Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  39 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  45 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  49 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Comi:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Do we know case design on X1000 yet?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
opi 
Re: Do we know case design on X1000 yet?
Posted on 6-May-2010 11:55:07
#21 ]
Team Member

@Bushy

Quote:
As you can see - it's not bad case at all.

I bet it is, it is not your "run of the mill, $30 case that will crumble in a year, PSU will die in 3 months" case.

Quote:
Can we call it the "custom amiga case"?

I expected something dedicated from AEon. The hype was "first Amiga-Amiga since ages". I know it's expensive to put low run of anything, and this is more reasonable thing to do.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Posted on 6-May-2010 12:20:33
#22 ]

Yep its a nice case but. Its not got the Amiga look I was expecting. Still things can I get better once x1000 is out. Hopefully we will see X500 some time soon after which might be more like the a500 / a1200 style.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

BigD 
Posted on 6-May-2010 12:33:56
#23 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:
Hopefully we will see X500 some time soon after which might be more like the a500 / a1200 style.

I see it as an evolution of the A4000T concept rather than to the A1000, A500 or A1200. It's a tower after all! Yeah it would be nice to have some C= grills on the keyboard like the Commodore keyboards but as far as the case goes it rocks! Love the black!

KimmoK 
Posted on 6-May-2010 12:50:38
#24 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I would say it's better looking than the original A4000d, or A2000 but not as beutifull as A3000d.
And it seems as practical as A4000T.

(and it cost a lot less than the A4000D cost and, IMHO the performance gap to x86 is far smaller than with A4000)

I wonder if the case specs are identical with this one:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=32

Last edited by KimmoK on 06-May-2010 at 12:51 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Naz 
Posted on 6-May-2010 12:57:42
#25 ]

@opi

also the second picture is photoshopped. The mainboard has just been pasted in. If you compare the picture with the one from the fractal wesite, you will see that the cables are identically on the same position. A bit lame in my opinion. Keeping enthusiasm high is OK, at the end of the day they need to sell this machines, but faked photos are not realy cool.

I would like to see the real stuff!

cheers
n

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 6-May-2010 13:09:25
#26 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Here is a review of the case: Fractal Design Define R2 ATX Tower Case

ddni 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:02:00
#27 ]
Cult Member

@Naz

I suspect that the picture of the case door is Photo shopped too. The edges on the boing ball are jut too ragged.

BigD 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:22:00
#28 ]
Elite Member

@ddni

Quote:
I suspect that the picture of the case door is Photo shopped too. The edges on the boing ball are jut too ragged.

As long as they have got a contract sorted with 'Fractal' to get the customised cases made eventually, it's a mute point. However, this could be seen as the hyping of the as of yet non-existent elements of the X1000 design! If they ARE glorified Photoshopped photos then this is a poor show!! The jury is out though. It looks like a real engraved 'boing ball' door to me but yes the X1000 logo looks like a Photoshop after thought

It would not be a great advertisment for Amiga transparency!!!

AP 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:25:18
#29 ]
Cult Member

@opi: >Hm, so AEon will not design their own case, just add a brand (I hope to goats that it won't >be this "embedded boingball") to generic PC case. I guess it will be the same with keyboard.

Yep, but that´s not really new. A-EON/Trevor already said (for example in the interview I had with Trevor for Amiga Future), that the case for the X1000 will not a completely new designed case but a customized case.

BTW: I like the design, it reminds me a little bit of the MacPro. But taste may differ

opi 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:30:41
#30 ]
Team Member

@AP

Quote:
Yep, but that´s not really new.

It was for me. I didn't order AF. Thanks for details.

eliyahu 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:40:19
#31 ]

@Naz

Quote:
also the second picture is photoshopped. The mainboard has just been pasted in. If you compare the picture with the one from the fractal wesite, you will see that the cables are identically on the same position. A bit lame in my opinion. Keeping enthusiasm high is OK, at the end of the day they need to sell this machines, but faked photos are not realy cool.

I would like to see the real stuff!

you know, given that i wasn't planning on purchasing an X1000 (due to the price point, and, i'm rather happy with my SAM), i've really tried not to comment on A-EON's marketing strategy.

but i have to say: photoshopping your motherboard onto a stock photo available elsewhere on the web (link) really, really bothers me. it isn't just an issue of a lack of professionalism per se: it casts unnecessary doubts about the entire enterprise.

trevor seems a terrific chap, and i don't want this to sound like i'm not pulling for A-EON, et al, because i most certainly am; but, guys, come on. if you don't have anything ready to show us, don't show anything. the case photo itself would have been enough, surely. i'm sure the motherboard shot itself is genuine, but how hard would it have been to grab one of the fractal cases and actually install the blasted thing instead of rigging up a mock-up in photoshop?

hopefully all doubts will be erased at VCF, but until then, stuff like this just creates fodder for those ready, willing, and able to jump up and down on everything they can to discredit the X1000 project and the forward viability of the platform.

oh, and just for the record, i do like the case A-EON have chosen. even without a silkscreened boing-ball, it looks wonderful. just really looking forward to news from VCF at this point.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 06-May-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 06-May-2010 at 02:45 PM.

ddni 
Posted on 6-May-2010 14:52:32
#32 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Very well said...

BigD 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:02:50
#33 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
if you don't have anything ready to show us, don't show anything. the case photo itself would have been enough, surely. i'm sure the motherboard shot itself is genuine, but how hard would it have been to grab one of the fractal cases and actually install the blasted thing instead of rigging up a mock-up in photoshop?

That's the thing the 19th June isn't that far away and I for one could have waited until then to see an actual X1000 motherboard in an actual 'Fractal' case with and actual X1000 logo and actual 'boing ball' engraving on the door! What's with all the falseness and mock-ups?

With that in mind it still looks awesome and I hope to see the REAL version soon with my own eyes!

Amiga 25th Anniversary Event - Retro Computer Fair 19th & 20th June

Last edited by BigD on 06-May-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:17:14
#34 ]
Elite Member

I can just see the adverts:

"The power of a netbook, now available in the size of a badass server"

[sing] Only Amiga, only Amiga makes it possibe [/sing]

(Mod's note: This posting has resulted in an approved Abuse Report for trolling and a official warning for the user Kronos.)

Do not troll.

From the Terms of Service:
Troll: Trolls show no respect for other people's opinions and deliberately crafts messages to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy or just to cause anger and confrontations. There is no point in arguing with them; their minds are made up. Ignore them, and report the posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member. Repeat offenders may incur an instant banning.

Last edited by Yo on 10-May-2010 at 01:34 PM.

ilbarbax 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:19:11
#35 ]

http://www.a-eon.com/pics/X1000_case.jpg
http://www.a-eon.com/pics/A1_X1000_case.jpg
http://www.sweclockers.com/imagebank/200909/Fractal1001.jpg

BigD 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:27:15
#36 ]
Elite Member

@ilbarbax

Your right it is the generic photo; wires in exactly the same place and everthing!

TrevorDick 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:39:42
#37 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
but how hard would it have been to grab one of the fractal cases and actually install the blasted thing instead of rigging up a mock-up in photoshop?

The developers actually did take a photo of the Nemo board inside the case but because of the grief we got about the quality of the original OS4 Install photo I decided to "cut" the board out of the case and paste it into the nice shiny case for the web picture. Some times you just can't win.

The "Boing Ball" graphic is obviously a mock up but it's the artwork that was sent to the case manufacturers to enable them to assess the practicalities and cost the design.

We had received a lot of requests about the final Case design and what you see on the website is what we intend to deliver.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 06-May-2010 at 03:43 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 6-May-2010 15:51:15
#38 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
The "Boing Ball" graphic is obviously a mock up but it's the artwork that was sent to the case manufacturers to enable them to assess the practicalities and cost the design.

It will have achieved it's aim in giving the case manufacturers something to work with! Thanks for clearing this up and I hope you do get to deliver what you have asked for in this mock-up.

eliyahu 
Posted on 6-May-2010 16:00:57
#39 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:

The developers actually did take a photo of the Nemo board inside the case but because of the grief we got about the quality of the original OS4 Install photo I decided to "cut" the board out of the case and paste it into the nice shiny case for the web picture. Some times you just can't win.

ok. that is a perfectly reasonable explanation. please, just do us a favor: if we start getting a flood of FUD over this -- and hopefully we won't -- could you post the original shot?

i realize that VCF is in just a month or so, but it is good to know there is a real photo on offer if needed.

Quote:

We had received a lot of requests about the final Case design and what you see on the website is what we intend to deliver.

ah. this sounds like they haven't sent back a production-ready version of the altered case. no problem -- it looks to be gorgeous when done. we all wish you and A-EON much success. very much looking forward to photos from VCF in a few weeks....

-- eliyahu

ChrisH 
Posted on 6-May-2010 16:27:34
#40 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick
Thanks for clearing that up! Maybe providing BOTH original *and* photoshopped photos would please everyone? (OK, not *everyone*, but maybe most people who are actually interested in buying an X1000.)

@Kronos
If you keep-up your attempts to upset OS4 fans, maybe one day people will take you seriously. Or not.

Last edited by ChrisH on 06-May-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle