Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  2 secs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  41 mins ago
 clint:  53 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AOS4 classic review
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
nexus 
Re: AOS4 classic review
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 7:06:39
#41 ]

just for reasons of completeness:

glquakeWOS -mem 48 -ahi -width 640 -nolan -game malice

Error Message with Malice:

I_Error: Bad surface extents
disconnecting from server...

Thanks!

nexus

Profile     Report this post  
nexus 
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 7:07:18
#42 ]

*double posting deleted*

Last edited by nexus on 22-Apr-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 7:28:39
#43 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

Quote:

K-L wrote:

@xeron

Ibrowse crashes are due to 68k MUI libraries.

Check that you have te latest PPC MUI libraries and all should be ok.

Errrrmmmmm - are those MUI-PPC libs usable with OS3.9/WarpOS as well, or are they OS4 only?

Dandy

actungbaby44 
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 11:27:15
#44 ]

@nexus

thanks for the cool review was intresting l used to run quake on my blizzard ppc card bvsion

but aghh forgoten what learnt many years ago havent managed to get any 3d games to work with os4 bit dispointing really might have to have dual boot system back to os 3.5

Crumb 
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 15:41:01
#45 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

aminet or sourceforge

spihunter 
Posted on 22-Apr-2008 17:29:40
#46 ]

@nexus

This thread has been posted on

OSNews

Just thought I'd let you guys know..

nexus 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 16:40:25
#47 ]

Some updated infos:

I always was wondering why filesystem access on my UW harddisc was so (unexpectedly) slow (depending on the partion around 13 MB/s vis FFS and 20MB with SFS, measured with diskspeed from the SFS-package). Then, I read this SFS workthrough :

http://intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=en_SFS-walkthrough

and removed the SFS-Filesystem from RDB and wow, throughput was suddenly around 40MB/s!

Ok, as my boot partition was a FFS, I was wondering, if i could increase the performance by removing FFS from RDB, too. Well, of course, you cannot do this (how i had to finally find out) because then, the bootstraping doesn't recognize the boot partion or its filesystem respectively.
Hence, i was very stupid to do this, I know, but it led to some very interesting observations:

Eventually, I tried to reinstall everything (fortunately, I had a backup on a second harddisc)).
But what ever i tired, in the beginning, i didn't manage to reinstall AOS4 on the harddisc as after installation my system simply refused to boot. An i mean, it really didn't boot at all, neither from second harddisc nor from CD or floppy. And that, even though, i used for convenience the AOS4-template in "media toolbox" which partitioned the harddisc and configures the partions with DOS/7 and l:FastFilesystem (v51.10, 68k). As i said, i couldn't boot anymore from no device.

The key to the problem was to disconnect the powercable of the freshly installed harddisc. Then, my system booted to AOS4 on the second harddisc. During runtime i plugged in the powercable again and was able to find/mount the disc with "media toolbox". Then, a warm rebooting (CTR+Amiga+Amiga) worked and i could even boot from the fresh installation. BUT as soon as i did a cold reboot (CTRL+Alt+Alt) or turned of the computer, nothing worked anymore. Again, i had to disconnect the powercable to restart the system and then, i connected it again (i know, this can't be of help for the harddiscs lifetime but what should i do?).

Then I wasted A LOT of time to find out, what the source of the problem was. And I tried a huge number of configurations, different filesystems, AOS3 and AOS4 installations, deleing and erasing the disk by the help of "Media Toobox's SCSI-helper-tools" etc).

Here are the results:

1) FastFilesystem 51.10 (even though 68k) cannot be used on my A4000. Either, the bootstraping
doesn't work with this filesystem or the AOS4-68k-Emulation of this filesystem (before replacing it with thie PPC-Version of this filesystem vie Kickstart-Mapping) doesn't work. System doesn't boot.
(It does work as soon as the os4-kickstart is mapped to the memory but this means the system has to boot once which only was possible by disconnecting the harddisk, boot, and reconnecting it again).

2) Old FastFilesystem of AOS3.9 works with AOS3.9. With AOS4 as well but then the its not replaced by the kickstart/FastFilesystem-PPC-version and you have a slow performance.

3) 2) doesn't work anymore as soon as you install in addition a nonworking-filesystem into RDB. Then everything ends up like in 1)

4) SmartFilesystem v1.84 does not work with AOS4. System doesn't boot

5) SmartFilesystem v1.777 (even though 68k) doens't work! See 1)

6) In the End, I used the OS4-Template with SFS instead of FFS which stores SFS v1.276 (68k) in the RDB! And this version of the Filesystem works and will be updated by the ppc-version in kickstart/SmartFileSystem (PPC, v.279 in my case).

Means, finally, after wasting my weekend, i had AOS4 back and also for the bootpartion a throughput of around 40MB/s. Puhh ..

Again, 6) works only, if you don't install IN ADDITION SFS v1.777 (68k) or FFS v51.10 (68k).
But you can install SFS 1.84 or an old FFS in RDB if you only want to boot into a OS3.9 System, but OS4 with old SFS,FFS doesn't work.

During redownloading a lot of stuff from os4depot and AOS4-Februaryupdate from hyperion, i observed the additional problems:

1) xsurf.device (patched ariane-II-device) still DOES crash and forces you to reboot if you download hugh archives in parallel. (e.g. the 2 os4-updates-archives)

2) or if you do heavy disc accesses (e.g. by decrunching huge lha-archives) DURING downlaoding huge archives from the net. Small archives or doing lha-decrunching and download sequentially works without problems.

The downloading was always done with IBrowse which never crashed again since the MUI-PPC-Lib updates during browsing.

Hope, this is of interest to anyone here :)

greetings,
nexus

Last edited by nexus on 28-Apr-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Last edited by nexus on 28-Apr-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Last edited by nexus on 28-Apr-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Last edited by nexus on 28-Apr-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Last edited by nexus on 28-Apr-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Framiga 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 19:28:54
#48 ]
Elite Member

@nexus

sorry but i have to ask .... whats wrong to have "simply" the 68K SFS 1.279 installed in the RDB (beeing the very same version as the ppc one), which works without any problem under AmigaOS3-AmigaOS4 and even MOS for PowerUP?

nexus 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 9:31:23
#49 ]

@Framiga

yeah, this possibly works as well I have not tested SFS_v1.279-68k. The amazing thing here is, that v1.277-68k doen't work but v1.276-68k does. And of course, that you have to install it in the RDB if there's a boot partition on the hd .

Moreover, FFS 51.10 68k doesn't work either for a boot partition!

greetings,
nexus

Last edited by nexus on 29-Apr-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle