Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

kolla,  Mr_DBUG

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  3 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  43 mins ago
 retrofaza:  55 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  OS4 - sigh
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
kostas 
Re: OS4 - sigh
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 17:28:35
#41 ]

@Rogue

Only one question from me:

Is Jit implemented in the OS?

Thanks

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 17:50:14
#42 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@kostas

Quote:
Is Jit implemented in the OS?

Implemented: yes. Integrated: no.

Currently, you need to start the JIT externally with a program called "apprunner", i.e. you type "apprunner programname parameters" in a shell or script file.

This will change soon, but other things had preceedence- Later on 68k tasks will automatically run under JIT control. It is more or less just a matter of passing control to the emulator, and will be sorted out as soon as possible.

Dalamar 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 18:07:14
#43 ]

@Oxygenet

Well given that I was out of the community for many years, I have none of the "When it's done" baggage. Since I work with a lot of software that is raced out the door before it's ready and just adds to my stress, I'd rather see it done right. It seems closer to release than it has for quite some time, so I would say that we will have OS4 soon. Been said before yes, but the evidence seems a bit stronger than past issues I've read.

Just my 2 doubloons worth.

Hondo 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 18:38:35
#44 ]

@Hyperion/Amiga Inc./Eyetech/All Others Involved

Thanks for taking the time to make a mature product out of a nearly dead platform. The waiting have been extremely hard, and every inch of my body wants to scream in impatience......but I'd rather spend 2-3 years in a waiting hell, than see OS4 being released before it's really really cool..........after all every IT magazine on this darn planet will rip it apart as soon as it goes official.

So please stay tuned, and bring a solid product to the world........but give us a little present once a week.........just a tiny one

Hondo

Seer 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 20:13:55
#45 ]
Team Member

@Ralf

Frankly no penguins

Personally, I prefer this one

Can use an date update tho..

kostas 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 20:32:31
#46 ]

@Rogue

Sorry for my bad English. Integrated was the word I was looking for....

Thanks for the answer

Kneedeep 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 20:38:36
#47 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Most certainly the release dates of the CSPPC/Blizzard version and the AmigaOne version have moved closer together due to this (with the classic version being pushed back). It doesn't mean, though, that the classic version is standing still or anything. The idea is still to have the classic version released first.

Humm, I am wondering if I understand the different version?

Classic is for the 680XX machines?

I got the other two, just wondering what the Classic verison means?

Thanks,

mjohnson 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 20:38:50
#48 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Quote:
Rogue wrote:
It will also only feature Radeon and Voodoo support (no SNAP), and will probably still include the 68k Picasso96.

Any official word (at the time of writing) which Radeon cards will be supported? (Sorry if this topic has been resolved previously, if so I must've missed it)

Quote:
Yes. Even a small number of bug reports/issues with the CD and system will be multiplied by the number of Earlybird systems out there. We need to take that into account. Even if these problems do pop up, it's always better to know an answer.

I'll ask this question just once, and whether it gets answered or remains unanswered, I won't bother you with it again, promise :
Will the earlybird/pre-release owners be able to obtain updates as OS4 proceeds (say, some newly discovered bug is straightened out, or new features appear along the way that seem stable enough to be able to add to the then current pre-release version)?

Not wanting to come off as ungrateful or anything, I realize that getting a pre-release at all is nothing we're in any way entitled to receive, and it is a much appreciated gesture. I do also understand that the resources required to provide on-going updates would most likely be greater than what could be deemed plausible for this type of "community present." I'm just a bit curious, that's all.

And I will shut up about it henceforth.

Seer 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 20:50:06
#49 ]
Team Member

@Warrent

I got the other two, just wondering what the Classic verison means?

Nono, classic = CSPPC/Blizzard.. It just easier for Rogue to type.. Don't get your hopes up for an 68K OS4..

rayt 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 23:16:17
#50 ]

@Rogue

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 23:28:56
#51 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Warrent

Quote:
Classic is for the 680XX machines?

No, there will be no 68k version. "Classic" refers to original Amiga hardware (A3000/4000 with CyberStormPPC or A1200 with BlizzardPPC), as opposed to the next-gen machines.

I tend to use the terms A1200, A4000, Blizzard, CSPPC and classic interchangeable. Sorry for the confusion

Kneedeep 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 23:35:03
#52 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Warrent

No, there will be no 68k version. "Classic" refers to original Amiga hardware (A3000/4000 with CyberStormPPC or A1200 with BlizzardPPC), as opposed to the next-gen machines.

I tend to use the terms A1200, A4000, Blizzard, CSPPC and classic interchangeable. Sorry for the confusion

Okay, thanks for explaning that. BTW, keep up the great work.

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 23:39:46
#53 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@mjohnson

Quote:
Any official word (at the time of writing) which Radeon cards will be supported? (Sorry if this topic has been resolved previously, if so I must've missed it)

Yes, Forefront recently posted a model matrix of supported graphics cards here

Quote:
Will the earlybird/pre-release owners be able to obtain updates as OS4 proceeds (say, some newly discovered bug is straightened out, or new features appear along the way that seem stable enough to be able to add to the then current pre-release version)?

Currently, there isn't anything planned in that direction. The only exception would be hotfixes, i.e. critical bug fixes to work around pressing issues.

Preparing such updates requires time. Furthermore, it would require infrastructure for reporting bugs and the like (a special forum isn't really the answer). We don't want to go through that until we have the final release in the shelves.

mjohnson 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004 23:52:43
#54 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

@Rogue

Quote:
Rogue wrote:
Yes, Forefront recently posted a model matrix of supported graphics cards

Are all the listed cards supported now? Last mention I saw on this issue was that the RV280 might be supported, with no word on anything above it.

Quote:
Currently, there isn't anything planned in that direction. The only exception would be hotfixes, i.e. critical bug fixes to work around pressing issues.

That's good enough for me!

Quote:
We don't want to go through that until we have the final release in the shelves.

Completely understandable. Thx for the info!

jahc 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 0:41:38
#55 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Currently, you need to start the JIT externally with a program called "apprunner", i.e. you type "apprunner programname parameters" in a shell or script file.

@Rogue

Will the prerelease come with "apprunner"?

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 7:55:33
# ]

Hi Rogue,

I know you're very busy Qua...coding, but I'd like to know,

Do you have a RAID driver in the pre-release?

IF not,

Do you have a RAID driver in the release version?

IF not,

Do we have to wait for 4.1 to get it?

For me boot time is really an issue. (I'm not running a nuclear power plant or anything, it's just a big deal, that's all.)

I have a RAID card in my pc which runs with a 2.26 GHz P IV CPU and it takes 61 seconds to be ready to use. I'm not impressed.

AOS4.0! I can't wait to use the calculator!!!!

P.S. In case you haven't noticed, I appreciate all the work all of you folks are doing!

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 10:56:44
#57 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@mjohnson
Quote:
Are all the listed cards supported now? Last mention I saw on this issue was that the RV280 might be supported, with no word on anything above it.

No idea - you have to ask Forefront about that. I have four Radeons here, and they all work, but I don't have any RV280 cards.

@jahc
Quote:
Will the prerelease come with "apprunner"?

No, I don't think it will.

@atheist
Quote:
Do you have a RAID driver in the pre-release?

No, no plans up to now. There had been brief talks about this possibility, but in the end it more or less was pushed back because of more pressing issues.

Hondo 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 11:35:48
#58 ]

@Rogue

Can't find anything to ask you specifically, but I was wondering about this...

Will you use the new AmigaOS in the future as your main computer?..........if yes then perhaps you could tell me why?........I mean, If you were to compare the system you are working on right now with WinXP - what does it have that XP dosn't ???

The reason i'm asking is that you are obviously a person who should know a lot about these things........and it could be quite intersting to hear your personal oppionion on AOS4 Vs. XP or other OS's.

Perhaps give your oppinion on why OS4 is stronger/weaker in your mind?

You don't have to answer this.....I just thought it could be intersting to hear your personal oppinion on the matter.

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 11:46:37
# ]

@Rogue

That's not a list of supported cards. They just made that list so that people could see what chipsets and such different cards use.

I have emailed forefront to get a list of, by their driver, supported card/chipsets, but sadly they refuse to answer.

Shouldn't this issue be pushed up the food chain so that your customers, including me, can get solid info on this? I know that you don't have info on this personally but can't you atleast mention to the guys above you that this needs to be adressed?

It would certainly be nice to get a public list out in the open, rather than having to fish around forums here and there to find out stuff like this.

/Björn

Report this post  
Ralf 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 12:02:28
#60 ]
Cult Member

@Orgin

I just sent forefront a question about the 9200 series. From you´re statement, it seems there´s no big chance to get an answer, but if I do, I will let you all know (and Gunne of course :).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle