Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  54 secs ago
 VooDoo:  2 mins ago
 A1200:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 retrofaza:  19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Posting from VCF Show
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Boot_WB 
Re: Posting from VCF Show
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:20:04
#141 ]

@Trevordick

Looks like things went well, with the few technical issues one would expect to see at this stage. I'm really pleased things are progressing on track for you, and look forward to getting an A1-X1000 soon after release. Might mean I have to put off buying a house for a couple of months though, but priorities...

Best of luck for today, I'm off to sign up for your beta-tester program now that I can see things progressing on schedule.

Profile     Report this post  
Swoop 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:23:12
#142 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Why not just take a cheap already available platform. why.why. There is 3d there too and other stuff, you could modernise it, it would be fast.
Ahh man, I want one! I want to play with AMIGA I want it to go forward but this isn't helping the cause! This is making it harder for anyone to "buy in"

The problem is that the existing code base is PPC, and that can't be changed in the short term.

My Amigaone cost me 0ver £1400 pounds 7 years ago, and whilst I cannot afford a X1000 at the moment, £200 per annum is not bad at all.

To spend it all at once is a bit of an expense, but as long as you are not expected to upgrade every 6 months, it should be better value for money than the x86 market.

Last edited by Swoop on 20-Jun-2010 at 01:23 PM.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

ilbarbax 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:04:07
#143 ]

I'm really not interested on this discussion abaut price. If you have the many you buy otherwise dream.
I'm really interested on the performances of these new board. Can someone report pls?

Debaser 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:12:57
#144 ]

@ilbarbax

Not too much to report from what I understand. The OS was only HD installable on the X1000 up until just recently. We were told that there is much more hardware optimization to do yet. I hope we are able to see teaser videos posted down the road once beta testers gain the X1000 and things progress.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:13:58
#145 ]
Cult Member

@Swoop

That's what I was thinking as well. Sure, it is a heap of money but I reckon it will be good fun.

Jumping on to the X86-train has it advantages but also its disadvantages. Yes, the hardware is readily available but it's rapidly changing too meaning you have to support a exponential growing amount of add-ons. The way A-eon is doing it right now means they have a strong say in what hardware is to be supported and makes it easier for Hyperion to adapt the OS to support the hardware. . Am I talking nonsense? Well... maybe.... maybe not. Example?

My everyday-use system is a Dell Lattitude D610 laptop. X86 machine, relative common hardware. So based on the X86 preachers this should be a fine, capable and flexible machine. Fine, yes. Capable, yes. Flexible? Forget it! After installing Windows XP using the supplied Dell Windows XP still leaves drivers uninstalled (mainly Intel) so here, at that level, X86 is not Valhalla. Oh it's down to Windows XP? Nope. Tried a number of modern Linux X86 distributions, all seem to lack some out of the box supports needing nights of searching for solutions, which can't always be found. Oh, I even tried Aros, no luck either. So, X86 is readily available, rather well supported but sure no guarantee for joy and fun out of the box.

Yes, the X1000 comes with a price tag. Yes, not everyone is willing to pay for it. See it like the Caterham CSR200. Its a car with a serious pricetag, a lot of potential fun, but not everyone has the money to get one leaving them to buy a mainstream Fiėsta or Corsa.

Jamie_S 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:15:25
#146 ]
Cult Member

@ilbarbax

The machine on display was a bit sluggish but that was because there was loads of debug stuff switched on. Can't really make any judgements yet I guess. Given the relative CPU speeds of the X1k and my Micro for example (and my Micro is very responsive for most things) it should be blisteringly quick.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:16:04
#147 ]

@ALL

I agree with a few people's PROs and CONs.
But here's how I see the Amiga Map as its been planned and discussed and improved.

---SEPT-2010 to JULY-2011---
Sam460 - 1Ghz, PCI-EXP, etc..
* So much free software
* So many emulators
* Classic Software / Even Better E-UAE
* OS4 Specific Software - a lot of it
* Full FIreFox / ThunderBird(??) OS4.1 ports
#Word All Versions (Online)
#Excel All Versions (Online)
#Lots more internet apps (Online)
* JAVA
* FLASH
* MORE UNIX using AmigaCygnix

---DEC-2010 to JULY-2011---
* First round of NatAmi's and better MiniMigs
* Better AROS for x86
* Better MorphOS
* Better WinUAE and Better Classic Hardware Add-ons etc...

---DEC-2010 to JULY-2011---
X1000 - 1.8Ghz, PCI-EXP, etc..
* So much free software
* So many emulators
* Classic Software / Even Better E-UAE
* OS4 Specific Software - a lot of it
* Full FIreFox / ThunderBird(??) OS4.1 ports
#Word All Versions (Online)
#Excel All Versions (Online)
#Lots more Internet apps (Online)
* JAVA
* FLASH
* MORE UNIX using AmigaCygnix

---JULY-2011 to JULY-2012---
* better SMP for both X1000 and SAMxxx - [other new hardware designs - (DEV MACHINES)]
* There's nothing we won't have or won't be able to port, or won't be able to code or emulate

NOT ALL THINGS ARE TRUE, SO DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES

Akiko 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:25:16
#148 ]
Cult Member

@Swoop

Quote:
My Amigaone cost me 0ver £1400 pounds 7 years ago, and whilst I cannot afford a X1000 at the moment, £200 per annum is not bad at all.

Quote:
To spend it all at once is a bit of an expense, but as long as you are not expected to upgrade every 6 months, it should be better value for money than the x86 market.

I sold my 7 year old A1-XE a couple months ago and as a result now have £600 towards a new X1000 . If the new system has anything like the same longevity as the last, I consider it excellent value for money

Last edited by Akiko on 20-Jun-2010 at 02:25 PM.

CD32/ FMV Module

cv643d 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:32:56
#149 ]

Maybe we can set up some kind of donation scheme where trusted Amiga users can register and people donate money, with the money the trusted Amiga user gets an x1000 for free.

For you 25 year olds who can work 18 hour per day and have no kids, family etc and dont understand, you will, once you get your own family.

opi 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:48:39
#150 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

...!

That list was so pointless and imaginary that it actually sucked some air out of our office.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:52:01
#151 ]

@opi

nice, to hear it winded some people, now only question is, .....

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 17:39:05
#152 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

To tell the truth, Dax, i would expect performance improvement not till a powerful hardware falls in the developers hand. We have other hardware in our desk at this moment. Or do you think that people who has bought the sam 2 years ago shouldn't wait for other improvement on his miggy?

Don't get me wrong, but this kind or thoughts are PC/X86 like reasoning. Gimme more mhz, pleazeeee, pimp up my graphics card, overclock my processor and feel the breeze.

What about optimization? I'm quite sure that we can get more and more performance even on the Sam440 533 mhz. Sure i would like to put my hands on an X1000, yes, but in the meanwhile... the devs can optimize our actual systems.

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 20-Jun-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:29:29
#153 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:
Quote:

shortcircuit wrote:
@SHADES

[quote]
You can't even start to compare a $3800.00 AUS AMIGA with a similar spec x86 PC and this is for a HOBBY!

How exactly did you conjure up this figure of AUS$3800.
At todays exchange rate £1500 is about AUS$2550.

@shortcircuit

they said north of 1500 that to me means over. Not less than, the low end or they would have said south of 1500. Maybe 3800 was a little overboard but 3000 isn't far off. I wonder if that includes shipping [/quote]
You are still just pulling numbers out of your rear end though.
North of 1500 could mean anything.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:34:53
#154 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES
Quote:
i'm frustrated cause I can't buy in. That's ALL.

I feel your pain there. I badly want it as well, but there is just no way i could ever afford it.
I hope at the same time that other people will be able to afford it, but i must admit i am very pessimistic about that.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:36:42
#155 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@SHADES

And what is the problem to buy SAM 460, if you can not afford AmigaOne X1000?

Or you want AmigaOne X1000 at the price of SAM 460? Sorry, but in the small Amiga market, this is impossible.

P.S.
@bernd_afa
Please shorten your URLs, because they are breaking the page layout.

Then that means you would have to also own a pc for simple things like HD media playback.
I would much rather be able to use AmigaOS for most tasks instead of having to resort to using my linux box all the time.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:49:19
#156 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg
What about games?
Even the X1000 with a decen pci express card will be dog slow with 3d since hyperion dont have resources to bring real OpenGL to Amiga OS or drivers that perform decently. Even MOS performs much better when it comes to 3D.
And loads of free software?? I still havent even found a native 4.x ftp server that does the job i want.
Still plenty of other software missing that i need as well.

The native software base for 4.1 is among the smallest of any platform.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:51:47
#157 ]
Elite Member

@cv643d

Quote:

cv643d wrote:
Maybe we can set up some kind of donation scheme where trusted Amiga users can register and people donate money, with the money the trusted Amiga user gets an x1000 for free.

For you 25 year olds who can work 18 hour per day and have no kids, family etc and dont understand, you will, once you get your own family.

I dont think there are many 25 year olds here who can afford such a system. I guess things must be really different where you live?? Here the younger generation is the one with least money and people in that age range often study as well and have to work on side during weekends just to afford food and house rent.

Seiya 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 18:55:59
#158 ]

Quote:

Tommo1975 wrote:

Until I either win the lottery, or the price comes down however, I'll go for a SAM460. Hopefully the drivers will be there to enable to plug in a SATA card into the PCI slot, a decent graphics card into the PCI-E x4 slot and a sound card into the PCI-E x1 slot - all this would give me the Amiga platform I want.

there is no significative difference in performance between pci-e x16 and x4, so on a Sam460 you can connect a 4870

Last edited by Seiya on 20-Jun-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Tommo1975 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 19:23:07
#159 ]

@Seiya

Quote:

there is no significative difference in performance between pci-e x16 and x4, so on a Sam460 you can connect a 4870
of course, in this case, bottleneck will be the processor

Good to know about the performance impact of PCI-e x4. Do we know yet the graphics cards that are going to be supported by the next version of OS4.1? I may have missed the news if it's been revealed already.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the impact of the processor being the bottleneck. I don't believe the Amiga platform is suddenly going to see lots of top notch 3D games. I'd use my Amiga for programming, surfing the net, watching DVD's, classic amiga emulation, DOS emulation etc and at present my SAM440 struggles with the emulation and DVD playback elements.

One final question, do we know yet the impact of putting a graphics card into a SAM460 - it'll disable the graphics, but will it also disable the onboard sound? Both the graphics and sound are handled by the same chip are they not, so theoretically, both should be disabled?

It'd be good to know whether and what PCI-e sound cards would be supported by OS4.1 too.

Last edited by Tommo1975 on 20-Jun-2010 at 07:38 PM.

eastone 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 19:46:21
#160 ]

@Tommo1975

And also I would like to know do we can use pci-e sata controllers with sil 3xxx with sam 460ex.
Would be nice to use better than onboard video card and 2xsata II ports with sam 460 :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle