Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 Rob:  13 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  29 mins ago
 t0lkien:  34 mins ago
 amigakit:  55 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] AmigaOS notebook, anyone?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Poll : interested by a netbook/notebook running AmigaOS?
Yes, I'll buy one with these specs
No, I don't need mobile AmigaOS

PosterThread
Radfoo 
Re: [Poll] AmigaOS notebook, anyone?
Posted on 12-Jan-2010 20:59:19
#81 ]

@Troels
Quote:
The proposal of an AmigaOS laptop sounds interesting and I would actually prefer a (even low spec.) laptop over the XA1000.

Me too. With wi-fi and long battery life I find laptops more convenient than a desktop PC these days.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 12-Jan-2010 22:28:59
#82 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

The early Sam440ep board with the soldered on ram and the LVDS connector should be ideal for building an Amiga OS4 laptop. I had a word with Rigo about this a while back and the conclusion was that A 17" screen would allow you to spread out the internals and keep the it slim unlike most Amiga solutions so far which mostly look monstrous.

On paper it appears that the Radeon M9 and the LVDS connector should allow to hook up a laptop screen with no additional circuitry which saves on bulk and removes the for need fiddling about hiding a cable from the VGA card. Not having a populated simm socket and CPU cooler cuts down on a lot of height.

Suzanne is the best looking and most professional Amiga laptop so far and I reckon a Sam based setup could be half the height and be able to blend in with "real" laptops. Of course it would be quite expensive due to the need of fabricating a custom case.

The best way would be to take an existing budget 15" model and redesign the Sam440 motherboard to fit that system. The only additional component needed would be a wifi chip for wireless networking.
If the board could be sold for the same price as a normal Sam440ep then your 800-900 euro price point for a complete system with OS4 could be achieved.

I wonder how many units would need to sold to make the redesign viable.

WillKar 
Posted on 12-Jan-2010 23:59:34
#83 ]

@Rob
Sorry to dissapoint you, but it just ain't that simple! Although the mobo is ideal for building a laptop "around it" that ain't enough! A laptop screen would not work without additional circuitry. You need to give it a backlight power supply, and discover (not easy) the pinout of the screen's cabling. The screen itself doesn't just end to a VGA cable with a regular socket. Thus, you'd have to study a lot. And if portability is of any concern, you have to find a way to give it a battery and charging circuitry, and find a way to manage battery power through the OS.
Do you still find it viable?
Don't take my word for it, google is your friend on this one. And do some search for the A600 GRL to get a taste of a "modern" Amiga laptop

Last edited by WillKar on 13-Jan-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle