production of any hardware which would get the licence for OS4 from Hyperion? And for the other option, has Amiga Inc. declared that it's going to ditch OS4 if he wins the cause?

Varthall

Beamish2040 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 11:17:50
#34 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
And then after she ate all the candy she could become Fat Agnus.

I think we are on the same page. Another game could be named something like AmiTeam Super Force which would be made up of Agnus, Gary, Paula, and Denise. The team is a secret branch of the CIA.

Beamish2040 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 11:22:35
#35 ]

@Beamish2040

Actually it would be better if they left the CIA and are now battling against them.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 15:04:11
#36 ]

@Beamish2040

I think our super heroes the AmiTeam Super Force or as I like to call them, "The Custom Chips", should be robots or maybe bionic. They are only able to access their super powers when they encounter certain objects. Like Mario and the mushroom.

Their goal should be to rid the world of Windows machines. (oh and they're on the run from the CIA)

They encounter all sorts of puzzles and need to use their super powers to solve them.
Agnus's super power is to propell herself super fast (like a blitter).
When she eats stuff she gets fatter and ironically faster. (super fat agnus)
It gets hard to fit through spaces when she's so fat.

Denise can:
Double her size to reach high objects (by interlacing herself)
Shoot sprites from her arms to kill her enemies. (only 8 at a time of course)
She can freeze time temporarily via her hold and modify power. (things start getting fuzzy but really colourful)

Paula is the brains of the outfit and the only one allowed to speak.
She is the only one allowed to pick up objects and store them.

Gary is in charge of locomation. He drives a bus to get the crew past obstacles and between levels. When Gary picks up a dress he becomes Gayle, one of the girls, and can access his/her super power.

Something like that.... I probably got the functionality all wrong.
Hmmm... I dunno..... This is starting to get weird.

Beamish2040 
Posted on 18-Oct-2007 15:21:22
#37 ]

@BigBentheAussie

The beginning story and animation could start out with the “Custom Chips” battling and defeating a small group of clones controlled by the shadowy “Gates” organization. The “Gates” organization, using its political pull, has the AmiTeam Super Force labeled as a terrorist organization. Shortly there after, the CIA sends out two of its top agents to destroy the “Custom Chips”.

Rebel-CD32 
Posted on 20-Oct-2007 0:22:25
#38 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Man... that's a lot to reply to.

First of all, have you been following me and my girlfriend around when we've been discussing ideas for our games and the company? I swear we've got a lot of the same ideas here. Central to our company/team will be our forum, which will have a depository of game-related crap. Anyone who has written a bit of code, composed some unused mods, made some sound effects, 3D models, or any artwork that hasn't been seen or used previously can dump it there for anyone else within the group to use or adapt to their own projects (as long as it's for Amiga). This includes unfinished game projects too, so if someone wanted to finish off a game that someone else gave up on, they could.

I myself can't code, but we've got a few coders signing up. I've been doodling around with pixels in Deluxe and Personal Paint for years though, so I'd mainly handle sprites and tiles, as well as helping with ideas and game design and story.

On the team forum we have a Development section, where each new game idea can have its own thread. You can introduce your idea, show examples, and ask what everyone else thinks. If one of the other guys likes an idea, they could agree to help out with it. I want to encourage people to share their ideas freely and help out whenever they can.

The name Underground Arcade came about because the original name, Amiga Arcade, just sounded a little bit too fanboyish. We wanted a name that could stick around for a while, and possibly expand onto other platforms. Not PC though, if people want to play our games on a PC, they can use an emulator. It's also because we wanted the name and logo to make you feel nostalgic, like you're back in a gritty, oldschool arcade back in the 80s, perhaps down a dark alley and downstairs somewhere that only a few of the other kids know about. It also kind of describes the Amiga movement, which these days seems like an underground cult.

I think the mini-game, micro-payment idea is cool, it's similar to what we were planning on anyway. Some of the smaller games or installments will be free, but we'll charge a small PayPal donation for the full installments. We plan on reusing some of the characters in several games, for example the girl in the Halloween game is going to have all sorts of themed adventures. Look out for a Christmas demo down the track.

An idea I've had for a while that we've been developing in our heads will involve an environmental message too, although aimed at kids. I don't want to give too much away because I'm paranoid about having ideas stolen (I swear I came up with half the good shows on TV before they came out, basted spy satelites!).

Another idea, the one about an Amiga themed game, that's another one we've been thinking about. Some other dude came up with a similar idea based around Zelda style gameplay (or Speris Legacy/Legends style). You'd go around and meet a bunch of classic Amiga game characters, some you'd battle, some would help you out.

We really REALLY would like to come up with a character who could be a mascot for Amiga games, like Sonic and Mario. Attempts have been made in the past, like with Zool, Superfrog, James Pond... but since all those games were ported to other systems it never worked out. Should our mascot be human, a cute animal, a robot?

Please join our forum and spin your ideas over there, this is the kind of thinking we need. And the more people we have dedicated to the cause, the more, better games we'll have. If people want to join, please PM me for the URL (I don't want to post it around, just to prevent spam).

Cheers, guys.

Last edited by Rebel-CD32 on 20-Oct-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Rebel-CD32 
Posted on 31-Oct-2007 15:01:19
#39 ]

Here's a message from Moya about her game...

Hey everyone!

Here's a little Halloween gift for everyone. We only decided to make it two weeks ago, so it's a little rushed, the graphics and music will be finished off by the time the full game comes out, but here's a little demo of our new game, Halloween Nightmare.

http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/HalloweenNightmareDemo.lha

It should run on most Amigas with a hard drive, but extra RAM and a faster CPU will help speed it up since it was made in Backbone (a game engine based around Amos routines).

I hope you like it!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Love from Moya

lionstorm 
Posted on 31-Oct-2007 20:03:22
#40 ]

@Rebel-CD32

thanks and lot for this Halloween gift !

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle