Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
32 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kremlar:  9 mins ago
 Rob:  13 mins ago
 Gunnar:  22 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  35 mins ago
 clint:  41 mins ago
 vox:  48 mins ago
 pixie:  59 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Anywhere 2.0 SDK
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Amiga Anywhere 2.0 SDK
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 14:41:10
#81 ]
Elite Member

@fleecy

I would like to remind you and Bill of the Developer's Project Forum here on AW:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21443&forum=42&10

You are free to start a thread here, and post updates/additional info when you choose to. It is also a way to keep all factual information in one place, since information in normal threads tends to get lost in short order.

Profile     Report this post  
ChrisH 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 14:45:52
#82 ]
Elite Member

@fleecy
Could you please clarify what kind of functions the SDK currently supports? Because so far the brief reports seem to indicate only basic graphics & sound functionality - no GUI, no file I/O, let alone any "persistance", no fancy frameworks, no nothing. Not even any Virtual Machine. SDL seems to provide far more, for rather more platforms (even ported to GP2X & Mac OS X already), so why use AA2?

After all the hyper (and some half-decent stuff seen in AA1), so far AA2 looks to be an extreme disappointment. If this is all that has been achieved after several years, and Bill's unbelievable "better than OS X" claims, it seems safe to say that Amiga (Inc) is dead, and we should all move on. Not that I was expecting great things, but for some reason I was still *hoping* that AA2 might full-fill some of what you originally outlined for Amiga Anywhere back in 2000 or so.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:03:18
#83 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
Linnar, when will we see your first AA2 app released to the public?

I programming a big business software to a company for the moment. It's take time to next winter. After that I have a translatingsoftware (?!) to uppdate.
Then I wait for a EDI to AA2 SDK. Thereafter I maybee programing some software to AA2. Not a game "only" software.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:08:33
#84 ]
Cult Member

@Beamish2040
Quote:
I find it a little frustrating that I can only compile for windows and wince

Uou can stop the frustrating. AA2 come to other system to!

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is going to compete with all of the other alternatives out there

Don't worry! AA2 SDK is very easy to programming with, mutch more easier than other system I see. It's easier then the old good AMOS.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:11:53
#85 ]
Cult Member

@Zardoz
Quote:
So, what makes it different from SDL or even Allegro? How is it better that either of them?

Sorry but I can't ansver.

wegster 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:14:18
#86 ]
Elite Member

@fleecy
It's interesting to see someone from AI posting, but obviously there are many things you could have chosen to address:
- AA2 on OS4 as Garry H stated, or as 'another OS'
- Bill and his 'better than OSX' - I think we're all simply speechless on him even making that statement, but from current info, how does AA2 differ from SDL, from PyGame, etc? In other words, what BENEFIT does it provide to developers that would make them willing to use it at all? AA at least did have the binary portability going for it, like Java and others in that respect, but while time moves on, AA2 just seems to be stepping backwards without any compelling advantages. Please clarify if you think otherwise.

Plaz 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:15:32
#87 ]

@Leo

Quote:
Guess it's high time to let the Amiga die slowly...

Hobbies don't die... they ebb and tide, ebb and tide.

Plaz

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:32:06
#88 ]
Cult Member

@Leo
Quote:
AA2 is just a cygwin shell with GCC & AA2 libs + cross compiler btw: no IDE, no debugger... I wonder where they think they can go without these components...

IDE is coming, Amiga Hires Jamie Krueger!
Krueger's old site:
http://bitbybitsoftwaregroup.com/index.php
Quote:
no debugger

In the manual:
"• gdb - the GNU Debugger
– The GNU Debugger is currently used to debug Amiga Anywhere applications."
Quote:
Not to mention SDL supports 3D & Network... Something AA lib does not...

You don't know if is coming...or?
I programming in C and my tool have not a 3D lib but I do 3D graphic without 3D lib. The moust of gamingprogrammer do it self or have make the own 3D lib.
Quote:
Guess it's high time to let the Amiga die slowly... and move on to something else... No one will ever do something of it now...

If you let the Amiga die slowly in your mind it's Your thing!

Last edited by linnar on 16-Feb-2008 at 03:39 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:33:43
#89 ]
Cult Member

@ghauber

Quote:

ghauber wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
I have coding some in AA2. It's use C. I don't think the compiler work's with C++.

I've been coding using AA2 since late last year - and I can assure you the compiler works with C++! All my AA2 code is C++, in fact.

Sorry, I have wrong, I see it later!

linnar 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 15:46:15
#90 ]
Cult Member

It's a very good tree!
All of You posting is very good messages!
I take of the hat!!!

Fleecy come her to!
It's becuse the high quqlity in this tree, I think!
Welcome Fleecy!

soft 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 16:10:43
#91 ]

Quote:

Guess it's high time to let the Amiga die slowly... and move on to something else... No one will ever do something of it now...

Wow, I'm struck by how incredibly open-minded you are.

But he's right. What part of the "it" is still going to be used in whatever manifestation the Amiga takes in future? Whatever becomes of it, it will just be the name that is the same. I seriously doubt that any serious piece of the 1983 technology will be used in Amiga-anything from hereon.

And if they do come up with something completely new, anyway, it needn't be called Amiga. With none of the original creators of the Amiga working on it and none of the old technology being used within it (because that would be inane), what part of it is Amiga, really? At best, it can only be Amiga in "spirit", observing some of the qualities that once made it a great machine, but so many other technologies have borrowed from the Amiga that it will hardly be alone in that regard.

fleecy 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 16:27:13
#92 ]

Hey Greg

I'll check up on your NDA/SDA (which one is it?)

AA2 is a middleware solution for creating platform portable applications. Plain and simple. It's not an OS. It has come about partly because AA1 need a successor after Intent was lost to us and partly because of the toolset being used to create our next generation product.

I can't say much more publicly, but email me privately and I'll try harder.

cheers

Fleecy

Controller 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 17:00:13
#93 ]

@fleecy

Quote:
currently the SDK is only hosted on Win32 but in its release form it is generating binaries for Win32 and WinCE platforms. In beta we have binaries working for Linux Desktop and for the GP2X device, although not optimised as of yet and not ready to be realised. We also have plans, and I state they are only plans to create binding layers for AA2 to OSX and Symbian. I am not yet ready to say at what status they are at the moment. It is our intention to roll them out to the SDAs when they are done to our satisfaction.

So there is still no plans for any Amiga-versions...

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 17:06:12
#94 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Controller

Quote:

So there is still no plans for any Amiga-versions...

Isn't that what OS5 is for?

Google Translate

Gleng 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 17:11:14
#95 ]

@Controller

So it should be renamed "AmigaOnlyAFewPlaces"

ChrisH 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 17:56:23
#96 ]
Elite Member

@fleecy
Since you aren't answering any of the *interesting* questions about AA2, one can only presume that those answers would have been bad. Oh well

edit: The only explanation seems to be that Amiga Inc is being run on an shoe-string budget these days (which fits everything else we know). So while AA2 may be an honest attempt to 'recapture' the AA1 market, with Bill's mouth & the Amiga name used to sell it, I suspect they don't have the money to realistically achieve it.

Last edited by ChrisH on 16-Feb-2008 at 06:01 PM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 18:08:29
#97 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@ChrisH

Wow (again). You were able to deduce all that from what fleecy didn't say? The ONLY explanation you say?

Incredible. You are the biz man. Perhaps you can figure out who Jack the Ripper was since we don't have many of the facts in that case either? Better yet, can you tell me what I'm holding in my hand. I'll give you no clues?

What that you say? A fish? Spot on again man!!

Google Translate

-pekr- 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 18:08:49
#98 ]

@fleecy

Wouldn't it be better to sublicense/resell Antix (new ex-Tao team engine) and call it an AmigaAnywhere? It would at least be technologically advanced ...

Troels 
Posted on 16-Feb-2008 18:27:35
#99 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

Supporting an existing Amiga operating system wouldn't be to much to ask IMHO. It would also be beneficial for Amiga inc as it would ensure at least some sort of support from the community. Should have been done already with AA/DE and would probably have made 10x more content available for.

Anyway it is nice to see Amiga actually delivering. AA2 being Amiga Inc's own development also might help in making progress faster? Outsourcing/buying solutions from other companies that might or might not deliver is not always a good thing!

Would like to see Linux/osx/OS4 support promised and delivered ASAP. As well as more advanced stuff that will actually make AA2 more appealing than SDL etc.

Btw. Nice to hear from you again Fleecy. You should look by more often!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 17-Feb-2008 9:01:56
#100 ]
Team Member

@fleecy

Quote:

fleecy wrote:
Hey there

currently the SDK is only hosted on Win32 but in its release form it is generating binaries for Win32 and WinCE platforms. In beta we have binaries working for Linux Desktop and for the GP2X device, although not optimised as of yet and not ready to be realised. We also have plans, and I state they are only plans to create binding layers for AA2 to OSX and Symbian. I am not yet ready to say at what status they are at the moment. It is our intention to roll them out to the SDAs when they are done to our satisfaction.

Hello Fleecy,

On one of the videos of Bill M. at Digital Experience I believe he said AA2 already supported Symbian and Linux and that OS X was being worked on. In fact he did his demo on a Linux laptop (in beta then it would seem). Now you are saying there are only plans for Symbian and OS X.

On the plus side the Linux beta is likely decently solid I would think since you guys used it as the demo machine at the show. But on the negative side hearing what sounds like a different story on Symbian and OS X, that its in a planning phase only, with the implication it may not make it out to production essentially is not too encouraging to hear after Bill said you already had that going for both versions.

Assuming for a second that your answer is the more accurate one if your "only plans" don't come to fruition won't that defeat the whole idea of "Anywhere" in the Amiga Anywhere concept? If you can't deploy the product outside of Windows and Linux whats the point of this middleware solution? It would seem you pretty much have to get it on to other such operating systems to gain any substanial set of developers. What do you see as the reason for any developer to take the plunge now, before they see OSX and Symbian support?

Its good to see Amiga posting here BTW.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 17-Feb-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle