Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  43 mins ago
 Gunnar:  58 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  OS4 - sigh
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: OS4 - sigh
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 12:04:55
# ]

@Ralf

One can always hope.

/Björn

Report this post  
Ralf 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 12:14:10
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Orgin
No email yet

Profile     Report this post  
tafka 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 13:18:28
#63 ]

@Seer

Looking at the "we're back' pic reminded me of this...

I looove this pic.

Steff 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 16:53:14
#64 ]

@Orgin

Quote:
It would certainly be nice to get a public list out in the open, rather than having to fish around forums here and there to find out stuff like this.

This is true but if you check out what Forefront is selling together with their:Quote:
AmigaOne XE G4 745x 800MHz complete system
you will find that they are offering:

ATI Radeon 7000 32 MB DDR AGP 4x

ATI Radeon 9000 64 MB DDR AGP 4x

ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB DDR AGP 8x

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro All-In-Wonder 64 MB DDR AGP 4x

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB DDR AGP 4x (although here I think the 4x is a typo)

Now if they are selling the cards with there own machines and at the same time are responsible for the drivers then I can't imagine them doing this without drivers to at least get the cards to work.

Seeing as how they are selling two versions of the 9000 (ATI Radeon 9000 Pro All-In-Wonder 64 MB DDR AGP 4x) makes me suspect some driver routines to make use of at least some of the extra features on a All-In-Wonder card are implemented.

Just a thought.

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 17:37:22
# ]

@Steff

> Just a thought.

Yeah but unfortunately still guesswork.

/Björn

Report this post  
billt 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 21:03:03
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Orgin

>I have emailed forefront to get a list of, by their driver, supported card/chipsets, but sadly they refuse to answer.

Remember, this OS4 prerelease is for AmigaOne users. Our Radeon driver is for Classic Amiga users, AmigaOne users are to use SNAP drivers, not ours, in the finished OS4 product, and we've sold our AmigaOne systems with options based on the SNAP driver support.

The documentation we have from ATI covers a certain group of chip versions, not all. Our drivers currently work with some cards in one machine, but some of those same cards have issues in another machine, and we're workig on sorting that out before making a list that will change when we find and fix bugs. We're also porting our driver and trying to support more cards at a higher priority recently in a machine we were not developing for, due to it's inteded use of SNAP instead. Do you really want to see a list that is currently changing on a daily basis on this new platform? Until things settle down, it doesn't make sense to make a list of cards guaranteed to work... Once SNAP is ready for AmigaOne, it doesn't matter anyway.

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 21:32:57
# ]

@billt

So basicly for the prerelease the level of organisation and planning leads to "we don't know" at this point.

Nice.

Thanks for your answer.

@Steff

There goes your theory ;)

/Björn

Report this post  
Steff 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 23:09:27
#68 ]

@Orgin

Quote:
There goes your theory ;)

Yeah, but it seemed good at the time.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting any prerelease so anything tangible is just a bonus at this stage.

As an earlybird buyer I was completely clear that this wasn't a click and go machine before the official release.

I'm still allowed to speculate a bit? Everyone else does!

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

billt 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004 23:56:55
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Orgin

>So basicly for the prerelease the level of organisation and planning leads to "we don't know" at this point.

At the moment, no, we do not know.

"Why", do you ask, that we do not know?

Certain things in the system run before our driver is called, and these things set up certain things, and determine locations of certain things. Some of that information is then passed to our driver for our use in setting up the Radeon chip. Currently, some information we require is getting goofed somewhere along the line for some Radeon cards, and our driver is presented with something not completely correct, and thus fails to properly set up the Radeon chip.

Another developer claims to have discovered an issue that may be causing this, and we'll find out pretty soon if he's right. Then we can run our driver and see what cards like it and which might not. As we've followed the ROM parsing/chip setup recommendations from ATI, I look forward to a number of cards suddenly working as soon as we are given to correct information for us to start from, assuming no changes were made to models not directly covered by the documentation we have. I think it would be silly and non-useful for ATI to change these particular details, so I am hopeful things go well. I might be wrong, but we'll see soon.

As the OS prerelease is currently in Beta to discover exactly these serious issues, we have an opportunity to get it sorted out before the prerelease "ships". This is why it goes to the beta guys before the mass public, so that a big hurdle can be chopped down to size, dealt with, cards tested, and then a more acceptable prerelease prepared.

Once that's done, presumably the Forefront driver will be given a valid starting information, and we can move on from there to test different models, try to make you list-wanting guys happy, and get back to fixing known bugs in our own code for the Classic Amiga users and their eventual copies of OS4-final, and also for AmigaOne users still waiting for SNAP. :)

There are reasons the OS isn't at final product release... And as a prerelease, expect to find things that would not be satisfactory in a final shipping product. That's just how prereleases are... Surely you can expect things to be much better for the completed final product, but we'll all have to wait until that ships to get the better stuff.

And please try to understand, we were contracted to develop our driver for the Classic machines, not for AmigaOne, you were told some time ago like everyone else via these news sites that SNAP would be the graphics driver system for AmigaOne, not the Forefront driver. (Snap offers lots of chipsets, Forefront only offers Radeon) Forefront didn't say when the OS prerelease would be available to users, we were told in the same manner you guys were. We're doing our best to get our drivers working on an incomplete OS for a piece of hardware we weren't contracted for and thus didn't plan for, so that you don't have to wait even longer for SNAP to be finished in order to get your prerelease...

Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 9:52:49
# ]

@billt

No I don't ask "Why".

"we don't know" says all I need to know really.

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 12:57:45
# ]

Hi people! Long time seen I am very excited to read about the OS4 Beta CD, as it's soon to be available. It was definitely about time! I'm so tired of Linux nowadays..

Over and over again, i have been updating and done new installments of Debian Linux. Currently, there is now another alternative - Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 with the released AmigaOne Installer. I might try this one out just before getting the OS4 Beta CD in my hands...! Not long for the final version of OS4 then..

It has taken very much time, but i know i has been worth it. I delighted to see the REAL power of my 933Mhz A1G3XE under OS4! Should be pretty fast!

I do have some questions: Could anyone tell me how the performance will be even under the OS4 Beta on my A1G3XE, and will my ATI Radeon 9200-card work under the Beta-release of OS4? I certainly hope so!

I am currently looking for the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS audio card. At a later date, i'm going for the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT AGP-card with 256MB DDR SDRAM!!!

Report this post  
warface 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 15:15:31
#72 ]

@Severin

Quote:
I'm sure that unless it's almost perfect certain people (with a blueish tint) will blow any glitches up out of all proportion and spread them faster than a virus in windows...

Those with bluish tint already went throught this kind of slagging fest, if you remember. There will be those who will seek their rightful revenge this time, but I hope there will be many who will show solidarity based on the same experience. If anyone, those with bluish tint are the ones who know how it feels being slagged endlessly for the slightest glitch, and being hated.

I presume OS4 will find more with simpathy among them, than enemies.

My 2 cents

nbache 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 17:03:52
#73 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Hi Rogue,

I know you're very busy Qua...coding

There's no U in QA.

Best regards,

Niels

Rogue 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 17:18:33
#74 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Orgin

Quote:
Shouldn't this issue be pushed up the food chain so that your customers, including me, can get solid info on this? I know that you don't have info on this personally but can't you atleast mention to the guys above you that this needs to be adressed?

The official stance is that OS 4 will come with full SNAP support once it is released. This prerelease is exactly what the name implies - a prerelease. It's a service to those that have their AmigaOne and are waiting for OS 4. As such, it will surely be rather rough around the edges, and many things (including video drivers) are not in a final state. If it works on your graphics card, we're glad about it. If it doesn't, we're going to try and help you get it to work. That is all we can do at the moment I'm afraid.

We felt that this was better than stating that it only works on Voodoo card. Forefront where kind enough to jump in with their drivers in absense of SNAP. I have four Radeons here that all work (7500 and 9200 based). The idea is to have as many of them supported before the prerelease.

Obviously, the fnal release won't have these issues.

mjohnson 
Re: OS4 - NIGH
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 17:31:45
#75 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Quote:
Rogue wrote:
I have four Radeons here that all work (7500 and 9200 based).

Wo-hoo! Woot woot!

A-1 pulling out, Rogue leader. Returning to base. May the force be with you.

Esquilax 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 18:26:35
#76 ]

@nbache

You seemed to have missed the humour there

swaug 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 18:40:39
#77 ]

@Rogue

As you are hear ready to answer questions:

How is the BlizzardPPC release of OS 4.0 coming along?

regards,

Matthew
SWAUG
www.swaug.org.uk

AP 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 19:24:02
#78 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue: Will a TCP/IP-stack (Roadshow) be part of the Pre-release?

Darth_X 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 19:33:49
#79 ]
Elite Member

Blue-ish tint?

I'm tired of all this colour segregation. Must it continue?

@warface & severin

If guys like you make comments like these, doesn't that put you ion the same level as the guys you refer to having a blue-ish tint?

Chris_Y 
Posted on 31-Jan-2004 21:20:27
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Looking forward to the pre-release. Since you are doing an impromptu Q&A session, I would like to ask: Will the WarpOS launcher be available in the pre-release?

Thanks
Chris

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle