Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 billt:  32 mins ago
 amigang:  42 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  45 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  First Aros powered computer iMica one system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Gleng 
Re: First Aros powered computer iMica one system
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 18:03:35
#41 ]

@Manu

The "cat eye" logo of AROS is quite nice though.

Profile     Report this post  
SpaceDruid 
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 18:26:58
#42 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Gleng

Quote:

I know it sounds stupid, but the main thing that puts me off of AROS is the mascot.

It's made a lot of people outside of the Amiga communities think that "Amiga users = Furries"

I wanted to see what the problem was so I googled "furries" (with the adult filter turned off) to learn more.

And now I cannot unsee what I've just saw. I shall not be able to look at Eric Schwartz cartoons in quite the same way again...

Google Translate

Gleng 
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 19:08:54
#43 ]

@SpaceDruid

Quote:

And now I cannot unsee what I've just saw. I shall not be able to look at Eric Schwartz cartoons in quite the same way again...

Exactly.

I'd say it comes up maybe 6 times out of 10 when I talk to non/former-amigans about the current state of all things Amiga. It happens way too often to be a coincidence.

asian 
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 21:03:14
#44 ]

@olegil

> PCI x86 Co-processor card.

What about Checkpoint SlotShield 1000 or 3000 with AMD GEODE and Passive PCI bus Interface?

The card is formerly called Omnicluster's slotserver

retro 
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 23:09:23
#45 ]

way not just use euae or aros on an normal pc or laptop...

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 4-Mar-2009 23:44:31
#46 ]
Cult Member

Hi,

@clusteruk

It is a great piece of news for me to hear there's yet another Amiga hadware (to my knowledge), besides Efika and SAM440. I think it is a historical, kind of, moment when EACH Amiga taste has its own dedicated hardware been manufactured and sold!

Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
Sorry guys it seems my server cannot cope with the load. It is not on a main server as I did not think I would get that many hits. I will Sort this out and repost.in the mean time just try refreshing page or come back later.

Good for you!!!

Just one question, since it's a x86, do you have any suggestions/limitations about
- installing Win32 / Linux2 on it?
- any software way to have a multi-system-booted computer?

Because you know... if all (any) of these above were supported, too, your very machine would be a milestone...

asian 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 1:27:23
#47 ]

I got info from FreeBSD that someone claimed that FreeBSD 7.1 RC1 can be used with Intel Atom Mini ITX board with Realtek LAN chipset. Perhaps clusteruk can test multi boot FreeBSD 7.1 (January 2009).
BTW Is it possible to boot FreeDOS or MS-DOS on this board? (for very old games).

Leo 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 7:37:33
#48 ]

Quote:

Switches & Indicators Power Switch Reset Switch 2 x USB2.0 AC'97 / HDAudio (Not usable until new sound drivers written, use rear connectors)

Intel® I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7) Audio Realtek* ALC662 audio codec (5.1 channel HD audio) (Driver unavailable yet)

Video · Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 & S-video output support (Runs in VESA support mode Very Good though, native drivers come later)

I/O Control SMSC* LPC47M997 based Legacy I/O controller for serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports (not all supported)

Two Serial SATA ports (3.0 GB/s) (Must be switched to Legacy Mode)

etc..

While I already find it nonsense to rebrand a PC for any Amiga-like system, please, when you do so, choose a PC that has most drivers for AROS. This is so pathetic !

And I don't see any Amiga user interested in such detailed spec of the whole machine... Especially since they are not cutting-edge at all!

Look at the descriptions of most Amigas back in the ninetees...

Manu 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 8:19:57
#49 ]

@Leo

Ok, so really what was your alternative hardware that you would have chosen?
Did I miss something in your post or did you not care to tell us ?

steril606 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 9:38:57
#50 ]

@Leo

Honestly guy, I cannot remember one post where you have said something positive about anything regarding Amiga.

@Gleng

You are right. It's not just the Kitty mascot, mascots in general need to die.

I think the "Amiga World" (not this website ;) ) needs a more up-to-date and a more minimal graphics design. Amigas have been leading in this area for many years, but look at the state of most Amiga Websites these days. Most of them look like they have been updated in the mid-nineties the last time (which is probably true :D )..

It's good that Aros changed recently from those hideous Gorilla Icons(which you can still find in the nightly build live cd) over to Ken Lesters Icons on the vmwAROS Distribution.

I think it's the whole package that turns people off, like websites with #0000ff blue backgrounds and year of 97'ish low res Gifs as graphical Elements, furry mascots and the lack of a central website, since Amiga.com and its owner does nothing for the Amiga anymore.

With a style like this, it's hard to be sexy enough to get people coming to your OS.

Last edited by steril606 on 05-Mar-2009 at 09:48 AM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 10:38:09
#51 ]

@Manu

I think your signature says more than I can.

AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current,
hardware-intensive solutions. And they'd go faster.-- D.Haynie

If this is what he quoted then there is your answer to all Amigans, I have known this since 1999 with PCI project which wiped me out then and yet 10 years have past. My dream is a Eight core x86, NVidia 295 GPU, and the Aros/MorphOS 3D extreme OS which could be about 18 months away if the guys with MorphOS, Hyperium and Aros team all worked together.

Remember to my knowledge and I may be wrong, MorphOS is based on Aros code. If true how about we have some of the new bits back in the source tree.

This community needs to plan for the future and bring all the skills to the future AmigaOS 5.0 x86. Next year is the Amigas 25th anniversary and I am launching www.amiga25.com in the next month with this aim in mind. Lets not miss this oppertunity for the rebirth of the Amiga.

Steve

clusteruk 
Posted on 5-Mar-2009 10:55:46
#52 ]

Quote:

Leo wrote:

While I already find it nonsense to rebrand a PC for any Amiga-like system, please, when you do so, choose a PC that has most drivers for AROS. This is so pathetic !

And I don't see any Amiga user interested in such detailed spec of the whole machine... Especially since they are not cutting-edge at all!

Look at the descriptions of most Amigas back in the ninetees...

I accept your points and this is not my dream machine as good as it is, however, Amiga is based on multiple processors supporting the main processor. Modern PC's now follow this way of working and components are very cheap.

The Aros system runs really well on iMica in the Vesa mode, do not think in terms of how WinBlows runs Vesa mode, Aros Vesa mode is very fast.

We have had written the NIC driver and Soundblaster card is good anyway. Next drivers are the internal sound card so I can attach a digital tvtuner/video capture card for next round of update later.

Graphics upgrade may come last because it runs really well.

USB, yes you are right, iMica supports UHCI and USB drivers are OHCI at present but I hope to get this addressed. But with built in FTP and HTTP server, problem is not a huge one yet.

Steve

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle