Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 agami:  26 mins ago
 Hammer:  32 mins ago
 Hypex:  42 mins ago
 Karlos:  45 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  50 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 cdimauro:  2 hrs ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Seiya:  6 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A-EON and Varisys Announce Partnership
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hisoka999 
Re: A-EON and Varisys Announce Partnership
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 16:59:02
#41 ]

@fairlanefastback

I think he is more like a pessimist. There is some difference between hoping that something is successful and the private analysis that it won't be that successful. It is highly possible that A-EON will fail. Since something like that is normal for startups and even more risky for a startup in a nice area and the amiga "world" is not that large and who knows how many people will truly buy the X1000.
That is the pessimistic way of looking at something new. I rather hope that it will work, since that will bring back some money into the amiga related business and it could be a base to finance some related projects(in theory).

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 17:07:35
#42 ]
Team Member

@Hisoka999

Quote:

Hisoka999 wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I think he is more like a pessimist. There is some difference between hoping that something is successful and the private analysis that it won't be that successful. It is highly possible that A-EON will fail.

And sometimes a person's analysis matches their hope. From what I have read of what he has had to say it is my belief he hopes to see it fail. If I am wrong I am open to hearing about how that is not so.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 18-Jun-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Amiga 1200

Karlos 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 17:17:42
#43 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@persia

Quote:
On a side note, it sure looks like an Apple (PA Semi) chip in the X1000, how's that going to sit with the Apple bashers?

Strange, I don't recall apple having anything to do with PASemi until after they designed the PA6T and I don't recall PASemi ever having any fabrication facility to make them, so fabrication was outsourced to a third party. Ultimately, apple may have bought the IP, but they do have to honour any existing contracts PA Semi had regarding the production of said parts, which again, are fabbed by a different company all together.

So, unless, I'm missing something, I imagine it will sit fine, considering apple have had absolutely nothing to do with the PA6T, if that indeed is what it is :p

ne_one 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 17:38:25
#44 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
And sometimes a person's analysis matches their hope.

Which quite candidly is something apologists can be faulted for as well.

I realize that some people simply enjoy provoking controversy but the choice of the CPU for this project is clearly critical. I'm sure A-EON has selected a processor that is both capable and readily available but until we know what it is the uncertainty is warranted.

And yes, the cynicism and trolling gets old but this platform unfortunately has a history. Hopefully this announcement marks a turning point.

Mechanic 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 18:07:46
#45 ]
Elite Member

Just in case anybody missed a good read.

http://dev.amigans.net/a-eon/NewsRelease-20100618.pdf

Looks like some good talent.

billt 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 19:02:46
#46 ]
Elite Member

Great to hear. I think someone speculated these guys might be a good candidate for that partnership some time ago. Hopefully this will make for a reduction in naysayers going on about "Amiga" hardware only being made by nimrods in their bedroom like how I'd be doing things myself. (though I'm more likely in the living room)

Rogue 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 19:56:19
#47 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
That would depend on how big Varisys is. Are you saying they are a big firm? Can you show some backup to that? If they are big what you are saying makes sense that it might not be a news item for them. But unless you can back that up you seem to just be fishing to throw out a troll.

It doesn't really matter, he's just trying to bait people. Varisys will be in attendance of the show tomorrow, I think that illustrates the importance they put into the project.

Besides, the number is wrong. It's going to be more than 100. A lot more actually. It's a lame trolling attempt.

ssolie 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 21:24:06
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue
Quote:
Varisys will be in attendance of the show tomorrow, I think that illustrates the importance they put into the project.

Actions do speak a lot louder than words. And good luck with the show! I'm looking forward to finding out what happens when I get back (I'll be fishing in Saskatchewan).

This reminds me of a little ditty by William Shatner from his album Has Been (a surprisingly good listen):
Quote:

Riding on their armchairs
They dream of wealth and fame
Fear is their companion
Nintendo is their game
Never done Jack and two thumbs Don
And sidekick don't say Dick
We'll laugh at others failures
Though they have not done ####

It takes a lot of guts to take a risk on a brand new PPC desktop computer. It takes even more guts to put Amiga OS on that system and put it into the marketplace. I really don't think it is necessary to make fun of those taking all the risks and trying hard to do something positive for the Amiga community at large.

Stay cool

Pentrite 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 21:36:43
#49 ]

@ssolie

I'll be fishing all day tomorrow in Guinea-Bissau, but when I get home first thing will be to check AW.net.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 18-Jun-2010 21:44:28
#50 ]
Elite Member

Great news! Look forward to finding out about the show.

tommywright 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 0:13:02
#51 ]

So exciting! Wish I could see the show this weekend.

Panthro 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 0:50:33
#52 ]

wish I could be there at the show ...... sum1 post if they announce anything more about this!!

kadenaa 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 6:00:05
#53 ]

@ssolie

Quote:
It takes a lot of guts to take a risk on a brand new PPC desktop computer. It takes even more guts to put Amiga OS on that system and put it into the marketplace. I really don't think it is necessary to make fun of those taking all the risks and trying hard to do something positive for the Amiga community at large.

I could not agree more. I actually find it saddest for those who put down others for trying. This stems from either them trying and failing so everyone else must fail or not even having the guts to try. These are truly sorry individuals.

My best wishes go to all those working hard on this and other projects. I am greatly looking forward to buying an X1000 and using OS4 for the first time.

Kad.

umisef 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 9:50:03
#54 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Varisys will be in attendance of the show tomorrow, I think that illustrates the importance they put into the project.

(Note: I am explicitly *not* taking a position on whether Varisys does or does not consider this an important project!)

That's not a particularly convincing argument. Considering the Vintage Computer Fair is held about 23 miles from Paul's home, and Paul's history suggests that he might be the kind of person interested in computer history, he probably would have attended, anyway, even if there was no X1000.

To illustrate their perception of importance, an observable action would have to be observably motivated by that importance.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 10:33:06
#55 ]
Cult Member

@Pentrite

[not serious mode]
Is that 50 meter short track indoor fishing?
[/not serious mode]

@All

In every announcement made, one can read between the lines just about anything what fits one's desire. There is, however, no need to try and put down the importance of this announcement, as I think it is important for A-Eon to have a technology partner like Varisys.

Let's all just have some little more patience for the X1000 to be available (either as development system or customer unit) and then form conclusions based on facts about the X1000.

nimrod7 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 10:57:59
#56 ]

@umisef

is the glass half empty or half full ? i think for you the glass is at best half empty, which is ok - everyone can have their own opinion - but there is no way to argue about assumptions.

we are the information society, which means that there is too much info around, so we are not able to process it, which means we must rely on simplifications and this means that often than ever we show our point of view rather than arguments. or we make a point of view look like an argument.

all mentioned above leads to a conclusion that it is always possible to pick holes in sth ;)

EDIT :
@ Amiga_3k yer right and we should have a more patience (like a cheat in the Street Fighter II game.. ;)

Last edited by nimrod7 on 19-Jun-2010 at 10:59 AM.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 8:24:48
#57 ]
Hyperion

@damocles

It is certainly was important enough for Varisys that their two managing partners Adam Barnes and Paul Gentle together with hardware engineer Andrew Armitage came down to the VCF show to field questions about the the hardware.

So I believe we can safely state that your statement is totally off base as per usual<

Darth_X 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 16:49:40
#58 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@damocles

It is certainly was important enough for Varisys that their two managing partners Adam Barnes and Paul Gentle together with hardware engineer Andrew Armitage came down to the VCF show to field questions about the the hardware.

It was so important that.."Two of the pioneers of British synthesiser music, OMD frontmen Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys, will be appearing at Britain’s first Vintage Computer Festival (VCF)."

Mechanic 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:31:02
#59 ]
Elite Member

While watching the VCF vids, I must say I am most gratified with the
enthusiasm of the key people powering the A1-X1000 project.

Though not the perfect venue for introducing a new computer, I'm sure
there will be talk, and the word will spread.

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 22:57:35
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp Quote:

Don't forget that all the X1000 designers signed a Boing-chequered tie!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle